Calendar overview 1773
Boston Tea Party ”, Boston citizens throw
tea from the British East India Trading Company into the harbor basin .
the Pugachev uprising begins
under the leadership of
Yemeljan Pugachev .
|James Cook is the first person to cross the Arctic Circle .|
|1773 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1221/22 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1765/66 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1178/79 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2316/17 (southern Buddhism); 2315/16 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||74th (75th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1135/36 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4106/07 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1151/52 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1186/87 (March 24/25)|
|Jewish calendar||5533/34 (September 17/18)|
|Coptic calendar||1489/90 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2083/84 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2084/85 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1829/30 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 31 : Frederick the Great forms the new province of West Prussia by decree and can now call himself King of Prussia .
- August 27th : The Treaty of Tsarskoye Selo regulates the largest barter of the 18th century. Denmark receives Holstein , while Lübeck Prince-Bishop Friedrich August I receives the Duchy of Oldenburg, which was created shortly thereafter .
- September 17 : The Pugachev uprising begins in Russia under the leadership of Yemeljan Ivanovich Pugachev .
- September 18 : The Polish King Stanisław August Poniatowski and the Rzeczpospolita on the one hand and the Prussian King Friedrich II on the other hand sign the Warsaw Treaty , with which the Pomerelles are ceded to Prussia .
- October 14 : In Poland , under King Stanislaus II August, the world's first ministerial organization for education, Komisja Edukacji Narodowej , is set up, which Hugo Kołłątaj significantly influences.
Other events worldwide
- January 17th : James Cook is the first person to cross the Arctic Circle on his expedition.
- July 26 : In Brazil , José Pinto Fonseca discovers the Ilha do Bananal , the world's second largest inland island, in the Araguaia River .
- December 16 : Boston citizens disguised as Indians break into the harbor and throw loads of tea from the British East India Trading Company from three ships anchored there into the harbor basin . This act of resistance to British colonial policy is known as the " Boston Tea Party ".
- The private printing company Hrappseyjarprentsmiðjan is founded in Iceland .
science and technology
- October 13 : Charles Messier discovers the spiral galaxy M 51, now also known as the whirlpool galaxy .
- The French chemist Hilaire-Marin Rouelle discovered urea .
- The École militaire is founded in Colmar .
- Establishment of the Hierdoor tot Hooger art school in Rotterdam
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe completes his Sturm und Drang drama Götz von Berlichingen .
- The literary magazine Der Teutsche Merkur by Christoph Martin Wieland appears for the first time. Wieland's criticism of the Greek poets that appeared in it prompted the young Goethe to write the farce Gods, Heroes and Wieland , which Wieland received with friendly humor. The two men subsequently enjoyed a close friendship for many years.
Music and theater
- January 9th : The world premiere of the opera La Giannetta ossia l'incognita perseguitata by Pasquale Anfossi takes place at the Teatro delle Dame in Rome.
- January 18 : Under King Gustav III. opera performances begin at Stockholm's Bollhuset in Sweden.
- January 22nd : The opera Der Töpfer by Johann André is premiered in Hanau .
- April 5 : The world premiere of the comic opera Die Jubelhochzeit by Johann Adam Hiller with the text by Christian Felix Weisse takes place.
- May 28 : The opera Alceste by Anton Schweitzer with the libretto by Christoph Martin Wieland is premiered at the Hoftheater Weimar by the company of Abel Seyler .
- June 8th : The dramma giocoso La locandiera by Antonio Salieri, based on the play of the same name by Carlo Goldoni, has its world premiere with some success at the Vienna Burgtheater .
- July 26th : The world premiere of the opera L'infedeltà delusa ( Love Makes Inventive ) by Joseph Haydn takes place in Esterház .
- September 2nd : The world premiere of the puppet opera Philemon and Baucis or Jupiter's Journey on Earth by Joseph Haydn also takes place in Esterház.
- December 4 : The lyrical tragedy Sabinus by François-Joseph Gossec is premiered in Versailles.
