Calendar overview 1796
|Napoleon Bonaparte embarks on his Italian campaign .||Jiaqing becomes Emperor of the Qing Dynasty in China .|
Edward Jenner argues James Phipps
successful vaccination against smallpox by.
|1796 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1244/45 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1788/89 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1201/02 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2339/40 (southern Buddhism); 2338/39 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||74th (75th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1158/59 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4129/30 (2-3 October)|
|French revolutionary calendar||Year IV./V. of the Republic (21/22 September)|
|Islamic calendar||1210/11 (turn of the year 6/7 July)|
|Jewish calendar||5556/57 (October 2/3)|
|Coptic calendar||1512/13 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2106/07 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2107/08 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1852/53 (April)|
Politics and world events
First coalition war in Europe
- January 16 : First general and free elections in the Netherlands for the National Assembly of the Batavian Republic
- March 2 : Napoleon Bonaparte is entrusted by the French Directory with the supreme command of the Italian Army in the first coalition war . The appointment reaches him while he is preparing to marry Joséphine de Beauharnais . On March 11th he leaves for the upcoming Italian campaign .
- March 9 : Napoleon Bonaparte marries Joséphine de Beauharnais, widow of the executed general Alexandre de Beauharnais and mistress of Paul de Barras .
- March 11th : Napoleon Bonaparte leaves for Italy . His French army numbered 37,600 men, the Austrian and Italian troops 50,000.
- April 10th : Napoleon Bonaparte starts the Italian campaign with his army.
- April 12th : In the Italian campaign, Napoleon Bonaparte and his army achieve the first victory in the battle of Montenotte . He defeats Austro-Sardinian troops under the command of General Jean-Pierre de Beaulieu .
- April 13th : In the Battle of Millesimo , the French troops defeat a Piedmontese army during the Napoleonic campaign in Italy , who want to protect access to their land .
- April 15 : During the Italian campaign, Napoleon Bonaparte recorded a victory over an Austro-Piedmontese army corps in the Battle of Dego .
- April 22nd : In the Battle of Mondovì , French troops under Napoleon Bonaparte defeat the army from Piedmont .
- April 26th : The Republic of Alba is founded as a French subsidiary republic .
- April 28 : After the French victory at Mondovi, Napoleon Bonaparte closes with King Viktor Amadeus III. of Sardinia-Piedmont signed an armistice in Cherasco .
- May 7th : Napoleon Bonaparte marches along the Po and crosses the river near Piacenza with 1,500 cavalrymen and 3,500 elite soldiers, followed by the main French army.
- May 10 : French Jacobin François Noël Babeuf and many of his comrades are arrested on charges of plotting an armed uprising. Those arrested include Augustin Alexandre Darthé and Filippo Buonarroti , as well as ex-members of the convention, Robert Lindet , Jean-Baptiste André Amar , Marc Guillaume Alexis Vadier and Jean Baptiste Drouet .
- May 10 : In the Battle of Lodi , French troops under Napoleon defeat an Austrian army in northern Italy.
- May 15 : In the Treaty of Paris , the House of Savoy accepts the annexation of the Duchy of Savoy and the County of Nice by France.
- June 4 : In the Battle of Altenkirchen in the First Coalition War, the French under Nicolas Jean-de-Dieu Soult are victorious against Austrian troops commanded by Archduke Karl .
- June 15 : In the Battle of Wetzlar , the French Sambre-Maas Army under Jourdan is defeated by the Austrians under Archduke Karl of Austria.
- June 19 : Battle of Kircheib / Uckerath, the French Sambre-Maas army under Jourdan is defeated again by the Austrians under Archduke Karl of Austria. The French have to retreat across the Rhine.
- July 9th : The Austrian army wins a victory in the Battle of Malsch after the French withdraw from the battlefield. However, the success is short-lived. A little later, French troops control the Rhine plain .
