Calendar overview 1843
Treaty of Nanking ends the First Opium War .
Hong Kong becomes a British crown colony .
News of the World
appears for the first time.
|daylight comet of 1843 , a member of the Kreutz group , is discovered.|
|1843 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1291/92 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1835/36 (September 11-12)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1248/49 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1899/1900 (April)|
|Buddhist calendar||2386/87 (southern Buddhism); 2385/86 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1205/06 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4176/77 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1258/59 (turn of the year January 31st / February 1st)|
|Jewish calendar||5603/04 (September 24/25)|
|Coptic calendar||1559/60 (September 11-12)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1258/59 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2153/54 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2154/55 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1899/1900 (April)|
Politics and world events
- February 18 : Georg V , King of Hanover marries Marie , Princess of Saxony-Altenburg in Hanover .
- March 18 : Karl Marx quits his work at the " Rheinische Zeitung " in Cologne as an editor because of political censorship.
- September 3 : Greece is a coup for constitutional monarchy . King Otto I resigns himself to the fact that he will have to share power with the first Prime Minister Andreas Metaxas from September 15th .
- November 8 : The Spanish Cortes declare 13-year-old Queen Isabella II of age .
- March 24th : With the capture of Hyderabad on the Indus , the troops of the British under General Charles James Napier gain control of the area of Sindh .
- June 26 : After the exchange of the instruments of ratification of the Treaty of Nanking in Hong Kong , Hong Kong is proclaimed a British Crown Colony .
- October 8 : Great Britain forces China to adopt the Humen Treaty as a supplement to the Nanking Treaty and allows itself the most-favored nation clause in this unequal treaty .
- Portugal cedes the Comoros to France .
- The Quʿaiti dynasty founds the Sultanate of Shihr and Mukalla .
- May 2 : The first German immigrants arrive in the Chilean port. They mainly settle around Lake Llanquihue .
- June 17 : With the Wairau tumult on New Zealand's South Island , the New Zealand Wars begin between the Māori and the European settlers in New Zealand .
- January 23 : Jacob Christoph Rad receives a five-year Austrian privilege for his invention of the sugar cube press. The sugar cubes come into use.
- March 4 : The first edition of the illustrated weekly newspaper L'Illustration appears in Paris.
- April 18 : With the Railway Act in the Kingdom of Württemberg , the Royal Württemberg State Railways are founded.
- May 2nd : Inauguration of the Paris-Orléans rail link .
- July 1 : In Leipzig, the first edition appearing Illustrirten newspaper as a licensed edition of the 1842 founded in England magazine The Illustrated London News .
- August 1st : Second foundation of the Magdeburg Stock Exchange
- September 2 : The Economist is founded in London .
- October 1 : The British weekly News of the World appears for the first time. It is published in London by John Browne Bell.
science and technology
- February 5 : The Great March Comet of 1843 , a member of the Kreutz group , is discovered. The extremely bright tail star is one of the great comets of the 19th century.
- Johann Friedrich Benzenberg founds a private observatory in Bilk , which he calls Charlottenruhe .
mathematics and physics
- October 16 : On the way, mathematician William Rowan Hamilton comes up with the formula for quaternions (hypercomplex numbers) in a flash of inspiration . He carves them into a stone on Dublin's Broom Bridge .
- Nov. 13 : William Rowan Hamilton puts on a lecture to the Royal Irish Academy in Dublin his theory of quaternions before, the first time a distinction between scalar and vector - forces represents.
- Heinrich Gustav von Magnus introduces his “Physikalisches Colloquium” in Berlin, which from 1845 onwards becomes the “Physical Society” (today the German Physical Society ).
- Michael Faraday performs galvanic nickel plating for the first time .
Teaching and Research
- September 17th : The Universidad de Chile in Santiago de Chile is officially opened.
- The first university in Costa Rica , the Universidad de Santo Tomás , is founded in San José .
- March 25 : The first tunnel to cross a river is opened in London after 18 years of construction. The Thames Tunnel , which was created under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel and his son Isambard Kingdom Brunel , was only used by pedestrians in the early years.
