Calendar overview 1872
|Leipzig treason trial to August Bebel and Wilhelm Liebknecht convicted in the German-French war have called for peace.|
|Victoria Woodhull is the first woman to run for the US presidency, despite the fact that women do not have the right to vote.||Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City opens.|
Yellowstone National Park
|Albert Memorial in London opens.||Austro-Hungarian North Pole expedition begins under the direction of Carl Weyprecht and Julius von Payer .|
|1872 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1320/21 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1864/65 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||28/29 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1277/78 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2415/16 (southern Buddhism); 2414/15 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle
Year of the water monkey 壬申 ( at the beginning of the year metal sheep 辛未)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1234/35 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4205/06 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1250/51 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1288/89 (March 10-11)|
|Japanese calendar||Meiji 5 ( 明治 5 年 ) (from February 9th)|
|Jewish calendar||5632/33 (October 2/3)|
|Coptic calendar||1588/89 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1287/88 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2182/83 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2183/84 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1928/29 (April)|
Politics and world events
- January 1 : The criminal law for all German federal states comes into force.
- January 1 : The North German Order of Measures and Weight comes into force. This introduces the metric system in the German Empire; local and regional weights and measures are no longer used.
- March 11th : In Prussia all schools are placed under state supervision.
- March 11th : The treason trial against August Bebel and Wilhelm Liebknecht begins before the jury court in Leipzig because they had put forward a peace proposal in the Reichstag debate in 1870 about the granting of further funds for the Franco-German War .
- July 4 : In the entire German Empire branches are the Order of the Jesuits by the Jesuit law prohibited.
- November 21 : Otto von Bismarck is released from the office of Prussian Prime Minister until further notice for health reasons . His request to be released is denied.
- September 18th : Due to the death of his brother Karl XV. Oskar II becomes King of Sweden and Norway .
United States of America
- May 10 : Suffragette Victoria Woodhull is proposed as the first woman for the office of US President . Your opponents then revile the candidate as Mrs. Satan .
- November 5 : Presidential election in the United States, 1872 : incumbent President Ulysses S. Grant defeated his challenger Horace Greeley with 56 percent of the vote .
- December 9th : Pinckney Benton Stewart Pinchback rules as the new governor of the US state Louisiana . He is the first African American governor in the United States .
- March 5 : George Westinghouse receives a patent in the USA for the air brake he developed for railroad operations .
- April 9 : Samuel R. Percy receives a US patent for a process for making milk powder .
- John G. Taylor receives the first patent on a roller coaster .
- The daily newspaper The Boston Globe is founded. The first issue will appear on March 4th .
- March 24th : The first edition of the illustrated Wiener Extrablattes , which was published until 1928 - at times one of the highest-circulation Austrian newspapers - appears in Vienna.
- July 1 : The life insurance company for the army and navy opens.
- September 12 / October 4 : The Belgian Georges Nagelmackers founds the Georges Nagelmackers et Compagnie - Compagnie Internationale de Wagons-Lits in Liège .
- October 31 : The pharmaceutical company Engelhard Arzneimittel is created through the establishment of the pharmacist Karl Philipp Engelhard in Frankfurt am Main.
- November 12th : Dresdner Bank is founded by converting Bankhaus Kaskel, founded in 1771 , into a stock corporation in Dresden .
- The Italian company Pirelli (tire manufacturing) is founded.
- January 4th : A decree by the German postmaster general Heinrich von Stephan encourages the establishment of savings and advance payment associations for postal officials (predecessors of the PSD banks ).
- February 23 : The Mauser Model 71 rifle produced in the Königlich Württembergischen rifle factory in Oberndorf am Neckar is introduced as the first German Reich rifle .
- May 19 : History of the Frankfurt am Main tram : In Frankfurt am Main , the horse -drawn tram built by the Frankfurter Trambahn-Gesellschaft begins operation.
- September 26th : The travel agency Thomas Cook and Son has organized the first world tour , which will end 222 days later with the return of the participants.
- October 19 : Gold prospectors Beyers and Holtermann discovered a gold nugget in the Star of Hope Mine in New South Wales . Holtermann's Nugget weighs 214.32 kg and is the largest lump of gold found in the world to date.
- A Reich law orders the closure of all casinos in the Reich.
science and technology
- July: The Austro-Hungarian North Pole expedition under the direction of Carl Weyprecht and Julius Payer begins on the sailing ship S / X Admiral Tegetthoff .
- December 21 : The Challenger expedition organized by William Benjamin Carpenter begins. The British corvette HMS Challenger is sailing from Portsmouth to Portugal under Captain George Nares . The natural scientists Charles Wyville Thomson and John Murray are on board .
- November 26 : The first edition of Charles Darwin's work The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals ( The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals ) appears.
