Calendar overview 1839
züriputsch which is
radical-liberal government of the canton of Zurich overthrown.
|Louis Daguerre describes the principle of the daguerreotype before the Académie française .||Sengbe Pieh and other Africans take control of the slave ship La Amistad .|
|Leipzig-Dresden Railway Company operated Leipzig-Dresden railway , the first railway trunk Germany , is completed.|
|1839 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1287/88 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1831/32 (September 11-12)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1244/45 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2382/83 (southern Buddhism); 2381/82 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1201/02 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4172/73 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1254/1255 (turn of the year 16/17 March)|
|Jewish calendar||5599/5600 (September 8/9)|
|Coptic calendar||1555/56 (September 11-12)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2149/50 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2150/51 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1895/96 (April)|
Politics and world events
- February 3rd : The Imperial Austrian Family Statute, the house law of the Habsburg dynasty , comes into force in the Austrian Empire .
- March 9 : The Prussian regulation on the employment of young workers in the factories prohibits child labor before the age of nine. It is considered the first German law on occupational safety .
- April 19 : The London Protocol is signed by the major European powers at the conclusion of the London Conference ; subsequently Belgium is recognized under international law and the province of Limburg becomes part of the German Confederation .
- September 6th : Züriputsch
- December 3rd : With the death of Frederick VI. his cousin Christian VIII becomes King of Denmark and Norway .
- January 16 : Great Britain conquers Aden, Yemen .
- February 3 : The Indian port city of Karachi is captured by British troops because of its strategic location on the river delta of the Indus .
- March 18 : The Emperor of China prohibits foreign trading companies from importing opium into China
- March 24 : The Chinese top official Lin Zexu bans in Canton by performing an imperial edict foreigners the opium trade in China and makes 350 merchants in their factories intern . The action conjured up the First Opium War .
- April 25 : British troops take the city of Kandahar without a fight .
- June 24 : In Nizip, in a battle between the Ottoman Empire under Sultan Mahmud II and Egypt , which had broken away from the Ottoman Empire under Muhammad Ali Pasha , the Khedive , the Ottoman troops under Hafiz Pasha are defeated by the Egyptian troops who were in had conquered Palestine and Syria the years before under the command of Ibrahim Pasha , the son of Muhammad Ali.
- August 23 : The British occupy Hong Kong to have a base of operations for war with the Chinese Empire .
- November 3 : Hatt-ı Sherif ("Noble Handwriting") by Gülhane, reform edict of the Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid I , which marks the beginning of the reforms of the Tanzimat
- November 3 : After a warning shot , fighting in the First Opium War begins in Hong Kong when the British merchant ship Royal Saxon tries to break the British blockade on the Pearl River and sail to Guangzhou .
- January 12th : Defeat of the Peruvian fleet in the Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation War
- January 20 : War of the Confederation : In the Battle of Yungay General defeated Agustín Gamarra with his troops and the help of Chile 's army of the alliance of Peru and Bolivia under Andrés de Santa Cruz , who thus his position as protector of peru-Bolivian Republic loses. General Gamarra becomes President of Peru again.
- August 25 : The Republic of Northern Peru , like the Republic of Southern Peru, is absorbed into reunified Peru . The Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation is ended at the same time.
North and Central America
- August 26 : The alleged pirate ship La Amistad is seized by the USS Washington off Long Island . The Amistad Trials that followed contributed to the abolition of slavery in the United States .
- November 13 : The Liberty Party is founded as the first anti-slavery movement in United States history .
- November 11th : Voortrekker found the Boer state Natalia in the east of South Africa because they want to be independent from Great Britain .
Voyages of discovery
- February 9th : John Balleny , the captain of a British whaler , discovers Sturge Island in the Southern Ocean , the first of the Balleny Islands named after him . His companion Thomas Freeman enters the country.
- September 6th : The Polynesian atoll Ahe - one of the last in the Tuamotu Archipelago - is discovered and mapped by US Navy Officer Charles Wilkes .