- The Staatsgalerie Stuttgart is opened as the “Museum of Fine Arts”.
Music and theater
- January 2 : The opera The Flying Dutchman by Richard Wagner is in Dresden premiered with moderate success. After just four performances it is removed from the repertoire of the Royal Court Theater . Richard Wagner personally conducts the Royal Saxon Court Orchestra .
- January 3 : The world premiere of the comic opera Don Pasquale by Gaetano Donizetti takes place at the Théâtre-Italien in Paris . The libretto is by Giovanni Domenico Ruffini .
- January 16 : The premiere of the opera Le Part du diable ( The Devil's Part ) by Daniel-François-Esprit Auber takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- April 2nd : The Gewandhauskapellmeister and composer Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy founds the Conservatorium der Musik in Leipzig .
- March 15 : The opera Charles VI. by Jacques Fromental Halévy will be premiered in Paris.
- May 10th : The world premiere of the opera The Sicilian Vespers by Peter Joseph von Lindpaintner takes place in Stuttgart.
- June 5th : The world premiere of the opera Maria di Rohan by Gaetano Donizetti on a libretto by Salvadore Cammarano takes place at the Theater am Kärntnertor in Vienna. Eugenia Tadolini sings the title role , the two protagonist roles Carlo Guasco and Giorgio Ronconi . The work was received favorably by Viennese critics and played across Europe for the next twenty years.
- November 9th : Chéri Maurice opens the Thalia Theater in Hamburg .
- November 13th : The opera Dom Sébastien by Gaetano Donizetti is premiered at the Grand Opéra Paris . The libretto is by Eugène Scribe . Although a star cast can be called up with Rosine Stoltz and Gilbert Duprez , the work received only lukewarm criticism.
- November 17th : At the world premiere of Nur Ruhe! , a farce with singing by Johann Nestroy , there are public protests. After the fourth performance, the piece will be removed from the repertoire.
- December 2nd : The world premiere of the operetta Jag går i kloster ( I'm going to the monastery ) by Franz Berwald takes place at the Royal Theater in Stockholm.
- December 17th : The Vienna Male Choir Association founded by August Schmidt on October 6th makes its first public appearance. Anton M. Storch and Gustav Barth are the first choir masters .
- October 19 : The Paris daily newspaper Le Journal des Débats published the last episode of the serial novel Mystères de Paris ( The Secrets of Paris ), with which the French writer Eugène Sue founded the genre of the feature- length novel .
- November 11th : Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Ugly Duckling is published in Denmark .
- December 19 : The novel A Christmas Carol (German: A Christmas story ) by Charles Dickens is published.
- Fanny Lewald publishes the novel Jenny .
- Paul Rudolf von Bilguer publishes the manual of the game of chess .
- June 17th : The Bunker Hill Monument is inaugurated. It commemorates the battle in 1775 in the American Revolutionary War . The building material for the obelisk was brought in with the specially built Granite Railway .
- July 21 : Antwerp Zoo is founded, the first in Belgium .
- August 15th : The Tivoli in Copenhagen opens.
Society and religion
- March 5 : A health support association for tobacco factory workers in Nuremberg, the origin of Universa Insurance , is founded.
- May 18 : In the so-called "disruption" , a good third of pastors and around half of parishioners leave the Church of Scotland and found the Free Church of Scotland .
- June 19 : Karl Marx marries Jenny von Westphalen in Bad Kreuznach .
- October 13 : The Jewish organization B'nai B'rith , which is committed to promoting tolerance, humanity and welfare, is founded in New York as a secret lodge by twelve Jewish immigrants from Germany. Another aim of B'nai B'rith is the education about Judaism and the education within Judaism.
- February 8th : An earthquake in the Lesser Antilles destroys the city of Pointe-à-Pitre .
- July 8 : The Wanganui earthquake of 1843 is the first officially recorded earthquake in New Zealand . Two people are killed and numerous houses are destroyed.
