Helmut Müller-Enbergs (* 1960 in Haltern ) is a German political scientist and head of counter-espionage at the Berlin Office for the Protection of the Constitution . To this end, he is on leave from his position as a research assistant to the Federal Commissioner for Stasi Records.
Müller-Enbergs initially worked as a chemical specialist. From 1985 to 1989 he studied political science, first at the Westphalian Wilhelms University of Münster , then at the Otto Suhr Institute of the Free University of Berlin (FU). From 1986 to 1989 he was a student assistant, then a researcher at the Central Institute for Social Science Research at the University of Berlin, at the same time from 1990 to 1992 spokesman of the Group of Alliance 90 in Brandenburg parliament and scientific staff there in Stolpe-inquiry.
Since 1992 he has been a scientific advisor to the Federal Commissioner for Stasi Records . His research interests were intelligence research, informal collaborators (IM), the Main Intelligence (HV A) of the Ministry for State Security (Stasi), espionage and intelligence psychology . From 2003 until its dissolution in 2005, Müller-Enbergs headed the Rosenholz research group . In 2004 he was head of the public relations department at the Brandenburg Office for the Protection of the Constitution .
In 2007 he was at the Chemnitz University of Technology at Eckhard Jesse Dr. phil. PhD . In 2007/08, Müller-Enbergs was a visiting scholar at the University of Michigan (USA). In 2008/09 he was visiting professor at the humanities faculty of the Syddansk Universitet in Odense ( Denmark ) and has been honorary professor there since 2010 . In 2011/12 he was visiting professor at the historical faculty of Högskolan på Gotland in Visby ( Sweden ), and has also been an honorary professor there since 2012.
In 2018, he became head of counter-espionage at the Berlin Office for the Protection of the Constitution and was given leave of absence from his position as a research assistant to the Federal Commissioner for Stasi Records.
Müller-Enbergs 1996 was co-author of authorities report about Gregor Gysi of the Immunity Committee of the German Bundestag . His publication together with Cornelia Jabs in the Germany Archive exposed the West Berlin police officer Karl-Heinz Kurras as a SED member and Stasi IM "Otto Bohl". Although the head of the research department of the Stasi records authority had released the article for printing in writing, the authority management warned him. Müller-Enbergs successfully complained that this warning was removed from his personnel file.
In 2014 he wrote an expert opinion about Anetta Kahane in her work as Stasi-IM "Victoria".
Since 2010, Müller-Enberg has been an elected member of the commission to review the members of the Brandenburg State Parliament for cooperation with the MfS and the Enquete Commission to come to terms with the history and cope with the consequences of the SED dictatorship and the transition to a democratic constitutional state in the state of Brandenburg . He is on the Advisory Board of the Association June 17, 1953 .
In autumn 2012 the authorities denied him legal counsel in the trial against Wolfgang Deuling and his wife, two alleged GDR spies ("IM Bob" and "IM Petra"). The action against him caused public protest and solidarity, for example by scientists and journalists. At the beginning of 2013, the Deuling couple filed a lawsuit against the naming of their real names in the official publication “ Hauptverwaltung A; Task structures sources "retracted against Mueller Enbergs as an author after the themselves court as incompetent declared and another legal action would have to be found. This allowed Müller-Enbergs to name the Deuling couple by name, as the HV A department brought them in connection, but curiously enough, the federal commissioner for the Stasi files was not. Wolfgang Deuling was the office manager and later personal advisor to Hans-Jürgen Wischnewski .
Müller-Enbergs is married to Conny Müller-Enbergs. The couple has two sons.
- The Rudolf Herrnstadt case. Thaw policy before June 17th. Ch. Links Published by Berlin 1991
- From illegality to parliament. Career and concepts of the new citizen movements. (Ed. With Marianne Schulz and Jan Wielgohs), Berlin 1992, ISBN 978-3-86153-037-4 .
- Alliance 90. Origin - Development - Perspectives. Berlin 1992 (co-editor)
- What does the citizens' movement want? Augsburg 1993 (Ed.)