- Charles Wilkes arrives at the Wilkes Land named after him and presumably discovered the continent of Antarctica .
- The Colonia insurance company is founded in Cologne .
- The Lower Austrian Trade Association is founded.
- January: The Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge opens in Pennsylvania, the first railroad bridge over the Susquehanna River .
- April 7 : With the commissioning of the same bridge of Riesa is by the after nearly four years of construction Leipzig-Dresden Railway Company operated the first railway trunk Germany , the Leipzig-Dresden railway completed. At the same time, the Leipzig train station in Dresden , which has been in operation since the previous year, will be officially opened.
- 20 September : between Amsterdam and Haarlem is the first railroad in the Netherlands commissioned. The Oude Lijn will later become the Amsterdam – Rotterdam railway line .
- September 26 : The first part of the of Paul Camille Denis built Taunus Railway from the Taunus station , built by the Mainz master builder Ignaz sacrifice man at the Taunusanlage in Frankfurt am Main , the Nassau town Höchst am Main is opened. On November 24th , the railroad reaches Hattersheim .
- December 31 : The first German horse-drawn bus line between Hamburg and Altona in Denmark and Holstein goes into operation.
science and technology
- January 7th : Louis Daguerre describes the principle of the daguerreotype before the French Academy of Sciences .
- November 15 : Foundation of the Corps Franconia Karlsruhe
- Discovery of vulcanization by Charles Goodyear
- Christian Friedrich Schönbein discovers ozone .
- Alexandre Edmond Becquerel comes across the photoelectric effect during experiments .
- Theodor Schwann and Matthias Jakob Schleiden establish the cell theory .
- Foundation of the Mineralogical Museum Hamburg
- March 23 : The use of OK as an abbreviation for oll korrect is documented for the first time in the Boston Morning Post .
- The most famous version of the painting The Poor Poet by Carl Spitzweg is created. The first version dates from 1837 .
- Foundation of the Cologne Art Association
- August: The satirical short story The Man That Was Used Up by Edgar Allan Poe appears in Burton's Gentleman's Magazine for the first time . In the same year appear with The Fall of the House of Usher ( The Fall of the House of Usher ), another short story of the author, the work as an example of black romance applies.
- September: The socially critical social novel Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens appears and is translated into German by Karl Heinrich Hermes in the same year .
- La Chartreuse de Parme - Stendhal
- Deerbrook - Harriet Martineau
- Diary in America - Frederick Marryat
- Jack Sheppard - William Harrison Ainsworth
- Marianna - Jules Sandeau
- The Phantom Ship - Frederick Marryat
- The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin
Music and theater
- January 8 : The world premiere of the opera Romilda of Ferdinand Hiller takes place at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan.
- February 8th : The romantic opera Die Genueserin by Peter Joseph von Lindpaintner is premiered at the Theater am Kärntnertor in Vienna .
- March 9 : The world premiere of the opera Il bravo by Saverio Mercadante takes place at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan.
- March 21 : Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy conducts the posthumous world premiere of Franz Schubert's Great Symphony in C major at the Gewandhaus in Leipzig at the suggestion of Robert Schumann . However, the symphony was slow to gain acceptance.
- April 15 : The comic opera Les treize by Jacques Fromental Halévy is premiered at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- May 20th : The opera Die Regenbrüder by Ignaz Lachner is premiered in Stuttgart.
- September 20 : The world premiere of the Komische Oper Caramo or Das Fischerstechen by Albert Lortzing takes place at the Stadttheater in Leipzig .
- November 17th : Oberto conte di San Bonifacio , Giuseppe Verdi's first opera , is premiered at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. Although the opera, based on a libretto by Antonio Piazza and Temistocle Solera, was a success at the world premiere , it failed to establish itself in the operatic repertoire in the following years .
- Founding of the Archdiocese of Addis Ababa . The Italian missionary Justinus de Jacobis becomes the first bishop on March 10th
- November 25 : About India raging cyclone , the tidal waves brings. The disaster costs an estimated 300,000 deaths. The port city of Coringa is totally destroyed and no longer rebuilt afterwards.