- January 8 : Frederick George Abberline , British inspector († 1929 )
- January 8 : Karl Eduard Heusner , German Vice Admiral († 1891 )
- January 10 : Carroll Smalley Page , American politician († 1925 )
- January 11 : Adolf Eberle , German painter († 1914 )
- January 11 : Adolf Philippi , German classical philologist and art historian († 1918 )
- January 13 : David Ferrier , British neuroscientist († 1928 )
- January 17 : Anton Thraen , German astronomer († 1902 )
- January 19 : Arnold Bovet , Swiss free church pastor († 1903 )
- January 20 : Giulio Ascoli , Italian mathematician († 1896 )
- January 20 : Pierre Paul Cambon , French Ambassador to Great Britain († 1924 )
- January 21 : Émile Levassor , French automobile pioneer and racing driver († 1897 )
- January 21 : Louis A. Wiltz , American politician († 1881 )
- January 22nd : Friedrich Blass , German philologist († 1907 )
- January 22 : Ludwig Winter , German architect († 1930 )
- January 23 : Bolko von Hochberg , German diplomat, artistic director and composer († 1926 )
- January 24th : Franziska Tiburtius , German doctor and women's rights activist († 1927 )
- January 25 : Hermann Amandus Schwarz , German mathematician († 1921 )
- January 29 : William McKinley , American politician, 25th President of the USA († 1901 )
- January 30th : Peter Adolph Rudolph Ibach , piano maker, entrepreneur and patron († 1892)
- February 1 : Paul Kupelwieser , Austrian industrialist († 1919 )
- February 1 : John Isaac Thornycroft , English engineer († 1928 )
- February 2 : Knute Nelson , American politician († 1923 )
- February 3 : William Cornelius Van Horne , American railroad pioneer († 1915 )
- February 5 : Franklin Taylor , English pianist and music teacher († 1919 )
- February 6 : Georg Arnould , German naval and army painter († 1913 )
- February 6 : Frederic WH Myers , British poet, critic and essayist († 1901 )
- February 6 : Paul Sébillot , French storyteller, painter and writer († 1918 )
- February 9 : Nathan Goff , American politician († 1920 )
- February 9 : William Taylor Thornton , American politician († 1916 )
- February 14 : Louis Diémer , French pianist and composer († 1919 )
- February 18 : Adelina Patti , Spanish soprano († 1919 )
- February 20 : Adrian Emmerich Andresen , German sculptor and porcelain designer († 1902 )
- February 22nd : Alexander Schnütgen , German theologian and art collector († 1918 )
- February 24 : Teófilo Braga , Portuguese writer and statesman († 1924 )
- February 25 : Karl Gussow , German painter († 1907 )
- February 26 : Heinrich Winter , German painter († 1911 )
- March 5 : Eduard Fiechtner , last mayor of Untertürkheim († 1922 )
- March 6 : Tonio Bödiker , first President of the Reich Insurance Office († 1907 )
- March 6 : Arthur Napoleão , Brazilian composer († 1925 )
- March 9 : Willem Rooseboom , Governor General of the Dutch East Indies († 1920 )
- March 12 : Joachim Hinrich Wrage , German landscape painter and graphic artist († 1912 )
- March 14 : Alfred Altherr , Swiss Protestant Reformation clergyman and writer († 1918 )
- March 14 : Léon Gustave Dehon , founder of the Order of the Sacred Heart Priests († 1925 )
- March 15 : Ernst Buss , Swiss Protestant clergyman († 1928 )
- March 23 : Joseph F. Johnston , American politician († 1913 )
- March 24 : Maria Annunziata , Archduchess of Naples-Sicily and Austria-Hungary († 1871 )
- March 24 : James Mount , American politician and the 24th governor of Indiana between 1897 and 1901 († 1901 )
- March 29 : Georg Treu , archaeologist, head of the Albertinum's sculpture collection († 1921 )
- March 29 : Karl Johann Brilmayer , Catholic priest, author and regional historian from Rhineland-Hesse († 1905 )
- March 29 : Paul Ferrier , French librettist and playwright († 1928 )
