Calendar overview 1815
Battle of Waterloo
, Napoleon's rule of the 100 days ends .
Congress of Vienna
|1815 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1263/64 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1807/08 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1220/21 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2358/59 (southern Buddhism); 2357/58 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1177/78 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4148/49 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1230/1231 (turn of the year 2/3 December)|
|Jewish calendar||5575/76 (October 4th / 5th)|
|Coptic calendar||1531/32 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2125/26 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2126/27 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1871/72 (April)|
Politics and world events
Napoleonic Wars and Congress of Vienna
- February 26th : Napoleon Bonaparte leaves Elba . The reign of the hundred days begins.
- March 1 : Having escaped exile on Elba, Napoleon Bonaparte lands with around 1,000 men near Cannes to make his way to Paris.
- April 5 : Prussia takes possession of the occupied Rhineland by decree.
- April 30th : Friedrich Wilhelm III. decrees the division of Prussia into ten provinces at the Congress of Vienna .
- May 2nd / 3rd : In the Battle of Tolentino , the decisive battle in the Austro-Neapolitan War between the Napoleonic Kingdom of Naples , ruled by Joachim Murat , and the Austrian Empire , the Austrians under Vinzenz Ferrerius von Bianchi and Johann Friedrich von Mohr are victorious .
- May 3 : Austria, Prussia and Russia contractually establish the Republic of Krakow .
- May 20 : With the Treaty of Casa Lanza is Two Sicilies under the reign of Ferdinand I. built.
- May 22nd : The Saxon King Friedrich August I renounces the Duchy of Warsaw and releases the Polish subjects from their oath of allegiance. As an ally of Napoleon Bonaparte, the king is on the losing side after the Wars of Liberation .
- June 9 : The Congress of Vienna , at which Europe was politically reorganized, ends with the signing of the Congress Act. The Pope as head of the Papal States and Spain reject the substantive determinations made therein. Brazil becomes an independent kingdom linked to Portugal only by a personal union.
- June 9 : In northern Italy, the Act of Congress of Vienna creates the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia , whose king becomes the respective emperor of Austria in personal union . It follows the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy , whose laws continue to apply.
- June 12th : The Urburschenschaft , the first German fraternity , is founded in Jena .
- June 15 : The Duchess of Richmond's ball will take place on the eve of the Battle of Quatre Bras instead
- June 16 : In Belgium, Napoleon wins his last victory in the battle of Ligny .
- June 18 : Battle of Waterloo . Napoleon is finally defeated.
- June 19th : One day after the Battle of Waterloo , the last battle of the Napoleonic Wars ends with the Battle of Wavre . Although the French won a tactical victory, the defeated Prussian units strategically prevented a possible intervention by the French in Waterloo.
- June 22nd : Napoleon finally abdicates and is banished to the island of St. Helena .
- August 7th : In Switzerland the federal treaty finally comes into force.
- August 8th : Napoleon Bonaparte and his companions board the ship that will take them to the exile St. Helena .
- September 26th : Foundation of the Holy Alliance .
- October 13 : The Bourbon ruler Ferdinand IV of Sicily had Joachim Murat , his predecessor as King of Naples , Napoleon Bonaparte's brother-in-law, shot dead.
- November 20 : Second Paris Peace with Prussia, the Austrian Empire , Russia and Great Britain .
- December 7th : The French Marshal Michel Ney , sentenced to death for high treason, gives his firing squad the order to fire.
- Luxembourg is elevated to the Grand Duchy.
- Recognition of Switzerland's perpetual neutrality and entry of the cantons of Geneva , Neuchâtel and Valais into the Swiss Confederation .
- Denmark is awarded the Duchy of Lauenburg .
Other events worldwide
- January 8 : US militiamen under Andrew Jackson defeat a British invading army under Sir Edward Michael Pakenham in the Battle of New Orleans . This ended the so-called "War of 1812" .
- January 15 : The War of 1812 four British succeed warships the capture of the USS President , a heavy frigate of the United States Navy .
- April 23 : Beginning of the second Serbian uprising with Miloš Obrenović against the Turks .
- December 16 : The previous Portuguese colony of Brazil is declared a kingdom and thus equated with the mother country Portugal and the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarve is founded. The Brazilian independence movement has thus reached an important milestone.