- June 14th : The first Henley Regatta is held on the Thames . The rowing competition is so popular that it is decided to repeat it every year.
- The Freudenau racecourse near Vienna opens.
- January 1 : Ouida , English writer († 1908 )
- January 4 : Carl Humann , German engineer, architect and archaeologist († 1896 )
- January 5 : Gottfried Lindauer , Czech painter († 1926 )
- January 6 : Basilio Haggiar , Syrian Archbishop († 1919 )
- January 9 : John Knowles Paine , American composer († 1906 )
- January 11 : Eugenio María de Hostos , Puerto Rican writer and educator († 1903 )
- January 11 : Elisabeth Järnefelt , patron of Finnish culture and art, mother-in-law of Jean Sibelius († 1929 )
- January 17 : Wilhelm von Diez , German painter († 1907 )
- January 19 : Paul Cézanne , French painter († 1906 )
- January 25 : August Gottlieb Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Ammann , German poet, writer and high school teacher († 1910 )
- January 25 : Heinrich Moldenschardt , German architect († 1891 )
- January 31 : Curt von Knobelsdorff , Prussian lieutenant colonel († 1904 )
- February 2 : Wolfgang Helbig , German archaeologist († 1915 )
- February 9 : Silas Adams , American politician († 1896 )
- February 11 : Josiah Willard Gibbs , American physicist († 1903 )
- February 14 : Hermann Hankel , German mathematician († 1873 )
- February 14 : Leopold Pfaundler von Hadermur , Austrian physicist († 1920 )
- February 15 : Hieronymous Georg Zeuthen , Danish professor of mathematics († 1920 )
- February 18 : August Thon , German legal scholar († 1912 )
- February 19 : Friedrich Althoff , Prussian cultural politician († 1908 )
- February 27 : Victor Capoul , French opera singer († 1924 )
- March 2 : Françis Planté , French pianist († 1934 )
- March 3 : Jamshedji Tata , Indian entrepreneur and industrialist († 1904 )
- March 6 : Olegario Víctor Andrade , Argentine poet († 1882 )
- March 6 : Reinhard Kekulé von Stradonitz , German archaeologist († 1911 )
- March 7th : Ludwig Mond , German-British chemist and industrialist († 1909 )
- March 8 : Josephine Cochrane , American inventor of the dishwasher († 1913 )
- March 8 : James Mason Crafts , American chemist († 1917 )
- March 9 : Maria Zanders , German entrepreneur and benefactor of culture († 1904 )
- March 10 : Joaquin Miller , American writer († 1913 )
- March 10 : Heinrich Roller , German stenographer († 1916 )
- March 11 : Arthur Pue Gorman , American politician († 1906 )
- March 11 : Franz von Meran , son of Archduke Johann († 1891 )
- March 16 : Sully Prudhomme , French poet († 1907 )
- March 17 : Josef Gabriel Rheinberger , Liechtenstein composer († 1901 )
- March 17 : Hendrik Wefers Bettink , Dutch pharmacologist († 1921 )
- March 18 : Heinrich Adam , German-Austrian architect and Viennese councilor († 1905 )
- March 18 : Karl Dilthey , German classical philologist († 1907 )
- March 21 : Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky , Russian composer († 1881 )
- March 23 : Julius von Hann , Austrian mathematician and meteorologist († 1921 )
- March 25 : Marianne Hainisch , Austrian founder and leader of the women's movement († 1936 )
- March 27 : Gottlieb Viehe , German Protestant missionary († 1901 )
- March 30th : Paul-Alcide Blancpain , Swiss brewery entrepreneur († 1899 )
- April 3 : Heinrich Nissen , German ancient historian († 1912 )
- April 3 : Carl du Prel , German philosopher, spiritualist and occult writer († 1899 )
- April 7 : David Baird , American politician († 1927 )
- April 11 : Ludwig Auer , German Christian educational reformer, writer, publisher and entrepreneur († 1914 )
