Calendar overview 1812
|Moscow by Napoleon Bonaparte's troops , a fire breaks out in the city .|
Russian campaign ends in a catastrophe
for his Grande Armée .
attempting to invade Canada, the Americans suffer
a heavy defeat in the Battle of Queenston Heights .
|1812 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1260/61 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1804/05 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1217/18 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2355/56 (southern Buddhism); 2354/55 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1174/75 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4145/46 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1226/27 (turn of the year 15/16 January)|
|Jewish calendar||5572/73 (September 6-7)|
|Coptic calendar||1528/29 (10/11 September)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2122/23 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2123/24 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1868/69 (April)|
Politics and world events
France and the Russian campaign in 1812
- February 24th : Prussia's King Friedrich Wilhelm III. enters into an alliance with Napoleon Bonaparte for war against Russia under French pressure .
- May 28 : The Treaty of Bucharest ends the sixth Russo-Turkish War . The defeated Ottoman Empire had to cede areas in the Caucasus and half of the Principality of Moldova , later Bessarabia , to Russia .
- June 24th : Napoleon orders the construction of three ship bridges and the crossing over the Memel near Kaunas . With that he crosses the border and attacks Russia. The Russian campaign in 1812 begins. Until June 30 the following Grande Armée some 500,000 soldiers.
- August 17 : On its way to Moscow , Napoleon Bonaparte's army triumphs in the battle for Smolensk over the Russian western army under Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly . The city of Smolensk caught fire when it was conquered and was practically worthless to the French. Napoleon's hope to put the Imperial Russian Army in a decisive battle and thus in destruction is not fulfilled.
- September 7th : The Grande Armée defeats the Russian army under Marshal Mikhail Illarionovich Kutuzov with great losses in the battle of Borodino , one of the bloodiest battles of the 19th century. The way to Moscow is now free for Napoleon Bonaparte.
- September 14th : Napoleon enters Moscow without a fight . Fire breaks out in the city, destroying large parts of the city.
- October 19 : Napoleon leaves Moscow. The Grande Armée began to flee Russia and continued until December.
- October 23 : General Claude François de Malet and some co-conspirators attempt a coup d'état against Napoleon, but it fails. The conspirators will be executed on October 29th . Only Abbé Jean-Baptiste Lafon and another clergyman manage to escape.
- October 24 : In the battle of Malojaroslavz , the French record a tactical victory, but at the same time the Russians are able to prevent Napoleon from advancing into the southern provinces of Russia.
- November 3 : The Battle of Vyazma brings the Grande Armée Napoleon Bonapartes , who are on the march back from Russia, a defeat against more motivated Russian troops.
- November 26th : When the Grande Armée withdraws from Moscow , the French reach the Beresina and begin to cross the river. The next day, disorder arises on the bridges that have been built, which the Russians use for the battle of the Berezina .
- December 3 : 29th bulletin of the Grande Armée
- December 16 : The defeated remnants of the Grande Armée cross the Memel and reach East Prussia. Only 5,000 of the former 500,000 soldiers survived the escape from the advancing Russian units.
- December 30th : Tauroggen Convention . The Prussian General Yorck concludes a local armistice with Russia.
- 7 to 20 January : At the end of the second siege of Ciudad Rodrigo , the Anglo-Portuguese army under Arthur Wellesley conquers the city of Ciudad Rodrigo from the French occupation.
- January 20 : A British-Portuguese army under Arthur Wellesley's command ends the siege of Ciudad Rodrigo by storming the French-held fortress during the Napoleonic Wars in the Iberian Peninsula .
- March 19 : In Spain, the Cadiz Constitution , the first of that country, is published. However, just two years later after his return, monarch Ferdinand VII , who was outside the country, put it out of force and absolutism was reintroduced.
- April 6th : The Napoleonic Wars on the Iberian Peninsula lead to the siege of Badajoz . The Anglo-Portuguese armed forces under the command of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington , prevailed against the French garrison in Badajoz . The capture of the place secured Portugal from further invasion.
- July 22nd : The Battle of Salamanca is lost in the course of the Napoleonic Wars on the Iberian Peninsula by the French troops under General Marmont against the attacking Allied army under Wellington's command .
- July 23 : The Battle of García Hernández heavy attacks Cavalry Brigade of the British German Legion , the French rearguard and smashes three successive French squares .
