Carl Ferdinand Appun
Live and act
Appun first turned to the study of natural sciences, namely botany , and in 1849, on Alexander von Humboldt's recommendation, Friedrich Wilhelm IV sent him to Venezuela as a natural scientist . After exploring the wilderness of this country for ten years and then spending a year relaxing in the homeland, he went to British Guiana , which he researched as a botanist on behalf of the British government. He then traveled to part of Brazil , the Rio Branco and Rio Negro , spent months with the Indians and sailed the Amazonto Tabatinga on the border with Peru . During a visit to Germany (1868–1871) he published a number of articles in various magazines about his travels. His major work Under the Tropics was extremely popular at the time.
In 1871 he undertook another research trip to Guiana , where he had an accident on a trip into the interior of the country. His last writings were essays on the Indians in British Guiana. Even today, Appun is revered in Venezuela as one of the discoverers of the country.
- About the treatment of seeds and plants from tropical South America, especially Venezuela . Bunzlau 1858
Under the tropics: migrations through Venezuela, the Orinoco, British Guyana and the Amazon River in the years 1849–1868 . Jena: Costenoble, 1871.
- Venezuela . Jena: Costenoble, 1871. Under the tropics; 1.
- British Guyana . Jena: Costenoble, 1871. Under the tropics; 2.
- Eduard Raimund Baierlein and Carl Ferdinand Appun: With the Indians . Berlin; Leipzig: Hillger, 1915. German Youth Library ; No. 104
- Herbert Scurla : In the land of the Caribs. German explorers travel to Guiana in the 19th century. Alexander von Humboldt. Robert Schomburgk. Richard Schomburgk. Carl Ferdinand Appun . Berlin: Verlag der Nation, 1964; 3rd ed. 1968.
- Julius Löwenberg : Appun, Karl Ferdinand . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1875, p. 508 f.
- Author entry and list of the plant names described for Carl Ferdinand Appun at the IPNI
|SURNAME||Appun, Carl Ferdinand|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Appum, Carlos Ferdinando|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German naturalist and traveler|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1820|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bolesławiec|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 1872|
|Place of death||Guiana|