Calendar overview 1885
|battle of Abu Klea in Sudan , a British army defeats the supporters of Mahdi Muhammad Ahmad .|
|Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach designed the riding car , a forerunner of the motorcycle .||Grover Cleveland becomes President of the United States .|
|Indian National Congress is founded.|
|1885 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1333/34 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1877/78 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||41/42 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1290/91 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2428/29 (southern Buddhism); 2427/28 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1247/48 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4218/19 (October 2-3)|
|Iranian calendar||1263/64 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1302/03 (October 9/10)|
Meiji 18 (
明治 18 年);
|Jewish calendar||5645/46 (9/10 September)|
|Coptic calendar||1601/02 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1300/01 (March 1st)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2195/96 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2196/97 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1941/42 (April)|
Politics and world events
- January 17 : A British army defeats the supporters of Mahdi Muhammad Ahmad in the battle of Abu Klea in Sudan .
- January 26 : The Mahdists capture the capital Khartoum , killing Governor Gordon Pasha . This ends the Turkish-Egyptian rule in Sudan .
- February 26th : In Berlin the Congo Act is passed by the Congo Conference which is ending .
- February 27 : The territorial claims of the Society for German Colonization (GfdK) in today's Tanzania , later German East Africa , are placed under the protection of the German Empire .
- March 11 : Gustav Nachtigal , Reich Commissioner for West Africa, places the Mahinland in what will later become Nigeria under German protection.
- June 20 : Emil Nagel signs a treaty with the rulers of Pondoland in South Africa to make it a German colony - the attempt fails because of British colonization efforts.
- September 30th : Bechuanaland on what is now Botswana becomes a British protectorate , to which Stellaland is incorporated.
- March 4 : Inauguration of Grover Cleveland as 22nd US President. He replaces Chester A. Arthur .
- The Northwest Rebellion takes place in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan . She will be put down by July 2nd .
- May 17 : Kaiser Wilhelm I issues a letter of protection to the German New Guinea Company , thereby transferring sovereignty over Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land in northeast New Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago . The German New Guinea colony emerges from this later .
- October 15 : The Marshall Islands receive the status of a German protected area .
- October 22nd : In the dispute between Germany and Spain over sovereignty over the Carolines , Pope Leo XIII , who is mutually acting as arbitrator, decides . in favor of Spain.
- November 5th : The town of Finschhafen in New Guinea is founded, the administrative center of the German colony Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land .
- January 1 : Karl Schenk becomes Federal President of Switzerland for the fifth time .
- March 11th : In Austria-Hungary legal work regulations are enacted. The maximum working time is set at eleven hours. Night work for women and young people and child labor are prohibited .
- June: In the cisleithan half of Austria-Hungary the Reichrat elections take place.
- September 17th : The Ottoman Governor General of Eastern Rumelia , Gavril Pasha , is overthrown in an officers coup. The country declares immediate union with the Principality of Bulgaria under Prince Alexander von Battenberg .
- October 21 : A pistol assassination attempt on Danish Prime Minister Jacob Brønnum Scavenius Estrup fails in Copenhagen. The first bullet fired by Julius Rasmussen ricochets off a button, the second shot misses the politician.
- November 13 : The Serbian King Milan Obrenovic told the Bulgarian Principality because of its union with Eastern Rumelia the war . He can rely on the tolerance of the armed conflict by Austria-Hungary .
- November 19 : The Battle of Slivnitsa in the Serbian-Bulgarian War ends with a victory for the Bulgarians .
- November 25th : After the death of the Spanish King Alfonso XII. changes the reign to his pregnant wife Maria Christina of Austria . The Queen remains in office until their son Alfonso can take over power in 1902 .
- April 4th : Despite the ceasefire agreement in the Sino-French War , fighting broke out again on April 14th between the two armies.
- April 18 : China and Japan sign the Treaty of Tientsin .
- November 16 : In the Third Anglo-Burmese War , the British conquer the city of Mandalay and take King Thibaw prisoner.
- December 22 : Itō Hirobumi , a samurai , becomes Japan's first prime minister .
- December 28 : The founding meeting of the Indian Congress Party takes place in Bombay .
- In India , the Indian National Congress in Pune is jointly founded by Hindus and Muslims.
- 12th World Exhibition in Antwerp , Belgium
- January 15 : The Imperial Patent Office publishes the retrospective patent granted to Paul Nipkow on the Nipkow disc named after the inventor . The emerging mechanical television is based on it .
- January 20 : The US citizen LaMarcus Adna Thompson has the first roller coaster realized .
- January 30th : The chain-driven low wheel from the Englishman John Kemp Starley is patented.
- April 3 : Gottlieb Daimler receives a patent for the four-stroke engine he and co-inventor Wilhelm Maybach christened “ Grandfather Clock ” .
- May 5 : George Eastman receives a US patent for the invention of roll film .
- August 29 : Gottlieb Daimler receives a patent for his “riding car”, the prototype for the motorcycle . He developed the vehicle with side support wheels together with Wilhelm Maybach .
- September 23 : The Austrian chemist Carl Auer von Welsbach patents the mantle in Germany under the name Auer-mantle .
- February 26 : The future vehicle manufacturer Wanderer is founded as Chemnitz Velociped-Depôt Winklhofer & Jaenicke .
- March 3 : American Telephone & Telegraph Corporation (AT&T) is founded.
- April 23 : Honeywell is founded by Albert Butz, son of Swiss immigrants, as Butz Thermo-Electric Regulator Co. in Minneapolis.
- August 15 : The Centralstation Markgrafenstrasse , the first thermal power station in Germany to supply electricity to a distribution network and sell it to several customers, goes into operation.
- September 4 : A cafeteria opens in New York City as the world's first self-service restaurant.
- Albert Boehringer founds a chemical factory in Ingelheim , thereby laying the foundation stone for the Boehringer Ingelheim company .
- Pastor Friedrich von Bodelschwingh founds the first building society in Germany in Bielefeld .
- January 7th : The book printers are the first professional group to found a professional association , which in 1949 merges into the professional association for printing and paper processing .
- February 7th : The Geestemünder fish wholesaler Friedrich Busse puts the first German fish steamer Sagitta into service in his company , which will soon be equipped as a trawler . The German deep-sea fishing begins with its catch .
- before Easter: court blacksmith Peter Carl Fabergé produces on behalf of the Russian Emperor Alexander III. for his wife Maria Feodorovna the first Fabergé egg . The hens egg looks with its white enamel egg shell a real egg very similar. The first surprise is the gold yolk inside, which in turn can be opened and reveals a hen, made of four-color gold, decorated with ruby eyes. Inside is a small tsar's crown with two ruby eggs hanging from it.