- October 23 : The battle in Venta del Pozo ends in a tactical tie.
Other events in Europe
- February 27th : Lord Byron expresses understanding for Luddism in the British House of Lords and defends the machine- raiders of his home constituency.
- March 11th : The Prussian Jewish edict of King Friedrich Wilhelm III. decrees the equality of Jewish citizens in Prussia .
- April 8 : Helsinki is a decree Tsar I. Alexander the capital of which is under Russian rule Grand Duchy of Finland .
- May 11 : British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval is shot dead by John Bellingham on his way to the House of Commons . Perceval is the first and so far only assassination victim as British Prime Minister.
- July 18 : The peace treaty of Örebro ends the Swedish-British war declared on November 17, 1810 under pressure from Napoleon Bonaparte , in which there was no exchange of fire between the two sides.
- The Russian-American Company founds Fort Ross as the southernmost fortified outpost of Russian America . It serves both as a base for fur hunting and to supply Russian trading establishments in Alaska with food.
- June 18 : The United States declares war on Great Britain : This begins the so-called War of 1812 . President James Madison entrusts the completely unsuitable Henry Dearborn with the supreme command of the American troops.
- July 12 : American forces under Brigadier General William Hull begin an invasion of Canada .
- July 17 : British troops and Indian allies conquer the strategically important American frontier fortress Fort Mackinac in one stroke .
- August 16 : US troops under Brigadier General William Hull , who have withdrawn to Detroit after an unsuccessful attempt at invasion of Canada , surrender without a fight to an outnumbered British Indian army under Sir Isaac Brock and Tecumseh .
- August 19 : The American frigate USS Constitution (44 guns) forces the British frigate HMS Guerriere (38 guns) to surrender after a losing battle. The British ship is so badly damaged that it has to be sunk. The first sea victory by a regular American warship against a British warship caused a sensation in the United States and Great Britain.
- October 13 : The Americans under Stephen Van Rensselaer III suffer an attempt to invade Canada . a heavy defeat in the battle of Queenston Heights against vastly outnumbered British Indian troops. However, General Isaac Brock is killed in the battle , an irreplaceable loss for the British units in Canada.
- October 25 : The American frigate USS United States (44 cannons) defeats the British frigate HMS Macedonian (38 cannons) in a single battle and forces it to surrender.
- November 27 : The First Battle of Lacolle Mills ends with a victory for the British troops allied with the Kahnawake - Mohawk under Colonel Charles-Michel de Salaberry , mainly because American units under Henry Dearborn and Zebulon Pike mistakenly shoot each other in a bloody battle .
- November 28 : British troops repel another American attempt at invasion of Canada in the battle of Frenchman's Creek .
Other events in the United States
- April 30th : The Orleans Territory , created in 1804 , is incorporated into the Union of the United States as the 18th state under the name Louisiana . The Louisiana Territory to the north of this will be renamed the Missouri Territory on June 4th to avoid confusion.
- October 30 to December 2 : In the 1812 presidential election in the United States , incumbent President James Madison of the Democratic-Republican Party wins against DeWitt Clinton , the federalist candidate .
- February 27 : Near the city of Rosario hoists Manuel Belgrano a light blue and white flag, the precursor of the flag of Argentina .
science and technology
- August 12th : The Middleton Railway , the world's first cog railway , begins regular operations in England. It connects a coal mine in Middleton , West Yorkshire, with Leeds to transport coal . The Salamanca , England's first economically successful steam locomotive , has been running on the route since June 24th .
- Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier presented his work on Fourier series to the Academy of Sciences in Paris .
- Siméon Denis Poisson developed his Poisson equation for the electrical potential of a current-carrying conductor .
- Jean Louis Burckhardt describes Hittite inscriptions ( Hama stones ) for the first time .
Music and theater
- January 7th : World premiere of the comic opera L'Homme sans façon ou Les Contrariétés by Rodolphe Kreutzer at the Opéra-Comique in Paris
- March 8 : World premiere of the operetta Feodore by Conradin Kreutzer in Stuttgart
- March 30th : World premiere of Conradin Kreutzer's opera Conradin von Schwaben in Stuttgart
- April 4 : The opera Johann von Paris by François-Adrien Boieldieu based on the libretto by Claude Godard D'Aucourt de Saint-Just has its world premiere at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- May 13 : Ludwig van Beethoven completes his 7th symphony .
