Calendar overview 1876
Battle of Little Bighorn , George Armstrong Custer is crushed
by the Lakota Indians - Sioux , Arapaho and Cheyenne under Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse .
receives the title of
Empress of India .
Alexander Graham Bell enough
two hours before Elisha Gray
a patent entry for the telephone one.
Richard Wagner's tetralogy The Ring of the Nibelung
will be premiered in the Bayreuth Festspielhaus .
|1876 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1324/25 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1868/69 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||32/33 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1281/82 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2419/20 (southern Buddhism); 2418/19 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle
Year of the Fire Rat 丙子 ( at the beginning of the year wood pig 乙亥)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1238/39 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4209/10 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1254/55 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1292/93 (January 27-28)|
Meiji 9 (
明治 9 年);
|Jewish calendar||5636/37 (September 18-19)|
|Coptic calendar||1592/93 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1291/92 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2186/87 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2187/88 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1932/33 (April)|
Politics and world events
United States of America
- January 31st: In the USA , the indigenous people are ordered by the government to the Indian reservations.
- June 17: A surprise attack by 1,500 Lakota and Cheyenne warriors in the Battle of Rosebud Creek on around 1,000 US Army soldiers under the command of General George Crook brings success to the Indians, led by Chief Crazy Horse .
- June 25th: Battle of the Little Bighorn River ( Montana ): The seventh US cavalry regiment under George A. Custer is defeated by Indians of the Sioux and Cheyenne under their leaders Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse .
- August 1: The previous Colorado Territory is incorporated into the United States as the 38th state under the name Colorado .
- November 7: The 1876 presidential election in the United States is one of the tightest and most controversial in US history. Republican candidate Rutherford B. Hayes wins with one electoral vote ahead of Democrat Samuel J. Tilden , although Tilden receives more votes overall. The choice ultimately decided by a political trade is seen as the end point of the reconstruction .
- January 1st: Emil Welti becomes Swiss President for the third time .
- April 3: The first Republican Party is founded in Portugal .
- May 2: The Bulgarian April Uprising breaks out after a few days' delay. The people of Bulgaria want to free themselves from Ottoman rule .
- May 6th: In Thessaloniki the German and French consuls are killed by fanatical Muslims in a tumult.
- July 8th: With the orally agreed Reichstadt Convention , the great powers Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire come to an agreement on the Oriental question . Among other things, the sphere of influence of the two powers in the Balkans is delimited with almost complete agreement.
- November 1st: The friendship treaty between the German Reich and Tonga is signed.
- December 23: The first written constitution of the Ottoman Empire , largely drawn up by the reformer Midhat Pasha , comes into force.
- April 29th: Queen Victoria is awarded the title of Empress of India by British Parliament vote .
- The Uzbek city of Kokand in the Fergana Valley is conquered by the Russian general Konstantin Petrovich von Kaufmann and the Kokand Khanate is dissolved.
Money and postal services
- January 1st: The Reichsbank is founded in the German Reich , at the same time the Mark single currency is introduced in all German federal states.
- April 13: The Ottoman Empire declares its national bankruptcy . The financial ruin had already become apparent six months earlier, when on October 6, 1875 the interest payments on his foreign debts were cut by half.
- December 1: Berlin has the first urban pneumatic tube network that is also accessible to the public.
- May 10th to September 10th: Philadelphia hosts the second US World's Fair , called Centennial Exhibition to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the US Constitution .
- March 7: Alexander Graham Bell receives a US patent for the invention of the telephone .
- September 19: Melville Bissell in Grand Rapids, Michigan is granted the patent for the first working vacuum cleaner ( Carpet Sweeper ).
- January 15th: Die Afrikaansche Patriot , published by the Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners in the South African city of Paarl, is the first to appear in Afrikaans .
- March 5: Eugenio Torelli Viollier founds the daily Corriere della Sera in Milan .
- April 1st: Benno Orenstein and Arthur Koppel found a mechanical engineering company that made a name for itself as Orenstein & Koppel .
- September 26: The Henkel company is founded in Aachen.
- December 4th: The Belgian Georges Nagelmackers founds the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits .
- May 15: The first train travels on the Ducherow – Heringsdorf – Wolgaster ferry from Berlin to the island of Usedom . The railway line was built by the Berlin-Szczecin Railway Company .
science and technology
- May 9: Nikolaus Otto puts his first four-stroke engine into operation.
- May 24th: The British corvette HMS Challenger , which set sail for the Challenger expedition under Captain George Nares in 1872 , returns to Portsmouth after her circumnavigation of the world . The expedition, led by Charles Wyville Thomson and his assistant John Murray, provides a wealth of scientific material on the ocean floor and establishes modern oceanography .
- July 16: Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan sees the galaxy NGC 6657 in the constellation Lyra .
- August 27: Ernst Wilhelm Leberecht Tempel discovers the elliptical galaxy NGC 113 in the constellation Whale .
- October 25: Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan sees the galaxy later known as NGC 7777 in the constellation Pegasus .
- November 1st: The North Sea Canal in the Netherlands is opened by King Wilhelm III. solemnly opened.
- November 17: The galaxy NGC 202 is tracked down by Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan in the constellation Pisces .
- November 22nd: Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan notices the galaxy NGC 846 in the constellation Andromeda .