- July 15 : French troops under General Jean-Baptiste Kléber conquer Frankfurt am Main after a previous bombardment .
- August 5th : An Austrian attack led by Field Marshal Dagobert Sigmund von Wurmser on the French invaded during Napoleon Bonaparte's Italian campaign is repulsed by the invaders in the Battle of Castiglione .
- August 7 : Württemberg cedes its Mömpelgard property on the left bank of the Rhine to France in the Peace of Paris in return for an assurance of later compensation.
- August 19 : In the 2nd Treaty of Ildefonso , the Kingdom of Spain and the French Republic conclude a treaty directed against England.
- August 22nd : In the First Coalition War, an overwhelming Austrian force succeeds in preventing the French from advancing on Regensburg at the Battle of Deining .
- August 24th : In the first coalition war, the Archduke Charles of Austria defeated the army of the French Marshal Jean-Baptiste Jourdan with his troops in the battle of Amberg .
- August 25 : In a separate peace between Sigismund von Reitzenstein on behalf of the Margraviate of Baden and France, Baden has to cede its possessions on the left bank of the Rhine to France and make high reparation payments. In addition, the escaped Margrave Karl Friedrich should renounce his status as imperial prince.
- September 2 : The imperial city of Nuremberg , after experiencing French occupation in the First Coalition War, concludes a treaty under pressure from its citizens, which is to make the city subject to Prussian sovereignty. Confirmation by the Prussian government is later due to foreign policy considerations and the necessary assumption of the Nuremberg debt.
- September 3 : In the First Coalition War, Archduke Charles of Austria defeats France's troops with his army under the command of Marshal Jean-Baptiste Jourdan at the Battle of Würzburg . The second defeat after the previous battle of Amberg on August 24th prompted Jourdan to resign.
- September 4 : In the First Coalition War, the French Italian Army defeats opposing Austrian units in the Battle of Rovereto .
- September 8th : In the Battle of Bassano during the First Coalition War, Austrian forces under General Dagobert Sigmund von Wurmser in northern Italy are subject to a French army led by Napoleon Bonaparte .
- September 16 : Battle of Limburg
- October 8 : Spain declares war on England.
- November 17th : First Coalition War: In the Battle of Arcole (Italy) the French under Napoleon Bonaparte defeat the Austrians
- April: Russian troops set out for the Caucasus. The Russo-Persian War begins.
- June 13 : Russian troops capture Baku Khanate .
- November 17th : Catherine II dies suddenly of a stroke. Her unloved son Paul , whom she had kept away from government affairs for her entire life, succeeds her at the age of 42.
- April 23 : British naval troops capture the city of Stabroek , today's capital, Georgetown , in the Dutch colony of Guyana .
- June 1 : Tennessee , previously administered by North Carolina as the Tennessee Territory , joins the United States as the 16th state.
- November 4 to December 7 : In the 1796 presidential election in the United States , federalist John Adams wins the most votes. Runner-up Thomas Jefferson becomes Vice President.
- February 9th : In China of the Qing Dynasty , Jiaqing takes over the business of government as the new emperor from his elderly father Qianlong .
- August 17th : The attempt of the Batavian Republic to recapture the British-occupied Cape Colony fails due to the surrender of a Dutch fleet in Saldanhab Bay (South Africa) .
science and technology
- February 29 : The Real Biblioteca Pública da Corte , later the National Library of Portugal , is founded by royal decree .
- March 29th : Carl Friedrich Gauß determines a construction method for the seventeenth corner .
- May 14 : The British country doctor Edward Jenner argues James Phipps successful vaccination against smallpox by. After six weeks Jenner performed a variolation with Phipps with the smallpox virus and thus determined the effectiveness of the serum .
- July 18 : Alois Senefelder invents lithography , a flat printing process.
- February 5 : The Association of Patriotic Friends of Art founds a picture gallery in Bohemia , from which the National Gallery in Prague emerged.