- October 26 : World premiere of the opera L'inganno felice by Gioacchino Rossini at the Teatro San Moisè in Venice
- November 24th : World premiere of the opera L'occasione fa il ladro by Gioacchino Rossini at the Teatro San Moisè in Venice
- On November 29 and December 3 in which it is Winter Riding School of the Vienna Hofburg , the Handel - Oratorio Timothy listed. The proceeds from the two concerts are intended to benefit the Society of Friends of Music in Vienna , newly founded by Joseph Sonnleithner .
- April 15th : Foundation of the Löwen-Apotheke (Lübeck) during the Lübeck French period .
- August 22nd : The Swiss Jean Louis Burckhardt , disguised as an Arab, rediscovers the rock city of Petra in the Middle East , which is only rumored in Europe .
- January 23 and February 27 : aftershocks of the New Madrid earthquake of 1811
- August 31 : When the Spanish troop carrier Salvador ran aground in the estuary of the Río de la Plata , 470 of the 600 people on board died. It is the worst shipping accident in the history of Uruguay . The Salvador was on the way to Montevideo , where the soldiers on it were supposed to put down an uprising against Spanish colonial rule.
Historical maps and views
- January 2 : Augustus C. Dodge , American politician († 1883 )
- January 3 : Elisha M. Pease , American politician († 1883 )
- January 5 : Carl Damm , Catholic priest and politician († 1886 )
- January 6th : Melchora Aquino , Filipino revolutionary († 1919 )
- January 6th : Karl Etzel , German railway engineer and architect († 1865 )
- January 6 : Knud Knudsen , Norwegian linguist and language reformer († 1895 )
- January 7th : Salomon Fehrenbach , lawyer, local poet and politician († 1892 )
- January 9 : Eduard van der Nüll , Austrian architect († 1868 )
- January 10 : Joshua Hill , American politician († 1891 )
- January 10 : Leonhard Zeugheer , Swiss architect († 1866 )
- January 13 : Victor de Laprade , French poet († 1883 )
- January 14 : Karl Graedener , German composer († 1883 )
- January 15 : Wilhelm von Abbema , German painter, engraver and etcher († 1889 )
- January 15 : Peter Christen Asbjørnsen , Norwegian writer and fairy tale collector († 1885 )
- January 17 : Ludwig Windthorst , German politician († 1891 )
- January 20 : Édouard Séguin , French doctor and educator († 1880 )
- January 29 : Heinrich Fischer , Mayor of Wiesbaden († 1883 )
- February 4 : Nicolaus Zink , German-American civil engineer and farmer († 1887 )
- February 5 : Georges-Charles de Heeckeren d'Anthès , French officer and politician († 1895 )
- February 7 : Charles Dickens , English writer († 1870 )
- February 11 : Thomas W. Bartley , American politician († 1885 )
- February 11 : Alexander Hamilton Stephens , American politician († 1883 )
- February 15 : Charles Lewis Tiffany , American jeweler († 1902 )
- February 16 : Henry Wilson , American politician († 1875 )
- February 17 : Eliakim Persons Walton , American politician († 1890 )
- February 17 : Daniel B. Wright , American politician († 1887 )
- February 18 : Wilhelm Rütter , organ builder († 1887 )
- February 19 : Zygmunt Krasiński , Polish poet and playwright († 1859 )
- February 19 : Lauro Rossi , Italian composer († 1885 )
- February 20 : Ludwig Steub , German writer († 1888 )
- February 21 : Franz Joseph Aufschläger , German clergyman († 1877 )
- February 22nd : John B. Weller , American politician († 1875 )
- February 23 : Fischel Arnheim , German politician and lawyer († 1864 )
- February 24 : Nathan A. Farwell , American politician († 1893 )
- February 27 : Pieter Harting , Dutch physician, geologist, hydrologist and botanist († 1885 )
- February 28 : Berthold Auerbach , German writer († 1882 )
- March 1 : Latimer Whipple Ballou , American politician († 1900 )
- March 3 : Ernst Friedrich Apelt , philosophical writer († 1859 )
