Calendar overview 1817
Wartburg Festival in Eisenach
on the Wartenberg .
|Karl Drais invents the draisine .||
José de San Martín
defeats the Spaniards in the
Battle of Chacabuco .
|Waterloo Bridge in London opens.|
|1817 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1265/66 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1809/10 (September 10/11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1222/23 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2360/61 (southern Buddhism); 2359/60 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1179/80 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4150/51 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1232/1233 (turn of the year 10/11 November)|
|Jewish calendar||5577/78 (September 10-11)|
|Coptic calendar||1533/34 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2127/28 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2128/29 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1873/74 (April)|
Politics and world events
- In Portugal , an uprising by liberal and Masonic forces against the military dictatorship under William Carr Beresford fails . Several conspirators, including Gomes Freire de Andrade , are arrested and executed on October 18 .
- 18 / October 19 : About 500 student representatives from German universities meet in protest against their opinion, reactionary political system for Wartburg Festival in Eisenach . Several professors from the University of Jena also take part, namely the doctors Dietrich Georg von Kieser and Lorenz Oken , the historian Heinrich Luden and the philosopher Jakob Friedrich Fries . Among other things, numerous books and writings perceived as reactionary are burned at the festival .
- The Caucasus War begins.
- October 31 : After the abdication of Emperor Kōkaku , his son Ninkō is enthroned in Japan as Tennō .
- December 21 : In the Third Marath War , the soldiers of the British East India Company defeat the army from Indore in the Battle of Mahidpur .
- The Russian-American company under Georg Anton Schäffer leaves its branch in Hawaii due to a lack of support from Saint Petersburg .
- March 4 : James Monroe becomes fifth President of the United States of America . He replaces his fellow party member James Madison from the Democratic Republican Party , in whose cabinet he was Foreign Secretary.
- April / May: DeWitt Clinton wins the gubernatorial election in New York , which became necessary because the previous governor Daniel D. Tompkins was elected Vice President of the United States last year.
- June 29th : With financial support from US donors, the adventurer Gregor MacGregor conquers the island of Amelia Island off Florida . The further conquest of Florida from Spain fails due to the lack of further support from the donors.
- July: While the French pirate and Mexican governor of Galveston , Louis Michel Aury , is on a pirate voyage against the Spaniards, his French compatriot Jean Laffite conquers the city and founds the pirate state of Campeche , which lasted until 1821 . Aury resigns from governorship on July 31 and joins Gregor MacGregor on Amelia Island.
- September 29 : The warriors and chiefs of Wyandot - Seneca - Lenni Lenape - Shawnee - Potawatomi - Ottawa - and Anishinabe - Indians on the Ohio River left in the Treaty of Fort Meigs rest of their land to the United States , which by the Whites has long been settled.
- December 10 : The former Mississippi Territory is incorporated into the United States as the 20th state under the name Mississippi .
- January 19 : The South American revolutionary José de San Martín breaks with more than 5,400 soldiers from Argentina over the Andes on to Chile and Peru from Spanish colonial rule to liberate.
- February 12th : In the Chilean struggle for independence , rebels and Spanish troops fight for Chacabuco . The independence fighters win and can move into Santiago two days later .
- January 25th : The liberal Scottish daily The Scotsman appears for the first time.
- March 8 : The New York Stock Exchange issues stock exchange regulations and sets up a formal business organization.
- April: The Edinburgh Monthly Magazine is published for the first time by Blackwood & Sons , a monthly for literature, politics and philosophy. The monthly magazine is designed as Tory- related competition to the influential Whig- related quarterly magazine Edinburgh Review .
- July 10 : Scottish physicist David Brewster receives a British patent on the kaleidoscope he rediscovered .
- August 9 : Johann Friedrich Gottlob Koenig and Andreas Friedrich Bauer found the oldest printing machine factory in the world: Koenig & Bauer .
science and technology
Valley of the Kings
- August 1st : The Italian adventurer Giovanni Battista Belzoni clears the entrance of the great temple of Abu Simbel, discovered in 1813 , from the sand and penetrates inside for the first time.
- October 16 : In the Valley of the Kings at the urging of be Giovanni Battista Belzoni further excavations carried out two days later to expose an input into the grave of the Pharaohs I. Seti lead.
