Joan Josep Amengual
Joan Josep Amengual i Reus (* 1796 in Manacor , Mallorca , † 1876 in Binissalem , Mallorca) was a Catalan writer , lawyer and philologist .
Amengual studied law as well as linguistics and literature at the University of Mallorca . In 1817 he wrote his dissertation (doctoral thesis) and published it in book form. In 1822 he was elected mayor of the municipality of Binissalem. During this time he wrote numerous papers on the history of the Balearic Islands and the importance of agriculture.
He became known for his works on the grammar of the Mallorcan language. The first edition appeared in 1835 and the second expanded edition of the Gramática de la lengua mallorquina in 1872 . Between 1858 and 1878 his extensive dictionary Nuevo diccionario mallorquín - castellano - latín was created , which today still has a special encyclopedic value and aimed to preserve and pass on the diversity of the Mallorcan dialects .
Inspired by Félix María Samaniego , he also wrote poems and fables such as: Caçada de sa cova de Coanegra , in these works the poetry of Samaniego is reflected.
- (1835) Gramatica de la lengua mallorquina , ed. DJ Guasp y Pascual, Palma.
- (1858) Nuevo diccionario mallorquín-castellano-latín , Ed. J. Colomar, Palma.
- Valentí Valenciano: La poesia de Joan Josep Amengual i Reus al Setmanari Constitucional, Polític i Mercantil de Mallorca (1820–1821) , edition: Bolletí de la Societat Arqueològica Lul liana: Revista d'estudis històrics , ISSN 0212-7458 , Nº. 61, 2005, pp. 163–196 (Catalan)
- Joan Josep Amengual in Enciclopedia Catalan (Catalan)
- Gramatica de la lengua mallorquina (Spanish)
- ↑ Personal data , place of birth etc. ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ^ Biblioteca Virtual del Patrimonio Bibliográfico
|SURNAME||Amengual, Joan Josep|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Amengual i Reus, Joan Josep|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Mallorcan writer, lawyer and philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1796|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Manacor , Mallorca|
|DATE OF DEATH||1876|
|Place of death||Binissalem , Mallorca|