- March 6 : Aaron Lufkin Dennison , American entrepreneur († 1895 )
- March 6 : Bruno Hildebrand , German economist and politician († 1878 )
- March 8 : Henry T. Ellett , American politician († 1887 )
- March 10 : Jean-Baptiste Farochon , French medalist and sculptor († 1871 )
- March 11 : James Speed , American lawyer and politician († 1887 )
- March 12 : Isaac P. Christiancy , American lawyer and politician († 1890 )
- March 13 : James E. English , American politician († 1890 )
- March 15 : James Hopkins Adams , American politician († 1861 )
- March 21 : Bethuel Kitchen , American politician († 1895 )
- April 1 : Friedrich Güll , German poet († 1879 )
- April 4 : Giuseppe Gebler , Romanian-German composer († around 1879)
- April 4 : Theodor Schönemann , German mathematician († 1868 )
- April 6 : Aaron Bernstein , German writer († 1884 )
- April 6 : Alexander Herzen , Russian philosopher, writer, publicist († 1870 )
- April 6 : Gawriil Lomakin , Russian composer († 1885 )
- April 12 : Samuel F. Hersey , American politician († 1875 )
- April 12 : Hermann Hunaeus , German architect († 1893 )
- April 12 : Alexander von Villers , Austrian writer and diplomat († 1880 )
- April 13 : Eduard Feodor Gloeckner , lawyer and honorary citizen of Wittenberg († 1885 )
- April 13 : Rudolph Siebeck , designer of the Rose Valley in Leipzig, hortologist († 1878 )
- April 14 : George Edward Gray , British politician († 1898 )
- April 15 : Théodore Rousseau , French painter († 1867 )
- April 18 : Carl Ferdinand von Arlt , Austrian surgeon and ophthalmologist († 1887 )
- April 19 : Joachim Marquardt , German high school teacher and historian († 1882 )
- April 20 : Paul Ackermann , French linguist and writer († 1846 )
- April 22 : Hermann Wasserschleben , German legal historian († 1893 )
- April 23 : Frederick Whitaker , Prime Minister of New Zealand († 1891 )
- April 23 : Anton Lutterbeck , German Catholic theologian and classical philologist († 1882 )
- April 26 : Alfred Krupp , German inventor and industrialist († 1887 )
- April 27 : Friedrich von Flotow , German opera composer († 1883 )
- April 30th : Kaspar Hauser , foundling of unknown origin († 1833 )
- May 1 : Nathan Fellows Dixon , American politician († 1881 )
- May 7 : Pompejus Bolley , German chemist († 1870 )
- May 7 : Robert Browning , English poet and playwright. († 1889 )
- May 12 : Hermann Martin Asmuss , German zoologist and paleontologist († 1859 )
- May 12 : Peter Hansborough Bell , American politician († 1898 )
- May 12 : Edward Lear , British painter, illustrator and writer († 1888 )
- May 12 : Lorenzo Nina , Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1885 )
- May 14 : Emilie Mayer , German composer († 1883 )
- May 17 : Elias Nelson Conway , American politician († 1892 )
- May 17 : Johann Eduard Wappäus , German geographer and statistician († 1879 )
- May 18 : Francisco Coll , founder of the Spanish order and Roman Catholic blessed († 1875 )
- May 18 : Konrad Martin , Bishop of Paderborn († 1879 )
- May 20 : Gustaf Adolf Mankell , Swedish organist and composer († 1880 )
- May 22 : Gawriil Konstantinowitsch Aiwasowski , Russian orientalist († 1879 )
- May 22 : Theodor Bergk , German classical philologist († 1881 )
- May 26 : Otfried Hans von Meusebach , German-American farmer, botanist and senator († 1897 )
- May 26 : Johann Adolf Karl van Heusde , Dutch philologist and literary scholar († 1878 )
- June 9 : Johann Gottfried Galle , German astronomer († 1910 )
- June 9 : Gustav Albert Wegmann , Swiss architect († 1858 )
- June 13 : Paolo Emiliani Giudici , Italian literary historian and literary scholar († 1872 )
- June 14 : Wilhelm Floto , German comedy poet († 1869 )
- June 15 : Johann Andreas Deneys , German sculptor († 1864 )
- June 18 : Ivan Alexandrowitsch Goncharov , Russian writer († 1891 )