- August 22nd : The Trans-Australian Telegraph Line from Port Augusta in the south of the continent to Darwin on the north coast is completed.
- December 31 : With the Albert Bridge , London opens a connection between the two districts of Chelsea and Battersea across the Thames .
- At the request of Leland Stanford (railroad tycoon and California governor), photographer Eadweard Muybridge proves that horses are in the air with all four legs in the air while trotting . Muybridge thus established modern series photography .
- The experimental Aldershot Narrow Gauge Suspension Railway is being built and, after a few successful experiments, demolished.
Teaching and Research
- October 12 : The Toledo University of Arts and Trades , predecessor of the University of Toledo , is founded.
- The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna is founded. The opening takes place on October 15th .
- December 26th : The Hydrographic Institute of the Italian Navy is founded in Genoa .
- Establishment of the University of Cluj-Napoca , which later became the " University of Science Szeged "
- Claude Monet paints the picture Impression, soleil levant , which gives Impressionism its name.
- Édouard Manet painted in oil on canvas the image Berthe Morisot with violets . It depicts Berthe Morisot , a painter friend of Manet's , who has been his preferred model since 1868 . Using the picture as a template, Manet also created an etching and two lithographs in which he varied the motif.
- Opening of the Kunsthalle Basel
- Opening of the Albert Memorial in London designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott
- The capital of Karl Marx is translated into Russian.
- On the occasion of Franz Grillparzer's 80th birthday, Katharina Fröhlich donates the Franz Grillparzer Prize .
- The princess and the leprechaun
- Wilhelm Busch publishes the picture story Bilder zur Jobsiade .
Music and theater
- March 21 : The world premiere of the opera Hermione by Max Bruch takes place at the Hofoper Berlin .
- May 22nd : The opera Djamileh by Georges Bizet based on the libretto by Louis Gallet is premiered at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- May 22 : Richard Wagner lays the foundation stone for the Bayreuth Festival Hall .
- September 15 : The Vienna City Theater , built by the architects Ferdinand Fellner the Elder and Ferdinand Fellner the Younger for a private company of the journalist Max Friedländer and the playwright and playwright Heinrich Laube , opens with Schiller's Demetrius in an adaptation of Laubes.
- October 12th : Ludwig Anzengruber's play Die Kreuzelschreiber has its world premiere at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna. The music for the peasant comedy with singing comes from Adolf Müller senior .
- October 13 : The Finnish National Theater opens in Pori .
- November 16 : The world premiere of the operetta Sol-si-ré-pif-pan by Georges Bizet takes place at the Château d'Eau in Paris.
- The Trinity College of Music was founded.
nature and environment
- March 1st : Creation of the world's first national park , Yellowstone National Park in the United States
- February 26th : In a major fire, Tokyo's Ginza business district is completely destroyed. Just six days later, the Japanese government decided to rebuild the area in the style of a European boulevard.
- March 26 : Earthquake of unknown magnitude in Owens Valley , California , USA, kills 27
- April 26th : An eruption of Vesuvius destroys the towns of Massa di Somma and San Sebastiano al Vesuvio and kills 20 unwary bystanders.
- April: Earthquake in Turkey , over 1,000 dead
- November: In the night from November 12th to 13th, the entire German Baltic Sea coast is hit by a severe storm flood, 271 dead (see Baltic Sea storm flood 1872 ).
- In the winter of 1872/1873, 17 Norwegian seal hunters died in Svenskhuset on Spitsbergen from lead poisoning caused by the consumption of canned food.
- March 16 : The first soccer cup final kicked off in Great Britain . The Wanderers FC win with a 1: 0 against the Royal Engineers the FA Cup .
- November 30 : The first international football match is played by Scotland and England in Glasgow and ends 0-0.
- The well-known badminton game will be presented for the first time by the Duke of Beaufort at his country estate Badminton in England.
