Theodor von Hornbostel
Theodor Hornbostel was the descendant of a family originally from Lower Saxony , with Heinrich Hornbostel mentioned there in a document from 1534–1545, and the son of Christian Georg Hornbostel (1778–1841) and Auguste Friederike Johanne Becker (1787–1842). His cousin was Carl von Hornbostel , his grandson was Erich von Hornbostel .
Hornbostel married Helene Winckler on April 24, 1843 in Vienna (born September 24, 1815 in Vienna; † December 29, 1889 there), the daughter of Johann Daniel Winckler and Viktoria Barbara Kettl. She became known as a women's rights activist who, among other things, co-founded the Vienna Women's Acquisition Association .
Hornbostel became Austrian Minister of Commerce in 1848 and shortly afterwards President of the Vienna Chamber of Commerce in 1849, which he remained until 1851. As director of the “Credit Institute for Trade and Industry” and Vice President of the “Kaiserin-Elisabeth-Westbahn”, Hornbostel was elevated to the Austrian knighthood on November 7, 1860 in Vienna when he was awarded the Iron Crown Order, 3rd class .
Hornbostelgasse in Vienna- Mariahilf (6th district) has been named after him since 1855 .
His grave is on the Matzleinsdorf Evangelical Cemetery (right, 5th cross way, 3rd crypt 36) in Vienna.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Hornbostel, Friedrich Theodor Ritter von . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 9th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1863, pp. 299–302 ( digitized version ).
- Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 2, Publishing House of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1959, p. 423 f. (Direct links on , ). In:
- Gustav Otruba : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 9, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1972, ISBN 3-428-00190-7 , p. 634 f. ( ).
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels , Adelslexikon Volume V, page 361, Volume 84 of the complete series, CA Starke Verlag, Limburg (Lahn) 1984,
- Gustav Reingrabner: Evangelicals in Austria. - The share of Protestants in Austrian culture and history. Catalog for the exhibition of the same name in the Austrian National Library, Vienna, November 1996 to February 1997 . Evangelical Press Association in Austria, Vienna 1996, ISBN 3-85073-675-X , p. 194.
- Friedrich Umlauft: Name book of the streets and squares of Vienna - on behalf of the municipality of Vienna . Hartleben, Vienna (among others) 1905, p. 46.
- Theodor von Hornbostel in the Vienna History Wiki of the City of Vienna
- Entry on Theodor von Hornbostel in the Austria Forum (biography)
|SURNAME||Hornbostel, Theodor von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hornbostel, Theodor Friedrich (name until 1860); Hornbostel, Theodor Ritter von (name from 1860)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian soap manufacturer and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 29, 1815|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 2, 1888|
|Place of death||Vienna|