- June 21 : Félix Danjou , French organist, composer and musicologist († 1866 )
- June 26 : Woldemar von Glasenapp , Russian Vice Admiral († 1895 )
- July 1 : Ferdinand Eckbrecht von Dürckheim-Montmartin , French lawyer († 1891 )
- July 5 : James Clarke , American politician († 1850 )
- July 5 : Adelbert von Keller , German Germanist and Romanist († 1883 )
- July 6 : Miguel Lerdo de Tejada , Mexican politician († 1861 )
- July 12 : Mirzə Fətəli Axundov , Azerbaijani enlightener, writer, philosopher and literary critic († 1878 )
- July 15 : Benno Adam , German animal painter († 1892 )
- July 15 : Emil von Sydow , German officer, geographer and cartographer († 1873 )
- July 19 : Thomas Samuel Ashe , American politician († 1887 )
- July 22nd : August von Fürth , German legal historian († 1846 )
- July 22nd : Heinrich Albert Oppermann , German writer († 1870 )
- July 25 : Robert Christian Avé-Lallemant , German doctor († 1884 )
- July 27 : Carl zu Solms-Braunfels , German officer and founder of the settlement († 1875 )
- July 28 : Józef Ignacy Kraszewski , Polish writer († 1887 )
- July 31 : Amélie von Leuchtenberg , Empress of Brazil († 1873 )
- July 31 : Gottlieb Theodor Becker , German educator († 1869 )
- July 31 : Ludwig Blenker , American general, participant in March Revolution 1848 († 1863 )
- August 1 : Rudolph Apponyi von Nagy-Appony , Austro-Hungarian diplomat († 1876 )
- August 1 : Ludwig Wilhelm , Prince of Bentheim and Steinfurt († 1890 )
- August 9 : Victor von Bruns , German surgeon († 1883 )
- August 12 : Samuel Stehman Haldeman , American scientist and linguist († 1880 )
- August 13 : Carl Rahl , painter and son of the engraver Karl Heinrich Rahl († 1865 )
- August 20 : Green Adams , American politician († 1884 )
- August 26 : Ludwig Achenbach , lawyer and politician from Baden († 1879 )
- August 28 : Rudolf von Alt , Austrian landscape and architecture painter († 1905 )
- August 31 : Enno von Colomb , Prussian general and son of Ferdinand August von Colomb († 1886 )
- September 8 : Natalja Nikolajewna Pushkina-Lanskaja , wife of the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin († 1863 )
- September 18 : Herschel Johnson , American politician († 1880 )
- September 23 : Otto Fridolin Fritzsche , German theologian († 1896 )
- September 24 : William Nathan Harrell Smith , American politician († 1889 )
- September 25 : Karl Biedermann , German politician and professor († 1901 )
- September 26 : Wilhelm Adolf Schmidt , German historian († 1887 )
- September 29 : Nathaniel B. Durfee , American politician († 1872 )
- October 1 : Stephen P. Hempstead , American politician († 1883 )
- October 5 : Otto Beneke , German archivist and writer († 1891 )
- October 12 : Otto von Corvin , German writer († 1886 )
- October 12 : Ascanio Sobrero , Italian chemist († 1888 )
- October 13 : Franz Rieger , master organ builder and company founder († 1885 )
- October 14 : Carl Christoffer Georg Andræ , Danish politician († 1893 )
- October 14 : Karl Theodor Bayrhoffer , professor of philosophy and free thinker († 1888 )
- October 16 : Maria von Mörl , South Tyrolean mystic († 1868 )
- October 21 : David H. Armstrong , American politician († 1893 )
- October 21 : Otto von Camphausen , Prussian Finance Minister († 1896 )
- October 25 : Frédéric Godet , Swiss theologian († 1900 )
- October 25 : Franz Heinrich Kleinschmidt , German Protestant missionary († 1864 )
- October 28 : Cirilo Villaverde , Cuban poet († 1894 )
- October 29 : Maximilian Karl Lamoral O'Donnell , Austro-Hungarian Chamberlain and Lieutenant Field Marshal († 1895 )
- October 30 : Karl Emanuel Klitzsch , German organist, composer and music writer († 1889 )
- November 1 : Frerich Bohlken , figure of the first generation of the northwest German Baptist congregations († 1871 )
- November 4 : Richard M. Bishop , American politician († 1893 )