- The governor of Algiers declares war on the USA ( Second Barbarian War ).
- Abolition of serfdom in Estonia .
- February 3 : In Switzerland , the commercial cheese processing begins by the newly founded cooperative village cheese dairy in Kiesen .
science and technology
- July 30th : The Russian brig Rurik leaves Kronstadt for a three-year circumnavigation of the world under the command of Otto von Kotzebue . On board are the poet and naturalist Adelbert von Chamisso and the draftsman Ludwig Choris as well as the naturalists Johann Friedrich Eschscholtz and Morten Wormskjold . The aim of the expedition, which was equipped and financed with the benevolent support of Tsar Alexander I by the Russian Count Nikolai Petrovich Rumjanzew , is primarily the discovery and exploration of the Northwest Passage . After an initial short stay in Copenhagen , the journey continues to Plymouth to prepare for the long Atlantic crossing. A stay of several days in Tenerife enables naturalists to explore a world that is new to them. The Rurik finally reached the island of Santa Catarina off Brazil on December 12th and docks at Florianópolis . The expedition will eventually reach the Pacific via Cape Horn .
- July 31 : The boiler of the experimental Mechanical Traveler steam locomotive explodes in Philadelphia, County Durham , UK . 16 bystanders die. This accident is the oldest known boiler crash of a locomotive and to this day the one with the highest number of deaths.
- November 6th : The Imperial and Royal Polytechnic Institute , today's Vienna University of Technology , opens in Vienna . Johann Joseph von Prechtl becomes the first director .
- March 2nd : The world premiere of the comic opera The Princess of Cacambo by Peter Joseph von Lindpaintner takes place in Munich.
- November 30th : The world premiere of the opera Der Herr und seine Diener by Conradin Kreutzer takes place in Stuttgart.
- December 25th : In Vienna, Ludwig van Beethoven's cantata Meeresstille und Glückige Fahrt , the setting of two poems by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe , is premiered in a benefit concert for the Bürgerspitalfond. Beethoven's oratorio Christ on the Mount of Olives will also be heard at this concert .
- December 26th : The rescue opera Torvaldo e Dorliska by Gioachino Rossini on a libretto by Cesare Sterbini is premiered as the opening premiere of the carnival season in Rome in the small Teatro Valle . Despite the excellent cast, the opera achieved only moderate success with Filippo Galli, among others .
- January 2 : The poet Lord Byron marries Anne Isabella Milbanke in Seaham, Northern England , in order to cover up his relationship with his half-sister Augusta .
- June 12 : History of student organizations : The inn Green fir establish Jena students Urburschenschaft .
- September 25th : The Evangelical Mission Society Basel is founded by Christian Friedrich Spittler and Nikolaus von Brunn as a subsidiary of the German Christianity Society .
- November 3 : Almost three centuries after its creation, the persecution of the Swiss Anabaptists because of their faith ends with the Edict of Tolerance .
- April 5 : The eruption of the Tambora volcano on the island of Sumbawa in Indonesia begins with a first eruption. Others, in particular the strongest outbreak on April 10 , lead to a total of around 100,000 deaths. The Tambora eruption is the largest ever observed eruption. The action releases large amounts of ash. The ash deposits reach a radius of 1,300 kilometers, darken the sky almost completely for two days within a radius of up to 600 kilometers, and in the following year cause a volcanic winter in the northern hemisphere , which causes famine in Europe, the so-called " year without summer ".
- May 30 : The British ship Arniston runs near Waenhuiskrans in a strong storm on a reef off Cape Agulhas in South Africa . Six people manage to reach the shore, 372 die when the ship goes down.
- July 31 : The boiler of the experimental steam locomotive Brunton's Mechanical Traveler explodes in Philadelphia, England . Depending on the source, between 13 and 16 people are killed.