- January 4 : Karl Segebrock , German-Baltic missionary and Protestant martyr († 1896 )
- January 4th : Edmund Rumpler , Austrian automobile and aircraft manufacturer († 1940 )
- January 6 : Franz Hoffmann , Austrian military bandmaster and composer († 1946 )
- January 6 : Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin , Russian pianist and composer († 1915 )
- January 9 : Emma Grolimund , Swiss writer and teacher († 1944 )
- January 9 : Ivar Lykke , Norwegian conservative politician († 1949 )
- January 10 : Frederic Storck , Romanian sculptor († 1942 )
- January 11 : Paul Graener , German composer († 1944 )
- January 12th : Beatrice Langley , English violinist († 1958 )
- January 15 : Arsen Borissowitsch Kozojew , Soviet writer († 1944 )
- January 16 : Henri Busser , French composer († 1973 )
- January 16 : Edward Gordon Craig , English actor, director and theater theorist († 1966 )
- January 18 : Philippe Emmanuel d'Orléans , French nobleman († 1931 )
- January 19 : Heinrich Laufenberg , German historian, journalist and politician († 1932 )
- January 19 : Rosina Storchio , Italian opera singer († 1945 )
- January 20 : Harriet Straub , German doctor and writer († 1945 )
- January 22nd : Nicholas of Greece , Greek Prince († 1938 )
- January 23 : Paul Langevin , French physicist († 1946 )
- January 23 : Jože Plečnik , Slovenian architect († 1957 )
- January 24 : John W. Harreld , American politician († 1950 )
- January 24 : Morris William Travers , English chemist († 1961 )
- January 27 : Lipót Aschner , Hungarian industrialist († 1952 )
- January 28 : Otto Braun , German politician of the Weimar Republic († 1955 )
- January 31 : Zane Gray , American writer († 1939 )
- February 2 : Tomé José de Barros Queirós , Portuguese Finance Minister and Prime Minister († 1925 )
- February 8 : Theodor Lessing , German philosopher and publicist († 1933 )
- February 9 : Karl Prinz , Austrian classical philologist († 1945 )
- February 11 : Edward Johnston , British calligrapher, typographer and teacher († 1944 )
- February 12 : Conrad Heese , German lawyer and judiciary († 1945 )
- February 12 : Diedrich Speckmann , German writer († 1938 )
- February 17th : Wilhelm Kaufmann , German gymnast
- February 17 : Alfred Schulte , Lord Mayor of Wiesbaden († 1957 )
- February 18 : Fernand Halphen , French composer († 1917 )
- February 20 : Herbert Hadley , American politician († 1927 )
- February 21 : William John Gies , American biochemist and dentist († 1956 )
- February 27 : Ellery Sedgwick , American writer († 1960 )
- March 2 : Rudolf Helm , German classical philologist († 1966 )
- March 3 : Wilhelm Ahrens , German mathematician and writer († 1927 )
- March 6 : Johan Bojer , Norwegian writer († 1959 )
- March 6 : Paul Juon , Russian composer († 1940 )
- March 7 : Carl August Brückner , German founder of the Reformed Apostolic Congregation Association († 1949 )
- March 7th : Piet Mondrian , Dutch painter († 1944 )
- March 7th : Giuseppe Pometta , Swiss teacher and historian († 1963 )
- March 7 : Wassili Andrejewitsch Solotarjow , Russian composer († 1964 )
- March 9 : Tom Delahanty , American baseball player († 1951 )
- March 10 : Camillo Schumann , German late romantic composer († 1946 )
- March 10 : Aron Solz , Russian lawyer and revolutionary († 1945 )
- March 12 : Ernst Hottenroth , German sculptor († 1908 )
- March 13 : Josef Rosemeyer , German track cyclist, inventor and entrepreneur († 1919 )
- March 14 : William Emerson Brock , American politician († 1950 )
- March 18 : Charles Laban Abernethy , American politician († 1955 )
- March 20 : Bernhard Goldenberg , German engineer († 1917 )
- March 20 : Bernhard Sekles , German composer and music teacher († 1934 )
- March 22nd : Fritz Stüber-Gunther , Austrian writer († 1922 )
- March 24th : Édouard Nanny , French double bass player and composer († 1942 )
- March 26 : Émile Armand , French anarchist and author († 1962 )
- March 29 : Alphonse Boog , French composer, educator and historian († 1949 )
- March 30 : Frederic Austin , English opera singer and composer († 1952 )
- March 30 : Sergei Wassilenko , Russian composer and conductor († 1956 )
- March 31 : Sergei Djagilew , Russian editor, art critic and curator († 1929 )
- March 31 : Arthur Griffith , Irish politician († 1922 )
- March 31 : Alexandra Kollontai , Russian revolutionary and diplomat († 1952 )
- April 1 : Conrad Gröber , German bishop († 1948 )
- April 2 : Ludwig Habich , German sculptor († 1949 )
- April 2 : Alois Scheiwiler , Bishop of St. Gallen († 1938 )