- October 18 : Giovanni Battista Belzoni arrives at the discovered tomb of the pharaoh Sethos I and finds evidence that suggests grave robbers who had invaded centuries ago .
Teaching and Research
- April 12 : The merger of the University of Halle and the University of Wittenberg creates the United Friedrichs University Halle-Wittenberg .
- April 15 : In Hartford (Connecticut) found Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Laurent Clerc one of the first schools for the deaf in America, the Connecticut Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons .
- October 9 : The University of Ghent is officially opened.
Other technical and scientific events
- June 12th : Karl Drais takes the first public ride in Mannheim on the draisine he invented (forerunner of the bicycle ).
- June 18 : In London, Prince Regent George officially opens Waterloo Bridge . The bridge designed by John Rennie Sr. is the longest in town.
- Pierre Joseph Pelletier and Joseph Bienaimé Caventou isolated from plants a green dye , which she chlorophyll call.
- The chemical elements cadmium , selenium and lithium are discovered.
- October 7th / 8th : Johann Wolfgang von Goethe writes a collection of five stamps with the title Urworte. Orphic .
Music and theater
- January 25th : The opera La Cenerentola ossia La bontà in trionfo by Gioachino Rossini has its world premiere at the Teatro della Valle in Rome. The libretto is by Jacopo Ferretti based on the fairy tale Cinderella .
- April 12 : In the court theater in Weimar , Karoline Jagemann , singer and mistress of Duke Karl August , gets the performance of a trained poodle in the melodrama The Dog of Aubry by René Charles Guilbert de Pixérécourt , against Goethe's protest and a written threat of resignation by the Duke answered the next day with Goethe's dismissal as theater director.
- May 31 : The world premiere of the Opera semiseria La gazza ladra ( The Thieving Magpie ) by Gioacchino Rossini takes place at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan. The libretto by the Italian doctor and poet Giovanni Gherardini refers to the melodrama La Pie voleuse, ou la Servante de Palaiseau , which the French theater writer Louis-Charles Caigniez wrote together with his colleague Jean-Marie-Théodore Baudouin d'Aubigny.
- July: Franz Schubert completes one of his most famous and popular art songs , Die Forelle . The text comes from Christian Friedrich Daniel Schubart .
- November 11th Armida , a romantic opera by Gioachino Rossini , is premiered at the Teatro San Carlo in Naples with Isabella Colbran in the title role. The libretto is by Giovanni Schmidt based on episodes from the epic poem The Liberated Jerusalem by Torquato Tasso, completed in 1574 .
- December 30th : The opera Adelaide e Comingo by Giovanni Pacini is premiered at the Teatro Regio Ducale in Milan.
- July 29th : The Austrian Emperor Franz I orders the building of the Kaiser Franz Museum in Brno , now the Moravian State Museum , by decree .
- October 5 : The Manneken Pis fountain figure is stolen in Brussels .
- October 9th : Lucie von Hardenberg , daughter of the royal Prussian State Chancellor and Prince Karl August von Hardenberg , marries the count and landscape architect Hermann von Pückler-Muskau for the second time .
- November 6th : In Rio de Janeiro, the Portuguese Crown Prince Dom Pedro marries the Habsburg Maria Leopoldine of Austria , who had only arrived in South America two days earlier as part of the Austrian expedition to Brazil .
- October 27th : Foundation of the Wroclaw fraternity
- January 2nd : Marcellin Champagnat founds the Marist School Brothers in France with the aim of religious education for young people.
- June 12 : Pope Pius VII publishes the encyclical Vineam quam plantavit , in which he announces the restoration of the dioceses in France after the Napoleonic rule and proposes the establishment of further dioceses and archbishoprics .
- September 27th : King Friedrich Wilhelm III. In Prussia, as the owner of the sovereign church regiment, decreed the unification of the Reformed and Lutheran congregations into a "Uniate" church .
- October 24 : Bavaria's King Maximilian I Joseph accepts the concordat negotiated and improved with the Holy See . Among other things, it regulates questions from the secularization of church property and the mediatization of the imperial estates.
- November 7th : The Lutheran and Reformed congregations in Saarbrücken join forces to form the Saarbrücken Union .