- July 9 : The 1660 meter long horse-drawn tram, later known as the Spiekeroog Island Railway, opens on the East Frisian island of Spiekeroog .
- October 1st : The Accident Insurance Act comes into force in Germany. The employers' liability insurance associations begin their work on this basis.
science and technology
Biology and medicine
- January 4th : In the USA , Doctor William W. Grant performs the first appendix operation on the sick Mary Gartside.
- July 6th : Louis Pasteur administered the first vaccinations against rabies . The vaccination saves the life of Joseph Meister , who was bitten by a rabid dog .
- October 14 : Johannes Ranke founds the Prehistoric Collection (today: State Archaeological Collection ) in Munich .
- The German-Austrian pediatrician and bacteriologist Theodor Escherich discovered the intestinal bacterium Escherichia coli . At first he called it "Bacterium coli commune", in 1919 it was named Escherichia coli in his honor .
Chemistry and physics
- Ernst Mach makes sound waves visible.
- Johann Jakob Balmer publishes his empirical formula for the possible frequencies of the hydrogen spectrum (in: Annalen der Physik und Chemie NF 25 (1885), 80–87 ), (see Balmer series ).
Meteorology and astronomy
- February 1 : The Meteorological Observatory on Great Blue Hill near Boston, today the oldest weather station in the USA, begins operations.
- August 19 : The Irish Amateur astronomer Isaac Ward discovered in the Andromeda galaxy as S Andromedae called Supernova ; one day later, Ernst Hartwig will also observe them at the Estonian Tartu Observatoorium .
- November 7 : In Craigellachie, British Columbia , construction of Canada's first Pacific railway line is completed with the grand opening.
- November 10 : First ride of a motorcycle , built by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach
- The Stoney Creek Bridge over the Rogers Pass in the Selkirk Mountains in British Columbia , the highest at this time wooden bridge in the world, will be opened. It was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway as part of the construction of a Canadian transcontinental link .
- January 15th : The American Wilson Bentley takes the first photograph of a snowflake .
- October 13 : The Georgia Institute of Technology is founded in Atlanta .
- The Home Insurance Building , one of the first “skyscrapers” in the world, is completed in Chicago . The building was designed by William Le Baron Jenney .
- Hiram Maxim invents the machine gun .
- Invention of the cross- rolling process by Reinhard and Max Mannesmann
- February 21 : US President Chester A. Arthur inaugurates the Washington Monument designed by Robert Mills . The erection of the obelisk took several decades due to various difficulties.
- April / May: Vincent van Gogh paints in Nuenen with oil on canvas The Potato Eaters . It is the artist's first major work on which he worked for several months. The subject exists in two versions.
- The painting Swimming from 1885 is often seen as evidence of the homosexuality of the artist Thomas Eakins .
- February 18 : Mark Twain's novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is now published in the USA after its publication in Great Britain and Canada.
- Shortly after the death of the author Emmy von Rhoden on April 7, her novel The Defiant Head was published by the Verlag Weise .
- September: The first issue of the Russian monthly magazine Severny Westnik appears.
- The novel Germinal , the main work of Émile Zola's twenty-volume work The Life of the Rougon-Macquar Family , appears.
- King Solomon's Treasury , also King Solomon's Diamonds (Originally King Solomon's Mines) by H. Rider Haggard appears.
Music and theater
- March 14 : The world premiere of the opera István király ( King Stephen ) by Ferenc Erkel takes place in Budapest.
- March 28 : The world premiere of the operetta Don Cesar by Rudolf Dellinger takes place at the Carl-Schultze-Theater in Hamburg.
- April 5 : The opera Noé by Georges Bizet is premiered ten years after the composer's death in Karlsruhe. With this opera, Bizet completed an unfinished work by his father-in-law Jacques Fromental Halévy . The libretto is by Jules-Henri Vernoy de Saint-Georges .
- October 24th : The operetta The Gypsy Baron with music by Johann Strauss and based on the libretto by Ignaz Schnitzer based on the novella Sáffi by Mór Jókai is premiered with great success in the Theater an der Wien . The conductor is the composer; the premiere cast consists of Joseph Josephi , Alexander Girardi and Ottilie Collin , among others .
- October 25th : The 4th Symphony in E minor op. 98 by Johannes Brahms is premiered with the Meiningen court orchestra in Meiningen.
- November 30th : The world premiere of the opera Le Cid by Jules Massenet takes place at the Grand Opéra Paris .
- October 5th : Arnold Bovet founds the first Blue Cross Association in Germany in Hagen in Westphalia .
- March 25th : The Italian priest Filippo Smaldone founds the Order of the Salesian Sisters of the Sacred Heart . It is dedicated to the education, care and pastoral care of the deaf .
- December 22nd : Pope Leo XIII. publishes the encyclical Quod auctoritate .
- Philip III Krementz becomes Archbishop of Cologne .
- April 28 : The international Buddhist flag is hoisted for the first time on the occasion of Vesakh Day in Colombo , Ceylon.
nature and environment
- November 25 : In the province of Alberta , Banff National Park is the first such protected area in Canada .
- Fistball will also be demonstrated for the first time at the German Gymnastics Festival in Dresden .