- April 3 : William Hughes , American politician († 1918 )
- April 5 : Hans Beschorner , German archivist and historian († 1956 )
- April 5 : Emmy von Egidy , German sculptor and writer († 1946 )
- April 7 : Marie Equi , American suffragette and doctor († 1952 )
- April 9 : Léon Blum , French politician († 1950 )
- April 9 : Emil Hagmann , German politician († 1919 )
- April 11 : Asdreni , Albanian poet († 1947 )
- April 12 : Georges Urbain , French chemist († 1938 )
- April 13 : Alexander Roda Roda , Austrian writer and publicist († 1945 )
- April 19 : Alice Salomon , social reformer in the German women's movement († 1948 )
- April 21 : Billy Bitzer , American cameraman († 1944 )
- April 22nd : Kurt Klamroth , German entrepreneur († 1947 )
- April 23 : Nathan P. Bryan , American politician († 1935 )
- April 23 : Arthur Farwell , American composer († 1952 )
- April 25 : Albrecht Bethe , German physiologist († 1954 )
- April 29 : Eyvind Alnæs , Norwegian composer († 1932 )
- May 1 : Hugo Alfvén , Swedish composer and conductor († 1960 )
- May 1 : Sidónio Pais , Portuguese military and coup activist, later president († 1918 )
- May 3 : Símun av Skarði , one of the founders of the Faroe Islands folk high school († 1942 )
- May 5 : Georges Grente , French clergyman, Bishop of Le Mans and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1959 )
- May 6 : Cemal Pasha , Turkish general and politician († 1922 )
- May 6 : Willem de Sitter , Dutch astronomer († 1934 )
- May 8 : Friedrich Ludwig , German music historian († 1930 )
- May 10 : Franz Johann Ludwig August Adenauer , German lawyer († 1952 )
- May 10 : Marcel Mauss , French ethnologist († 1950 )
- May 11 : Maximilian Bayer , German officer, scout († 1917 )
- May 12 : Eduard "Ede" Telcs , Hungarian sculptor and medalist († 1948 )
- May 14 : Marcel Renault , French automobile designer and racing driver († 1903 )
- May 16 : Bernhard Pankok , German architect and designer († 1943 )
- May 17 : Peter Goessler , German archaeologist († 1956 )
- May 18 : Bertrand Russell , British mathematician and philosopher († 1970 )
- May 20 : Albert Steinrück , German actor († 1929 )
- May 21 : Henri Jeannin , Franco-German racing driver and entrepreneur († 1973 )
- May 23 : Julio Acosta García , President of Costa Rica († 1954 )
- May 26 : António Maria da Silva , Portuguese politician and multiple Prime Minister of Portugal († 1950 )
- May 27 : Fanny Moser , Swiss zoologist and parapsychologist († 1953 )
- May 28 : Otto Bahr Halvorsen , Norwegian lawyer and conservative politician of the Høyre († 1923 )
- May 31 : Charles Greeley Abbot , American astrophysicist († 1973 )
- June 3 : Habibullah Khan , Emir of Afghanistan († 1919 )
- June 4 : William Willard Ashe , American botanist and forester († 1932 )
- June 5 : Cesare Galeotti , Italian composer, conductor and pianist († 1929 )
- June 6 : Alix von Hessen-Darmstadt , wife of Tsar Nicholas II († 1918 )
- June 7 : Leonid Sobinow , Russian opera singer († 1934 )
- June 8 : Francesco Morano , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1968 )
- June 8 : Wilhelm Ohnesorge , German politician and post minister (1937–1945) († 1962 )
- June 10 : Guy Park , American politician († 1946 )
- June 10 : Pedro Reszka , Chilean painter († 1960 )
- June 13 : Hans Erlwein , German master builder († 1914 )
- June 13 : Jan Szczepanik , Polish chemist and inventor († 1926 )
- June 16 : Hermann Hiltl , officer of the Austro-Hungarian Army and leader of the Front Fighter Association of German Austria († 1930 )
- June 17 : Bonaventura Cerretti , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1933 )
- June 17 : Mieczysław Michałowicz , Polish violinist and music teacher († after 1935)
- June 18 : Matti Aikio , Norwegian poet († 1929 )
- June 19 : Beatrix Farrand , American landscape architect († 1959 )
- June 20 : Hermann Bergengruen , German-Baltic theologian and Protestant martyr († 1919 )
- June 30 : Hugo Frederik Nierstrasz , Dutch zoologist († 1937 )
- July 1 : Louis Blériot , French aviation pioneer († 1936 )
- July 4 : Calvin Coolidge , American politician, 30th President of the USA († 1933 )
- July 4th : Eugenie Schwarzwald , Austrian teacher († 1940 )
- July 4 : Käthe Papke , German native writer († 1951 )
- July 4th : Adam David , Swiss African explorer and big game hunter († 1959 )
- July 8 : Sasaki Nobutsuna , Japanese writer († 1963 )
- July 8 : Heinrich Strieffler , German painter († 1949 )
- July 10 : Jacques Bizet , French entrepreneur and writer († 1922 )