- The first cholera pandemic begins in India.
- August: The Mainz gymnastics club from 1817 is founded. Today it is the third oldest still existing gymnastics club in Germany.
- January 1 : John W. Hall , American politician († 1893 )
- January 2 : François Chabas , French Egyptologist († 1882 )
- January 6 : James Joseph McCarthy , Irish architect († 1882 )
- January 7 : John M. Sandidge , American politician († 1890 )
- January 10 : Friedrich Heimerdinger , German painter († 1882 )
- January 12 : Karl von Schmidt , German officer († 1875 )
- January 21 : Jean Joseph Thonissen , economist and law teacher († 1891 )
- January 22nd : Eugen Adam , German battle painter († 1880 )
- February 2 : August Kramer (inventor) , German inventor († 1885 )
- February 8 : Richard Stoddert Ewell , Confederate General in the American Civil War († 1872 )
- February 9 : Lucas Velázquez , Spanish painter of war scenes, figures and fresco painter († 1870 )
- February 15 : Pietro Calvi , Italian freedom fighter († 1855 )
- February 17th : Christoph Moufang , diocesan administrator of Mainz († 1890 )
- February 18 : Lewis Addison Armistead , Brigadier General in the American Civil War († 1863 )
- February 18 : Johannes Bosboom , Dutch painter († 1891 )
- February 19 : Wilhelm III. , King of the Netherlands († 1890 )
- February 22nd : Karl Wilhelm Borchardt , German mathematician († 1880 )
- February 22nd : Niels Wilhelm Gade , Danish composer and conductor († 1890 )
- February 22nd : Ottilie Wildermuth , German writer († 1877 )
- February 24 : Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot , French general († 1882 )
- February 28 : Ryszard Wincenty Berwiński , Polish poet († 1879 )
- February 28 : James S. Green , American politician († 1870 )
- February 28 : Eduard Pape , German theater, decoration and landscape painter († 1905 )
- March 1 : Giovanni Dupré , Italian sculptor († 1882 )
- March 2 : János Arany , Hungarian poet († 1882 )
- March 4 : Edwin Flye , American politician († 1886 )
- March 4 : August Peters , German narrator († 1864 )
- March 5 : Austen Henry Layard , British diplomat and archaeologist († 1894 )
- March 5 : Moriz Carrière , German writer and philosopher († 1895 )
- March 7 : Jean-Pierre-Alexandre Antigna , French painter († 1878 )
- March 9 : Francisco del Rosario Sánchez , Dominican politician, one of the founding fathers of the Dominican Republic († 1861 )
- March 10 : Karl Friedrich Ferdinand Lachmann , German educator († 1881 )
- March 10 : Marie Nathusius , German narrator and song composer († 1857 )
- March 15 : Franziska Möllinger , Swiss daguerreotypist († 1880 )
- March 24th : Aimé Maillart , French composer († 1871 )
- March 26 : Christian Wilhelm Kreidel , German publisher († 1890 )
- March 27 : Carl Wilhelm von Nägeli , Swiss botanist († 1891 )
- March 31 : William Vandever , American politician († 1893 )
- April 1 : Johannes Jacobus van Oosterzee , Dutch Reformed theologian († 1882 )
- April 2 : Pierre Zaccone , French writer († 1895 )
- April 3 : Mathilde Franziska Anneke , German writer and journalist († 1884 )
- April 3 : Theodor Esche , German textile entrepreneur and politician († 1873 )
- April 4 : Émile Prudent , French pianist, composer and music teacher († 1863 )
- April 8 : Walter Harriman , American politician († 1884 )
- April 10 : Konstantin Sergejewitsch Aksakow , Russian writer († 1860 )
- April 10 : John C. Robinson , American officer and politician († 1897 )
- April 16 : Rudolph von Delbrück , German politician († 1903 )
- April 18 : Michael Phelan , American billiards player and entrepreneur († 1871 )
- April 20 : Theodor von Mörner , German historian and archivist († 1874 )
- April 22 : Andrew Gregg Curtin , American politician († 1894 )
- April 22nd : Gideon von Krismanic , Austrian major general († 1876 )