- October 26 : World premiere of the opera Christophe et Jérôme ou La Femme hospitalière by Henri Montan Berton at the Opéra-Comique in Paris
- Ludwig van Beethoven dedicates his three piano sonatas Piano Sonata No. 1 , Piano Sonata No. 2 and Piano Sonata No. 3 to his teacher Joseph Haydn .
- April 13 : Coming on the America ship , an elephant sets foot on American soil for the first time in New York Harbor . The entrepreneur Jacob Crowninshield acquired the female animal in Bengal and immediately presented it to the public.
- May 11 : The Quaker William Tuke opened in York 's first private psychiatric hospital for the insane The Retreat in England, one of the first in the history of psychiatry . It still exists today.
- December 16 : When the French ship of the line Séduisant (74 cannons) sank off Brest , 680 crew members and soldiers died. The ship is part of a fleet that is supposed to bring French troops to Ireland and spark a revolt against British rule.
- Johann Christoph Friedrich GutsMuths publishes the work Games for the exercise and relaxation of the body and mind for the youth, their educators and all friends of innocent youthful joys , in which, among other things , rules for the game of baseball are found for the first time .
- January 7 : Charlotte Augusta , British Crown Princess († 1817 )
- January 10 : Hirsch Aub , German rabbi († 1875 )
- January 11 : Ludwig August Busso Konstantin von der Asseburg , Prussian court hunter († 1869 )
- January 22nd : Karl Ernst Claus , chemist who discovered ruthenium († 1864 )
- January 29th : Francesco Lacedelli , Tyrolean mountaineer, mountain guide, marksman and watchmaker († 1886 )
- January 30th : Annette von Menz , Bolzano citizen († 1869 )
- January 31 : Ebenezer Jackson , American politician († 1874 )
- January 31 : Wilhelm Gotthelf Lohrmann , German geodesist, topographer, astronomer and meteorologist († 1840 )
- February 1 : Abraham Emanuel Fröhlich , Swiss Reformed theologian and writer († 1865 )
- February 5 : Johannes von Geissel , Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Cologne († 1864 )
- February 6 : Joseph Karl Anrep-Elmpt , Russian officer († 1860 )
- February 9 : Karl Neuhaus , Swiss politician († 1849 )
- February 11 : Giovanni Pacini , Italian opera composer († 1867 )
- February 13 : Robert Wesselhöft , German fraternity and doctor († 1852 )
- February 15 : Pyotr Fjodorowitsch Anjou , Russian polar explorer and admiral († 1869 )
- February 17 : Frederick William Beechey , English polar explorer and geographer († 1856 )
- February 17 : Philipp Franz von Siebold , German doctor and ethnologist († 1866 )
- February 21 : Johann Jakob Aenishänslin , Swiss politician († 1866 )
- February 22nd : Adolphe Quételet , Belgian mathematician, statistician and astronomer († 1874 )
- February 25 : Johannes Bernhard Diepenbrock , German theologian and historian († 1884 )
- February 28 : Eduard Pistorius , German genre painter and etcher († 1862 )
- March 1 : Gregor Rihar , Slovenian composer († 1863 )
- March 6 : Charles C. Stratton , American politician († 1859 )
- March 9 : Peter van Bohlen , German orientalist († 1840 )
- March 12 : Thomas Reynolds , American politician († 1844 )
- March 14 : Anton Haizinger , Austrian opera singer (tenor) († 1869 )
- March 15 : Carl Christian Ullmann , Reformed mediation theologian († 1865 )
- March 18 : Johann Joseph Imhoff (the younger) , German sculptor († 1880 )
- March 18 : Jakob Steiner , Swiss mathematician († 1863 )
- March 20 : Edward Gibbon Wakefield , British statesman († 1862)
