Austrian trade association
The Austrian Trade Association (ÖGV) was founded in 1839 as the Lower Austrian Trade Association and is a non-partisan association for entrepreneurs with voluntary membership.
- The beginning and heyday
As an elite business interest group, the trade association was and is the focal point of numerous initiatives:
- World Exhibition 1873 in the Vienna Prater
- Commercial exhibition in Vienna in 1880
- Jubilee trade exhibition in Vienna in 1888
- Jubilee exhibition in 1898
- Founding of Urania (Vienna)
- Technological Trade Museum (TGM)
- Technical Museum Vienna
- Founding of the Vienna Chamber of Commerce (its first president, Theodor von Hornbostel was a functionary of the ÖGV)
Significant influence by Wilhelm Exner
The ÖGV has awarded the Wilhelm Exner Medal every year since 1921 :
“The award should be made to personalities who have directly or indirectly promoted the economy in an outstanding manner through special scientific achievements. In particular, those achievements are to be honored that are important in the area of entrepreneurial medium-sized companies. "
- After World War II
The reactivation of the devastated Palais Eschenbach began as early as 1946.
In January 1947 the association was re-established.
Today the Austrian Trade Association is divided into branch and professional associations.
The major compulsory representations in Austria are on the
Voluntary representation of interests also take on:
- the Austrian trade union federation for employees
- the industrial association and the trade association for employers and liberal professions
The focus of the tasks of the Austrian Trade Association is the representation of the concerns of the members in the formation of public opinion . This is achieved through advocacy , lobbying and press work for the entrepreneurs . Members of the trade association come from industry , trade , commerce and the liberal professions .
All organ functions can only be exercised by association members. The organs of the Austrian Trade Association include:
- General Assembly
- Board of Directors
- Electoral Commission
- Secretary General
- Arbitration board
Membership in the Austrian Trade Association is ordinary, extraordinary, promotional or corresponding. In addition, there is the possibility of youth and student membership as well as honorary membership.
The Austrian trade association is financed through the contributions of the members, the association newspaper and the leasing of the Palais Eschenbach .
Wilhelm Exner Medal
- ÖGV in-house production: 175 years of the Austrian Trade Association - The Chronology of the Austrian Trade Association , 2014.
- P. Müller: 110 years of the Austrian Trade Association , 1949.
- J. Bittner: Festschrift 150 Years of the Trade Association , 1989.
- E. Engelmann: The Austrian Trade Association , diploma thesis, Vienna 1989.
- H. Kainz, important protagonist , in: Austria innovativ 4, 1994.
- Austrian trade association
- Entry on Austrian trade association in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Statutes of the ÖGV ( Memento of November 21, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Timetable of the ÖGV ( Memento from November 23, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- History of the Eschenbach Palace, accessed on June 12, 2020 in Palais-eschenbach.at
- Purpose, from May 11, 2016 ( PDF; page 1 )
- organs of the association, dated May 11, 2016 ( PDF; page 6 )
- Membership, May 11, 2016 ( PDF; page 2 )