- April 24 : Jean Charles Galissard de Marignac , Swiss chemist († 1894 )
- April 26th : Heinrich Siesmayer , German gardener and garden architect († 1900 )
- April 29 : Count Vincent Benedetti , French diplomat († 1900 )
- Otto Mengelberg , German history and portrait painter and lithographer († 1890 ) April:
- May 1 : Karl Isidor Beck , Austrian poet, journalist and writer († 1879 )
- May 4 : Florian Ceynowa , Kashubian farmer and writer, practiced as a doctor without permission († 1881 )
- May 10 : Emma Herwegh , German revolutionary († 1904 )
- May 11 : Fanny Cerrito , Italian ballet dancer and choreographer († 1909 )
- May 11 : John F. Potter , American lawyer and politician († 1899 )
- May 12 : Edmund Heusinger von Waldegg , German mechanical engineer and railway pioneer († 1886 )
- May 14 : Alexander Kaufmann , German writer († 1893 )
- May 17 : Carl Kuntze , German composer and musician († 1883 )
- May 17 : William B. Small , American politician († 1878 )
- May 20 : Edward Armitage , English history painter († 1896 )
- May 21 : Hermann Lotze , German philosopher († 1881 )
- May 21 : Niklaus Riggenbach , Swiss engineer, inventor of the rack railway († 1899 )
- May 21 : Edwin White , American painter († 1877 )
- May 29 : Benedikt von Arx , Swiss politician, notary and judge († 1875 )
- May 30th : Hermann August Hagen , German entomologist († 1893 )
- May 31 : Edouard Deldevez , French composer, violinist and conductor († 1897 )
- May 31 : Georg Herwegh , German poet († 1875 )
- June 1 : Eduard Güder , Reformed theologian († 1882 )
- June 3 : Clementine d'Orléans , French princess († 1907 )
- June 3 : Pauline von Mallinckrodt , founder of the order († 1881 )
- June 7 : Carl Gottlieb Elsässer , Australian composer and music teacher († 1885 )
- June 9 : Hermann Victor Andreae , German theologian, doctor, philosopher, lawyer and linguist († 1889 )
- June 9 : Karl Gustav von Sandrart , Prussian infantry general († 1898 )
- June 13th : Antonio de Torres , Spanish guitar maker († 1892 )
- June 14 : Charles Auguste Fraikin , Belgian sculptor († 1893 )
- June 14 : Theobald Kerner , German doctor and poet († 1907 )
- June 23 : Louis Brisson , French Catholic priest, founder of the Oblates of St. Franz v. Sales († 1908 )
- June 23 : Heinrich Schacht , German writer and worker poet († 1863 )
- June 26 : Bertrando Spavénta , Italian philosopher († 1883 )
- June 26 : Bernhard Windscheid , German lawyer († 1892 )
- June 26 : Branwell Brontë , British painter and author († 1848 )
- June 27 : Marie Louise von François , German writer († 1893 )
- June 30 : Joseph Dalton Hooker , English botanist and traveler († 1911 )
- July 6 : Rudolf Albert (von) Kölliker , Swiss anatomist and physiologist († 1905 )
- July 10 : Joseph Aristide Landry , American politician († 1881 )
- July 12 : Henry David Thoreau , American writer and philosopher († 1862 )
- July 13 : Franz Leopold Sonnenschein , German chemist († 1879 )
- July 15 : John Fowler , English railway engineer and bridge builder († 1898 )
- July 17 : Ignace Xavier Joseph Leybach , French composer and organist († 1891 )
- July 21 : Friedrich Fiala , Roman Catholic bishop in the diocese of Basel († 1888 )
- July 24th : Adolf I , Duke of Nassau and Grand Duke of Luxembourg († 1905 )
- July 25 : Heinrich Gottfried Philipp Gengler , German legal historian, privy councilor and university professor († 1901 )
- July 28 : Adolphe Deloffre , French conductor and violinist († 1876 )
- July 29 : Iwan Konstantinowitsch Aiwasowski , Russian marine painter († 1900 )
- July 29 : Wilhelm Griesinger , German psychiatrist and internist († 1868 )
- July 30 : Johan Fredrik Åbom , Swedish architect († 1900 )
- July 30 : Gottlieb Leonhard Gaiser , German businessman († 1892 )
- August 1st : Adolf I. Georg Graf von Schaumburg-Lippe († 1893 )
