Herbst studied history from 1977 to 1982 at the Humboldt University in Berlin and after graduating as a graduate historian worked as a research assistant at the Museum of German History in Berlin. In 1990 he moved to the Historical Commission in Berlin . From 1998 he worked at the Center for European Social Research at the University of Mannheim . Since 2001 he has worked at the German Resistance Memorial Center .
Herbst's main area of work is historical biography research. He has made a name for himself as the author and co-editor of several standard encyclopedias and handbooks on the KPD and SED as well as on the leadership of the GDR .
- As an author
- with Winfried Ranke, Jürgen Winkler: This is how the GDR worked. 3 volumes. Hamburg 1994.
- with Hermann Weber : German Communists. Biographical Handbook 1918 to 1945 . Dietz, Berlin 2004; 2nd, revised and greatly expanded edition 2008, ISBN 978-3-320-02130-6 .
- with Werner Breunig: Biographical Handbook of Berlin City Councilors and Members of Parliament 1946–1963 (= series of publications by the Berlin State Archives. Volume 14). Landesarchiv Berlin, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-9803303-4-3 .
- with Hermann Weber: German Communists: Supplement to the Biographical Handbook 1918 to 1945. Dietz, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-320-02295-2 .
- As editor
- with Gerd-Rüdiger Stephan, Jürgen Winkler: The SED. History - organization - politics. A manual. Dietz, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-320-01951-1 .
- with Gerd-Rüdiger Stephan and others: The parties and organizations of the GDR. A manual. Berlin 2002.
- with Helmut Müller-Enbergs and others: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition 2010.
- with Mario Niemann : SED squad: The middle level. Biographical encyclopedia of the secretaries of the state and district managements, the prime ministers and the chairmen of the district councils 1946 to 1989. Paderborn / Munich / Vienna / Zurich 2010.
- with Werner Breunig: Biographical manual of the Berlin parliamentarians 1963-1995 and city councilors 1990/1991 (= series of publications of the Berlin State Archives. Volume 19). Landesarchiv Berlin, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-9803303-5-0 .
- Literature by and about Andreas Herbst in the catalog of the German National Library
- For the biographical data cf. Andreas Herbst, Hermann Weber : German Communists. Biographical Handbook 1918 to 1945 . 2nd, revised and greatly expanded edition. Dietz, Berlin 2008, p. 1167, section “Appendix / Authors”.
- Biographical information from the Federal Foundation for Processing
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 20, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|