- March 30th : Hans Hermann Freiherr von Berlepsch , Prussian lawyer, politician and social reformer († 1926 )
- March 31 : Bernhard Förster , German high school teacher, political agitator and husband of Elisabeth Nietzsche († 1889 )
- April 2 : Karl Koester , German pathologist and university professor († 1904 )
- April 3 : Knut Ekvall , Swedish painter († 1912 )
- April 4 : Hans Richter , Austro-Hungarian conductor and honorary citizen of Bayreuth († 1916 )
- April 8 : Asger Hamerik , Danish composer and conductor († 1923 )
- April 11 : Johannes Minckwitz , German chess player and publicist († 1901 )
- April 15 : Henry James , American writer († 1916 )
- April 16 : Louis Döllstädt , Weimar businessman and chairman of the municipal council († 1912 )
- April 17 : Camillo Sitte , Austrian architect and town planner († 1903 )
- April 20 : Friedrich Carl Glaser , German engineer († 1910 )
- April 21 : John Emms , British painter († 1912 )
- April 25 : Alice of Great Britain and Ireland , Grand Duchess of Hesse-Darmstadt († 1878 )
- April 29 : Pedro Américo , Brazilian painter († 1905 )
- April 29 : Leo Arnoldi , German railway civil engineer and entrepreneur († 1898 )
- May 2 : Carl Michael Ziehrer , Austrian composer († 1922 )
- May 2 : Siegmund Riezler , German historical researcher († 1927 )
- May 4 : Eugène Revillout , French Egyptologist († 1913 )
- May 5 : Carl Leonhard Becker , German painter and engraver († 1917 )
- May 8 : Rudolf Mosse , German businessman and publisher († 1920 )
- May 9 : Anton von Werner , German history painter († 1915 )
- May 9 : Hermann Hitzig , Swiss classical philologist († 1918 )
- May 10 : Benito Pérez Galdós , Spanish writer († 1920 )
- May 13 : Giacomo Lepori , Swiss engineer and architect († 1899 )
- May 17 : Otto Intze , German professor and engineer, especially dam builder († 1904 )
- May 20 : Emil Adam , German painter († 1924 )
- May 21 : Charles Albert Gobat , Swiss politician and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate († 1914 )
- May 21 : Louis Renault , French lawyer and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate († 1918 )
- May 23 : Justus Brinckmann , German museum founder († 1915 )
- May 29 : Émile Pessard , French composer († 1917 )
- June 1 : Auguste Wilbrandt-Baudius , German actress († 1937 )
- June 3 : Frederick VIII , Danish King († 1912 )
- June 4 : Charles Conrad Abbott , American archaeologist and naturalist († 1919 )
- June 7 : Alfred Rabuteau , French composer († 1916 )
- June 9 : Wilhelm Dames , German paleontologist and geologist († 1898 )
- June 9 : Bertha von Suttner , Austrian peace activist and Nobel Peace Prize laureate († 1914 )
- June 10 : Charles Lefèbvre , French composer († 1917 )
- June 10 : Heinrich von Herzogenberg , Austrian composer († 1900 )
- June 11 : Francisco Joaquim Ferreira do Amaral , Portuguese military and politician († 1923 )
- June 13 : Adolf Neuendorff , German-American composer, pianist, director and theater manager († 1897 )
- June 15 : Johannes Gallandi , Prussian lieutenant colonel and genealogist († 1917 )
- June 15 : Edvard Grieg , Norwegian composer († 1907 )
- June 15 : Ernst Friedrich Wilhelm Koenigs , Cologne banker († 1904 )
- June 18 : David Popper , Czech cellist and composer († 1913 )
- June 23 : John Gregory Bourke , American ethnologist († 1896 )
- June 23 : Carl Ernst Otto Kuntze , German botanist († 1907 )
- June 24th : Andreas Ascharin , Baltic-Russian chess player, writer, educator and translator († 1896 )
- June 29 : Heinrich Büssing , German designer and the founder of Büssing AG († 1929 )
- June 30 : Herbert Stewart , British major general († 1885 )
- June 30 : Ernest Satow , British diplomat and Japanologist († 1929 )
- June 30 : Karolina Utriainen , Finnish lay preacher († 1929 )