- August 1 : Richard Dadd , English painter († 1886 )
- August 3 : Albrecht von Österreich-Teschen , Austrian Archduke and General († 1895 )
- August 4 : Frederick T. Frelinghuysen , American politician, Foreign Minister (1881 to 1885) († 1885 )
- August 5 : Carl Friedrich Zimmermann , German instrument maker († 1898 )
- August 8 : Eilert Sundt , Norwegian sociologist († 1875 )
- August 12 : Miles T. Granger , American politician († 1895 )
- August 13 : Károly Thern , Hungarian composer († 1886 )
- August 15 : James Wilson Henderson , American politician († 1880 )
- August 20 : Cölestin Joseph Ganglbauer , Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Vienna, Cardinal († 1889 )
- August 23 : Peter Friedrich Arndt , German mathematician († 1866 )
- August 25 : Friedrich Wilhelm Stade , German organist, conductor and composer († 1902 )
- August 29 : E. Wilder Farley , American politician († 1880 )
- August 31 : John Parsons Cook , American politician († 1872 )
- September 5 : Alexei Tolstoy , Russian writer, playwright and poet († 1875 )
- September 5 : William Augustus Newell , American politician († 1901 )
- September 7th : Louise of Hessen , Queen of Denmark († 1898 )
- September 10 : Richard Spruce , English botanist and naturalist († 1893 )
- September 11th : Matthäus Hörfarter , Catholic theologian († 1896 )
- September 12 : Constantin Frantz , German historian and publicist († 1891 )
- September 13 : John M. Palmer , American politician († 1900 )
- September 13 : Bernhard Peters , German painter, draftsman and drawing teacher († 1866 )
- September 14 : Theodor Storm , German writer († 1888 )
- September 16 : Waldo P. Johnson , American politician († 1885 )
- September 18 : Mihail Kogălniceanu , Romanian statesman, historian and publicist († 1891 )
- September 28 : Michael Tompa , Hungarian poet († 1868 )
- September 29 : Paulus Motz , German dialect poet († 1904 )
- October 2 : Gunnar Wennerberg , Swedish poet, composer, civil servant and politician († 1901 )
- October 3 : Johannes Scherr , German cultural historian († 1886 )
- October 5 : Gustave Chaudey , French lawyer and politician († 1871 )
- October 5 : Eduard Franck , German composer († 1893 )
- October 7 : Bushrod Rust Johnson , US Army officer, professor and major general in the Confederate Army († 1880 )
- October 8 : Eduard Hölzel , Austrian bookseller and publisher († 1885 )
- October 10 : Serafino Dubois , Italian chess master († 1899 )
- October 10 : Christoph Buys Ballot , Dutch scientist, founder of meteorology in the Netherlands and initiator of international climate research († 1890 )
- October 12 : Bernhard Maximilian Lersch , German doctor and scientist († 1902 )
- October 19 : Tom Taylor , British playwright († 1880 )
- October 20 : Mason Tappan , American politician († 1886 )
- October 21 : Wilhelm Roscher , German economist and founder of the older historical school of economics († 1894 )
- October 23 : Pierre Larousse , French writer († 1875 )
- October 24 : Hippolyte Mège-Mouriés , French chemist († 1880 )
- October 27 : Antoni Kątski , Polish composer and pianist († 1889 )
- October 30 : Hermann Kopp , German chemist and chemical historian († 1892 )
- October 31 : Heinrich Graetz , German historian and rabbi († 1891 )
- November 3 : Ernest Hébert , French painter († 1908 )
- November 6 : Gustav Karl Wilhelm Hermann Karsten , German botanist († 1908 )
- November 10 : Johann Jakob Mezger , Swiss Protestant clergyman and local researcher († 1893 )
- November 11 : Stephen Coburn , American politician († 1882 )
- November 12 : Baha'u'llah , Persian founder of the Baha'i religion († 1892 )
- November 12th : Martin Gustav Nottebohm , German musicologist, composer and Beethoven researcher († 1882 )
- November 13th : Louis Lefébure-Wély , French organist and composer († 1869 )