- December 11th: Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan discovers the galaxy NGC 812 in the constellation Andromeda .
- Emil Theodor Kocher carried out a struma resection for the first time .
- Friedrich Nobbe publishes his Handbuch der Seedkunde , which is one of the most important works of scientific agricultural literature.
- The physician and anthropologist Rudolf Virchow examined the skin, hair and eye color of German students in order to refute the "Finnish" origin of the "Prussian race" claimed by a French scientist.
- March 22nd: In Berlin , in the presence of Kaiser Wilhelm I, the National Gallery , built by Heinrich Strack according to plans by Friedrich August Stüler in the classicism style , is opened. 14 years have passed from planning to completion.
- July 4th: The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston opens.
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir paints the painting Bal du moulin de la Galette .
- The Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia sparks the founding of the Philadelphia Museum of Art , which opens the following year.
Music and theater
- January 5th: Franz von Suppès' three-act operetta Fatinitza, based on a libretto by Camillo Walzel and Richard Genée, has its world premiere at the Carltheater in Vienna .
- January 16: The world premiere of the romantic opera Die Hochländer by Franz von Holstein takes place in Mannheim.
- February 13: The world premiere of César Cui's opera Angelo takes place in Moscow.
- February 24: Henrik Ibsen's dramatic poem Peer Gynt is premiered with Edvard Grieg's incidental music in the Christiania Theater in Christiania, today's Oslo.
- August 13: The first Richard Wagner Festival takes place in Bayreuth . Richard Wagner himself is staging the complete Ring des Nibelungen for the first time in one coherent performance. The guests include Franz Liszt , Anton Bruckner , Karl Klindworth , Camille Saint-Saëns , Peter Tschaikowski , Edvard Grieg , Lew Tolstoy , Paul Lindau , Friedrich Nietzsche and Gottfried Semper , as well as Kaiser Wilhelm I , Emperor Pedro II of Brazil and King Charles of Württemberg. King Ludwig II of Bavaria attends the dress rehearsals from August 6th to 9th and does not return until the third and last cycle of performances, in which he refuses to pay any public homage.
- August 16: The premiere of the opera Siegfried , the second day of the tetralogy Der Ring des Nibelungen by Richard Wagner , takes place in the Bayreuth Festspielhaus under the direction of Hans Richter .
- August 17th: The opera Götterdämmerung has its world premiere as part of the first Bayreuth Festival .
- August 30: The first Bayreuth Festival comes to an end with the third performance of the Götterdämmerung opera .
- October 24th: The world premiere of the comic opera Der Seekadett by Richard Genée takes place at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna.
- November 7th: The opera The Kiss by Bedřich Smetana is premiered in Prague.
- December 6th: the opera Wakula the Blacksmith (second version as a slipper or Tscherewitschki ) by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky takes place at the court opera in Saint Petersburg .
- January 1: The Reich Law on the Notarization of Civil Status and Marriage , with which the registry offices are introduced throughout the German Reich , comes into force. With the entry into force of the Reich Law of February 17, 1875, the age of majority is set at 21 years.
- From a tent camp during the Gold Rush in the Dakota Territory of the place is created Deadwood . Since the city founded by Al Swearengen , among others , was illegally built in the Black Hills in the Indian area, conflicts with the Sioux arise again and again .
- August 2: In Deadwood, Jack McCall shoots the western hero "Wild Bill" Hickok from behind while playing draw poker in Saloon No. 10 . His hand held before death is known among gamblers as Dead Man's Hand .
- Seth Bullock is elected Deadwood's first sheriff.
- July 3: First of the apparitions of Mary in Marpingen 1876/1877
- Founding of the Unitarian religious community of Free Protestants in Rheinhessen
- December 29th: The Ashtabula rail accident turns into the worst rail accident in the United States to date. When passing a collapsing bridge, a passenger train filled with around 150 passengers crashes into the Ashtabula River . 92 people die, 64 injured are rescued.
- February 2: In the United States, is the National League in baseball founded in because of racial segregation are allowed to play only whites.
- April 26th: The Kjøbenhavns Boldklub sports club is founded in Copenhagen .
- November 24th: The Steiner Rowing Club is founded as one of the first in Austria.