- January 6 : Florus Conrad Auffarth , Prussian administrative officer († 1877 )
- January 6 : Julius Pintsch , German entrepreneur († 1884 )
- January 9 : Reinhard Sebastian Zimmermann , German painter († 1893 )
- January 10 : John Macdonald , Prime Minister of Canada († 1891 )
- January 13 : Johann von Dumreicher , Austrian doctor and surgeon († 1880 )
- January 13 : Ernst Elias Niebergall , German writer († 1843 )
- January 15 : Alexander Franz Wilhelm Lincke , German lawyer and politician († 1864 )
- January 16 : Lemuel J. Bowden , American politician († 1864 )
- January 16 : Henry Wager Halleck , American general († 1872 )
- January 17 : Mehmed Fuad Pascha , Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire († 1869 )
- January 17 : Max Preßler , German engineer, forest scientist, inventor and economist († 1886 )
- January 18 : James Chesnut, Jr. , American general († 1885 )
- January 18 : Konstantin von Tischendorf , German researcher († 1874 )
- January 21 : Josephine Koch , nun and founder of the order († 1899 )
- January 21 : Horace Wells , American dentist († 1848 )
- January 22nd : Karl Volkmar Stoy , German educator († 1885 )
- January 27 : Peter Joseph Ruppen , chronicler and Canon († 1896 )
- January 28 : Andrew J. Hamilton , American politician († 1875 )
- February 4 : Josip Juraj Strossmayer , Croatian politician and Catholic theologian († 1905 )
- February 9 : Raffaele Cadorna , Italian general († 1897 )
- February 10 : Meir Auerbach , Russian scholar, rabbi and chief rabbi († 1878 )
- February 11 : John Appleton , American politician († 1864 )
- February 15 : Gustav Biedermann , German-Bohemian doctor and philosophical writer († 1890 )
- February 16 : Ottokar Maria Graf von Attems , Austrian Prince-Bishop († 1867 )
- February 16 : Hermann Goedsche , German writer († 1878 )
- February 16 : Friedrich Hermann Lütkemüller , German organ builder († 1897 )
- February 16 : John Retcliffe , German writer († 1878 )
- February 18 : Ferdinand Adolph Lange , watchmaker and entrepreneur († 1875 )
- February 21 : Joseph Glover Baldwin , American writer, politician and lawyer († 1864 )
- February 23 : Franz Antoine , Austrian botanist († 1886 )
- February 23 : Joséphin Soulary , French poet († 1891 )
- February 27 : Franz Pfeiffer , German Germanist († 1868 )
- February 27 : Jacob Wiener , engraver of coins, medals and postage stamps active in Brussels († 1899 )
- February 28 : Andreas Gottschalk , German doctor († 1849 )
- March 1 : Benjamin Conley , American politician († 1886 )
- March 2 : Jakob Dont , Austrian violinist, violin teacher and composer († 1888 )
- March 8 : Jean-Delphin Alard , French violinist and composer († 1888 )
- March 8 : Hermann Wagener , editor-in-chief, Prussian ministerial official and politician († 1889 )
- March 12 : Justus Bostelmann , German farmer, merchant and member of the Reichstag († 1889 )
- March 12 : Robert Marcellus Stewart , American politician († 1871 )
- March 14 : Adolf Ellissen , German politician, philologist and literary historian († 1872 )
- March 17 : Christian Wilhelm Bernhardt , German educator and local history researcher († 1891 )
- March 22nd : Franz Folliot de Crenneville , Austrian general († 1888 )
- March 24 : Rosa Molas y Vallvé , Roman Catholic saint († 1876 )
- March 26 : Gustav von Rümelin , German educator, statistician and politician († 1889 )
- March 27 : William Russell Smith , American politician († 1896 )
- March 29 : Hagiwara Hiromichi , Japanese poet, writer, translator and representative of the Kokugaku († 1863 )
- March 30 : Hermann von Schmid , German writer († 1880 )
- April 1 : Edward Clark , American politician and governor of Texas († 1880 )
- April 1 : Henry B. Anthony , American politician and governor of Rhode Island († 1884 )
- April 1 : Otto von Bismarck , German politician and first Chancellor of the German Empire († 1898 )