- November 18 : Hermann Schievelbein , German sculptor († 1867 )
- November 20 : Jacobus Isaac Doedes , Dutch Reformed theologian († 1897 )
- November 26th : Charles Adolphe Wurtz , French chemist († 1884 )
- November 30th : Carlo Avanzini , Swiss physician and politician († 1881 )
- November 30th : Theodor Mommsen , German historian and classical scholar († 1903 )
- December 2 : Gaston de Raousset-Boulbon , French adventurer († 1854 )
- December 2 : Adolph Schoder , Württemberg politician († 1852 )
- December 2 : Heinrich von Sybel , German historian († 1895 )
- December 4 : Leopold Alexander Friedrich Arends , German stenographer and system inventor († 1882 )
- December 4 : Nikolos Baratashvili , Georgian poet († 1844 )
- December 4 : Giocondo Storni , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman († 1898 )
- December 16 : John S. Carlile , American politician († 1878 )
- December 19 : James Jay Archer , American Brigadier General († 1864 )
- December 19 : Charles Dancla , French violinist and composer († 1907 )
- December 22 : Tuiskon Ziller , German philosopher and educator (Herbartian) († 1882 )
- December 29 : Eli M. Saulsbury , American politician († 1893 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- José Escolástico Andrino , Salvadoran composer († 1862 )
- Anne Atwood , English author († 1910 )
- Juan Bianchi , Chilean painter († 1875 )
- Alois Boczek , Austrian tax officer, journalist and member of the Frankfurt National Assembly († 1876 )
- George R. Riddle , American politician († 1867 )
- Bernard Ullman , American music impresario († 1885 )
- Joseph Wielhorski , Russian composer († 1892 )
First half of the year
- January 1 : Martin Heinrich Klaproth , German chemist (* 1743 )
- January 16 : Alexander J. Dallas , American politician (* 1759 )
- January 24 : Fernando José de Portugal e Castro , Portuguese nobleman and viceroy of Brazil (* 1752 )
- January 28 : Michel-François Calmelet , French engineer (* 1782 )
- February 3 : Johann Nepomuk von Apfaltern , military person (* 1743 )
- February 9 : Franz Wilhelm Tausch , German clarinet virtuoso and composer (* 1762 )
- February 10 : Karl Theodor von Dalberg , Archbishop of Mainz, Prince Primate, Bishop of Constance (* 1744 )
- February 13 : Alexei Ivanovich Mussin-Pushkin , Russian state official, historian, book and art collector (* 1744 )
- February 14th : Sir John Abercrombie , British general (* 1772 )
- February 23 : Bazyli Bohdanowicz , Polish composer (* 1740 )
- February 23 : Gian Menico Cetti , Swiss translator (* 1780 )
- February 28 : Pietro Carlo Guglielmi , Italian composer (* 1772 )
- March 2 : Giacomo Quarenghi , Italian-Russian architect and painter (* 1744 )
- March 8 : Anna Maria Lenngren , Swedish writer (* 1754 )
- March 18 : Johann Jakob Walder , Swiss politician, lawyer and composer (* 1750 )
- March 24th : Peter Burckhardt , Swiss politician (* 1742 )
- March 26 : Kaspar Friedrich Lossius , German Protestant clergyman, educator and writer (* 1753 )
- April 2 : Johann Heinrich Jung-Stilling , German ophthalmologist and writer (* 1740 )
- April 4 : André Masséna , Marshal of France, Duke of Rivoli and Prince of Essling (* 1758 )
- April 5 : Samuel Christian Pape , German writer, poet and theologian (* 1774 )
- April 11 : William Beloe , British writer, translator and editor (* 1756 )
- April 12 : Charles Messier , French astronomer (* 1730 )
- April 14 : Joseph Calhoun , American politician (* 1750 )
- April 25 : Joseph von Sonnenfels , Austrian writer and professor of political science (* 1733 )
- April 27 : Georg Ernst Waldau , German Protestant theologian and church historian (* 1745 )
- April 30th : Romoaldo Braschi-Onesti , Italian cardinal (* 1753 )
- May 2nd : Philipp Jacob Piderit , German medic (* 1753 )