- November 7 : Benjamin D. Nabers , American politician († 1878 )
- November 9 : Paul Abadie , French builder and restorer († 1884 )
- November 9 : Marcus Lawrence Ward , American politician († 1884 )
- November 13 : Edwin Godwin Reade , American politician († 1894 )
- November 15 : Achille Apolloni , Italian cardinal († 1893 )
- November 17 : Peter Wilhelm Friedrich von Voigtländer , German-Austrian entrepreneur, optician and photography pioneer († 1878 )
- November 18 : Hermann Albert Daniel , German geographic writer († 1871 )
- November 19 : Adalbert Kuhn , German Indo-Europeanist and mythologist († 1881 )
- November 19 : Karl Schwarz , German theologian († 1885 )
- November 21 : Julius von Groß , Prussian general of the infantry († 1881 )
- November 23 : George Rawlinson , British historian and clergyman of the Church of England († 1902 )
- November 23 : Johann Hermann Sanning , German-American builder († 1880 )
- November 24th : Friedrich von Bianchi , Austrian general († 1865 )
- November 28 : Ludvig Mathias Lindeman , Norwegian composer († 1887 )
- November 30 : Shelton Leake , American politician († 1884 )
- December 12 : John Sandfield Macdonald , Canadian politician († 1872 )
- December 14 : Charles John Canning , British statesman († 1862 )
- December 14 : Isidor Dannström , Swedish composer († 1897 )
- December 18 : Jesse D. Bright , American politician († 1875 )
- December 18 : Wiktor Każyński , Polish composer († 1867 )
- December 22 : Bannon Goforth Thibodeaux , American politician († 1866 )
- December 26 : Wilhelm Volckmar , German organ virtuoso and composer († 1887 )
- December 28 : Ernst Wilhelm Johannes Gäbler , German entrepreneur, politician († 1876 )
- December 28 : Julius Rietz , German conductor, composition teacher and composer († 1877 )
- December 31 : Johann Bast , German-American architect († 1880 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- William Fox , Prime Minister of New Zealand († 1893 )
- Francesc Daniel Molina i Casamajó , Catalan architect († 1867 )
- Auguste Nicolas Eugène Millon , French chemist († 1867 )
- William King Sebastian , American politician († 1865 )
- Bernhard Solger , architect and municipal building officer of Nuremberg († 1889 )
- Hans Friedrich Georg Julius Sudendorf , German historian and state archivist († 1879 )
- Tachibana Akemi , Japanese poet († 1868 )
First half of the year
- January 4th : Tommaso Antici , Roman Catholic Cardinal (* 1731 )
- January 23 : Robert Craufurd , British general (* 1764 )
- February 7th : Aegidius Maria of Saint Joseph , Italian Franciscan and saint (* 1729 )
- February 8 : Friedrich Arnold Wilhelm Adolf Carl Arndts , German lawyer (* 1753 )
- February 9 : Franz Anton Hoffmeister , German composer (* 1754 )
- February 23 : Louis Malus , French engineer and physicist (* 1775 )
- February 28 : Johann Wilhelm von Archenholz , Prussian historian and publicist (* 1741 )
- March 7th : Murata Harumi , Japanese poet and Kokugaku scholar (* 1746 )
- March 11th : Philipp Jakob Loutherbourg the Younger , British-French painter, etcher and aquatint engraver (* 1740 )
- March 12th : Johann Jakob Griesbach , professor for the New Testament in Jena (* 1745 )
- March 13 : Johannes le Francq van Berkhey , Dutch naturalist, poet and painter (* 1729 )
- March 20 : Johann Ladislaus Dussek , Czech pianist and composer (* 1760 )
- March 29 : Ludwig Christian Lichtenberg , civil servant and scientist (* 1737 )
- March 30th : Gunning Bedford, Jr. , American politician and lawyer and one of the founding fathers of the USA (* 1747 )
- April 1 : Laurenz Janscha , Austrian-Slovenian painter and etcher (* 1749 )
- April 7th : Johann Georg Kerner , doctor, political publicist, chronicler of the French Revolution (* 1770 )
- April 10 : Carl Christian Erhard Schmid , German Protestant theologian and philosopher (* 1761 )