- July 12 : Emil Hácha , Czech President of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia († 1945 )
- July 14 : Irene Abendroth , German chamber singer († 1932 )
- July 15 : Alfred Hertz , American conductor of German origin († 1942 )
- July 16 : Roald Amundsen , Norwegian polar explorer († 1928 )
- July 16 : Kurt Strümpell , German colonial officer († 1947 )
- July 18 : Julius Fučík , Bohemian composer and conductor († 1916 )
- July 22 : Karl Helfferich , German politician and banker († 1924 )
- July 23 : Edward Adrian Wilson , English polar explorer, doctor and ornithologist († 1912 )
- July 24th : Orpha-F. Deveaux , Canadian organist, music teacher and composer († 1933 )
- July 26 : Ludwig Anton , Austrian writer and doctor († 1941 )
- July 26 : Albert Bertelin , French composer († 1951 )
- July 27 : Else Lüders , politician († 1948 )
- July 28 : Percy Moreau Ashburn , American medic and military doctor († 1940 )
- July 30th : Clementine of Belgium , Princess of Belgium († 1955 )
- July 30th : Max Pohlenz , German classical philologist († 1962 )
- August 3 : Haakon VII , King of Norway († 1957 )
- August 3 : Christian Schreiber , German clergyman († 1933 )
- August 4 : Otto Erler , German playwright († 1943 )
- August 5 : Theresia Albers , German teacher and founder of the order († 1949 )
- August 7 : Andries Cornelis Dirk de Graeff , Governor General of the Dutch East Indies and Dutch Foreign Minister († 1957 )
- August 8 : Léon Saint-Réquier , French composer, organist and music teacher († 1964 )
- August 10 : Fritz Lau , Low German writer († 1966 )
- August 10 : Engelbert-Maria , Duke of Arenberg († 1949 )
- August 11 : Ernst Hoff , German association functionary († 1932 )
- August 13 : Richard Martin Willstätter , German chemist († 1942 )
- August 15 : Sri Aurobindo , Indian philosopher and guru, developer of integral yoga († 1950 )
- August 15 : Rubin Goldmark , American pianist and composer († 1936 )
- August 15 : James Vibert , Swiss sculptor († 1942 )
- August 16 : Jane Atché , French painter, graphic artist and poster artist († 1937 )
- August 16 : Siegmund von Hausegger , Austrian composer and conductor († 1948 )
- August 18 : René Victor Auberjonois , Swiss painter († 1957 )
- August 18 : Hugo Bettauer , Austrian writer († 1925 )
- August 20 : Henry Ernest Atkins , English chess player († 1955 )
- August 20 : Paul von Winterfeld , German classical philologist († 1905 )
- August 21 : Aubrey Beardsley , British poet, draftsman, graphic artist, caricaturist and illustrator († 1898 )
- August 21 : George White , American politician († 1953 )
- August 23 : Elsa Neumann , German physicist († 1902 )
- August 24 : Leo Schrattenholz , German composer, cellist and music teacher († 1955 )
- August 25 : Louis Brisset , French composer († 1939 )
- August 27 : Giovanni Battista Nasalli Rocca di Corneliano , Italian Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1952 )
- September 4 : Pietro Fumasoni Biondi , Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1960 )
- September 5 : Anton Staus , German mechanical engineer and astronomer († 1955 )
- September 5 : Rafael J. Tello , Mexican composer († 1961 )
- September 5 : Carl Friedrich von Siemens , German industrialist († 1941 )
- September 5 : Carlo von Erlanger , German ornithologist and explorer († 1904 )
- September 8 : George Henry Dern , American politician († 1936 )
- September 9 : Edward Burlingame Hill , American composer († 1960 )
- September 10 : Vladimir Klawdijewitsch Arsenjew , Russian explorer and writer († 1930 )
- September 12 : Heinrich Schulz , German politician († 1932 )
- September 15 : Ina von Grumbkow , German adventurer and author († 1942 )
- September 17 : Florencio Harmodio Arosemena , Panamanian President († 1945 )
- September 18 : Carl Friedberg , German pianist and music teacher († 1955 )
- September 18 : Adolf Schmal , Austrian fencer and cyclist († 1919 )
- September 21 : Octave Guillonnet , French painter († 1967 )
- September 22 : Eleanor Hallowell Abbott , American poet, novelist and children's book author († 1958 )
- September 22 : Sergei Aleksandrovich Buturlin , Russian ornithologist († 1938 )
- September 22 : Walter Henry Rothwell , English conductor († 1927 )
- September 24th : Carlo Graf Sforza , Italian politician, anti-fascist († 1952 )
- September 25 : Paul Reinecke , German archaeologist († 1958 )
- September 26 : Ottokar Theobald Graf Czernin von und zu Chudenitz , German diplomat († 1932 )
- September 27 : Karl Scheurer , Swiss politician († 1929 )