- May 3 : Mariano de Urquijo y Muga , Spanish politician and representative of the Enlightenment (* 1769 )
- May 5 : Johann Heinrich Lips , Swiss engraver (* 1758 )
- May 11 : Jean-Siffrein Maury , French cleric and politician (* 1746 )
- May 26 : Johann Heinrich Philipp Seidenstücker , German educator and headmaster (* 1765 )
- May 30th : Tristram Dalton , American politician (* 1738 )
- June 7th : Carl Gottlob Cramer , German writer (* 1758 )
- June 8 : Samuel Huntington , American politician (* 1765 )
- June 13 : Richard Lovell Edgeworth , English enlightener and inventor (* 1744 )
- June 13 : Ebenezer Hazard , American politician (* 1744 )
- June 24th : Thomas McKean , American politician (* 1734 )
- June 29 : Ernst Schulze , German poet (* 1789 )
- June 30th : Abraham Gottlob Werner , German mineralogist (* 1749 )
Second half of the year
- July 10 : Hugh Percy , British general, Duke of Northumberland (* 1742 )
- July 14th : Anne Louise Germaine de Staël , French writer (* 1766 )
- July 18 : Jane Austen , British writer (* 1775 )
- July 22nd : Christlieb Georg Heinrich Arresto , German actor and poet (* 1768 )
- July 22nd : François-Philippe Charpentier , French inventor and engraver (* 1734 )
- July 24th : Beda Aschenbrenner , German professor of canon law and abbot (* 1756 )
- July 26 : Karađorđe , Serbian insurgent (* 1762 )
- August 6th : Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours , French economist (* 1739 )
- August 9 : Leopold III. , Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (* 1740 )
- August 15 : Peter Early , American politician (* 1773 )
- August 31 : John Thomas Duckworth , British admiral (* 1747 or 1748 )
- September 8 : Charles Abbot , British botanist and entomologist (* 1761 )
- September 18 : David Hall , American politician (* 1752 )
- September 22nd : James Wadsworth , American politician (* 1730 )
- October 4 : Joachim Bernhard Nicolaus Hacker , German theologian, poet and writer (* 1760 )
- October 14 : Fyodor Fyodorowitsch Ushakow , Russian naval officer and admiral (* 1745 )
- October 15 : Jean Louis Burckhardt , Swiss traveler to the Orient (* 1784 )
- October 15 : Tadeusz Kościuszko , Polish and American general (* 1746 )
- October 18 : Étienne-Nicolas Méhul , French composer (* 1763 )
- October 18 : Gomes Freire de Andrade , Portuguese general (* 1757 )
- October 26 : Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin , botanist (* 1727 )
- October 26 : Yasuaki Aida , Japanese mathematician (* 1747 )
- October 26 : Moritz August von Thümmel , writer (* 1738 )
- October 30 : Johann Anton Ludwig Seidensticker , German jurist (* 1766 )
- November 2 : Joseph Leonz Andermatt , Swiss military and politician (* 1740 )
- November 6th : Charlotte Augusta of Wales , Crown Princess of England (* 1796 )
- November 8th : Andrea Appiani , Italian painter (* 1754 )
- November 14th : Policarpa Salavarrieta , Colombian independence fighter (* around 1795 )
- November 23 : William CC Claiborne , American politician (* 1775 )
- November 26th : Pierre-Antoine Antonelle , French politician, journalist and revolutionary (* 1747 )
- December 1 : Justin Heinrich Knecht , German composer, organist and conductor (* 1752 )
- December 3 : August Eberhard Müller , German composer, virtuoso and Thomaskantor (* 1767 )
- December 7th : William Bligh , British naval officer and governor (* 1754 )
- December 8 : Matthias Steevens van Geuns , Dutch physician and botanist (* 1735 )
- December 11 : Maria Walewska , lover of Napoléon Bonaparte (* 1786 )
- December 11th : Max von Schenkendorf , writer (* 1783 )
- December 15 : Johann von Andrássy , Hungarian military (* 1750 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Manoel Carlos de Andrade , Portuguese rider at the Riding School (* 1755 )
- Shah Khalil Allah III. , 45. Imam of the Nizari Ismailis