- April 12 : Johann Franz Brockmann , Austrian actor (* 1745 )
- April 20 : George Clinton , American politician, Vice President of the USA (* 1739 )
- May 5th : August Christian Friedrich , Duke of Anhalt-Köthen (* 1769 )
- May 5th : Nivard Schlimbach , German Cistercian abbot (* 1747 )
- May 7 : Gottlieb Schick , German classicist painter (* 1776 )
- May 11 : Spencer Perceval , British politician and Prime Minister (* 1762 )
- May 13 : Johannes Matthias Sperger , Austrian composer (* 1750 )
- May 18 : John Bellingham , British assassin (* 1770 )
- May 21 : Joseph Wölfl , Austrian pianist and composer (* 1773 )
- May 23 : Louis Dutens , French writer (* 1730 )
- June 1st : Miguel de la Grúa Talamanca y Branciforte , Spanish colonial administrator and viceroy of New Spain (* 1750 )
- June 16 : Franz Pforr , German Romantic painter (* 1788 )
- June 21 : Johann Friedrich August Tischbein , German (family portrait) painter (* 1750 )
Second half of the year
- July 2 : Peter Gansevoort , American general (* 1749 )
- July 10 : Carl Ludwig Willdenow , German botanist (* 1765 )
- July 14 : Christian Gottlob Heyne , German Professor of Classical Studies (* 1729 )
- June 16 : Franz Pforr , German painter (* 1788 )
- July 23 : August Gottlieb Richter , German surgeon (* 1742 )
- July 24th : Joseph Schuster , German opera composer (* 1748 )
- July 27th : Wolfgang Moritz von Prittwitz , Prussian Lieutenant General (* 1731 )
- July 27th : Clemens Wenzeslaus of Saxony , last elector of Trier (* 1739 )
- August 1 : Jakow Petrovich Kulnew , Russian commander (* 1763 )
- August 18 : Jean-Joseph Rodolphe , Alsatian horn player, violinist, composer and music teacher (* 1730 )
- August 18 : Johann August Weppen , German civil servant and writer (* 1741 )
- August 19 : Vincenzo Righini , Italian composer (* 1756 )
- August 20 : Johann Daniel Salzmann , Strasbourg lawyer and popular philosopher (* 1722 )
- August 23 : Bernhard Erasmus von Deroy , Bavarian general (* 1743 )
- August 30 : Gabriel-Marie Legouvé , French writer, translator and dramaturge (* 1764 )
- August 30th : George Mathews , American politician (* 1739 )
- September 6 : Franz Volkmar Reinhard , Protestant theologian (* 1753 )
- September 19 : Mayer Amschel Rothschild , banker and founder of the dynasty (* 1744 )
- September 21 : Emanuel Schikaneder , actor, director and theater director (* 1751 )
- September 24th : Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration , Russian general and general (* 1765 )
- October 3 : Pierre Dallery , French organ builder (* 1735 )
- October 13 : Arnold Ignaz Ernst Ferdinand Cajetan Theodor , German writer and organist (* 1774 )
- October 13 : Isaac Brock , British general (* 1769 )
- October 29 : Claude François de Malet , French general (* 1754 )
- November 1 : Laurent-Benoît Dewez , architect of the Austrian Netherlands (* 1731 )
- November 7th : Matwei Fyodorowitsch Kazakow , Russian architect (* 1738 )
- November 16 : John Walter (the elder) , founder of the magazine "The Times" (* 1739 )
- December 11 : Petrus Abresch , Dutch Reformed theologian (* 1736 )
- December 12th : Stanisław Trembecki , Polish poet (* 1739 )
- December 13th : Marianna Martines , Austrian composer, harpsichordist and singer (* 1744 )
- December 19 : Konrad Wilhelm Ledderhose , German lawyer (* 1751 )
- December 22nd : Sacajawea , Shoshone Indian, member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (* 1788 )
- December 27th : Georg , Duke of Oldenburg (* 1784 )
- December 27 : Shneur Zalman von Liadi, founder of Chabad Hasidism (* 1745 )
- Michel Joseph Gebauer , French composer, professor and oboist (* 1765 ) December:
Exact date of death unknown
- Johannes Äbersold , Swiss cabinet maker (* 1737)
- Arslan Mehmed-paša , Grand Governor of the Paschalik Bosnia (* 1745 )