- September 28 : Richard Alexander Georg Wühner , Estonian pastor and Protestant martyr († 1919 )
- September 28 : Georg Herting , German sculptor († 1951 )
- September 28 : Franz John , German football official and photographer († 1952 )
- September 30 : Wilhelm Lobsien , German writer († 1947 )
- October 3 : Hermann Anschütz-Kaempfe , German inventor of the gyrocompass († 1931 )
- October 4 : Hans Rudolf Emil Ludwig Arnsperger , German internist († 1955 )
- October 5 : Agustín Parrado García , Archbishop of Granada and Cardinal († 1946 )
- October 5 : Friedrich Rittelmeyer , German Protestant theologian († 1938 )
- October 11 : Emily Davison , English suffragette († 1913 )
- October 11 : Reinder Pieter van Calcar , Dutch bacteriologist († 1957 )
- October 12 : Ralph Vaughan Williams , English composer and conductor († 1958 )
- October 14 : Reginald Doherty , English tennis player († 1910 )
- October 15 : Wilhelm Miklas , Austrian politician († 1956 )
- October 15 : Ben Olcott , American politician († 1952 )
- October 19 : Jacques E. Brandenberger , Swiss chemist and textile engineer, inventor of cellophane († 1954 )
- October 22 : Alessio Ascalesi , Italian clergyman, Archbishop of Naples and Cardinal († 1952 )
- October 25 : Alexander Hardcastle , captain of the British navy and amateur archaeologist († 1933 )
- October 25 : Franc-Nohain , French writer and librettist († 1934 )
- October 25 : Jacob Weber , German politician († 1944 )
- October 26 : Harold Fraser , American golfer († 1945 )
- October 29 : Hermann Haack , German cartographer († 1966 )
- October 30 : Heinrich Engels , official in the Archdiocese of Cologne († 1943 )
- November 1 : Friedrich Funder , Austrian journalist and publicist, publisher of the Vienna daily newspaper Reichspost († 1959 )
- November 3 : Paul Panzer , German actor († 1958 )
- November 4 : Max Heldt , German politician († 1933 )
- November 5 : Gustav Casmir , German fencer († 1910 )
- November 8 : Martin Onslow Forster , British chemist († 1945 )
- November 9 : Raissa Adler , Austrian women's rights activist († 1962 )
- November 10 : Mikhail Evsejewitsch Bukinik , Russian cellist, composer, music teacher and music critic († 1947 )
- November 11th : Maude Ewing Adams Kiskadden , American theater actress († 1953 )
- November 12 : Hermann Röchling , German coal and steel entrepreneur († 1955 )
- November 12 : Otto Schlueter , German geographer († 1959 )
- November 13 : Paul Askonas , Austrian actor († 1935 )
- November 15 : Hans Dominik , German engineer, science fiction and non-fiction author († 1945 )
- November 15 : Okamoto Kidō , Japanese playwright († 1939 )
- November 24th : Georgi Wassiljewitsch Tschitscherin , Russian politician. († 1936 )
- November 25 : Robert de Flers , French playwright and journalist († 1927 )
- November 26th : Cläre Stinnes , German entrepreneur, wife of the Ruhr industrialist Hugo Stinnes († 1973 )
- November 27 : Robert Franz Arnold , Austrian literary historian and librarian († 1938 )
- November 30 : George Balfour , American engineer, entrepreneur, Member of Parliament († 1941 )
- November 30 : Morris Fuller Benton , American engineer and typographer († 1948 )
- November 30 : John McCrae , Canadian poet, writer and medic († 1918 )
- November 30th : Otto Richter , German politician, co-founder of the Magdeburg building cooperative movement († 1927 )
- December 1 : Eduard Paul Benedict Frese , German-Baltic clergyman and evangelical confessor († 1919 )
- December 3 : Guido Holzknecht , Austrian doctor and radiologist († 1931 )
- December 5 : Harry Nelson Pillsbury , American chess player († 1906 )
- December 7th : Johan Huizinga , Dutch cultural historian († 1945 )
- December 9 : Thomas W. Hardwick , American politician, Governor of Georgia († 1944 )
- December 10th : Ludwig Klages , German philosopher and psychologist († 1956 )
- December 12 : Bruno Cassirer , German publisher and gallery owner († 1941 )
- December 12 : Karel Hoffmann , Czech violinist and music teacher († 1936 )
- December 12 : Heinrich Vogeler , German artist († 1942 )
- December 16 : Anton Ivanovich Denikin , Russian general († 1947 )
- December 18 : Abdullah Abdurahman , South African politician († 1940 )
- December 24 : Frederick Semple , American golf and tennis player († 1927 )
- December 25th : Naum Aronson , Russian-French sculptor († 1943 )
- December 29 : Charles Faroux , French motorsport official and race director († 1957 )