- The Football Association allows professionals in football for the first time
Historical maps and views
- January 1 : Franz Arnholdt , German trade unionist, publisher and local politician († 1951 )
- January 2 : Anna Hübler , German figure skater († 1976 )
- January 2 : Eddy de Neve , Dutch football player († 1943 )
- January 3 : Ernest Haley , British athlete († 1975 )
- January 5 : Fannie Tremblay , Canadian actress and comedian († 1970 )
- 7 January : Łucjan Kamieński , Polish composer and musicologist († 1964 )
- January 8 : John Curtin , Australian politician and Prime Minister († 1945 )
- January 8 : Boris Hambourg , Russian cellist († 1954 )
- January 9 : Otto Hirsch , German lawyer and politician († 1941 )
- January 11 : Emil Abegg , Swiss Indologist († 1962 )
- January 11 : Alice Paul , American feminist († 1977 )
- January 12 : Thomas Ashe , Irish independence fighter († 1917 )
- January 12 : Harry Benjamin , American psychologist († 1986 )
- January 13 : Roger Boucher , French organist and composer († 1918 )
- January 15 : Lorenz Böhler , Austrian surgeon († 1973 )
- January 16 : Władysław Raczkiewicz , Polish civil servant and politician († 1947 )
- January 17 : Willy Anker , German politician and resistance fighter († 1960 )
- January 17 : Nikolaus von Falkenhorst , German general in World War II († 1968 )
- January 17th : Emmy Hennings , German writer, cabaret artist and life artist († 1948 )
- January 19 : James Coats Auchincloss , American politician († 1976 )
- January 19 : Tadeusz Nalepiński , Polish poet and writer († 1918 )
- January 21 : Duncan Grant , Scottish painter († 1978 )
- January 21 : André Lagache , French racing car driver and first winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans 1923 († 1938 )
- January 21 : Umberto Nobile , Italian airship pioneer († 1978 )
- January 22nd : Karl Grune , Austrian film director († 1962 )
- January 22nd : Eugène Christophe , French cyclist († 1970 )
- January 23 : Bolesław Wallek-Walewski , Polish composer, conductor and music teacher († 1944 )
- January 24th : Christian Ingerslev Baastrup , Danish radiologist († 1950 )
- January 25 : Kitahara Hakushū , Japanese writer († 1942 )
- January 26 : Hellmuth von Rabenau , German naval officer and sailing school director († 1970 )
- January 27 : Jerome David Kern , American composer († 1945 )
- January 27 : Eduard Künneke , German operetta composer († 1953 )
- January 28 : Fritz Linnert , German politician († 1949 )
- January 30th : Iuliu Hossu , Romanian clergyman, Bishop of Fagaras and Cardinal († 1970 )
- January 30 : Heribert Jone , German Catholic moral theologian and canon lawyer († 1967 )
- January 31 : Heinrich Quiring , German geologist and paleontologist († 1964 )
- February 1 : Camille Chautemps , French politician († 1963 )
- February 2 : Mikhail Frunze , Soviet general during the Russian Civil War († 1925 )
- February 2 : Gostan Zarian , Armenian writer, poet and painter († 1969 )
- February 6 : Jo Eshuijs , Dutch football player († 1979 )
- February 7th : Michael Gamper , Italian (South Tyrolean) priest and publicist († 1956 )
- February 7th : Harry Sinclair Lewis , American writer († 1951 )
- February 7th : Hugo Sperrle , German Field Marshal General in the Third Reich († 1953 )
- February 8 : Aarne Michaël Tallgren , Finnish prehistorian († 1945 )
- February 9 : Alban Berg , Austrian composer († 1935 )
- February 9 : Anita Rée , German painter († 1933 )
- February 10 : Salvatore Aurigemma , Italian archaeologist († 1964 )
- February 11 : Sir Sidney Solomon Abrahams , British long jumper and sprinter († 1957 )
- February 12 : Dmitri Michejewitsch Melkich , Russian composer († 1943 )
- February 12 : Julius Streicher , Nazi politician and editor of the Stürmer († 1946 )
- February 17 : Ernst Altstaedt , German internist († 1953 )
- February 17 : Ignacio Antinori , Italian-American mobster († 1940 )
- February 17 : Romano Guardini , Italian philosopher and Catholic theologian († 1968 )
- February 20 : Zdeňka Baldová , Czech actress († 1958 )
- February 21 : Sacha Guitry , French actor, film director and playwright († 1957 )
- February 21 : Georg Lippold , German archaeologist († 1954 )
- February 24 : Chester W. Nimitz , Fleet Admiral of the US Navy († 1966 )
- February 24 : Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz , Polish painter and writer († 1939 )
- February 25 : Alice von Battenberg , English noblewoman, mother-in-law of Queen Elisabeth († 1969 )
- February 26 : Aleksandras Stulginskis , President of Lithuania († 1969 )
- March 1 : Lionel Atwill , American film and stage actor († 1946 )
- March 1 : Jürgen Fehling , German theater director and actor († 1968 )
- March 2 : Otto Lindpaintner , German aviation pioneer († 1976 )
- March 6 : Rosario Bourdon , Canadian cellist, conductor, composer and arranger († 1961 )
- March 6 : Ring Lardner , American sports reporter and writer († 1933 )
- March 7 : Valerian Bierdiajew , Polish composer, conductor and music teacher († 1956 )
- March 7 : Stith Thompson , American folklorist († 1976 )
- March 10 : Pierre-Jules Boulanger , French manager († 1950 )
- March 10 : Jēkabs Mediņš , Latvian composer († 1971 )
- March 11th : Malcolm Campbell , English racing athlete and journalist († 1948 )
- March 11 : Hans Leibelt , German actor († 1974 )
- March 12 : Erwin Haller , Swiss Germanist († 1971 )
- March 16 : Giacomo Benvenuti , Italian musicologist and editor, composer and organist († 1943 )
- March 16 : Otto-Wilhelm Förster , German general († 1966 )
- March 22 : Wilhelm Beyer , German politician († 1945 )
- March 22nd : Adriano Lualdi , Italian composer, conductor, music teacher and critic († 1971 )
- March 22 : Eugen Fürst zu Oettingen-Wallerstein , German politician († 1969 )
- March 23 : Platt Adams , American athlete and Olympic champion († 1961 )
- March 25 : Siegfried Handloser , German military, head of the Wehrmacht medical services († 1954 )
- March 26th : Martha Angerstein , German actress
- March 26 : Robert Blackburn , British aviation pioneer and aircraft designer († 1955 )
- March 27 : Heinrich Mohn , German publisher († 1955 )