- July 5 : Anton Ausserer , Austrian naturalist and arachnologist († 1889 )
- July 6 : Ludwig Beissner , German botanist († 1927 )
- July 7th : Camillo Golgi , Italian doctor and physiologist († 1926 )
- July 7 : James E. Campbell , American politician († 1924 )
- July 9 : Ludwig Brunow , German sculptor († 1913 )
- July 14 : Valentine Ball , Irish geologist, zoologist and museum director († 1895 )
- July 17 : Julio Argentino Roca , President of Argentina († 1914 )
- July 24 : William de Wiveleslie Abney , British chemist and photographer († 1920 )
- July 29 : Johannes Schmidt , German linguist († 1901 )
- July 29th : Oskar Rassau , German sculptor († 1912 )
- July 29 : Jasper Bisbee , American old-time musician († 1935 )
- July 30 : Wilhelm Elfe , city councilor, honorary citizen of Wittenberg († 1931 )
- July 31 : Friedrich Robert Helmert , German geodesist and mathematician († 1917 )
- August 1st : Emil Schallopp , German chess master († 1919 )
- August 1 : Robert Todd Lincoln , American politician († 1926 )
- August 4 : Leo Gans , German chemist and honorary citizen of Frankfurt am Main († 1935 )
- August 8 : Gustav Oswald Ahnert , German lawyer and politician († 1920 )
- August 11 : Louis Gathmann , engineer and inventor († 1917 )
- August 12 : Colmar Freiherr von der Goltz , Prussian field marshal and military writer († 1916 )
- August 17 : Mariano Rampolla del Tindaro , Italian Cardinal Secretary of State († 1913 )
- August 19 : Cyrus I. Scofield , American lawyer and theologian († 1921 )
- August 20 : Nicolò Marini , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1923 )
- August 24 : Ernst Wülcker , German Germanist, historian and archivist († 1895 )
- August 27 : Wilhelm Wisser , high school professor and dialect researcher († 1935 )
- August 29 : Alfred-Pierre Joseph Agache , French painter († 1915 )
- August 31 : Georg von Hertling , German politician († 1919 )
- September 3 : Jacob Lindboe , Norwegian lawyer and politician († 1902)
- September 4 : Rafael Ildefonso Arté , Spanish music teacher († 1877 )
- September 4 : Ján Levoslav Bella , Slovak composer († 1936 )
- September 5 : Giuseppina Gabriella Bonino , Blessed, Italian nun and founder of the order († 1906 )
- September 5 : Anselm Schott , German Benedictine († 1896 )
- September 7th : Otto von Diederichs , German admiral († 1918 )
- September 8 : Dmitri Nikolajewitsch Anutschin , Russian geographer, ethnologist and anthropologist († 1923 )
- September 9 : Alejandro Ferrant y Fischermans , Spanish painter († 1917 )
- September 9 : Oscar Montelius , Swedish archivist and archaeologist († 1921 )
- September 9 : Romain-Octave Pelletier , Canadian organist and composer († 1927 )
- September 11 : Adolf Wach , German legal scholar († 1926 )
- September 11 : Julius Krautz , German executioner († 1921 )
- September 21 : Adolf Römer , German classical philologist († 1913 )
- September 24 : Berthold Welte , German manufacturer and businessman († 1918 )
- September 24th : Martin von Nathusius , German university professor and reform theologian († 1906 )
- September 26 : Joseph Furphy , Australian writer († 1912 )
- September 29 : Mikhail Skobelew , Russian general († 1882 )
- September 30th : Mathilde in Bavaria , German noblewoman from the House of Wittelsbach († 1925 )
- October 1 : Karl Nikolai Jensen Börgen , German astronomer († 1909 )
- October 3 : Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Dietz , German publisher and social democrat († 1922 )
- October 9 : Christian Christiansen , Danish physicist († 1917 )
- October 13 : Otto Lueger , German engineer, editor of the Lexicon of All Technology († 1911 )
- October 13 : Friedrich Matz the Elder , German archaeologist († 1874 )
- October 15 : Herbert W. Ladd , American politician († 1913 )