Historical maps and views
- Eduardo Dagnino , Italian composer, musicologist and chess player († 1944) January 1:
- Lodewijk van Mierop , Dutch pacifist and anarchist († 1930) January 1:
- Wilhelm Pieck , German politician and President of the GDR († 1960) January 3:
- Konrad Adenauer , German politician and Federal Chancellor († 1967) January 5:
- Karl von der Aa , German business educator († 1937) January 7:
- Hans Bethge , German poet († 1946) January 9:
- Robert Michels , German sociologist († 1936) January 9:
- January 10th: Thomas Alva Edison Jr. , American inventor († 1935)
- January 11: Thomas Hicks , American athlete and Olympic champion († 1952)
- January 12: Jack London , American writer († 1916)
- January 12: Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari , German-Italian composer († 1948)
- January 13: Carl Andres , German landowner, viticulture lobbyist and politician († 1935)
- January 13: Georg Baesecke , German old Germanist († 1951)
- January 13: Erhard Schmidt , German mathematician († 1959)
- January 15: Willem van der Woude , Dutch mathematician († 1974)
- January 18: Meschadi Azizbekow , Azerbaijani politician († 1918)
- January 18: Rodolphe Plamondon , Canadian singer, cellist and music teacher († 1940)
- January 19: Dragotin chain , Slovenian writer († 1899)
- January 20: Lucien Boyer , French chansonnier and composer († 1942)
- January 20: Józef Hofmann , Polish-American pianist († 1957)
- January 21: Dietloff von Arnim , German local politician († 1945)
- January 22: James H. Higgins , American politician († 1927)
- January 23: Otto Adler , German trade union official († 1948)
- January 23: Otto Diels , German chemist († 1954)
- January 23: Rupert Mayer , German Jesuit priest († 1945)
- January 24: Davis Elkins , American politician († 1959)
- January 25: Herbert Eulenberg , German poet and writer († 1949)
- January 26: Josef Bohatec , Czech philosopher and theologian († 1954)
- January 27: Philipp Stauff , German journalist and writer († 1923)
- January 27: Karl Stiegler , Austrian horn player and professor († 1932)
- January 29: Havergal Brian , English composer († 1972)
- January 29: Ludolf Nielsen , Danish composer († 1939)
- January 29: Pedro Sinzig , Franciscan, Brazilian writer, journalist and composer († 1952)
- January 31: Minna Bollmann , German politician (SPD), member of the Weimar National Assembly and resistance fighter († 1935)
- Prosper L'Orange , German engineer and inventor († 1939) February 1:
- Eugène-Henri Gravelotte , French fencer († 1939) February 6:
- Wilhelm Schmidtbonn , German writer († 1952) February 6:
- Paula Modersohn-Becker , German painter (Expressionism) († 1907) February 8:
- February 15: Ernest Wilson , British botanist and plant hunter († 1930)
- February 16: Mack Swain , American actor († 1935)
- February 17: Hans Bernoulli , Swiss architect and professor († 1959)
- February 19: Constantin Brâncuși , Romanian-French sculptor and photographer († 1957)
- February 19: Arthur von Gerlach , German film and theater director († 1925)
- February 21: Sophie von Arnim , German writer († 1949)
- February 21: Joseph Meister , French, first person successfully vaccinated against rabies († 1940)
- February 22nd: Ita Wegman , Dutch doctor, co-founder of anthroposophic medicine († 1943)
- February 23: Camille Couture , Canadian violinist, music teacher and violin maker († 1961)
- February 24: Rudolf Grashey , German radiologist and doctor († 1950)
- February 25: Philip Graves , British journalist († 1953)
- February 28: John Alden Carpenter , American composer († 1951)
- Henri de Baillet-Latour , French President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) († 1942) March 1:
- Arthur Ruppin , Zionist and pioneer in founding the city of Tel Aviv († 1943) March 1:
- Pius XII. , Pope from 1939 to 1958 († 1958) March 2nd:
- Jakob Buchli , Swiss designer in the field of locomotive construction († 1945) March 4:
- Ásgrímur Jónsson , Icelandic painter († 1958) March 4:
- Elisabeth Moore , American tennis player († 1959) March 5:
- Erna von Dobschütz , German painter in Görlitz († 1963) March 6:
- Hedda Eulenberg , German translator († 1960) March 6:
- Edgar Evans , Welsh polar explorer († 1912) March 7th:
- March 11: Carl Ruggles , American composer († 1971)
- March 12: Elbert Lee Trinkle , American politician († 1939)
- March 13: Konrad Haenisch , German politician († 1925)
- March 14: Christian Frederik Beck , Danish painter († 1954)
- March 14: Otto Röhm , German entrepreneur († 1939)
- March 15: Kambara Ariake , Japanese writer († 1952)
- March 19: Felix Jacoby , German antiquarian and philologist († 1959)
- March 21: Ludwig Finckh , German writer († 1964)
- March 21: José de Jesús Ravelo , Dominican composer and music teacher († 1951)
- March 21: Walter Tewksbury , American athlete and Olympic champion († 1968)
- March 22nd: João Teixeira Pinto , Portuguese colonial officer († 1917)
- March 23: Karl Seidenstücker , German Buddhist, author and translator († 1936)
- March 26: Prince Wilhelm zu Wied , 1914 Prince of Albania († 1945)