- April 12 : Nikolai Prschewalski , Russian military and explorer († 1888 )
- April 18 : Henry Kendall , Australian writer († 1882 )
- April 19 : Georg Adalbert Huhn , pastor and prelate in Munich, member of the Bavarian Chamber of Deputies († 1903 )
- April 20 : Charles I , Romanian prince and king († 1914 )
- April 23 : Robert MA Hawk , American politician († 1882 )
- April 25 : Ernst Faber , German sinologist and missionary († 1899 )
- April 30 : Karl Salvator , Austrian Archduke and Prince of Tuscany († 1892 )
- April 30 : Floriano Peixoto , Brazilian politician and military man († 1895 )
- May 1 : Hilaire de Chardonnet , French chemist and industrialist († 1924 )
- May 3 : Franz Weineck , German high school director and local researcher († 1921 )
- May 5 : Henry Nettleship , English philologist († 1893 )
- May 13 : Franz Michael Felder , Austrian writer († 1869 )
- May 19 : Joseph Maria von Radowitz , German diplomat († 1912 )
- May 22 : Thomas Charles Power , American politician († 1923 )
- May 28 : Wilhelm von Hartel , Austrian classical philologist and Minister for Education and Culture († 1907 )
- May 30th : Hermann Naftali Adler , Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom († 1911 )
- June 3 : Warren Otis Arnold , American politician († 1910 )
- June 3 : Paul Lindau , German writer, playwright and theater director († 1919 )
- June 6 : Julius Peter Christian Petersen , Danish mathematician († 1910 )
- June 9 : Paul Sorauer , German botanist († 1916 )
- June 10 : Ion Creangă , Romanian writer († 1889 )
- June 10 : Ludvig Holstein Ledreborg , Danish politician († 1912 )
- June 11 : Adriaan Joseph Heymans , Belgian landscape painter († 1921 )
- June 16 : Adolf Breymann , German sculptor († 1878 )
- June 18 : Martin Greif , German poet († 1911 )
- June 18 : Oskar Becker , German assassin († 1868 )
- June 20 : Traugott Hermann von Arnim-Muskau , German diplomat and member of parliament († 1919 )
- June 21 : Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis , Brazilian author († 1908 )
- June 21 : John Decatur Barry , Brigadier General of the Confederate Civil War († 1867 )
- June 24th : Emanuel Herrmann , Austrian economist and inventor of the postcard († 1902 )
- June 27 : August Wilhelm Otto Niemann , German writer († 1919 )
- June 27 : George Mary Searle , American astronomer and clergyman († 1918 )
- July 8 : John D. Rockefeller , American entrepreneur († 1937 )
- July 10 : Adolphus Busch , German-American entrepreneur, brewery owner († 1913 )
- July 11 : Julius Euting , German librarian († 1913 )
- July 12 : David Edward Cronin , American painter († 1925 )
- July 14 : Alexander Linnemann , German architect, glass painter and craftsman († 1902 )
- July 15 : Eduard Köllner , German composer († 1891 )
- July 17 : Friedrich Gernsheim , German pianist, conductor and composer († 1916 )
- July 20 : Gisbert von Romberg II. , Westphalian nobleman († 1897 )
- July 25 : Francis Garnier , French explorer († 1873 )
- July 25 : Emil Usteri , Swiss Jesuit and university professor in India († 1914 )
- July 26 : Max Auzinger , German magician and actor († 1928 )
- July 27 : Hermann Struckmann , German lawyer († 1922 )
- July 31 : Ignacio Andrade Troconis , Venezuelan officer and politician († 1925 )
- August 1 : Middleton Barrow , American politician († 1903 )
- August 4 : Walter Pater , English essayist and critic († 1894 )
- August 7 : Eduard Ebel , German Protestant pastor and poet († 1905 )
- August 8 : Otto Finsch , German explorer († 1917 )
- August 8 : Nelson Appleton Miles , American general († 1925 )
- August 9 : Carl Theodor in Bavaria , father-in-law of the Belgian King Albert I († 1909 )