- October 16 : Johann Friedrich Ahlfeld , German gynecologist († 1929 )
- November 2 : Mark Matwejewitsch Antokolski , Russian sculptor († 1902 )
- November 6 : Job Cooper , American politician († 1899 )
- November 8 : Moritz Pasch , German mathematician († 1930 )
- November 10 : Max Honsell , German hydraulic engineer and professor († 1910 )
- November 14 : Theodor Wilhelm Engelmann , German physiologist, biologist and zoologist († 1909 )
- November 15 : Joseph König , German chemist († 1930 )
- November 19 : Richard Avenarius , German philosopher and representative of empiricist criticism († 1896 )
- November 23 : Louis Eysen , German painter († 1899 )
- November 23 : Henry C. Payne , American politician († 1904 )
- November 23 : Joseph Sucher , composer and conductor († 1908 )
- November 24th : Eugen von Zimmerer , German governor of Cameroon († 1918 )
- November 26 : Karl Arnau , Austrian actor († 1910 )
- November 28 : Émile Bernard , French organist and composer († 1902 )
- November 28 : Manuel Gregorio Tavárez , Puerto Rican composer, pianist and music teacher († 1883 )
- December 3 : William Gatacre , British general († 1906 )
- December 8 : Teodoro Anastasia , Swiss engineer and architect († 1892 )
- December 9 : Gottfried Merzbacher , German geographer, alpinist and explorer († 1926 )
- December 11 : Robert Koch , German physician and microbiologist († 1910 )
- December 12 : William P. Dillingham , American politician († 1923 )
- December 15 : Heinrich Abel , Jesuit († 1926 )
- December 15 : Heinrich Schaumberger , German poet and narrator († 1874 )
- December 16 : Joseph V. Quarles , American politician († 1911 )
- December 18 : Hermann von Maltzan , German naturalist and writer († 1891 )
- December 19 : Mauro Fernández Acuña , Costa Rican Minister for Public Education and Bank Director († 1905 )
- December 19 : Albert Steck , co-founder of the Swiss Social Democratic Party († 1899 )
- December 20 : Arnold Niggli , Swiss music historian and critic († 1927 )
- December 21 : Charles Phelps Taft , American politician († 1929 )
- December 28 : Wilhelm Clemm , German classical philologist († 1883 )
- December 29 : Carmen Sylva , Romanian queen and writer († 1916 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Angelo Agostini , Brazilian cartoonist and journalist († 1910 )
- Nataniel Aguirre , Bolivian poet, dramaturge, lawyer, politician and diplomat († 1888 )
- Max Arendt , German politician († 1913 )
- Takvor Nalyan , Armenian actor, teacher, translator and author († around 1877 )
- Fazlollah Nuri , Shiite clergyman, († 1909 )
- Eugen Adalbert Woycke , German pianist, composer and music teacher († after 1900)
First half of the year
- January 4th : Stevens Mason , American politician (* 1811 )
- January 9 : William Hedley , English mine manager (* 1779 )
- January 10 : Franz Seraphicus Schmid , Roman Catholic clergyman and author (* 1764 )
- January 11 : Francis Scott Key , American lawyer and amateur poet (* 1779 )
- January 12 : Ernst Friedrich Ferdinand Robert , German painter and university professor (* 1763 )
- January 23 : Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué , German romantic poet (* 1777 )
- January 29 : Wilhelm Ludwig Abeken , German classical archaeologist (* 1813 )
- January 30th : Friedrich von Adelung , German lawyer and philosopher (* 1768 )
- February 13 : Nathaniel Chipman , American politician (* 1752 )
- February 18 : Karl Rikli , Swiss Protestant clergyman (* 1791 )
- February 26 : Tommaso Rima , Swiss military doctor (* 1775 )
- March 21 : Robert Southey , English poet, historian and critic (* 1774 )
- March 27 : Samuel McRoberts , American politician (* 1799 )
- March 28 : Friedrich Wilhelm Karl von Aderkas , German officer and professor (* 1767 )
- March 31 : Thomas Fowler , British mathematician and inventor (* 1777 )