- March 23 : Laurent Imbert , French missionary, bishop and martyr († 1839 )
- March 26 : Bellamy Storer , American politician († 1875 )
- March 26 : Bernhard Karl Heinrich von Prittwitz , Prussian Major General of the Artillery († 1881 )
- March 27 : Julius Abegg , German criminal lawyer († 1868 )
- March 31 : Karl Howald , Swiss pastor and chronicler († 1869 )
- April 1 : Karl Wilhelm von Bormann , Belgian general († 1874 )
- April 8 : Matteo Carcassi , Italian guitarist and composer († 1853 )
- April 10 : James Bowie , Texas revolutionary († 1836 )
- April 10 : Thomas Fitzgerald , American politician († 1855 )
- April 11 : Friedrich Bröhmer , German civil servant († 1851 )
- April 12 : George N. Briggs , American politician († 1861 )
- April 14 : Frederik Due , Norwegian officer and minister of state († 1873 )
- April 16 : Louis Leresche , Swiss Protestant clergyman († 1865 )
- April 18 : Theodor Märcker , German politician († 1876 )
- April 19 : Franz Anton von Gerstner , Austrian engineer († 1840 )
- April 22nd : Adolphe Crémieux , lawyer, politician and journalist († 1880 )
- April 22nd : Louis Germond the Elder , Swiss Protestant clergyman († 1868 )
- April 24 : Karl Immermann , German writer, poet and playwright († 1840 )
- April 25 : Carl von Hügel , German-Austrian diplomat, traveler, natural scientist and hortologist († 1870 )
- April 28 : Johann Nepomuk Zwerger , German sculptor († 1868 )
- May 2 : Mace Moulton , American politician († 1867 )
- May 4 : William Pennington , American politician († 1862 )
- May 4 : William Hickling Prescott , American historian († 1859 )
- May 5 : Robert Foulis , inventor († 1866 )
- May 6 : Johann Adam Möhler , Roman Catholic theologian († 1838 )
- May 9 : Joseph Meyer , German publisher († 1856 )
- May 9 : August Friedrich Pauly , German philologist († 1845 )
- May 12 : Hancock Lee Jackson , American politician († 1876 )
- May 24th : Friedrich Kammerer , German inventor and engineer († 1857 )
- May 26 : Armand Joseph Bruat , French admiral († 1855 )
- June 1 : Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot , French physicist († 1832 )
- June 6 : Francis M. Dimond , American politician († 1859 )
- June 9 : Carl Ludwig Blume , German-Dutch botanist († 1862 )
- June 10 : Antun Mihanović , author of the text of the Croatian national anthem († 1861 )
- June 11 : François-Louis Cailler , Swiss chocolate pioneer († 1852 )
- June 12 : Joab Lawler , American politician († 1838 )
- June 18 : Friedrich Ernst , German farmer and settler († 1848 )
- June 20 : Luigi Amat di San Filippo e Sorso , Italian diplomat and cardinal to the Curia († 1878 )
- June 24 : Charles Cousin-Montauban , French general and statesman († 1878 )
- June 24th : Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich , German naturalist and zoologist († 1825 )
- June 26 : Jan Paweł Lelewel , Polish engineer officer, freedom fighter and architect († 1847 )
- June 27 : Friedrich Albert Immanuel Mellin , German architect († 1859 )
- June 28 : Paul Camille von Denis , engineer and railway pioneer († 1872 )
- June 28 : Peter Rigler , re-founder of the Teutonic Order († 1873 )
- July 2 : Michael Thonet , German industrialist, pioneer of furniture design († 1871 )
- July 3 : Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus , German philosopher (Hegelianism, theism) († 1862 )
- July 4th : Karl Maria von Aretin , Bavarian historian, diplomat and politician († 1868 )
- July 6 : Nicholas I , Russian tsar († 1855 )
- July 11 : Ernst von Schiller , son of Friedrich and Charlotte von Schiller († 1841 )