- March 28 : Marc Delmas , French composer († 1931 )
- March 29 : Martha Arendsee , German politician and women's rights activist († 1953 )
- March 29 : Margot Claussen , German painter († 1968 )
- March 31 : Karl Fischer von Treuenfeld , German military († 1946 )
- March 31 : Elfriede Heisler , German actress († 1919 )
- April 1 : Wallace Beery , American actor († 1949 )
- April 1 : Clementine Churchill , wife of Winston Churchill († 1977 )
- April 3 : Murray Carleton , American golfer († 1959 )
- April 3 : Allan Dwan , American director, producer, screenwriter († 1981 )
- April 3 : Bud Fisher , American cartoonist and comic artist († 1954 )
- April 4 : Hanns Klemm , German engineer and entrepreneur († 1961 )
- April 5 : Dimitrie Cuclin , Romanian composer († 1978 )
- April 6 : Jules Goux , French racing driver († 1965 )
- April 6 : Carlos Salzédo , French-American harpist and composer († 1961 )
- April 7 : Walther Schwieger , German naval officer († 1917 )
- April 8 : Alexander Rustow , German philosopher, social scientist and economist († 1963 )
- April 9 : Gerhard Graf von Kanitz , German politician († 1949 )
- April 9 : Leo Schubert , German politician († 1968 )
- April 12 : Ernst Beutler , German literary historian and Goethe researcher († 1960 )
- April 12 : Robert Delaunay , French painter († 1941 )
- April 12 : Hermann Hoth , officer in the Reichswehr and the Wehrmacht († 1971 )
- April 12 : Fritz Schuler , German politician († 1955 )
- April 12 : Julio Ortíz de Zárate , Chilean painter and sculptor († 1946 )
- April 13 : Georg Lukács , Hungarian philosopher, literary scholar and critic († 1971 )
- April 14 : Adolf Uzarski , German writer, painter and graphic artist († 1970 )
- April 15 : Tadeusz Kutrzeba , Polish general († 1947 )
- April 16 : Frederick Chubb , Canadian organist, choir director, music teacher and composer († 1966 )
- April 16 : Leó Weiner , Hungarian composer († 1960 )
- April 17th : Karen Blixen , Danish writer († 1962 )
- April 17 : Eugène Minkowski , Russian-French psychiatrist († 1972 )
- April 17 : Toine van Renterghem , Dutch football player († 1967 )
- April 18 : Claus Bergen , German marine painter († 1964 )
- April 18 : Hermann Müller , German athlete († 1947 )
- April 21 : Shiga Mitsuko , Japanese writer († 1976 )
- April 22nd : Isidor Alfred Amreich , Austrian gynecologist († 1972 )
- April 26th : Marcello Bertinetti , Italian fencer and two-time Olympic champion as well as soccer player and coach († 1967 )
- April 26 : Carl Einstein , German art historian and writer († 1940 )
- April 26 : Iida Dakotsu , Japanese poet († 1962 )
- April 27 : Rosa Aschenbrenner , German politician († 1967 )
- April 27 : Arthur Zarden , German finance expert and State Secretary for Finance in the Weimar Republic († 1944 )
- April 29 : Egon Erwin Kisch , Czech journalist and reporter († 1948 )
- April 29 : Wallingford Riegger , American composer († 1961 )
- April 30th : Harold Craxton , English pianist, composer and music teacher († 1971 )
- April 30 : Hans Lembke , German painter and drawing teacher († 1959 )
- May 1st : Erich Rahn , pioneer of Jiu-Jitsu and Judo sports in Germany († 1973 )
- May 3 : Johnny Aitken , American racing car driver († 1918 )
- May 3 : Max Volmer , German chemist († 1965 )
- May 4 : Paul Barnickel , German lawyer († 1966 )
- May 5 : Agustín Barrios Mangoré , Paraguayan guitarist and composer († 1944 )
- May 6 : Henri Willem Hoesen , Dutch doctor († 1970 )
- May 9 : Wilhelmine Lübke , German politician, chairwoman of the maternal convalescence organization († 1981 )
- May 10 : Fritz von Unruh , German writer and poet († 1970 )
- May 11 : Korbinian Aigner , German Catholic priest and pomologist († 1966 )
- May 11 : Joe King Oliver , American cornet player († 1938 )
- May 12 : Charles Dullin , French actor, director and theater manager († 1949 )
- May 12 : Mushanokōji Saneatsu , Japanese writer and painter († 1976 )
- May 14 : Hermann Aichinger , Austrian architect († 1962 )
- May 14 : Otto Klemperer , German conductor and composer († 1973 )
- May 15 : Theodor Goerlitz , German local politician and historian († 1949 )
- May 18 : Kurt Löwenstein , German politician († 1939 )
- May 19 : Paul Bildt , German actor († 1957 )
- May 19 : Bjørn Rasmussen , Danish football player († 1962 )
- May 20 : Alexander Löhr , German Colonel General († 1947 )
- May 21 : Otto Antonius , Austrian zoologist and paleontologist († 1945 )
- May 21 : Kurt Beitzen , German naval officer († 1918 )
- May 22 : Julio Fonseca , Costa Rican composer († 1950 )
- May 22 : Hans Lukaschek , German politician († 1960 )
- May 22 : Giacomo Matteotti , Italian politician († 1924 )
- May 22 : Naka Kansuke , Japanese writer († 1965 )
- May 24th : Adam Abt , German classical philologist († 1918 )
- May 25 : Isaac Anken , Swiss politician († 1945 )
- May 26 : Josef Achmann , German painter and graphic artist († 1958 )
- May 26 : Gaston Baty , French director, playwright and theater director († 1952 )
- May 28 : Hellmuth Felmy , German general in World War II († 1965 )
- May 28 : Piet Zwart , Dutch typographer, photographer, designer, interior designer and teacher († 1977 )
- May 29 : Erwin Freundlich , German astrophysicist († 1964 )
- May 30 : Arthur Edward Andersen , American entrepreneur († 1947 )
- May 31 : Alois Hudal , Austrian bishop and escape helper for various Nazi criminals († 1963 )
- May 31 : Old Kacyzne , Lithuanian writer and photographer († 1941 )
- June 2 : Hans-Gerhard Creutzfeldt , German neurologist († 1964 )
- June 3 : Jakow Michailowitsch Sverdlov , Soviet politician († 1919 )
- June 4th : Colin Ross , Austrian journalist and travel writer († 1945 )
- June 8 : Toki Zenmaro , Japanese journalist, poet and literary scholar († 1980 )
- June 9 : Norman Wilks , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1944 )
- June 11 : Oskar Reinhart , Swiss art collector and patron († 1965 )
- June 12 : Erich Bockemühl , German teacher, poet and organist († 1968 )
- June 12 : Frank Ferera , Hawaiian musician († 1951 )
- June 16 : Benno König , German aviation pioneer († 1912 )