- August 17 : Abdyl Frashëri , Albanian politician († 1892 )
- August 18 : Hugh Archibald Clarke , Canadian composer († 1927 )
- August 22 : Johann Georg Mönckeberg , German politician, First Mayor of Hamburg († 1908 )
- August 23 : George Clement Perkins , 14th Governor of California († 1923 )
- August 24 : Eduard Nápravník , Czech conductor and composer († 1916 )
- August 26 : Hernando Money , American politician († 1912 )
- September 1 : Otto Pfleiderer , German Protestant theologian († 1908 )
- September 2 : Bernhard Naunyn , German doctor (internist and cancer researcher) († 1925 )
- September 5 : Franz Krolop , German singer († 1897 )
- September 5 : Richard von Poschinger , German painter († 1915 )
- September 6 : Karl Jonas Mylius , German architect († 1883 )
- September 8 : August Schreiber , German pastor and missionary († 1903 )
- September 10 : Charles Sanders Peirce , American mathematician, philosopher and logician († 1914 )
- September 12 : Hagbard Berner , Norwegian publicist and politician († 1920 )
- September 17 : Johann Eduard Jacobsthal , German architect († 1902 )
- September 18 : John Aitken , British physicist and meteorologist († 1919 )
- September 23 : Christopher Bruun , Norwegian clergyman and founder of the Norwegian Adult Education Center († 1920 )
- September 27 : Christoph Arnold , German politician († 1893 )
- September 28 : Caroline Luxburg Abbot , German writer († after 1914)
- September 29 : James Kimbrough Jones , American politician († 1908 )
- October 2 : Hans Thoma , German painter and graphic artist († 1924 )
- October 7th : Justus Knecht , German Catholic theologian and writer († 1921 )
- October 8 : Johannes Otzen , German architect († 1911 )
- October 10 : Francisco Giner de los Ríos , Spanish philosopher and educator († 1915 )
- October 15 : Aretas B. Fleming , American politician († 1923 )
- October 15 : Franz Treller , German actor and writer († 1908 )
- October 15 : Chester B. Jordan , American politician († 1914 )
- October 18 : Johann August Edmund Mojsisovics von Mojsvár , Austrian palaeontologist and geologist († 1907 )
- October 19 : Adolf von Guttenberg , Austrian professor of forestry († 1917 )
- October 19 : Almon B. Strowger , American inventor († 1902 )
- October 20 : Florêncio Carlos de Abreu e Silva , Brazilian lawyer, journalist, author and politician († 1881 )
- October 21 : Georg von Siemens , German banker († 1901 )
- October 30th : Adolph Freiherr von Asch zu Asch auf Oberndorff , German general († 1906 )
- October 30 : Alfred Sisley , French impressionist painter († 1899 )
- November 1st : Ahmed Muhtar Pascha , Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire († 1919 )
- November 3 : Pomaré V , Tahitian king († 1891 )
- November 4 : Thomas MacDonald Patterson , American politician († 1916 )
- November 7th : Henry Holmes , English composer, violinist and music teacher († 1905 )
- November 7th : Hermann Levi , German orchestra conductor († 1900 )
- November 18 : August Kundt , German physicist († 1894 )
- November 20 : Otto Welter , German lawyer and mountaineer († 1880 )
- November 24th : Georg Wilhelm Ferdinand von Amann , Prussian general († 1928 )
- November 28 : Crescente Errázuriz Valdivieso , Chilean Dominican friar, Archbishop of Santiago de Chile, church historian and lawyer († 1931 )
- November 29 : Ludwig Anzengruber , Austrian playwright, narrator and poet († 1889 )
- November 29 : Elisha Dyer junior , American politician († 1906 )
- December 5 : Pascual Ortega Portales , Chilean painter († 1899 )
- December 5 : George Armstrong Custer , American cavalry general († 1876 )
