Johann Friedrich August Tischbein
Johann Friedrich August Tischbein (born March 9, 1750 in Maastricht ; † June 21, 1812 in Heidelberg ), the so-called "Leipziger Tischbein", was a German painter . He was best known for his family portraits and was one of the most important representatives of the second generation of the Tischbein family of artists .
Johann Friedrich August Tischbein was the son of the theater painter Johann Valentin Tischbein , from whom he also received his first artistic lessons. The "Goethe-Tischbein", the painter Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein , was his cousin.
Around 1768 Tischbein moved to Kassel in the studio of his uncle, the painter Johann Heinrich Tischbein ("the elder", also "Kasseler Tischbein", 1722–1789), where he was accepted into the Masonic lodge Zum krönten Löwen , to which his uncle also belonged . After a long journey through France and a study visit to Paris , where he became the pupil of Johann Georg Wille from 1772 , Tischbein undertook an extended trip to Rome and Naples from 1777 . There he befriended Jacques Louis David and Anton Raphael Mengs , among others, and also worked with them. In the middle of 1780 Tischbein returned to Germany.
In the same year he got a job as court painter at the court of Prince Friedrich von Waldeck in Arolsen and shortly afterwards the Prince appointed Tischbein as councilor and cabinet painter . In the years 1781/82, as well as 1786 and 1788/89, Tischbein repeatedly undertook study trips to Holland , some of which he was also commissioned by his employer. Over time, these journeys led to the development of a portraitist for a strengthened bourgeois society. The purely court painter of an absolutist court had had its day.
In 1795 Prince Leopold III engaged him . Friedrich Franz von Anhalt-Dessau went to Dessau , but in the following year Tischbein went to Berlin and worked there with great success. From 1799 to 1800, Tischbein made portraits in Dresden and was able to increase his success even further. 1800 was entrusted table leg, in place of Adam Friedrich Oeser , with the leadership of the Academy of Art to Leipzig .
In 1803 he painted the 205.8 cm high painting of Amalie von Levetzow, born Brösigke , which can be seen today in the Goethe House in Frankfurt am Main. In 1805 he painted Wilhelmine Rummel with daughter.
In 1806 Tischbein went to Saint Petersburg to take care of the estate of his brother Ludwig Philipp Tischbein . On the spur of the moment, he stayed for almost three years to carry out extremely lucrative jobs. Several portraits of members of the Russian high nobility were made there. The Englishmen Thomas Gainsborough and George Romney were great role models for Tischbein, especially when it came to depicting women .
Tischbein was the father of the draftsman Caroline Tischbein (1783–1843), who married the historian Friedrich Wilken , and of the court painter Carl Wilhelm Tischbein (1797–1855). Johann Friedrich August Tischbein died in Heidelberg on June 21, 1812 at the age of 62.
- Edmond Michel: Etude biographique sur les Tischbein, peintres allemands du 18me siècle. Lyon 1881.
- Karin Schrader: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 26, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-428-11207-5 , p. 302 f. ( ). In:
- Adolf Stoll: The painter Johann Friedrich August Tischbein and his family. A picture of life based on the notes of his daughter Caroline. Strecker & Schröder, Stuttgart 1923, urn : nbn: de: hbz: 466: 1-43628 (with catalog raisonné ).
- Hans Vollmer: Tischbein, Friedrich (Joh. Fr. August) . In: Hans Vollmer (Hrsg.): General lexicon of fine artists from antiquity to the present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 33 : Theodotos vacation . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1939, p. 207-209 .
- Literature by and about Johann Friedrich August Tischbein in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by Johann Friedrich August Tischbein at Zeno.org .
- Tischbein's paintings and oil sketches in the Old Masters Picture Gallery, Kassel
- Tischbein, Johann Friedrich August. Hessian biography. (As of August 2, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- size information
- Karl & Faber auction, Munich November 2015.
|SURNAME||Tischbein, Johann Friedrich August|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German (family portrait) painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 9, 1750|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Maastricht|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 21, 1812|
|Place of death||Heidelberg|