- March 27: Ermenegildo Pellegrinetti , Italian Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1943)
- March 29: Max von Prittwitz and Gaffron , German major general († 1956)
- March 29: Friedrich Adolf Traun , German athlete, Olympic champion in men's tennis doubles 1896 († 1908)
- March 30: Bernhard Harms , German economist († 1939)
- March 31: Astrid Ahnfelt , Swedish writer († 1962)
- March 31: William H. Dieterich , American politician († 1940)
- March 31: Otto Nussbaumer , Austrian physicist and radio pioneer († 1930)
- March 31: Borisav Stanković , Serbian writer († 1927)
- Celso Benigno Luigi Costantini , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1958) April 3:
- Tomáš Baťa , Czech entrepreneur, founder of the Bata group († 1932) April 3:
- Theodor von Heigelin , German colonial officer († 1930) April 6:
- Teresa del Riego , English pianist, violinist and composer († 1963) April 7th:
- Heinrich Tessenow , German architect, professor († 1950) April 7:
- Augusto Álvaro da Silva , Archbishop of São Salvador da Bahia and Cardinal († 1968) April 8:
- April 10: Jean-Marie Musy , Swiss politician († 1952)
- April 11: Ivan Jawachishvili , Georgian historian († 1940)
- April 12: Carl Heinrich Becker , German politician, Prussian Minister of Education († 1933)
- April 13: Are Waerland , Finnish-Swedish nutrition reformer and author († 1955)
- April 14: Curt von Ulrich , German politician, President of the Prussian Province of Saxony († 1946)
- April 14: Emil Molt , German entrepreneur, social reformer, founder of the first Waldorf school († 1936)
- April 14: Amédée Tremblay , Canadian organist, composer and music teacher († 1949)
- April 15: Raoul Auernheimer , Austrian lawyer and writer († 1948)
- April 15: Friedrich Radszuweit , German entrepreneur and writer († 1932)
- April 17: Aleksander Majkowski , Kashubian and Polish author († 1938)
- April 17th: Fatma Pesend , wife of Sultan Abdülhamid II († 1924)
- April 19: Heinrich zu Mecklenburg , German nobleman, Duke of Mecklenburg, Prince of Wenden, Schwerin and Ratzeburg, Count of Schwerin, Lord of the Lands of Rostock and Stargard († 1934)
- April 21: Franz von Zedlitz and Leipe , German baron and marksman († 1944)
- April 22: Róbert Bárány , Hungarian physician, neurochemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1936)
- April 22nd: Ole Edvart Rølvaag , Norwegian-American writer († 1931)
- April 23: Arthur Moeller van den Bruck , German cultural historian and writer († 1925)
- April 24: Erich Raeder , German admiral and chief of naval command († 1960)
- April 26: Heinrich Hirtsiefer , German politician and Nazi persecuted († 1941)
- April 26: Luis Zuegg , South Tyrolean cable car pioneer († 1955)
- April 26: Otto Linnemann , German glass painter and wall and decoration painter († 1961)
- April 26th: Mariam Thresia Chiramel Mankidiyan , Blessed Indian nun and founder of the order († 1926)
- April 27: Heinrich Mache , Austrian physicist († 1954)
- April 28: Nicola Romeo , Italian engineer and entrepreneur († 1938)
- April 29: Alexander Bittorf , German internal physician and pathologist († 1949)
- April 29 : Gian Ferdinando Tomaselli , Italian track cyclist, motorcycle and automobile racer and designer († 1944 )
- April 29: Zauditu , first monarch of Ethiopia († 1930)
- Ilse Arlt , Austrian social worker († 1960) May 1:
- Georg Greve , German impressionist painter († 1963) May 1:
- Willy Arend , German racing cyclist († 1964) May 2:
- Bertha Hintz , German painter († 1967) May 3:
- James Edward Murray , American politician († 1961) May 3:
- Richard Ohnsorg , German actor, theater founder and artistic director († 1947) May 3:
- Chikamatsu Shūkō , Japanese writer and literary critic († 1944) May 4:
- Paul Silverberg , German industrialist († 1959) May 6:
- Ernst Hardt , German writer († 1947) May 9:
- May 10: Ivan Cankar , Slovenian writer († 1918)
- May 10: Carl Cremer , German politician († 1953)
- May 10: Leopold Hennet , Austrian agrarian, civil servant and minister († 1950)
- May 13: Raoul Laparra , French composer († 1943)
- May 14: Wilhelm Polligkeit , lawyer and Nestor of German welfare and welfare care († 1960)
- May 17: Alfred Götze , German philologist and Germanist († 1946)
- May 17: Konstantin Gorbatoff , Russian painter († 1945)
- May 17: Carrie Tubb , English soprano († 1976)
- May 18: Hermann Müller , German politician and Reich Chancellor († 1931)
- May 19: Saint-Georges de Bouhélier , French writer († 1947)
- May 21: Hermann Wopfner , Austrian historian and folklorist († 1963)
- May 22: Julius Klinger , Austrian painter and graphic artist († 1942)
- May 24th: Maurilio Fossati , Archbishop of Turin and Cardinal († 1965)
- May 24: Albert Uffenheimer , German doctor († 1941)
- May 25: Friedrich Ackermann , Bavarian politician and lawyer († 1949)
- May 27th: Thubten Gyatsho : 13th Dalai Lama († 1933)
- May 29: Marguerite Hasselmans , French pianist († 1947)
- May 29: Walther Freiherr von Holzhausen , German chess player († 1935)
- May 29: Johannes Henricus Zaaijer , Dutch physician († 1932)
- Austin Peay , American politician, Governor of Tennessee († 1927) June 1:
- Hakon Børresen , Danish composer († 1954) June 2:
- Ramón Cabanillas , Spanish-Galician writer († 1959) June 3:
- Lore Agnes , German politician and women's rights activist († 1953) June 4:
- Anton Günther , folk poet and singer of the Ore Mountains († 1937) June 5:
- Anthony Jackson , American pianist, singer and composer († 1920) June 5:
- June 10: Wilhelm Ernst , German nobleman, Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach († 1923)
- June 12: Maria Marc , German painter († 1955)
- June 13: William Sealy Gosset , English statistician († 1937)
- June 14: Jakob Meisenheimer , German chemist († 1934)
- June 14: George Townshend , Irish Bahai († 1957)
- June 15: Margaret Ives Abbott , American golfer († 1955)
- June 19: Nigel Gresley , British steam locomotive designer († 1941)
- June 20: Viktor Klemperer von Klemenau , German banker († 1943)
- June 20: Ladislaus Tuszyński , Austrian illustrator, caricaturist and animator († 1943)
- June 21: Willem Hendrik Keesom , Dutch physicist († 1956)
- June 22nd: Hermann Hummel , President of Baden († 1952)
- June 22nd: Max P. Pottag , German horn player († 1970)
- June 22nd: José Rolón , Mexican composer († 1945)
- June 26: Johannes Paul Aeltermann , German clergyman († 1939)
- June 26: Fritz Pferdekämper , German sinologist († 1915)
- June 27: Artur Dinter , German writer and Nazi politician († 1948)
- June 27: Franz Baumgartner , Austrian architect († 1946)
- June 28: Marius Besson , bishop in the diocese of Lausanne-Geneva-Friborg († 1945)
- June 28: Robert Guérin , French football official, first president of the world football association FIFA († 1952)
- June 28: Alfred Marxer , Swiss painter and graphic artist († 1945)
- Harriet Brooks , Canadian nuclear physicist († 1933) July 2:
- Wilhelm Cuno , German politician, Chancellor of the Weimar Republic († 1933) July 2:
- Oscar Näumann , German gymnast († 1937) July 3:
- Heinrich Vedder , German Protestant missionary, linguist and ethnologist († 1972) July 3:
- Josef Tillmans , German food chemist († 1935) July 4th:
- Max Hartmann , German biologist and philosopher († 1962) July 7th:
- Leo von Jena , member of the SS and the Waffen-SS († 1957) July 8:
- Charles Brough , American politician († 1935) July 9:
- July 10: Hermann Apelt , German politician († 1960)
- July 12: Alphaeus Philemon Cole , American artist, engraver, illustrator, etcher († 1988)
- July 15: Carl Sonnenschein , German theologian († 1929)
- July 16: Edward Dent , English musicologist († 1957)
- July 16: Alfred Stock , German chemist († 1946)
- July 17: Maxim Maximowitsch Litvinow , Soviet Foreign Minister († 1951)
- July 19: Ignaz Seipel , Austrian Federal Chancellor († 1932)
- July 20: Otto Blumenthal , German mathematician († 1944)
- July 23: Aino Ackté , Finnish soprano († 1944)
- July 24: Herbert Douglas Austin , American Romanist and Italianist († 1960)
- July 25: Elisabeth Gabriele , Queen of Belgium († 1965)
- July 26th: Georges André , French winter sports enthusiast († 1945)
- July 26th: Rosina Anselmi , Italian actress († 1965)
- July 28: Walther Kolbe , German ancient historian († 1943)
- Elisabeth Andrae , German painter († 1945) August 3:
- Luis Felipe Arias , Guatemalan pianist and composer († 1908) August 3:
- Mortimer Wilson , American composer († 1932) August 6:
- John August Anderson , American astronomer († 1959) August 7:
- Mata Hari , Dutch dancer, courtesan and spy during the First World War († 1917) August 7th:
- Hans Karl Abel , German writer († 1951) August 8:
- August 14: Aleksandar Obrenović , Serbian King († 1903)
- August 15: Carl Albert Andersen , Norwegian athlete and gymnast († 1951)
- August 15: Wolfgang Pauly , German-Romanian chess composer († 1934)
- August 17: Theodor Däubler , German writer († 1934)
- August 17: Dragutin Dimitrijević , Serbian politician and officer († 1917)
- August 17: Henri Winkelman , Dutch general († 1952)
- August 18: George B. Martin , American politician († 1945)
- August 20: Joaquín Samuel del Corazón de Jesús de Anchorena Riglos , Argentine lawyer and politician († 1961)
- August 20: Onoe Saishū , Japanese Tanka poet († 1957)
- August 23: William Melville Martin , Canadian politician and judge († 1970)
- August 26: Erich Ziegel , German actor, director, artistic director and playwright († 1950)
- August 28: August Mayer , German gynecologist († 1968)
- August 28: Heinrich Wolfgang Seidel , German pastor and writer († 1945)
- August 29: Philipp Friedrich Wilhelm Abegg , German administrative officer († 1951)
- August 29: Charles Kettering , American farmer, school teacher, engineer, scientist, inventor and philosopher († 1958)
- August 29: Albert Ritchie , American politician († 1936)
- Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb , German Field Marshal General († 1956) September 5:
- John James Richard Macleod , Canadian physiologist († 1935) September 6:
- Louis Marie François Andlauer , French organist and composer († 1915) September 7th:
- Elmer Thomas , American politician († 1965) September 8:
- Ernst Burchard , German physician and sexologist († 1920) September 9:
- September 10: Andri Augustin , Swiss Romance philologist († 1939)
- September 10: Hugh D. McIntosh , Australian sports promoter, newspaper publisher and theater entrepreneur († 1942)
- September 11: Alfonso Broqua , Uruguayan composer († 1946)
- September 11th: Stan Rowley , Australian athlete and Olympic champion († 1924)
- September 12: Frieda Gallati , Swiss historian († 1955)
- September 13: Sherwood Anderson , American writer († 1941)
- September 15: Roscoe C. Patterson , American politician († 1954)
- September 15: Nikolai Sergejew , Russian dancer († 1951)
- September 15: Bruno Walter , German-American conductor, pianist and composer († 1962)
- September 16: Francisco Camet , Argentine fencer († 1931)
- September 16: Marvin Hart , American heavyweight boxing champion († 1931)
- September 17: Leonhard Schrickel , German writer of historical novels and local researcher († 1931)
- September 18: Karl Anton Kreuter , German teacher, author, local researcher († 1965)
- September 18: James Scullin , Australian politician and Prime Minister († 1953)
- September 18: Fritz Stavenhagen , Low German playwright († 1906)
- September 23: Michael Dachs , German composer and music theorist († 1941)
- September 23: Brudenell White , Australian general († 1940)
- September 26: Edith Abbott , American social scientist († 1957)
- Willi Ostermann , German 'songwriter' and carnivalist († 1936) October 1:
- Lola Artôt de Padilla , French-Spanish soprano († 1933) October 5:
- Serafín María Armora y González , Mexican bishop († 1955) October 6:
- Leo Sternberg , German writer and poet († 1937) October 7:
- Hans Stille , German professor of geology († 1966) October 8:
- Rose Austerlitz , German writer and editor († 1939) October 9:
- October 10: William James Bryan , American lawyer and politician († 1908)
- October 11: Käthe Buchler , German photographer and pioneer of color photography († 1930)
- October 11: Gertrud von le Fort , German writer († 1971)
- October 15: Edmund Adler , Austrian artist († 1965)
- October 15: Elmer Drew Merrill , American botanist († 1956)
- October 16: Ernst Articus , German lawyer and civil servant († 1947)
- October 17th: Hippolyte Aucouturier , French cyclist († 1944)
- October 18: Charles Adams , American entrepreneur, owner of the Boston Bruins († 1947)
- October 22: Karl Borromäus Adam , German theologian and dogmatist († 1966)
- October 22: Fiddlin 'Sam Long , American old-time musician († 1931)
- October 26: Friedrich Franz Friedmann , German physician, pioneer of tuberculosis research († 1953)
- October 27: Ferdinand Werner , German teacher and politician (DNVP, NSDAP) († 1961)
- October 28: Raffaele Carlo Rossi , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1948)
- October 30: Marie-Louise Müller-Weiss , court opera singer, wife of ERWeiss, chamber singer († 1935)
- October 31: Natalie Clifford Barney , American founder of a literary salon († 1972)
- October 31: Georges Barrère , French flautist († 1944)
- October 31: Heinrich Leuchtgens , German politician († 1959)
- Albert Maria Fuchs , German auxiliary bishop († 1944) November 1:
- Eugeniusz Morawski-Dąbrowa , Polish composer († 1948) November 2:
- Ludwig Adler , Austrian obstetrician and gynecologist († 1958) November 7th:
- Culbert Olson , 29th Governor of California († 1962) November 7th:
- Annemarie von Auerswald , German canon, writer and museum director († 1945) November 8:
- Noguchi Hideyo , Japanese bacteriologist († 1928) November 9:
- Franz Huth , German painter († 1970) November 9:
- November 12: Adalbert Wietek , German architect († 1933)
- November 13: William Noble Andrews , American politician († 1937)
- November 13: Cary Hardee , American politician († 1957)
- November 14: Anton Aberle , German-Swiss architect († 1953)
- November 14: Hermann Ludwig Blankenburg , German composer († 1956)
- November 15: Anton Rintelen , Austrian lawyer and politician († 1946)
- November 15: Enno Heidebroek , German professor († 1955)
- November 17: Ernst Pfuhl , German archaeologist († 1940)
- November 17: August Sander , German photographer († 1964)
- November 18: Victor Hémery , French racing car driver († 1950)
- November 20: Rudolf Koch , German calligrapher, typographer and teacher († 1934)
- November 21: Benno Arnold , German textile industrialist († 1944)
- November 21: Olav Duun , Norwegian writer († 1939)
- November 22nd: Pierre-André-Charles Petit de Julleville , Archbishop of Rouen and Cardinal († 1947)
- November 23: Manuel de Falla , Spanish composer († 1946)
- November 23: Oskar Katzenellenbogen , Polish journalist and literary critic († 1942)
- November 24th: Michael Bey , German politician and resistance fighter († 1947)
- November 25: Joseph Anton Schneiderfranken , German writer and painter († 1943)
- November 26: Ernst Bickel , German classical philologist († 1961)
- November 26: Willis Carrier , American engineer and inventor († 1950)
- November 26: Ernst Münch , German forest scientist († 1946)
- November 27: Viktor Kaplan , Austrian engineer († 1934)
- November 29: Nellie Tayloe Ross , American politician, governor of Wyoming († 1977)