- June 17 : Richard Ermisch , German architect and senior building officer in Berlin († 1960 )
- June 17 : Oscar Funcke , German politician and manufacturer († 1965 )
- June 17 : Paul Oppenheim , German chemist, philosopher, private scholar and industrialist († 1977 )
- June 18 : Ernie Adams , American actor († 1947 )
- June 18 : Theodor Ludwig Georg Albert Knolle , German Protestant theologian († 1955 )
- June 19 : Stevan Hristić , Yugoslav composer († 1958 )
- June 22nd : Joseph Arend , German politician († 1938 )
- June 22nd : Milan Vidmar , Slovenian chess player († 1962 )
- June 23 : Heinrich Schomburgk , German tennis player († 1965 )
- June 26 : Billy Jenkins , German archer, lasso thrower and raptor dresser († 1954 )
- June 28 : Berthold Viertel , Austrian director and writer († 1953 )
- June 29 : Pedro Humberto Allende Sarón , Chilean composer († 1959 )
- June 29 : André Gailhard , French composer († 1966 )
- June 30th : Viktor Schauberger , Austrian forester, researcher and inventor († 1958 )
- July 5 : Vladimir Nikolajewitsch Andronnikow , Russian revolutionary, Soviet politician and statesman († 1942 )
- July 5th : Blas Infante , Spanish politician, writer, historian and musicologist († 1936 )
- July 6 : Fritz Arndt , German chemist († 1969 )
- July 6 : Vladimir Andreevich Artemjew , Soviet rocket scientist († 1962 )
- July 6 : Ernst Busch , German Field Marshal General († 1945 )
- July 6 : Doyle Carlton , American politician († 1972 )
- July 6 : Eugen Margarétha , Austrian politician († 1963 )
- July 7th : Ernest Bristow Farrar , English composer and organist († 1918 )
- July 8 : Ernst Bloch , German philosopher († 1977 )
- July 8 : Hugo Ferdinand Boss , German textile entrepreneur († 1948 )
- July 8 : Paul Leni , German set designer and director († 1929 )
- July 9 : Gustav Ammann , Swiss landscape architect († 1955 )
- July 9 : Tor Andræ , Swedish historian of religion and bishop († 1947 )
- July 9 : Caius Welcker , Dutch football player († 1939 )
- July 10th : Francisco Olazar , Argentinian football player and coach († 1958 )
- July 12 : Monte Attell , American boxer († 1958 )
- July 12 : George Butterworth , English composer († 1916 )
- July 13 : Margarete Adam , German university professor († 1946 )
- July 13 : Adolf Behne , German architect, art politician and scientist († 1948 )
- July 15 : Josef Frank , Austrian architect († 1967 )
- July 17 : Benjamin Dale , English organist and composer († 1943 )
- July 17 : Ludwig Sternaux , German theater director († 1938 )
- July 20 : Ulysse Paquin , Canadian singer († 1972 )
- July 21 : Jacques Feyder , Franco-Belgian film director († 1948 )
- July 22 : Heinrich Gustav Arnhold , German banker, collector, patron and Esperantist († 1935 )
- July 22nd : Max Triebsch , German cyclist
- July 24th : Hermann Clausen , Danish-German politician († 1962 )
- July 24th : Paul von Hase , German general and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- July 26 : André Maurois , French writer and literary scholar († 1967 )
- July 26 : Georg Wagner , German geologist and university lecturer († 1972 )
- July 26 : Alfred Wickenburg , Austrian painter and graphic artist († 1978 )
- July 29th : Theda Bara , American silent film actress († 1955 )
- July 29 : Emil Artur Longen , Czech director, dramaturge, painter, author († 1936 )
- July 31 : Charles Avery Dunning , Canadian politician († 1958 )
- August 1 : George de Hevesy , Hungarian chemist († 1966 )
- August 1 : Kinoshita Mokutarō , Japanese writer and doctor († 1945 )
- August 1st : Peter von der Mühll , Swiss classical philologist († 1970 )
- August 2 : Hans Peters , German graphic artist, painter and art teacher († 1978 )
- August 7th : Gene Buck , American illustrator, songwriter and music producer († 1957 )
- August 7th : Vittore Frigerio , Swiss journalist and writer († 1961 )
- August 8 : Conrad Gauthier , Canadian singer and actor († 1964 )
- August 9 : Philip van Dijk , Dutch football player († 1937 )
- August 10 : Hermann Ammann , German linguist († 1956 )
- August 10 : Franziska Mayer-Hillebrand , Austrian psychologist († 1978 )
- August 11 : Constantin Bock von Wülfingen , German administrative lawyer, politician and NSDAP member († 1954 )
- August 14 : William S. Flynn (politician) , American politician († 1965 )
- August 15 : Edna Ferber , American writer († 1968 )
- August 15 : Andrei Filippowitsch Pashchenko , Russian composer († 1972 )
- August 16 : Jesse M. Donaldson , American politician († 1970 )
- August 17 : Kurt Hiller , German writer and publicist († 1972 )
- August 17 : Clara Gertrud Wichmann , Dutch lawyer, publicist, pacifist († 1922 )
- August 18 : Timothy Joseph Ahearne , Irish athlete († 1968 )
- August 20 : Walter Rohrbeck , German university professor († 1956 )
- August 23 : Stanislav Ondříček , Czech violinist and music teacher († 1953 )
- August 24 : Wakayama Bokusui , Japanese writer († 1928 )
- August 25 : Édouard Dethier , Belgian-American violinist and music teacher († 1962 )
- August 25 : Georg Wilhelm Pabst , Austrian director († 1967 )
- August 26 : Jules Romains , French novelist and polygraph († 1972 )
- August 27 : Ellen Lax , German industrial physicist
- August 28 : Antonio Létourneau , Canadian organist and music teacher († 1948 )
- August 28 : Daniel Zamudio , Colombian composer and musicologist († 1952 )
- August 29 : Hans Jahn , German politician († 1960 )
- August 29 : Ugo Sivocci , Italian racing car driver († 1923 )
- August 30 : Wendelin Rauch , Archbishop of Freiburg im Breisgau († 1954 )
- August 31 : Herbert Westren Turnbull , English mathematician († 1961 )
- September 1 : Hermann Grapow , German Egyptologist († 1967 )
- September 3 : Wilhelm Baehrens , German classical philologist († 1929 )
- September 4 : Antonio Bacci , Italian Catholic clergyman († 1971 )
- September 4 : Vinçenc Kolë Prennushi , Albanian, Catholic Archbishop († 1949 )
- September 6 : Franz Theodor Csokor , Austrian writer († 1969 )
- September 9 : Paul Henckels , German actor († 1967 )
- September 10 : Emmy Heim , Austrian singer and music teacher († 1954 )