- December 30th : William Larned , American tennis player († 1926 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Marinos Antypas , Greek journalist († 1907 )
- Theodor Makridi , Ottoman civil servant and museum curator († 1940 )
- Hassan Pirnia , Iranian politician and Prime Minister of Iran († 1935 )
- January 2 : Wilhelm Löhe , German Protestant theologian (* 1808 )
- January 4 : Arnold Naudain , American politician (* 1790 )
- January 5th : Kereopa Te Rau , prophet of Pai Marire, a Māori religion in New Zealand
- January 7th : Archibald Atkinson , American politician (* 1792 )
- January 13 : Otto von Münchhausen , Prussian district administrator (* 1780 )
- January 14 : Joseph Christoph Keßler , German pianist and composer (* 1800 )
- January 15 : John King , British soldier and explorer (* 1838 or 1841 )
- January 18 : Caroline von Hessen-Homburg , Princess Reuss zu Greiz, Countess and Mistress of Plauen, Mistress of Greiz, Kranichfeld, Gera, Schleiz and Lobenstein, Regent of the Principality of Reuss older line (* 1819 )
- January 20 : Ludwig Leopold Liebig , German gardener and plant breeder (* 1801 )
- January 21 : Franz Grillparzer , Austrian poet and playwright (* 1791 )
- January 21 : Bedros Tourian , Armenian poet, playwright and actor (* 1851 )
- January 22nd : Franz von Elsholtz , German poet and writer (* 1791 )
- January 22nd : Luise von Plönnies , German writer (* 1803 )
- February 4th : James Chapman , English explorer of Africa (* 1831 )
- February 7 : James W. Grimes , American politician (* 1816 )
- February 7th : Nikolai Alexejewitsch Milyutin , Russian politician and reformer (* 1818 )
- February 10 : Feodora zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg , Duchess of Saxony-Meiningen (* 1839 )
- February 12 : Edward J. Roye , President of Liberia (* 1815 )
- February 17th : Jose Burgos , Filipino priest of the Catholic Church (* 1837 )
- February 17th : Mariano Gomez , Filipino priest of the Catholic Church (* 1799 )
- February 17th : Jacinto Zamora , Filipino priest of the Catholic Church (* 1835 )
- February 20 : Manuel Pando Fernández de Pinedo , Spanish historian and politician, Prime Minister of Spain (* 1792 )
- February 22nd : Ferdinand Kommerell , German mathematician (* 1818 )
- February 24th : William Webb Ellis , English clergyman, alleged inventor of rugby (* 1806 )
- March 10 : Giuseppe Mazzini , Italian nationalist and founder of "Young Italy" (* 1805 )
- March 12 : Zeng Guofan , Chinese statesman (* 1811 )
- March 19 : Jan van Boom , Dutch composer, pianist and music teacher (* 1807 )
- March 21 : Gustaf Andersson , Swedish organ builder and musician (* 1797 )
- March 27 : William Trousdale , American politician (* 1790 )
- April 2 : Samuel Morse , American inventor (* 1791 )
- April 2 : Bertram Pfeiffer , German politician (* 1797 )
- April 13 : Thomas Vowler Short , British clergyman and writer (* 1790 )
- April 15 : Peter G. Van Winkle , American politician (* 1808 )
- April 22 : George F. Fort , American politician (* 1809 )
- April 28 : Moriz Adolph Briegleb , German politician (* 1809 )
- April 30 : Walpurga Schindl , Tyrolean poet (* 1826 )
- May 1st : Amalia Maria da Gloria Augusta , Princess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Duchess of Saxony and Princess of the Netherlands (* 1830 )
- May 13 : Moritz Hartmann , Austrian journalist, writer and politician (* 1821 )
- May 13 : Georg Friedrich Carl Kölling , German sculptor (* 1825 )
- May 17th : Peter Roh , Jesuit preacher and teacher (* 1811 )
- May 17 : Fryderyk Edward Sobolewski , American composer (* 1808 )
- May 24th : Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld , German painter (* 1794 )
- May 28 : Sophie of Austria , daughter of King Maximilian I of Bavaria (* 1805 )
- May 31 : Friedrich Gerstäcker , German adventurer and writer (* 1816 )
- June 1 : John Sandfield Macdonald , Canadian politician (* 1812 )
- June 2 : Karl Bernhard Hundeshagen , German Reformed theologian (* 1810 )
- June 4th : Jean-Baptiste Philibert Vaillant , French general and Marshal of France (* 1790 )
- June 4th : Stanisław Moniuszko , Polish composer (* 1819 )
- June 8th : František Cyril Kampelík , Czech public enlightener and founder of self-help cooperatives (* 1805 )
- June 13 : Daniel Weisiger Adams , American lawyer and brigadier general (* 1821)
- June 20 : Élie-Frédéric Forey , French general and Marshal of France (* 1804 )
- June 21 : Robert Prutz , German writer (* 1816 )
- July 7th : Pierre Lachambeaudie , French fabulous poet (* 1806 )
- July 11 : Eugenia Tadolini , Italian opera singer (* 1809 )