- April 1st : On behalf of the Danish King Christian VII , the town of Christiansfeld, which is interesting for tourism, architecture and history, is founded in North Schleswig by the Christian Moravian Brethren .
- June 17th : In an edict of tolerance, the Russian Tsarina Catherine II promises to tolerate all religious confessions, but excludes Jews who came under her sphere of influence after the first partition of Poland .
- August 21 : The Jesuit order is repealed by Pope Clement XIV with the Breve Dominus ac redemptor noster . This is not allowed again until 1814 by Pope Pius VII .
- January 6 : Bonifaz Kaspar von Urban , Archbishop of Bamberg († 1858 )
- January 14 : William Pitt Amherst , British politician and statesman († 1857 )
- January 14 : Catherine Pakenham , British nobleman and wife of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington († 1831 )
- January 14 : Nathaniel Silsbee , American politician († 1850 )
- January 15 : Antoine-Léonard de Chézy , French orientalist († 1832 )
- January 17 : Johannes Herzog , Swiss politician and entrepreneur († 1840 )
- January 20 : Henry Wellesley , English statesman and diplomat († 1847 )
- January 20 : Theodor von Schön , Prussian President of the Province of Prussia from 1824 to 1842 († 1856 )
- January 22 : René Charles Guilbert de Pixérécourt , French playwright († 1844 )
- January 22nd : Clemens August Droste zu Vischering , Prussian Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Cologne († 1845 )
- January 25 : Georg Karl Friedrich Emmrich , German Protestant clergyman and teacher († 1837 )
- January 27 : Augustus Frederick , British Prince († 1843 )
- February 2 : Vincenc Tuček , Czech composer († 1820 )
- February 4 : Ludwig von Woliehen , Prussian infantry general († 1845 )
- February 9 : William Henry Harrison , American general and President († 1841 )
- February 12 : Jacques Dupré , American politician († 1846 )
- February 22nd : Martin Friedrich Arendt , German botanist and archaeologist († 1823 )
- February 22 : Mathieu Ignace van Brée , Belgian painter, sculptor and architect († 1839 )
- February 23 : Daniel Heinrich Delius , Prussian District President († 1832 )
- February 24 : Charlotte Kanitz , German writer († 1826 )
- March 2 : August Schumann , German bookseller, publisher and lexicographer († 1826 )
- March 4 : José Casimiro Rondeau Pereyra , Argentine general († 1844 )
- March 14 : John Holmes , American politician († 1843 )
- March 15 : François René Gebauer , French composer and conductor († 1845 )
- March 26 : Nathaniel Bowditch , American mathematician, astronomer and physicist († 1838 )
- March 28 : Henri-Gratien Bertrand , French general († 1844 )
- April 4 : Étienne-Maurice Gérard , French general and statesman († 1852 )
- April 6 : James Mill , English historian and economist († 1836 )
- April 7 : Charles Nicolas d'Anthouard de Vraincourt , French Artillery Division General († 1852 )
- April 11th : Georg August von Auenfels , Austrian Major General and Knight of the Military Maria Theresa Order († 1852 )
- April 18 : Wilhelm von Brockhausen , Prussian general († 1858 )
- April 19 : John Wayles Eppes , American politician († 1823 )
- April 28 : Robert Woodhouse , British professor of mathematics († 1827 )
- May 2 : Henrich Steffens , Norwegian philosopher, naturalist and poet († 1845 )
- May 3 : Giuseppe Acerbi , Italian traveler, zoologist and naturalist († 1846 )
- May 6 : Philipp Merian , Swiss trader and founder of the foundation († 1848 )
- May 15 : Klemens Wenzel Lothar von Metternich , Austrian statesman († 1859 )
- May 19 : Arthur Aikin , English chemist, mineralogist and author († 1854 )
- May 19 : Tobias Feilner , German pottery manufacturer († 1839 )
