Johann von Wessenberg
He was the son of Baron Philipp Karl von Wessenberg, who had worked as the Austrian envoy in Dresden. He spent most of his youth in Alsace and France . After his father's death in 1794, he joined the Austrian government in Freiburg in the Austrian civil service. He was Austrian envoy in Berlin from 1809 to 1810 , from 1811 to 1813 and from 1818 to 1820 in the same position in Munich and from 1830 to 1835 in The Hague . From June to November 1848 Johann von Wessenberg was Minister of Foreign Affairs and Prime Minister . When troops of the Imperial and Royal Army were supposed to move from Vienna against rebellious Hungary on October 6, 1848 , the Vienna October Uprising occurred . Minister of War von Latour, who had ordered the troops to march, was lynched by the angry crowd . After the rebels succeeded in conquering the Imperial Armory in Renngasse, Emperor Ferdinand , the imperial military and the government of Vienna left. Imperial troops under Prince Windisch-Graetz brought the capital Vienna back under their control by October 31. On November 21, 1848 Felix zu Schwarzenberg was appointed to succeed Wessenbergs as Prime Minister.
- Letters from Johann Philipp Freiherrn von Wessenberg from the years 1848–1858 to Isfordint-Kostnitz, Austrian Legation Councilor a. D. 2 volumes. Leipzig 1877.
- Kurt Aland : The letters of Johann Philipps von Wessenberg to his brother . Herder, Freiburg im Breisgau 1987.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Wessenberg-Ampringen, Johann Philipp Freiherr . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 55th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1887, pp. 161–168 ( digitized version ).
- Alfred von Arneth : Johann Freiherr von Wessenberg. A 19th century Austrian statesman . 2 volumes, W. Braumüller, Vienna 1898.
- Alfred Ritter von Arneth : Wessenberg, Johann Freiherr von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 42, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1897, pp. 157-173.
- Erwin Matsch: The Foreign Service of Austria (-Hungary) 1720-1920 . Böhlau Verlag , Vienna 1986, p. ? .
|Ludwig Philip of Bombelles (Gt)||
Austrian envoy in Berlin
|Stefan von Zichy-Zich-Vásonykeö|
Austrian envoy in Munich
|Karl of Hruby (Gt)||
Austrian envoy in Munich
|Joseph von Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg|
|Felix von Mier||
Austrian envoy in The Hague
|Johann Hieronymus von Allegri (Gt)|
|SURNAME||Wessenberg, Johann von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wessenberg-Ampringen, Johann Philipp Freiherr von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian diplomat and statesman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 28, 1773|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 1, 1858|
|Place of death||Freiburg in Breisgau|