- September 10 : Jan de Jong , Dutch clergyman, Archbishop of Utrecht and Cardinal († 1955 )
- September 10 : Dora Pejačević , Croatian composer († 1923 )
- September 11 : David Herbert Lawrence , British writer († 1930 )
- September 12 : Heinrich Hoffmann , German photographer, personal photographer of Adolf Hitler († 1957 )
- September 12 : William Slavens McNutt , American screenwriter and writer († 1938 )
- September 13 : Wilhelm Blaschke , Austrian mathematician and author († 1962 )
- September 14 : Carl de Vogt , German actor († 1970 )
- September 14 : Ludwig Karl Hilberseimer , German architect and urban planner († 1967 )
- September 15 : Jafar Pascha al-Askari , Ottoman officer († 1936 )
- September 15 : Grete Beier , German murderer († 1908 )
- September 15 : Orvil Elliott , Canadian gymnast († 1954 )
- September 15 : Ina Seidel , German writer († 1974 )
- September 16 : Karen Horney , German-American psychologist († 1952 )
- September 17 : Josef Escher , Swiss politician († 1954 )
- September 17 : Üzeyir Hacıbəyov , Azerbaijani composer († 1948 )
- September 19 : Hermann Kupferschmid , German painter and etcher († 1975 )
- September 20 : Éva Gauthier , Canadian singer († 1958 )
- September 29 : Friedrich-Wilhelm Ande , German high school teacher and local researcher († 1945 )
- September 21 : Elisabeth Müller , Swiss youth writer († 1977 )
- September 21 : Gilbert Rahm , German clergyman and zoologist († 1954 )
- September 22nd : Erik Gunnar Asplund , Swedish architect, professor and designer († 1940 )
- September 22 : Ben Chifley , Australian politician and Prime Minister († 1951 )
- September 22nd : Erich von Stroheim , American director and actor. († 1957 )
- September 22 : Albert Walter , German politician († 1980 )
- September 23 : Karl von Buchka , German politician († 1960 )
- September 27 : Stella Arbenina , Russian actress († 1976 )
- September 27 : Gustav Schröder , German captain († 1959 )
- September 28 : Alexander Grundner-Culemann , German forester and politician, († 1981 )
- October 1 : Max Henny , Dutch football player († 1968 )
- October 3 : Wladimir Romanowitsch Bakaleinikoff , American violist, conductor and composer of Russian origin († 1953 )
- October 4 : Elisabeth Ahnert , German artist († 1966 )
- October 7th : Niels Bohr , Danish physicist, Nobel Prize winner († 1962 )
- October 8 : Khải Định , twelfth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn dynasty († 1925 )
- October 10 : Walter Anderson , German folklorist († 1962 )
- October 11 : Alfréd Haar , Hungarian mathematician († 1933 )
- October 11 : Edmund Knorr , German teacher, home curator, conservationist and ornithologist († 1979 )
- October 11 : François Mauriac , French writer († 1970 )
- October 15 : Fridtjof Backer-Grøndahl , Norwegian pianist and composer († 1959 )
- October 15 : Metod Doležil , Czech choir director and music teacher († 1971 )
- October 15 : Frank Hurley , Australian photographer and cameraman († 1962 )
- October 15 : Jóhannes Sveinsson Kjarval , Icelandic painter († 1972 )
- October 15 : Ulrich Leman , German painter († 1988 )
- October 15 : Hans Hasso von Veltheim , German Indologist, anthroposophist and world traveler († 1956 )
- October 16 : Dorando Pietri , Italian marathon runner († 1942 )
- October 21 : Egon Wellesz , Austrian composer and musicologist († 1974 )
- October 28 : Karl Attenberger , German cameraman († 1951 )
- October 28 : Per Albin Hansson , Swedish politician and Prime Minister († 1946 )
- October 28 : Gustav Sack , German writer, poet and playwright († 1916 )
- October 29 : Juan Bautista Massa , Argentine composer († 1938 )
- October 30 : Ezra Pound , American poet († 1972 )
- October 31 : Karl Radek , Russian politician and journalist († 1939 ?)
- November 1 : Pierre Dupong , Luxembourg politician († 1953 )
- November 1 : Anton Flettner , German engineer and scientist († 1961 )
- November 1 : Albert Steeger , German polymath († 1958 )
- November 2 : Harlow Shapley , American astronomer († 1972 )
- November 3 : Nikolai Anitschkow , Russian pathologist († 1964 )
- November 3 : Eduard Baar-Baarenfels , Austrian Heimwehr leader and politician († 1967 )
- November 3 : Odo Neustädter-Stürmer , Austrian politician and chief ideologist of the Heimwehr († 1938 )
- November 4 : Felix Braun , Austrian writer († 1973 )
- November 5 : William James Durant , American philosopher and writer († 1981 )
- November 5 : Martin Wagner , German architect and urban planner († 1957 )
- November 7 : Frank Knight , American economist († 1972 )
- November 8 : Paul Brohmer , German biologist († 1965 )
- November 8 : Emil Fahrenkamp , German architect, professor († 1966 )
- November 8 : Tomoyuki Yamashita , Japanese general († 1946 )
- November 9 : Velimir Chlebnikow , Russian poet († 1922 )
- November 9 : Theodor Kaluza , German physicist († 1954 )
- November 9 : Hermann Weyl , German mathematician († 1955 )
- November 10 : Wolfgang Goetz , German writer († 1955 )
- November 11 : George S. Patton , American General († 1945 )
- November 12th : Rangsit Prayurasakdi , Thai prince († 1951 )
- November 14 : Sonia Delaunay-Terk , French painter († 1979 )
- November 15 : Emil Hadina , Austrian-Sudeten German writer († 1957 )
- November 16 : Eugène Verpault , French racing driver († 1980 )
- November 16 : Tycho von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff , German classical philologist († 1914 )
- November 16 : Josef Kentenich , German theologian, founder of the international Schoenstatt Movement († 1968 )
- November 17 : Hendrik de Man , Belgian social psychologist, theorist of socialism and politician († 1953 )
- November 17 : George Simonis , Romanian composer and music teacher († 1971 )
- November 17 : Otto Trieloff , German athlete († 1967 )
- November 18 : Phog Allen , American basketball coach († 1974 )
- November 20 : Hermann Keller , German church musician and musicologist († 1967 )
- November 20 : John Johnston Parker , American judge, among others at the Nuremberg Trials († 1958 )
- November 21 : Walter Le Coutre , German professor, business economist and balance sheet theorist († 1965 )