- April 2 : Esprit Espinasse , French general († 1859 )
- April 5 : Louis Chollet , French organist and composer († 1851 )
- April 6 : Robert Volkmann , German composer († 1883 )
- April 8 : Andrew Graham , Irish astronomer († 1908 )
- April 11 : Friedrich Wilhelm Schwarz , founder of the Apostolic Zending and New Apostolic Church († 1895 )
- April 13 : Robert Theodor Heyne , German Appellate Councilor († 1848 )
- April 14 : Gregor Ata , Lebanese Archbishop († 1899 )
- April 14 : Rudolf von Raumer , German Germanist († 1876 )
- April 17 : Hartvig Nissen , Norwegian school reformer († 1874 )
- April 18 : Beriah Magoffin , American politician († 1885 )
- April 22nd : Wilhelm Peters , German naturalist, zoologist, anatomist and explorer († 1883 )
- April 25 : Joseph Behm , Hungarian-German church musician and composer († 1885 )
- April 28 : Karl von Blaas , Austrian painter († 1894 )
- May 4 : Delina Filkins , Supercentenarian and oldest person in the world between 1926 and 1980 († 1928 )
- May 4 : Franz Adam , German battle and horse painter and lithographer († 1886 )
- May 6 : Eugène Marin Labiche , French comedy poet († 1888 )
- May 7 : Angelo Baroffio , Swiss lawyer and politician († 1893 )
- May 11 : Richard Ansdell , English painter († 1885 )
- May 11 : Granville George Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl Granville , British statesman, Foreign and Colonial Minister († 1891 )
- May 12 : Louis Jules Trochu , French general and President of the National Defense Council during the first weeks of the siege of Paris († 1896 )
- May 18 : James B. Francis , British-American engineer and inventor († 1892 )
- May 19 : John Gross Barnard , American military engineer († 1882 )
- May 20 : Alojz Ipavec , Slovenian composer († 1849 )
- May 20 : Barthélemy Menn , Swiss painter († 1893 )
- May 20 : Gustav von Mevissen , politician and entrepreneur († 1899 )
- May 21 : Adolf Böttger , German poet, playwright and translator († 1870 )
- May 21 : Caroline Botgorschek , Austrian opera singer († 1875 )
- May 25 : Giovanni Caselli , Italian physicist († 1891 )
- May 29 : Gove Saulsbury , American politician († 1881 )
- June 1 : Otto I , Greek King († 1867 )
- June 3 : Johann Joseph Oppel , German pedagogue, physicist and linguist († 1894 )
- June 7th : Gerhard Ahlhorn , German farmer and politician († 1906 )
- June 10 : Matthäus Friedrich Chemnitz , German songwriter († 1870 )
- June 11 : Julia Margaret Cameron , British photographer († 1879 )
- June 16 : Julius Schrader , German painter († 1900 )
- June 18 : Ludwig Samson Arthur von und zu der Tann-Rathsamhausen , Bavarian General († 1881 )
- June 18 : Maximilian Werner , Baden politician († 1875 )
- June 23 : Georg Wilhelm Volkhart , German painter († 1876 )
- June 23 : Robert Milligan McLane , American politician († 1898 )
- June 26 : Mariana Grajales , Cuban freedom fighter from the Wars of Independence († 1893 )
- June 28 : Robert Franz , German composer († 1892 )
- June 29 : Friedrich Albrecht zu Eulenburg , Prussian statesman († 1881 )
- July 1 : Daniel Straub , German metal goods manufacturer († 1889 )
- July 4 : Daniel Cornelius Danielssen , Norwegian doctor, zoologist and MP for Storting († 1894 )
- July 4th : Pawel Andrejewitsch Fedotow , Russian painter († 1852 )
- July 9 : Oran M. Roberts , American lawyer and 18th Governor of Texas († 1898 )
- July 17 : Thekla Knös , Swedish author, poet and translator († 1880 )
- July 22nd : Robert Eberle , German painter († 1860 )
- July 23 : André-Charles-Victor Reille , French general, adjutant general of Napoleon III. († 1887 )
- July 24 : Arnaud-Michel d'Abbadie , French geographer († 1893 )
- July 26 : Robert Remak , German zoologist, physiologist and neurologist († 1865 )
- July 30th : Herman Severin Løvenskiold , Norwegian composer († 1870 )
- August 1 : Richard Henry Dana, Jr. , American politician and writer († 1882 )