- The beacon. The victim of Pastor Brüsewitz and the Protestant Church (together with Heike Schmoll and Wolfgang Stock). Frankfurt / Main 1993 (2nd edition Münster 1999)
- Who was who in the GDR? A biographical lexicon. (Ed. With Dieter Hoffmann and Jan Wielgohs) Ch. Links Verlag: 2000/2007/2010, online version
- Who was who in the GDR? 2146 biographies on GDR history. An electronic lexicon under Windows. (Ed. With Bernd-Rainer Barth , Christoph Links and Jan Wielgohs), 1995,
- Unofficial employee of the Ministry of State Security. Part 1: Guidelines and Implementing Regulations. (Ed.) Ch. Links Verlag: Berlin 1996, ISBN 978-3861531456
- Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung 1996: Brigitte Kaff , Gerhard Finn , Frank Hagemann , Peter Maser , Helmut Müller-Enbergs, Günther Wagenlehner , Hermann Wentker The "instrumentalized political cleansing" in the Soviet occupation zone (PDF; 330 kB)
- Unofficial employee of the Ministry of State Security. Part 2: Instructions for working with agents, scouts and spies in the Federal Republic of Germany. (Ed.) Ch. Links Publisher: Berlin 1998
- The face to the West ... GDR espionage against the Federal Republic of Germany. Bremen 2003 (Ed. Together with Georg Herbstritt ) (3rd edition 2006)
- Right and left of democracy. Extremists in the 2004 state elections (together with Jonas Grutzpalk), State Office for the Protection of the Constitution, Potsdam 2004.
- The intelligence school. The I. Course of the School of the Institute for Economic Research (IWF). (Booklets on GDR history, published by the Helle Panke association) Berlin 2006
- Secrecy and transparency. Democratic control of the secret services in an international comparison. Münster 2006 (together with Wolbert K. Smidt , Ulrike Poppe and Wolfgang Krieger )
- "Rosewood". A source review. (Ed. By the BStU) Berlin 2007
- Unofficial employee of the Ministry of State Security. Part 3: Statistics. (Collaboration with Susanne Muhle ) Ch. Links Verlag: Berlin 2007
- Intelligence Service Psychology. Frankfurt / Main 2008 (Mithrsg.)
- The unofficial staff. Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-942130-26-4 .
- Series of publications "Studies in Intelligence Collection and Intelligence Analysis" published by Polizeiwissenschaft. Frankfurt / Main (since 2008).
- Organization security. Frankfurt / Main 2009 (Mithrsg.)
- with Cornelia Jabs June 2, 1967 and the State Security in the on-line "Germany Archive" of the Federal Agency for Civic Education, contribution from May 27, 2009
- The Institute for Economic Research and the Beginnings of GDR Espionage. (Booklets on GDR history, published by the Helle Panke association) Berlin 2010
- East German Foreign Intelligence: Myth, Reality and Controversy. Routledge: London 2010 (together with Thomas Wegener Friis, Kristie Macrakis)
- The Eisenach district office and its unofficial network. (Ed. By the Thuringian State Commissioner for Stasi Documents) Erfurt 2010.
- Markus Wolf versus United States of America. The America department of the Ministry for State Security in "Yearbook for Historical Research on Communism 2010" Berlin 2010, pp. 209ff, ISBN 978-3-351-02690-5 .
- Headquarters A (HV A). Tasks, structures, sources. (= Anatomy of the State Security (MfS-Handbuch) ). The Federal Commissioner for the Records of the State Security Service of the Former German Democratic Republic, Department of Education and Research, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-942130-15-8 ( online version 2013 ) (PDF; 3.2 MB).
- The Greiz district office and its unofficial network (published by the Thuringian State Commissioner for Stasi Records). Erfurt 2011.
- The Almighty Secret Service - A Relic of the Past? On the transformation of the secret services in Central and Eastern Europe after 1990 (together with Wolbert K. Smidt , Irina Mohr). Lit, Berlin. Münster 2012, ISBN 978-3-643-11792-2 .
- The Meiningen district office of the State Security Service. A handout for regional processing. (together with Tom Pleiner). Berlin 2012.
- Minors IM - a research status in the on-line "Germany Archive" of the Federal Agency for Civic Education, article from January 12, 2012.
- with Katharina Kilzer (ed.): Spirit behind bars. The Romanian Memorial Sighet. Frank & Timme, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-86596-546-2 .
- Stasi in Falkensee: Studies - Perspectives - Fates. Metropol, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-86331-219-0 .
- with Irene von Götz: In the sights of the Stasi: espionage in Berlin-Schöneberg. Berlin 2014, ISBN 9783863312145 .
- with Christian Booß: The indiscreet society: Studies on the denunciation complex and on unofficial employees. Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3866763845 .