- November 30: Bernhard Adelung , German politician, Prime Minister of Hesse († 1943)
- Louvigny de Montigny , Canadian journalist, writer and critic († 1955) December 1:
- Leopold von Wiese , American football legend and owner of the NY Giants († 1969) December 2:
- Domingo Hồ Ngọc Cẩn , Vietnamese Roman Catholic bishop († 1948) December 3:
- August Lämmle , German dialect poet († 1962) December 3:
- Eugen Wednesday , German orientalist († 1942) December 4:
- Ludwig Schiedermair , German privy councilor and musicologist († 1957) December 7th:
- Heinrich Straumer , German architect († 1937) December 7th:
- Pauline Iselin , American golfer († 1946) December 9:
- Ōta Mizuho , Japanese writer († 1955) December 9:
- December 11th: Léon Huybrechts , Belgian regatta sailor († 1956)
- December 11: Mieczysław Karłowicz , Polish composer († 1909)
- December 12: Alvin Kraenzlein , American athlete († 1928)
- December 15: Ferdinand Hardekopf , German journalist, writer, poet and translator († 1954)
- December 16: Rodolphe William Seeldrayers , Belgian football official, FIFA President († 1955)
- December 17th: Jakob Hofmann , sculptor from Lower Saxony († 1955)
- December 19: Enrique Pla y Deniel , Archbishop of Toledo and Cardinal († 1968)
- December 20: Walter Sydney Adams , American astronomer († 1956)
- December 20: Martha Müller-Grählert , Low German writer († 1939)
- December 21: Albert Martmöller , German trade unionist and social democrat († 1953)
- December 21: Karl Mensing , German lawyer († 1953)
- December 22nd: Janina Korolewicz-Waydowa , Polish opera singer and music teacher († 1955)
- December 22: Filippo Tommaso Marinetti , Italian poet and politician († 1944)
- December 23: Edwin Meredith , American businessman and politician († 1928)
- December 23: Franz Osten , German film director († 1956)
- December 25: Muhammad Ali Jinnah , politician, founder of Pakistan († 1948)
- December 25th: Adolf Windaus , German chemist († 1959)
- December 29th: Pablo Casals , Spanish cellist, composer and conductor († 1973)
- December 29: Alfred Lamoureux , Canadian composer and music teacher († 1954)
- December 29: Karl Slevogt , German designer, automobile pioneer and racing driver († 1951)
- December 29: Adolf Weber , German economist († 1963)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Harry Adams , American naval officer and polar traveler († unknown)
- Yusuf Akçura , Tatar-Ottoman activist and ideologist († 1935)
- Emile Appay , French landscape painter and watercolorist († 1935)
- Lina Drechsler Adamson , Canadian violinist and music teacher († 1960)
- Myfit Bey Libohova , Albanian politician († 1927)
- Bernardo de Sá Nogueira de Figueiredo , Portuguese politician (* 1795) January 6:
- Adolphe Deloffre , French conductor and violinist (* 1817) January 8:
- Samuel Gridley Howe , American doctor, founder of the Perkins School for the Blind (* 1801) January 9:
- Theodor Märcker , German politician (* 1796) January 9:
- January 13: Heinrich Lang , German theologian (* 1826)
- January 16: Georg Beer , German organ builder (* 1816)
- January 21: Charles Jackson , American politician (* 1797)
- January 22nd: Hippolyte Dussard , French economist (* 1798)
- January 22nd: Francis Thomas , American politician (* 1799)
- January 26th: Frédérick Lemaître , French actor (* 1800)
- January 28: Ferenc Deák , Hungarian politician (* 1803)
- January 29: Pyotr Bagration , Russian general and governor of Tver (* 1818)
- Gino Capponi , Italian politician, historian and poet (* 1792) February 3:
- February 13: Gabriel Andral , French medic (* 1797)
- February 16: Karl Gustav Nieritz , German folk and youth writer (* 1795)
- February 19: Adolphe Brongniart , French botanist (* 1801)
- February 24: Joseph Jenkins Roberts , Liberian President (* 1809)
- February 24: Abraham Watkins Venable , American politician (* 1799)
- March 4: Alfred Holmes , English violinist and composer (* 1837)
- Marie Cathérine Sophie d'Agoult , French writer (* 1805) March 5:
- March 18: Ferdinand Freiligrath , German lyric poet, poet and translator (* 1810)
- March 19: Hancock Jackson , American politician (* 1796)
- March 19: Józef Stefani , Polish composer (* 1800)
- March 20: Alois Boczek , Austrian tax officer, journalist, member of the Frankfurt National Assembly (* 1817)
- March 23: Alfred Osborn Pope Nicholson , American politician (* 1808)
- March 26: James Y. Smith , American politician (* 1809)
- Henriette Davidis , German cook and cookbook author (* 1801) April 3:
- Charles Smith Olden , American politician (* 1799) April 7th:
- April 10: Carl Anton Christian Agthe , German theologian and educator (* 1806)
- April 16: Trusten Polk , American politician (* 1811)
- April 22nd: Édouard d'Anglemont , French poet (* 1798)
- April 22nd: Elisabeth Maria , Portuguese princess, regent of Portugal (* 1801)
- Alois Hörbiger , Austrian organ builder (* 1810) May 7th:
- Franz Graf von Pocci , German draftsman, etcher, writer and musician (* 1807) May 7th:
- May 20: Willis A. Gorman , American politician (* 1816)