- July 18 : Benito Juárez , Mexican statesman and President (* 1806 )
- July 20 : Archibald Hunter Arrington , American politician (* 1809 )
- July 23 : William Bridges Adams , British publicist, railroad designer and entrepreneur (* 1797 )
- July 26 : Michele Carafa , Italian composer (* 1787 )
- July 26 : Alexander W. Randall , American politician (* 1819 )
- July 27 : George Walker Crawford , American politician (* 1798 )
- July 28 : Frederik Kaiser , Dutch astronomer (* 1808 )
- July: Carl Ferdinand Appun , German naturalist and traveler (* 1820 )
- August 3 : Karl August Devrient , German theater actor (* 1797 )
- August 5 : Charles Eugène Delaunay , French mathematician and astronomer (* 1816 )
- August 5 : Elias Thomas , American businessman and politician (* 1772 )
- August 8 : Eberhard zu Stolberg-Wernigerode , politician and Prussian state official (* 1810 )
- August 8 : Heinrich Abeken , German theologian (* 1809 )
- August 11 : Lowell Mason , American composer and music teacher (* 1792 )
- August 19 : Eugène Prévost , French composer and conductor (* 1809 )
- August 21 : David Kalisch , German writer (* 1820 )
- August 26 : Johann Christoph Lüders , Görlitz industrial pioneer, local politician and promoter of culture (* 1803 )
- August 30 : Román Antonio Deheza , Argentine general and governor (* 1791 )
- August 30 : Adam Krolczyk , German Protestant missionary in China (* 1826 )
- August 31 : John Neely Johnson , American politician (* 1825 )
- September 2 : Yuri Nikolajewitsch Golitsyn , Russian composer (* 1823 )
- September 2 : Nikolai Frederik Severin Grundtvig , Danish philologist, theologian (* 1783 )
- September 3 : Paul Camille von Denis , French engineer and railway pioneer (* 1796 )
- September 7th : Antoni Stolpe , Polish composer (* 1851 )
- September 8 : Paolo Emiliani Giudici , Italian literary historian and literary scholar (* 1812 )
- September 13 : Ludwig Feuerbach , German philosopher (* 1804 )
- September 18 : Charles XV. , Swedish king (* 1826 )
- September 19 : Joseph Ignatz Peter , Baden civil servant, participant in the Baden Revolution 1848/49 (* 1789 )
- September 20 : James Patton Anderson , American major general (* 1822 )
- September 22 : Garrett Davis , American politician (* 1801 )
- October 1 : Joel Funk Asper , American politician (* 1822 )
- October 2 : Francis Lieber , German-American lawyer, publicist, legal and state philosopher (* 1800 )
- October 6 : George Pollock , British Field Marshal (* 1786 )
- October 10 : William H. Seward , American politician, Secretary of State (* 1801 )
- October 14 : Albrecht of Prussia , Prussian Prince and General (* 1809 )
- October 15 : Handrij Zejler , Sorbian poet and editor (* 1804 )
- October 20 : Friedrich Welwitsch , Austrian African explorer and botanist (* 1806 )
- October 23 : Théophile Gautier , French writer (* 1811 )
- October 25 : William Freame Johnston , American politician (* 1808 )
- October 29th : Pierre Saint-Amant , French chess master (* 1800 )
- November 5 : Adolf Ellissen , German politician, philologist and literary historian (* 1815 )
- November 6 : George Gordon Meade , General of the Union Army in the American Civil War (* 1815 )
- November 8 : Moritz Ludwig Seyffert , German philologist and educator (* 1809 )
- November 19 : Mpande , King of the Zulu (* 1798 )
- November 21 : Torgeir Augundsson , Norwegian composer (* 1801 )
- November 23 : John Bowring , British statesman, traveler and writer (* 1792 )
- November 26th : Charles Spackman Barker , English organ builder (* 1807 )
- November 28 : Ludwig August von Autenrieth , Württemberg lawyer and politician (* 1802 )
- November 29 : Christian Bähr , German classical philologist (* 1798 )
- December 2 : Wincenty Pol , Polish writer, geographer and ethnographer (* 1807 )
- December 7th : Christoph Leonhard Wolbach , first Lord Mayor of Ulm (* 1783 )
- December 8 : Fritz Anneke , German revolutionary and North American officer (* 1818 )
- December 11th : Kamehameha V , King of Hawaii (* 1830 )
- December 22nd : Jakob Becker , German painter, etcher and lithographer (* 1810 )
- December 23 : George Catlin , American painter, author and Indian expert (* 1796 )
- December 24th : William John Macquorn Rankine , British physicist and engineer (* 1820 )
- December 31 : Aleksis Kivi , Finnish national writer (* 1834 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Joseph Alexander Ames , American portrait painter (* 1816 )
- Edwin Atherstone , English poet (* 1788 )