- Ms. Annette Kahane and the State Security as a summary report from November 26, 2014
- GDR spies in Rostock's secret police twin city of Hamburg in heroic “Chekists”? "Scouts of Peace"? Hamburg politicians as GDR spies in the Cold War. Accompanying volume to the exhibition "Hamburg Politicians as GDR Spies in the Cold War" in the library of the Helmut Schmidt University, edited by Helmut Stubbe da Luz , Hamburg 2015, ISBN 978-3-86818-077-0 , p. 28– 41.
- The four Seasons. Edition Noack & Block, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-86813-027-0 .
- On the psychology of the intelligence services. in Katapult, Greifswald 2015.
- The Stasi in Schleswig-Holstein , in: Overcoming Borders: Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark & the GDR , edited by Aaron Jessen, Elmar Moldenhauer & Karsten Biermann, Husum 2016, ISBN 978-3898768214 , pp. 133–152.
- with Armin Wagner (Ed.): Spies and news dealers: Secret service careers in Germany 1939-1989. Ch. Links Verlag, Berlin 2016. ISBN 978-3-86153-872-1 .
- Ruhrpottspies. GDR espionage in the Ruhr area - using the example of Bochum, Dortmund and Essen , Berlin 2017.
- with Thomas Wegener Friis: The suitcase from Hamburg: One of the estate contains papers from Görlitz that were taken with them on June 17, 1953 when the Stasi headquarters were attacked. In: Sächsische Zeitung , June 15, 2017
- Poetry in the Basescu and Johannis era - Blandina and your speeches to the sciences , in: Why poets in poor time ?: Speeches and essays (German Edition) by Ana Blandiana , Berlin, 2018, ISBN 978-3868130591 , pp. 129-148 .
- Literature by and about Helmut Müller-Enbergs in the catalog of the German National Library
- Müller-Enbergs on the Christoph-Links-Verlag website
- Müller-Enbergs on the website of the Federal Commissioner for the Records of the State Security Service of the former German Democratic Republic
- Müller-Enbergs on the website of the Institute for German Research at the Ruhr University Bochum
- Press release of the German Rubber Industry Association (wdk) on Rubber Day 2018 , accessed on December 16, 2018.
- BStU staff - Dr. Helmut Müller-Enbergs. In: http://www.bstu.bund.de/ . Federal Commissioner for the Records of the State Security Service of the former GDR, 2010, archived from the original on April 11, 2019 ; Retrieved September 8, 2011 .
- Federal Foundation for the Processing of the SED Dictatorship - Publications - Yearbook for Historical Research on Communism - 2010 edition. In: bundesstiftung-aufverarbeitung.de. Retrieved September 3, 2015 .
- Protection of the Constitution goes to school . Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- Helmut Müller-Enbergs: Inofficial employees of the Ministry for State Security Part 3: Statistics . 1st edition. Ch.links, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-86153-441-9 , p. 1024 .
- Helmut Müller-Enbergs . Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- Günter Benser, Stefan Bollinger, Wladislaw Hedeler, Thomas Klein, Helmut Müller-Enbergs, Petra Pau, Jörn Schütrumpf: The GDR lived twice: Colloquium in memoriam Wilfriede Otto (1933-2015), Berlin 2015.
- Press release of the German Rubber Industry Association (wdk) on Rubber Day 2018 , accessed on December 16, 2018.
- Many Stasi informers in the West have not yet been exposed in Die Welt of May 24, 2009
- Top spy and gun fanatic . February 18, 2015. Accessed October 27, 2015. ( Page no longer available , search in web archives )
- Sven Felix Kellerhoff: Birthler's small war . May 21, 2010. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- No warning against Kurras uncoverers , Tagesspiegel, December 1, 2010
- Helmut Müller-Enbergs: Summary expert opinion on Ms. Anetta Kahane and the GDR State Security. Amadeu Antonio Foundation , November 26, 2014, accessed November 25, 2019 .
- Board of Directors. Accessed December 31, 2018 .
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: authorities refuse Stasi researchers legal assistance in the trial against two alleged ex-GDR spies. In: Focus 43/2012.
- Federal Agency for Civic Education: An x-ray of the HV A . August 2, 2013. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- Markus Wehner : Stasi agents at the SPD - For services to people and fatherland in FAZ.net / FAS from October 28, 2012
- burning in Bonn, Stasi terror in the east - review by Wolfgang Kaes , 2013
- Tomas Kittan: Family Müller-Enbergs: This is how we fight for mother Conny. November 22, 2015, accessed December 31, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Holders|