- November 21 : Kurt Witte , German classical philologist († 1950 )
- November 24th : Fritz Arthur Hugo foreigner , German politician († 1943 )
- November 24th : Louis Blondel , Swiss archaeologist († 1967 )
- November 24 : Rudolf Klein-Rogge , German actor († 1955 )
- November 24 : Christian Wirth , German criminal police officer († 1944 )
- November 26 : Heinrich Brüning , German politician and Reich Chancellor († 1970 )
- November 28 : Erwin Geldmacher , German professor of business administration († 1965 )
- November 30 : Albert Kesselring , German officer in the First and Second World Wars († 1960 )
- December 2 : Pietro Ciriaci , Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1966 )
- December 2 : Jean-Josaphat Gagnier , Canadian conductor and composer († 1949 )
- December 2 : George Richards Minot , American doctor, Nobel Prize winner († 1950 )
- December 2 : Susan Stebbing , British philosopher († 1943 )
- December 2 : Nana de Varennes , Canadian actress († 1981 )
- December 3 : Edward Lasker , American chess and go player († 1981 )
- December 4 : David Rivett , Australian chemist and science manager († 1961 )
- December 6 : Albin Nikolaus Angerer , German doctor and student historian († 1979 )
- December 6 : Albrecht Schaeffer , German writer († 1950 )
- December 7th : Mason Phelps , American golfer († 1945 )
- December 8 : August Babberger , German painter (Expressionism) († 1936 )
- December 10 : Hans Rubenbauer , German classical philologist († 1963 )
- December 10 : Marios Varvoglis , Greek composer († 1967 )
- December 11 : Erich Brunner , German problem composer († 1938 )
- December 14 : Richard Schmitz , Austrian politician († 1954 )
- December 15 : Hans Wehberg , German teacher of international law († 1962 )
- December 17 : Theodor Steltzer , German Prime Minister († 1967 )
- December 20 : Miel van Leijden , Dutch football player († 1949 )
- December 21 : Hermann Heimerich , German politician († 1963 )
- December 23 : Hermann Carl Wilhelm Aubin , German-Austrian historian, science organizer and history politician († 1969 )
- December 23 : Hans Gerstinger , Austrian classical philologist († 1971 )
- December 25 : Albert Betz , German physicist and pioneer of wind power technology († 1968 )
- December 25 : Hermann Dieckmann , German politician († 1957 )
- December 25th : Maria Kühne , German resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1947 )
- December 27 : Pavel Dědeček , Czech conductor and music teacher († 1954 )
- December 28 : Antonio Farage , Syrian titular archbishop and patriarchal procurator († 1963 )
- December 28 : Vladimir Evgrafowitsch Tatlin , Russian sculptor († 1953 )
- December 29 : Ernst Schönbauer , Austrian legal historian and politician († 1966 )
- December 31 : Franz von Hoeßlin , German conductor († 1946 )
- December 31 : Edgar Leslie , American songwriter († 1976 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Makbule Atadan , sister of the state founder of Turkey Mustafa Kemal Ataturk († 1956 )
- Sardar Schir Ahmad , Afghan Ambassador and Minister († unknown)
- Charlie Collier , British motorcycle racer and entrepreneur († 1954 )
- Georges Kriéger , French organist and composer († 1916 )
- Odette Le Fontenay , French opera singer and vocal teacher († 1965 )
- Alfred Nohcor , Canadian singer, actor and composer († unknown)
- January 5 : Adolf Carl Daniel von Auersperg , Prime Minister of Austria-Hungary (* 1821 )
- January 5 : Carl Gottlieb Elsässer , Australian composer and music teacher (* 1817 )
- January 6th : Peter Christen Asbjørnsen , Norwegian writer and fairy tale collector (* 1812 )
- January 10 : Alexei Uvarow , Russian archaeologist (* 1825 )
- January 12th : August von Württemberg , Prussian Colonel General (* 1813 )
- January 15 : Antoni Edward Odyniec , Polish poet, playwright and translator (* 1804 )
- January 16 : Edmond About , French writer (* 1828 )
- January 17 : Frederick Gustavus Burnaby , British military, traveler and writer (* 1842 )
- January 21 : Friedrich Henning von Arnim , German entrepreneur (* 1804 )
- January 25 : Carl Eduard Abendroth , Hamburg merchant and member of the Hamburg Parliament (* 1804 )
- January 25 : Alois Emanuel Biedermann , Swiss Reformed theologian from Switzerland (* 1819 )
- January 26 : Charles George Gordon , British general (* 1833 )
- January 29th : Franz Rieger , Czech master organ builder (* 1812 )
- February 1 : James Chesnut junior , American military, Confederate general (* 1815 )
- February 1 : Sidney Thomas , British metallurgist (* 1850 )
- February 7th : August Reinsdorf , German freedom fighter (* 1849 )
- February 11 : Edward McCabe , Irish Cardinal and Archbishop of Dublin (* 1816 )
- February 12 : Alexander Mouton , American politician (* 1804 )
- February 14 : Jules Vallès , French publicist, revolutionary and journalist (* 1832 )
- February 14 : Benjamin B. Hotchkiss , American artillery engineer (* 1826 )
- February 15 : Eduard Schulze , German officer and traveler (* 1852 )
- February 16 : Herbert Stewart , British major general (* 1843 )
- February 25 : Johann Heinrich Runge , German master organ builder (* 1811 )
- February 28 : Beriah Magoffin , American politician (* 1815 )
- March 5 : Heinrich Leopold Sylvius Franz von Aulock , German medic, landowner and politician (* 1824 )
- March 6th : Thomas Lilbourne Anderson , American politician (* 1808 )
- March 6 : Timothy Shay Arthur , American writer (* 1809 )
- March 7 : Jakub Malý , Czech historian, writer and journalist (* 1811 )
- March 11th : Augustine Aglio , British sculptor, book illustrator and watercolor painter (* 1816 )
- March 13 : Wilhelm Dunker , German geologist, paleontologist and zoologist (* 1809 )
- March 18 : August Kramer (inventor) , German inventor (* 1817 )
- March 24th : Jacob Thompson , American politician (* 1810 )
- March 27 : Friedrich Johannes Jacob Cölestin von Schwarzenberg , Archbishop of Prague (* 1809 )
- March 28 : Ludvig Norman , Swedish conductor and composer (* 1831 )
- March 31 : Franz Abt , German composer and conductor (* 1819 )
- Emmanuel Gallard-Lépinay , French marine painter (* 1842 ) March:
- April 7 : Emmy von Rhoden , German writer (* 1829 )
- April 14 : Vilmos Győry , Hungarian writer and translator (* 1838 )
- April 15 : Walther Wolfgang von Goethe , German composer (* 1818 )
- April 16 : Joshua Baker , American politician (* 1799 )
- April 19 : Richard Ansdell , English painter (* 1815 )
- April 20 : Gustav Nachtigal , German Africa explorer (* 1834 )
- April 30 : Jens Peter Jacobsen , Danish writer (* 1847 )
- May 5 : Lauro Rossi , Italian composer (* 1812 )
- May 8 : Joseph Behm , Hungarian-German church musician and composer (* 1815 )
- May 8 : Pavel Křížkovský , Czech composer (* 1820 )
- May 11 : Ferdinand Hiller , German composer (* 1811 )
- May 19 : William Huntington Russell , American co-founder of the Yale secret society Skull and Bones (* 1809 )
- May 20 : Frederick T. Frelinghuysen , American politician (* 1817 )
- May 21 : Gawriil Ioakimowitsch Lomakin , Russian composer (* 1812 )
- May 22 : Victor Hugo , French writer (* 1802 )
- May 29 : Jan Dobrzański , Polish journalist, revolutionary and theater director (* 1820 )
- May 30th : Jakob Fürchtegott Dielmann , German painter (* 1809 )
- May 30 : Paul de Noailles , French statesman and historian (* 1802 )
- May: Adolphe Blanc , French composer (* 1828 )
- June 2 : Karl Anton von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen , German nobleman (* 1811 )
- June 5th : Julius Benedict , British composer and conductor (* 1804 )
- June 15 : John Neergaard , Norwegian politician (* 1795 )
- June 17 : Edwin von Manteuffel , Prussian Field Marshal General (* 1809 )
- June 17th : Ignaz Reimann , German teacher, church musician and composer (* 1820 )
- June 20 : Thomas Bartley , American politician (* 1812 )
- June 22 : Muhammad Ahmad , Islamic-political leader of the Mahdi uprising in Sudan (* 1844 ) named after him
- June 28 : Franz Umpfenbach , German classical philologist (* 1835 )
- July 1 : Hermann Fehling , German chemist (* 1811 )
- July 7 : Christoph Theodor Äby , Swiss anthropologist (* 1835 )
- July 7th : Johann Christoph Hilf , German musician (* 1783 )
- July 7th : Nicola De Giosa , Italian composer and conductor (* 1819 )
- July 14th : Ernst Hello , French writer and philosopher (* 1828 )
- July 15 : Rosalía de Castro , Spanish poet (* 1837 )
- July 23 : Ulysses Simpson Grant , General and President of the USA (* 1822 )
- July 25 : Ernst Laas , German educator and philosopher (* 1837 )
- July 28 : Moses Montefiore , British entrepreneur and Jewish philanthropist (* 1784 )
- July 29th : Henri Milne Edwards , French naturalist (* 1800 )
- August 12 : Helen Hunt Jackson , American author (* 1831 )
- August 14 : Waldo P. Johnson , American politician (* 1817 )
- August 16 : Julius Converse , American politician (* 1798 )
- August 18 : Ludwig Lange , German classical philologist (* 1825 )
- August 26th : August Gottfried Ritter , German composer and organist (* 1811 )
- August 28 : Julius Hopp German composer, librettist, arranger and translator (* 1819 )
- August 31 : Edgar Cowan , American politician (* 1815 )
- September 6 : Edme Charles Philippe Lepère , French statesman (* 1823 )
- September 6th : Narcís Monturiol Spanish engineer and inventor (* 1819 )
- September 13th : Friedrich Kiel , German composer of the late Romantic period (* 1821 )
- September 14 : Gustav Eduard Becker , German watchmaker and founder of the Gustav Becker watch brand (* 1819 )
- October 1 : Anthony Ashley-Cooper , British politician (* 1801 )
- October 5 : Wilhelm Heine , German painter and traveler (* 1827 )
- October 10 : John McCloskey , first American cardinal (* 1810 )
- October 16 : Hugh Rose, 1st Baron Strathnairn , British Field Marshal (* 1801 )
- October 18 : Christian Johann Heinrich Schmidt , German, first permanently employed locomotive driver of the Leipzig-Dresden Railway Company (* 1810 )
- October 19 : Caspar Butz , German-American writer and politician (* 1825 )
- October 24 : John B. Page , American politician (* 1826 )
- October 29 : John Bullock Clark , American politician (* 1802 )
- October 29 : George B. McClellan , American military, commander in chief of the Union Forces in the Civil War (* 1826 )
- October 30 : Gustav Adolf Merkel , German music teacher and composer (* 1827 )
- October 31 : Juan Bautista Topete , Spanish admiral and politician (* 1821 )
- November 3 : Adele Muzzarelli , Italian soubrette, singer and dancer (* 1816 )
- November 13th : Maximilian Joseph Bernhard von Arco-Zinneberg , German nobleman, also known as Adlergraf (* 1811 )
- November 13 : Anselmo José Braamcamp , Portuguese politician (* 1819 )
- November 15 : Friedrich August Eckstein , German classical philologist and lexicographer (* 1810 )
- November 16 : Louis Riel , Canadian Métis leader (* 1844 )
- November 25th : Alfonso XII. , Spanish king (* 1857 )
- November 25 : Nicolás Avellaneda , Argentine President (* 1837 )
- November 25th : Thomas A. Hendricks , American politician (* 1819 )
- November 26th : Thomas Andrews , Irish physicist and chemist (* 1813 )
- December 3 : Carl Rosenberg , Danish publicist and historian (* 1829 )
- December 3 : Pieter Harting , Dutch physician, geologist, hydrologist and botanist (* 1812 )
- December 6th : Robert Gerwig , German civil engineer (* 1820 )
- December 9 : Hermann Becker (DFP), German politician (* 1820 )
- December 13 : B. Gratz Brown , American politician (* 1826 )
- December 14th : Ernst Falkbeer , Austrian chess master (* 1819 )
- December 15 : Ferdinand II , King of Portugal (* 1816 )
- December 18 : Hiland Hall , American politician (* 1795 )
- December 19 : Ryland Fletcher , American politician (* 1799 )
- December 20 : Karl Huber , Romanian-German composer, violinist, conductor and music teacher (* 1828 )
- December 21 : Eduard Hölzel , Austrian bookseller and publisher (* 1817 )
- December 22nd : Louis René Tulasne , French botanist and mycologist (* 1815 )
- December 24th : Sanford Christie Barnum , American dentist, inventor of the rubber dam (* 1838 )
- December 25 : Eugène Emmanuel Amaury Pineux , French painter (* 1808 )
- December 29 : James E. Bailey , American politician (* 1822 )