- December 7th : Redvers Buller , British commander in chief in the first phase of the Boer War († 1908 )
- December 7th : Gustav Mützel , German painter († 1893 )
- December 13 : George Washington Steele , American politician († 1922 )
- December 14 : Gottlieb Leuchtenberger , German educator and philosopher († 1914 )
- December 16 : José Miguel Blanco , Chilean sculptor († 1897 )
- December 18 : Emilio Praga , Italian painter, writer and librettist († 1875 )
- December 18 : Théodule Ribot , French psychologist and philosopher († 1916 )
- December 22nd : John Nevil Maskelyne , British stage magician and inventor († 1917 )
- December 23 : Otto Kersten , German African explorer, chemist and geographer († 1900 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Max Amberger , German instrument maker († 1889 )
- Nawab Mohammad Mazahr ud-Din Khan Asman Jah Rafath Jung , Indian prince († 1898 )
- Ali Rıza Efendi , father of the state founder of Turkey Mustafa Kemal Ataturk († 1888 )
- Mardiros Minakyan , Armenian actor, theater director and founder of the modern Turkish theater († 1920 )
- Frederick Augustus Packer , Australian organist, composer and music teacher († 1902 )
- George Rignold , Australian actor († 1912 )
- John Player , British entrepreneur († 1884 )
First half of the year
- January 2 : Josef Krasoslav Chmelenský , Czech critic, poet, librettist and educator (* 1800 )
- January 4th : Jean-Augustin Franquelin , French painter (* 1798 )
- January 8 : Christian Jacob Wagenseil , German writer, educator and publicist (* 1756 )
- January 10 : Christoph von Lieven , Russian general and diplomat (* 1777 )
- January 12 : Joseph Anton Koch , Austrian painter (* 1768 )
- January 19 : Ludwig Wilhelm , Landgrave of Hessen-Homburg (* 1770 )
- January 26 : Stephen Van Rensselaer , American politician, general and philanthropist (* 1764 )
- February 1 : Albrecht Besserer von Thalfingen , Bavarian General and Minister of War (* 1787 )
- February 1 : Giuseppe Valadier , Italian architect, town planner, archaeologist and goldsmith (* 1762 )
- February 6th : Heinrich August Wilhelm von Bülow , head forester (* 1782 )
- February 14 : Gottlieb Friedrich Wagner , Swabian dialect poet (* 1774 )
- February 15 : Thomas Dolliner , Austrian lawyer and university professor (* 1760 )
- February 16 : Ludwig Berger , German composer, pianist and piano teacher (* 1777 )
- February 23 : Michail Speranski , Russian statesman and liberal reformer (* 1772 )
- February 24th : Roch-Ambroise Auguste Bébian , first non-deaf ruler of sign language (* 1789 )
- February 24 : Johann Gotthelf Richter , German lawyer (* 1778 )
- March 1 : Carl Friedrich Ludwig von Gontard , Berlin lieutenant colonel and honorary citizen (* 1764 )
- March 5 : Andreas Kretzschmer , German lawyer and folk song researcher (* 1775 )
- March 8 : Christian Friedrich von Cochenhausen , Hessian lieutenant general and minister of war as well as library founder (* 1769 )
- March 8th : Aloisia Lange , singer (soprano), one of the most important interpreters of Mozart's works of her time
- March 13 : Johann Schön , Austrian lawyer, political scientist and writer (* 1802 )
- March 19 : Stephan Schütze , German writer, belonged to the Goethe Circle (* 1771 )
- March 20 : Caspar Voght , German entrepreneur, social reformer (* 1752 )
- March 24th : Christian Gottlob Wild , German pastor and founder of dialect poetry in the Ore Mountains (* 1785 )
- April 1 : Benjamin Pierce , American politician (* 1757 )
- April 7th : Tobias Feilner , German master potter and pottery manufacturer (* 1773 )
- April 8 : Pierre Prévost , French-Swiss philosopher and physicist (* 1751 )