- August 2 : Adolf Friedrich von Schack , German poet, art and literary historian († 1894 )
- August 5 : Edward John Eyre , Australian explorer († 1901 )
- August 5 : Hermann Köchly , German classical philologist († 1876 )
- August 11 : Gottfried Kinkel , German theologian, writer and politician († 1882 )
- August 13 : Eduard von Regel , German gardener and botanist († 1892 )
- August 16 : Johannes Bosco , Italian priest and founder of the order († 1888 )
- August 18 : Alexander Theodor von Middendorff , Russian zoologist and explorer († 1894 )
- August 21 : Gustav-Adolf Hirn , French physicist († 1890 )
- September 1 : Ferdinand Jühlke , German teacher, author and gardener († 1893 )
- September 2 : Georg August Pritzel , German librarian and botanical writer († 1874 )
- September 4 : Mihály Mosonyi , Hungarian composer († 1870 )
- September 4 : Johannes Roth , German zoologist and explorer († 1858 )
- September 5 : Carl Wilhelm , German choir director († 1873 )
- September 7 : Howell Cobb , American politician († 1868 )
- September 7 : John McDouall Stuart , Australian explorer († 1866 )
- September 8 : Alexander Ramsey , American politician († 1903 )
- September 8 : Giuseppina Strepponi , Italian opera singer, interpreter and wife of Giuseppe Verdi († 1897 )
- September 9 : Johann Gottfried Piefke , Prussian military musician and composer († 1884 )
- September 12 : Louis René Tulasne , French botanist and mycologist († 1885 )
- September 17 : Halfdan Kjerulf , Norwegian composer († 1868 )
- September 19 : Tyree Harris Bell , Brigadier General of the Confederate Army in the Civil War († 1902 )
- September 19 : Edgar Cowan , American politician († 1885 )
- September 21 : Paul Rudolph von Bilguer , German chess master († 1840 )
- September 29 : Andreas Achenbach , German landscape painter († 1910 )
- October 3 : Georg Julius Andresen , German author, physician and hydrotherapist († 1882 )
- October 15 : Moritz Brosig , German composer and organist († 1887 )
- October 15 : Eduard von Wattenwyl , Swiss Protestant clergyman († 1890 )
- October 16 : Francis R. Lubbock , American politician and 9th Governor of Texas († 1905 )
- October 17 : Emanuel Geibel , German poet († 1884 )
- October 24 : Jules Moinaux , French librettist († 1896 )
- October 25 : Camillo Sivori , Italian composer and violinist († 1894 )
- October 28 : Franz Bernhard Schiller , sculptor († 1857 )
- October 29 : Ľudovít Štúr , Slovak philologist, writer and politician († 1856 )
- October 31 : Karl Weierstrass , German mathematician († 1897 )
- November 1 : Luke P. Poland , American politician († 1887 )
- November 2 : George Boole , English mathematician and philosopher († 1864 )
- November 11th : August Kappler , military, researcher and entrepreneur in Suriname († 1887 )
- November 12 : Elizabeth Cady Stanton , American civil and women's rights activist († 1902 )
- November 14 : Albert Wolff , German sculptor († 1892 )
- November 15 : Lorenz von Stein , constitutional law teacher and economist († 1890 )
- November 17 : Wilhelm Baumeister , Prussian officer and actor († 1875 )
- November 23 : William Dennison , American politician († 1882 )
- November 29 : Stephen Augustus Hurlbut , American politician, diplomat and commander († 1882 )
- November 30 : Isaac Newton Arnold , American politician († 1884 )
- December 10 : Ada Lovelace (née Byron), British mathematician († 1852 )
- December 12 : Édouard Jean Etienne Deligny , French general († 1902 )
- December 12 : Isabella Braun , German author of young adult books († 1886 )
- December 13 : Johann Gottfried Steffan , Swiss landscape painter († 1905 )
- December 15 : Garnett Bowditch Adrain , American politician († 1878 )
- December 15 : David Atwood , American politician († 1889 )
- December 18 : Egron Sellif Lundgren , Swedish painter and writer († 1875 )
- December 20 : James Legge , British sinologist and translator († 1897 )