- March 31 : George A. Waggaman , American politician (* 1782 )
- April 1 : John Armstrong junior , American soldier and politician (* 1758 )
- April 3 : Matthias Joseph Anker , Austrian geologist (* 1772 )
- April 11th : Gavrila Ratschinski , Russian composer (* 1777 )
- April 14 : Joseph Lanner , Austrian composer and violinist (* 1801 )
- April 21 : Augustus Frederick , British Prince (* 1773 )
- April 25 : Eduard August Feuerbach , German legal scholar (* 1803 )
- April 26 : Kagawa Kageki , Japanese tanka poet (* 1768 )
- April 25 : John McCracken Robinson , American politician (* 1794 )
- April 29 : Caroline Tischbein , German draftsman (* 1783 )
- May 3 : Thomas Hislop, 1st Baronet , British General and Deputy Governor of Trinidad (* 1762 )
- May 13 : Agnes Franz , German writer (* 1794 )
- May 18 : Friedrich Christoph Perthes , German bookseller and publisher (* 1772 )
- May 21 : Gustav Asverus , German lawyer (* 1798 )
- June 7th : Friedrich Hölderlin , German poet (* 1770 )
- June 11 : Michael Leopold Enk von der Burg , Austrian Benedictine monk, writer and literary theorist (* 1788 )
- June 20 : Hugh S. Legaré , American politician (* 1797 )
- June 24th : Johann Friedrich Kind , German writer (* 1768 )
Second half of the year
- July 2nd : Samuel Hahnemann , German doctor (founder of homeopathy ) (* 1755 )
- July 7th : Josef Annegarn , German theologian, educator and professor (* 1794 )
- July 7th : Ludwig Philipp von Bombelles , Austrian diplomat (* 1780 )
- July 7th : John Holmes , American politician (* 1773 )
- July 9 : Washington Allston , American painter and poet (born 1779 )
- July 13 : John Rowan , American politician (* 1773 )
- July 23 : Antonín Mánes , Czech painter and draftsman of Romanticism (* 1784 )
- July 25 : Karl Friedrich von Rumohr , German art historian, writer and gastrosoph (* 1785 )
- August 9th : Maria Clementine Martin , nun, founder of the nun Melissengeist (* 1775 )
- August 10 : Jakob Friedrich Fries , German philosopher (* 1773 )
- August 12 : Franz-Ludwig Mersy , German theologian (* 1785 )
- August 22 : Wilhelm Arnold Günther , German auxiliary bishop (* 1763 )
- September 4 : Hermann Diedrich Piepenstock , German merchant and manufacturer (* 1782 )
- September 6 : Jean-François Vuarin , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman (* 1769 )
- September 9 : Günther von Berg , German politician and writer (* 1765 )
- September 15 : Karl von Grolman , Prussian General and Chief of the General Staff (* 1777 )
- September 19 : Gaspard Gustave de Coriolis , French mathematician (* 1792 )
- September 21 : José Antonio Picasarri , Argentine clergyman and musician (* 1769 )
- September 27th : Burkhard Wilhelm Seiler , German medic (* 1779 )
- September 28 : Reinhold Bernhard Jachmann , German theologian and pedagogue (* 1767 )
- October 3 : Lewis F. Linn , American politician (* 1795 )
- October 6 : Carl Amon , Austrian painter (* 1798 )
- October 6 : Archibald Campbell , British general (* 1769 )
- October 14 : Maximilian Emanuel von Lerchenfeld , German politician (* 1778 )
- October 19 : Louis-Barthélémy Pradher , French pianist, composer and music teacher (* 1782 )
- October 24th : Roman Sołtyk , Polish general (* 1791 )
- November 10 : John Trumbull , American artist (* 1756 )
- November 18 : Armand Beauvais , American politician (* 1783 )
- December 12th : Wilhelm I , first Dutch king (* 1772 )
- December 14th : John Claudius Loudon , Scottish botanist and landscape architect (* 1783 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Abdallah II. Ibn Thunayyan ibn Ibrahim Al Saud , Imam of the Wahhabis
- Johanna Eleonore Antoni , German writer (* 1762 )
- John Roger Arnold , English watchmaker (* 1769 )
- Kazim-i-Rashti , leader of Sheikhism (* 1793 )