- May 29 : Ernst von Schwarzenberg , Prussian bishop, composer and canon in Cologne († 1821 )
- May 30 : Emmerich Joseph von Dalberg , Baden diplomat and French politician († 1833 )
- June 5 : Kaspar Georg Karl Reinwardt , German naturalist and botanist in the Netherlands († 1854 )
- June 10 : Charles-Simon Catel , French composer and professor († 1830 )
- June 13 : Thomas Young , British medic († 1829 )
- June 15 : Johann David Heegewaldt , Prussian Privy Councilor († 1850 )
- June 20 : Peter Early , American politician († 1817 )
- June 28 : Frédéric Cuvier , French zoologist and physicist († 1838 )
- July 3 : Christine Boyer , wife of Lucien Bonaparte († 1800 )
- July 5 : Johanna Elisabeth Bichier des Ages , founder of the French order and saint († 1838 )
- baptized on July 6th : Wenzel Matiegka , Czech composer († 1830 )
- July 11th : Pío de Tristán , formally last Spanish viceroy in Peru and President of the Republic of Southern Peru († 1860 )
- July 12 : John Rowan , American politician († 1843 )
- July 13 : Wilhelm Heinrich Wackenroder , German lawyer and writer († 1798 )
- July 16 : Josef Jungmann , Czech philologist and poet († 1847 )
- July 16 : Thomas Worthington , American politician († 1827 )
- July 18 : Johann Karl Heinrich von Zobel , German Lutheran theologian and honorary citizen of Borna († 1849 )
- July 27 : Jacob Aall , Norwegian politician († 1844 )
- July 27 : Peter Wilhelm Behrends , Prussian Protestant pastor († 1854 )
- July 31 : Thérésia Cabarrus , French courtesan, known as Madame Tallien († 1835 )
- August 1 : Ignaz Anton Demeter , Archbishop of Freiburg from Freiburg († 1842 )
- August 14 : Peter Buell Porter , American politician and army officer († 1844 )
- August 21 : Johann Christoph Bauriegel , German educator († 1850 )
- August 22 : Charles Dominique Joseph Bouligny , American politician († 1833 )
- August 22 : Franz Bogislaus Westermeier , German Protestant theologian († 1831 )
- August 23 : Jakob Friedrich Fries , German philosopher († 1843 )
- August 29 : Aimé Bonpland , French naturalist († 1858 )
- September 2 : Louis-Auguste-Victor de Ghaisnes de Bourmont , French general, marshal and peer of France († 1846 )
- September 3 : Heinrich August Rothe , German mathematician († 1842 )
- September 11 : Christian Gottfried Lorsch , first mayor of Nuremberg († 1830 )
- September 18 : Friedrich Carl August Rücker , German bookseller and publisher († 1837 )
- September 19 : Jan Isaac Wolterbeek , Dutch medic († 1853 )
- October 6 : Ludwig Philipp , King of the French († 1850 )
- October 12 : Granville Leveson-Gower , British statesman and diplomat († 1846 )
- October 24 : John Elliott , American politician († 1827 )
- October 25 : Claude Charles Aubry de La Boucharderie , French division general († 1813 )
- October 28 : Gotthard Emanuel von Aderkas , German-Baltic diplomat and administrative officer († 1861 )
- November 2 : Joseph von Frank , German landowner and politician († 1824 )
- November 5 : Friedrich Ludwig Karl of Prussia , Prussian Prince († 1796 )
- November 14 : Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere , British Field Marshal († 1865 )
- November 17 : Mihály Csokonai Vitéz , Hungarian poet († 1805 )
- November 18 : Tokugawa Ienari , Japanese Shogun († 1841 )
- November 28 : Johann von Wessenberg , Austrian statesman and diplomat († 1858 )
- November 29th : Johann Friedrich Basilius Wehber-Schuldt , German landowner and Freemason († 1840 )
- December 9 : Karl Christian von Mann called Tiechler , German lawyer and editor († 1837 )
- December 12 : Robert Surcouf , French naval officer and pirate († 1827 )
- December 17 : Sylvain-Charles Valée , French general and Marshal of France († 1846 )