- July 13 : Johann Jakob Kirchhoff , painter, illustrator and lithographer († 1848 )
- July 13 : Gustav Seyffarth , German Egyptologist († 1885 )
- July 16 : Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot , French landscape painter († 1875 )
- July 18 : Immanuel Hermann Fichte , German theologian and philosopher († 1879 )
- July 20 : Edward Hodges , American organist and composer († 1867 )
- July 23 : Franz Berwald , Swedish composer and violinist († 1868 )
- July 24 : John Clayton , American politician, US Senator and Secretary of State († 1856 )
- July 26 : George Catlin , American painter, author and Indian expert († 1872 )
- July 28 : Georg Wilhelm von Wedekind , German forester († 1856 )
- August 3 : Anna Lühring , German soldier († 1866 )
- August 12 : Hermann Ernst Endemann , German lawyer († 1846 )
- August 16 : Francis Crozier , Irish captain and polar explorer († 1848 )
- August 20 : Wenzel Babinsky , Bohemian robber († 1879 )
- August 20 : Armand-Jacques-Achille Leroy de Saint-Arnaud , French general and statesman († 1854 )
- August 21 : Asher Brown Durand , American painter († 1886 )
- August 25 : James Lick , American piano maker († 1876 )
- August 31 : Christian Sartorius , German theologian, educator and writer († 1872 )
- September 1 : Nathaniel Berry , American politician († 1894 )
- September 4 : Karl Follen , German fraternity and writer († 1840 )
- September 4 : Eberhard Herwarth von Bittenfeld , Prussian Field Marshal General († 1884 )
- September 16 : Johann Daniel Elster , German music professor and choir director († 1857 )
- September 20 : Robert Strange , American politician († 1854 )
- September 26 : Richard H. Bayard , American politician († 1868 )
- September 27 : Heinrich Arnold Wilhelm Winckler , German teacher and writer († 1848 )
- October 2 : David Roberts , British painter († 1864 )
- October 4 : August Wilhelm Bach , German composer and organist († 1869 )
- October 6 : August Abendroth , German lawyer, businessman and philanthropist († 1867 )
- October 11 : August Wilhelm Julius Ahlborn , German landscape painter († 1857 )
- October 11 : Jacob Daniel Burgschmiet , sculptor, ore caster († 1858 )
- October 15 : Carl Wilhelm Traugott von Mayer , German lawyer and member of the Saxon State Parliament († 1864 )
- October 16 : Samuel George Andrews , American politician († 1863 )
- October 16 : Karl Spindler , German novelist († 1855 )
- October 17 : Leopold Kupelwieser , Austrian painter († 1862 )
- October 22 : Achille Etna Michallon , French landscape painter († 1822 )
- October 23 : Stefano Franscini , Swiss statistician and politician († 1857 )
- October 24 : August von Platen-Hallermünde , German poet († 1835 )
- October 30th : Friederike von Prussia , Prussian princess and by marriage Duchess of Anhalt-Dessau († 1850 )
- October 30 : Johann Jakob Hürlimann , Swiss entrepreneur and politician († 1853 )
- October 31 : Ottilie von Goethe , daughter-in-law of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe († 1872 )
- October 31 : Gustav Wilhelm Struckmann , German lawyer and author († 1840 )
- November 3 : Friedrich Lennig , dialect poet († 1838 )
- November 6th : George Back , British navigator († 1878 )
- November 18 : Karl Arnold-Obrist , Swiss bishop († 1862 )
- November 19 : Karl Christian Aubel , German portrait painter († 1882 )
- November 21 : Jean Zuléma Amussat , French doctor and surgeon († 1856 )
- November 21 : Ralph Metcalf , American politician († 1858 )