- April 10 : Daniel Steinmann , Swiss businessman and politician (* 1779 )
- April 18 : Johann Gottfried Pahl , Wuerttemberg author, clergyman and politician (* 1768 )
- April 22nd : Samuel Smith , American politician (* 1752 )
- April 29 : Duncan McArthur , American politician (* 1772 )
- May 4 : Denis Dawydow , Russian war writer and poet (* 1784 )
- May 5 : Eduard Gans , German lawyer, legal philosopher and historian (* 1798 )
- May 7 : José María Heredia , Cuban poet (* 1803 )
- May 13 : Joseph Fesch , French cardinal (* 1763 )
- May 18 : Caroline Bonaparte , sister of Napoleon Bonaparte, Queen of Naples (* 1782 )
- May 21 : Johann Christoph Friedrich GutsMuths , German teacher and co-founder of gymnastics (* 1759 )
- May 25 : Karl Joseph von Riccabona , Bishop of Passau (* 1761 )
- June 13 : Jacob Friedrich Georg Emmrich , German lawyer and university professor (* 1766 )
- June 17 : William Cavendish-Bentinck , British general and statesman (* 1774 )
- June 20 : Amalie Tischbein , German draftsman, miniature painter and etcher (* 1757 )
- June 21 : Bonifác Buzek , Czech priest, educator, philosopher and educator (* 1788 )
- June 23 : Hester Stanhope , American adventurer (* 1776 )
- June 23 : Juan Cruz Varela , Argentine writer, journalist and politician (* 1794 )
Second half of the year
- July 1 : Mahmud II , Ottoman Sultan (* 1785 )
- July 5 : Karl Friedrich Zepernick , German jurist and judge (* 1751 )
- July 10 : Fernando Sor , Spanish guitarist and composer (* 1778 )
- July 16 : Christian August Günther , German lawyer (* 1758 )
- July 28 : Philipp Wilhelm van Heusde Dutch philosopher, historian, philologist, librarian and rhetorician (* 1778 )
- August 28 : François Régis de La Bourdonnaye , French minister (* 1767 )
- August 28 : William Smith , English engineer and geologist (* 1769 )
- September 1 : Vicenç Cuyàs , Catalan composer (* 1816 )
- September 9 : Johann Christoph Funck , German brewery owner and politician (* 1759 )
- September 9 : Johannes Hegetschweiler , Swiss physician, botanist and politician (* 1789 )
- September 12 : Paul Julius Arter , Swiss draftsman and etcher (* 1797 )
- September 20 : Thomas Masterman Hardy , British naval officer, admiral (* 1769 )
- September 24 : Robert Young Hayne , American politician (* 1791 )
- September 26 : Georg Gottlieb Ammon , German horse breeder and author (* 1780 )
- September 28 : William Dunlap , American painter and writer (* 1766 )
- September 29 : Friedrich Mohs , German mineralogist (* 1773 )
- September 30 : Joseph François Michaud , French historian (* 1767 )
- November 12th : Nahum Parker , American politician (* 1760 )
- November 15 : William Murdoch , Scottish inventor (* 1754 )
- November 17 : Pierre-Louis de Blacas d'Aulps , French statesman and diplomat (* 1771 )
- November 21 : Nikolaus von Flüe , Swiss officer in the French service and governor (* 1763 )
- December 3 : Friedrich VI. , Danish and Norwegian king (* 1768 )
- December 6th : Christoph Wilhelm Zuckermandel , German tailor and mathematician (* 1767 )
- December 7th : Andreas Metz , German clergyman, philosopher, mathematician and professor (* 1767 )
- December 7th : Jan August Vitásek , Bohemian composer (* 1770 )
- December 10th : Johann Daniel Hensel , German educator, writer and composer (* 1757 )
- December 19 : Meinrad Amann , Austrian abbot of St. Paul Abbey (* 1785 )
- December 21 : Andreas Dung-Lac , Vietnamese Catholic priest (* 1785 )
- December 22nd : Robert Todd Lytle , American politician (* 1804 )
- December 30th : William Hilton , English painter (* 1786 )
- December 30th : Abraham J. Williams , American politician (* 1781 )