- December 18 : Carlo Steeb , German priest, founder of the order in Verona, blessed of the Catholic Church († 1856 )
- December 21 : Robert Brown , Scottish botanist († 1858 )
- December 24th : Joseph Woelfl , Austrian pianist and composer († 1812 )
- December 25 : Karl Söffner , Prussian lawyer († 1837 )
- December 27th : George Cayley , English inventor of the science of flight († 1857 )
- December 30th : Ludwig von Borstell , Prussian general of the cavalry († 1844 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Louis Jeremiah Abershawe , English mugger († 1795 )
- Samuel Anderson , American politician († 1850 )
- Lino Gallardo , Venezuelan composer († 1837 )
- Christian Gotthard Kettembeil (1773–1850), businessman and theater manager († 1850 )
- Isham Talbot , American politician († 1837 )
First half of the year
- January 6th : Pyotr Semjonowitsch Saltykov , Russian field marshal (* 1700 )
- January 12 : Jakob von Eggers , Prussian general (* 1704 )
- January 21 : Alexis Piron , French lawyer and writer (* 1689 )
- February 17 : Namiki Shōzō I. , Japanese kabuki and bunraku author (* 1730 )
- February 20 : Karl Emanuel III. , King of Sardinia-Piedmont and Duke of Savoy (* 1701 )
- April 2 : Joseph Ignaz Schilling , German painter (* 1702 )
- April 3 : Adam Gottlob Schirach , Sorbian pastor, physics theologist and writer (* 1724 )
- April 18 : Friedrich von Ahlefeldt , Danish officer and landlord (* 1702 )
- April 19 : Florian Johann Deller , Austrian composer and violinist
- May 3 : Ernst Thom , German literary scholar, rhetorician, ethnologist and economist (* 1713 )
- May 6 : Johann Tilemann , German university professor (* 1696 )
- May 14 : Ehrenreich Gerhard Coldewey , German scholar, lawyer, poet and connoisseur of East Frisian history (* 1702 )
- May 20 : Johann Konrad Spörl , German Protestant theologian (* 1701 )
- May 24th : Jan Zach , Czech composer and court conductor to the Elector of Mainz (* 1699 )
- May 28 : Georg Gottlob Richter , German physician (* 1694 )
- June 3 : Johann Ludwig Konrad Allendorf , German educator, Lutheran pastor and poet of hymns (* 1693 )
- June 18 : Johann Christian Seidel , German Protestant theologian and astronomer (* 1699 )
- June 20 : Georg Christian Füchsel , German geologist (* 1722 )
Second half of the year
- July 12 : Johann Joachim Quantz , German musician and composer (* 1697 )
- July 21 : Sauveur François Morand , French surgeon (* 1697 )
- July 27th : Johann Siegmund Hahn , German doctor and city physician in Schweidnitz (* 1696 )
- September 1 : John Tarleton , British merchant and Mayor of Liverpool (* 1719 )
- September 25 : Johan Ernst Gunnerus , Norwegian bishop, botanist, ornithologist and zoologist (* 1718 )
- October 21 : Johann Conrad Schlaun , German builder (* 1695 )
- October 30th : Philippe de La Guêpière , French architect (* 1715 )
- November 7th : Anna Charlotte , Princess of Lorraine, Abbess of Remiremont and Sainte-Waudru and Koadjutrix in the Essen Abbey and in the Thorn Imperial Abbey (* 1714 )
- November 8 : Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz , Prussian cavalry officer (* 1721 )
- November 15 : Bernard Gates , English composer, choir singer and conductor (* 1686 )
- November 17 : Laurent Angliviel de La Beaumelle , French writer and librarian (* 1726 )
- November 18 : Johann Caspar Heimburg , German legal scholar (* 1702 )
- November 20 : Charles Jennens , English landowner, patron and librettist (* 1700 or 1701)
- December 14th : Johann Lorenz Bach , German composer (* 1695 )
- December 14th : José Joaquín de Viana , Spanish politician and military of Basque origin, governor of Montevideo (* 1718 )
- December 24th : Ludwig van Beethoven , German singer, grandfather of the composer of the same name (* 1712 )