- November 22 : Johann Gottlieb Benjamin Siegert , doctor and inventor of the bitter liqueur Angostura († 1870 )
- November 22 : Hans Mathias Velschow , Danish historian († 1862)
- November 24th : Stephan Ludwig Roth , Transylvanian-Saxon writer and politician († 1849 )
- November 25 : Andreas von Ettingshausen , German mathematician and physicist († 1878 )
- November 25 : Edward Robinson , American politician († 1857 )
- November 30th : Carl Loewe , German composer († 1869 )
- December 1 : Friedrich Wilhelm Buttel , master builder, senior building officer and court builder († 1869 )
- December 6 : Joseph Webber Jackson , American politician († 1854 )
- December 8 : Ferdinand Wolf , Austrian Romanist († 1866 )
- December 14 : Lilburn Boggs , American politician († 1860 )
- December 15 : Johann Franz Ahn , German teacher († 1865 )
- December 15 : Hiram Runnels , American politician († 1857 )
- December 16 : Pierre-Ignace Aubry , Swiss politician († 1878 )
- December 17 : Thomas Chandler Haliburton , Canadian writer († 1865 )
- December 17 : Adam Schreck , Austrian Augustinian canon († 1871 )
- December 20 : Simon Meister , German painter († 1844 )
- December 22 : Jared W. Williams , American politician († 1864 )
- December 24 : Fernán Caballero , Spanish writer († 1877 )
- December 27 : Karl Friedrich von Steinmetz , Prussian Field Marshal General († 1877 )
- December 29 : Johann Christian Poggendorff , German physicist († 1877 )
- December 30 : Nikolaus Wesselényi , Hungarian politician and landowner († 1850 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Friedrich Wilhelm Agthe , German composer and Kreuzkantor († 1830 )
- Joan Josep Amengual i Reus , Spanish writer, lawyer and philologist († 1876 )
- Preah Bat Ang Duong , King of Cambodia († 1860 )
- John Munroe , American officer and politician († 1861 )
January to April
- January 1 : Alexandre-Théophile Vandermonde , French musician, mathematician and chemist (* 1735 )
- January 8 : Jean-Marie Collot d'Herbois , French revolutionary (* around 1750 )
- January 27 : Karl von Amadei , Belgian general (* 1723 )
- February 18 : Eberhard Gaupp , Swiss businessman (* 1734 )
- February 22nd : Johann Baptist Ambrosi , German theologian (* 1741 )
- February 24 : Karl Aloys von Königsegg-Aulendorf , auxiliary bishop in Cologne (* 1726 )
- February 25 : Lorenz Adam Bartenstein , German Protestant clergyman, educator and headmaster (* 1711 )
- February 28 : Friedrich Wilhelm Rust , German composer (* 1739 )
- February 29 : François Athanase de Charette de la Contrie , French naval officer (* 1763 )
- March 1 : Carl Fredrik Adelcrantz , Swedish architect (* 1716 )
- March 6 : Guillaume Thomas François Raynal , French writer (* 1713 )
- March 7 : Christoph August Bode , German university professor, philologist and orientalist (* 1722 )
- March 7th : Paulus Chevallier , Dutch Reformed theologian (* 1722 )
- March 8 : William Chambers , Scottish architect (* 1723 )
- March 12th : Franz Töpsl , German theologian (* 1711 )
- March 24th : Antonio Caballero y Góngora , Spanish priest, colonial administrator, Archbishop of Bogotá and Viceroy of New Granada (* 1723 )
- March 30th : Auguste Wilhelmine , Duchess of Pfalz-Zweibrücken (* 1765 )
- April 2 : Ulrika Pasch , Swedish painter (* 1735 )
- April 16 : Johann Friedrich Doles the Younger , German composer and lawyer (* 1746 )
- April 23 : Theodor Gottlieb von Hippel , Prussian writer (* 1741 )
- April 28 : Angelo Maria Durini , Catholic Cardinal (* 1725 )
- April 28 : Josias Ludwig Ernst Püttmann , German legal scholar (* 1730 )