- May 23: Gideon von Krismanic , Austrian major general (* 1817)
- May 27: Carl Overweg , German politician and industrialist (* 1805)
- May 29: Friedrich Christian Diez , German Romanist (* 1794)
- May 31: Rudolph Apponyi von Nagy-Appony , Austro-Hungarian diplomat (* 1812)
- Christo Botew , Bulgarian revolutionary (* 1848) June 1:
- Joséphine , Queen of Sweden (* 1807) June 7th:
- George Sand , French writer (* 1804) June 8:
- June 10: Julius Heinrich Petermann , German orientalist (* 1801)
- June 15: Hüseyin Avni Pascha , Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (* 1819)
- June 20: Johann Ludwig Anderwert , Swiss politician (* 1802)
- June 21: Antonio López de Santa Anna , Mexican officer and politician (* 1794)
- June 24th: Jules Assézat , French journalist, publisher and anthropologist (* 1832)
- June 25: George Armstrong Custer , cavalry general during the American Civil War (* 1839)
- June 25: Thomas Overton Moore , American politician (* 1804)
- June 27: Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg , German biologist and zoologist (* 1795)
- June 28: August Wilhelm Ambros , Austrian music critic and composer (* 1816)
- Mikhail Alexandrovich Bakunin , Russian anarchist and social revolutionary (* 1814) July 1:
- Giuseppe Ferrari , Italian historian, philosopher and politician (* 1811) July 1:
- Ferdinand von Westphalen , Prussian Minister of the Interior (* 1799) July 2nd:
- July 13: Karl von der Groeben , Prussian general of the cavalry (* 1788)
- July 15: Aleksander Fredro , Polish playwright (* 1793)
- July 18: Karl Joseph Simrock , German poet and writer (* 1802)
- July 19: George E. Pugh , American politician (* 1822)
- July 20: Hans Riddervold , Norwegian Bishop and President of the Storting (* 1795)
- July 22nd: William Haile , American politician (* 1807)
- July 26: Allen T. Caperton , American politician (* 1810)
- July 26: Karl Uschner , German translator of ancient poems (* 1802)
- Bill Hickok , American western hero (* 1837) August 2:
- August 14: Carl Wilhelm Otto Koch , German lawyer, Mayor of Leipzig (* 1810)
- August 17th: Maximilian Joseph von Chelius , German ophthalmologist and surgeon (* 1794)
- August 21: Gustav Simon , German surgeon and author of medical books (* 1824)
- August 23: Joseph R. Underwood , American politician (* 1791)
- August 27: Michel Rodange , Luxembourgish writer (* 1827)
- August 30: Rudolf von Raumer , German Germanist (* 1815)
- Franz Xaver von Andlaw-Birseck , Baden diplomat (* 1799) September 4th:
- Manuel Blanco Encalada , Chilean politician (* 1790) September 5:
- American Horse I , Indian chief (* around 1830) September 9:
- September 11th: Nathaniel B. Baker , American politician (* 1818)
- September 12: Alexander Graf von Auersperg , Austrian poet and politician (* 1806)
- September 14: Rudolf Henneberg , German painter (* 1826)
- September 25: Ernst von Bandel , German painter and sculptor (* 1800)
- September 25: Adolf Glaßbrenner , German humorist and satirist (* 1810)
- Johannes Rebmann , German missionary and Africa traveler (* 1820) October 4:
- October 14: Francis Ormand Jonathan Smith , American politician (* 1806)
- October 19: Wendelin Haid , Catholic theologian and librarian (* 1803)
- October 27: Alexander von Dusch , German statesman (* 1789)
- October 31: Franz Dorotheus Gerlach , German classical philologist and ancient historian (* 1793)
- Giacomo Antonelli , Roman cardinal and state secretary (* 1806) November 6th:
- Édouard Baptiste , French composer, organist and music teacher (* 1820) November 9th:
- Friedrich Ritschl , German philologist (* 1806) November 9th:
- November 12th: Edouard Plouvier , French playwright and librettist (* 1821)
- November 16: Julius Lasker , Prussian medic and writer (* 1811)
- November 21: João Carlos de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun , Portuguese politician and general (* 1790)
- November 21: Vinzenz Jakob von Zuccalmaglio , German writer (* 1806)
- November 26: Heinrich Ernst Bindseil , German librarian and historian (* 1803)
- November 28: Karl Ernst von Baer , Estonian naturalist (* 1792)
- November 29: Christian Wilhelm Zeraeua , traditional leader of the Zeraeua, a Herero clan (* unknown)
- Hermann Goetz , German composer (* 1840) December 3:
- Hermann Köchly , German classical philologist (* 1815) December 3:
- Hermann von Barth , German mountaineer (* 1845) December 7th:
- December 13: Johannes Zimmermann , German Protestant missionary, linguist and Bible translator (* 1825)
- December 17: William C. Cozzens , American politician (* 1811)
- December 18: Luise Hensel , German poet (* 1798)
- December 26: Georg Friedrich Ludwig Avé-Lallemant , German theologian and librarian (* 1807)
- December 26th: Eduard Mohr , German Africa explorer (* 1828)
- December 28: Ferdinand von Loehr , German medic and politician (* 1817)
- December 28: Frederik Paludan-Müller , Danish writer (* 1809)
Exact date of death unknown
- Joan Josep Amengual i Reus , Spanish writer, lawyer and philologist (* 1796)
- Simon Anton Zimmermann , German conductor, choir director and composer (* 1807)