- April 30th : Franziska von Corvin-Krasińska , Polish-Saxon noblewoman (* 1742 )
May to August
- May 6 : Adolph Knigge , German writer and educator (* 1752 )
- May 12 : Johann Peter Uz , German poet (* 1720 )
- May 19 : Beda Angehrn , Prince Abbot of St. Gallen (* 1725 )
- May 20 : Gustav Friedrich Großmann , German actor and drama poet (* 1746 )
- May 21 : John Butler , British colonist in North America (* 1728 )
- May 28 : Fyodor Grigoryevich Orlow , Russian lieutenant general, brother of Grigory Orlow (* 1741 )
- June 11 : Nathaniel Gorham , American politician (* 1738 )
- June 16 : Karl Christian Joseph , Prince of Saxony and Duke of Courland (* 1733 )
- June 21 : George Frost , American politician (* 1720 )
- June 21 : Richard Gridley , British-American military engineer (* 1710 )
- June 24th : Joseph Maria , Prince of Fürstenberg (* 1758 )
- June 26 : David Rittenhouse , American astronomer and mathematician (* 1732 )
- June 30th : Abraham Yates , American politician (* 1724 )
- July 5 : Daniel Carroll , American politician (* 1730 )
- July 8 : Adam Naruszewicz , Polish poet (* 1733 )
- July 15 : Domenico Lorenzo Ponziani , Italian chess master and chess theorist (* 1719 )
- July 20 : John Houstoun , American politician (* 1744 )
- July 21 : Philipp Carteret , British navigator and explorer (* 1733 )
- July 21 : Robert Burns , Scottish writer and poet (* 1759 )
- July 30th : Nicolas de Pigage , French builder (* 1723 )
- August 1 : Robert Pigot , British officer during the American Revolutionary War (* 1720 )
- August 8 : Franz Anton Maulbertsch , Austrian baroque painter (* 1724 )
- August 21 : John McKinly , American politician (* 1721 )
- August 24th : Maria Elisabeth Ziesenis , German painter (* 1744 )
- August 29 : Johann Karl Volborth , German Lutheran theologian (* 1748 )
- August 30th : Henry Marchant , American politician (* 1741 )
September to December
- September 21 : François Séverin Marceau , French general (* 1769 )
- October 1 : Johann Philipp Jakob von Horn-Goldschmidt , Vicar General in Cologne (* 1724 )
- October 16 : Viktor Amadeus III. , King of Sardinia-Piedmont and Duke of Savoy (* 1726 )
- October 18 : Nathan Brownson , American politician (* 1742 )
- November 2 : Domenico Pozzi , Ticino painter (* 1745 )
- November 14th : Franz Xaver Wolfgang von Orsini-Rosenberg , Austrian diplomat (* 1723 )
- November 17 : Catherine II , the Great, Empress of Russia and Mistress of Jever (* 1729 )
- November 17 : Johann Gottfried Sammet , German lawyer and university professor (* 1719 )
- November 19 : Friedrich Moritz von Nostitz-Rieneck , Austrian Field Marshal and President of the Court War Council (* 1728 )
- November 21 : Angelo Soliman , Afro-Austrian slave, valet, prince tutor to Hereditary Prince Alois I of Liechtenstein and Freemason (* 1721 )
- December 2 : Jean Charles Abbatucci , French general (* 1771)
- December 15 : Anthony Wayne , American general (* 1745 )
- December 19 : Pyotr Alexandrovich Rumjanzew-Sadunaiski , Russian field marshal (* 1725 )
- December 20 : Johann Georg Krünitz , German lexicographer and encyclopaedist (* 1728 )
- December 28 : Friedrich Ludwig Karl of Prussia , Prussian Prince (* 1773 )
- December 30th : Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne , French composer (* 1751 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Detlev von Ahlefeldt , Danish Chamberlain and District Administrator (* 1747 )
- Caterina Gabrielli , Italian opera singer (* 1730 )
- Joseph Kaffka , German violinist and composer (* 1730 )