- December 21 : Christian Friedrich Budenberg , entrepreneur († 1883 )
- December 21 : Thomas Couture , French painter († 1879 )
- December 22nd : Johann Jakob Bachofen , Swiss lawyer and archaeologist († 1887 )
- December 23 : Émile Félix Fleury , French general and diplomat († 1884 )
- December 23 : Ildefons Cerdà , Spanish city planner († 1876 )
- December 31 : George Gordon Meade , American general († 1872 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Thomas Jones Barker , English painter († 1882 )
- Hipolit Skimborowicz , Polish author, journalist and editor († 1880 )
- Paulina Wilkońska , Polish writer († 1875 )
First half of the year
- January 5 : Anton Wilhelm von L'Estocq , Prussian general (* 1738 )
- January 8 : Edward Michael Pakenham , British major general (* 1778 )
- January 15 : Emma Hamilton , English mistress of Admiral Horatio Nelson (* 1761 )
- January 21 : Matthias Claudius , German writer (* 1740 )
- January 26 : David von Wyss the Elder , Mayor of Zurich (* 1737 )
- January 28 : Anton Dreyssig , German musician (* 1774 )
- February 20 : Johann Christoph Georg Adler , lawyer (* 1758 )
- February 26th : Friedrich Josias von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld , Austrian general and field marshal (* 1737 )
- March 4th : Frances Abington , English actress (* 1737 )
- March 5 : Franz Anton Mesmer , German doctor, founder of mesmerism (* 1734 )
- April 26 : Carsten Niebuhr , German mathematician, cartographer and explorer (* 1733 )
- April 29 : Isaac von Sinclair , German diplomat and writer (* 1775 )
- May 6 : Georg Friedrich Fickert , German hymn poet and pastor (* 1758 )
- May 6 : Bernhard Stöger , German Catholic theologian, philosopher and educator (* 1757 )
- June 1 : Louis-Alexandre Berthier , French general and Marshal of France (* 1753 )
- June 1 : James Gillray , British cartoonist (born 1757 )
- June 2 : Friedrich Carl Arndt , German lawyer, city judge and mayor (* 1772 )
- June 16 : Friedrich Wilhelm , nominal Duke of Brunswick (* 1771 )
- June 17th : Hamidu Reis , Algerian corsair (* 1770 )
- June 18 : Guillaume Philibert Duhesme , French general (* 1766 )
- June 18 : Thomas Picton , British Lieutenant General, Governor of Trinidad (* 1758 )
- June 18 : William Ponsonby , British major general (* 1772 )
- June 29 : Christian Friedrich Schwan , German publisher and bookseller (* 1733 )
Second half of the year
- July 3 : Friedrich Wilhelm von Reden , German mining captain (* 1752 )
- July 4th : Eberhard August Wilhelm von Zimmermann , geographer, natural historian and philosopher (* 1743 )
- July 7th : Pedro de Garibay , Spanish officer and colonial administrator, viceroy of New Spain (* 1729 )
- July 7th : Teruya Kanga Sakugawa , most famous master of Okinawan martial arts (* 1733 )
- July 24 : Ferdinand Bernhard Vietz , Austrian physician and botanist (* 1772 )
- August 2 : Guillaume-Marie-Anne Brune , Marshal of France (* 1763 )
- August 6 : Giuseppe Gherardeschi , Italian composer (* 1759 )
- August 13 : Friedrich August Wiedeburg , German pedagogue and philologist (* 1751 )
- August 15 : Richard Bassett , American politician (* 1745 )
- August 16 : Friederike Bethmann-Unzelmann , German actress and singer (* 1760 )
- August 18 : Chauncey Goodrich , American politician (* 1759 )
- August 19 : Charles Angélique François Huchet de La Bédoyère , French lieutenant general (* 1786 )
- August 21 : Carl Johan Adlercreutz , Swedish general (* 1757 )
- August 21 : Stanley Griswold , American politician (* 1763 )
- August 30 : Justus Christian Hennings , German moral philosopher and enlightener (* 1731 )
- September 9 : John Singleton Copley , American-English painter (* 1738 )
- September 24th : John Sevier , co-founder of Tennessee and its first governor (* 1745 )
- September 28 : Nicolas Desmarest , French geologist (* 1725 )
- October 2 : Ferdinand Anton Christian von Ahlefeldt , Danish diplomat (* 1747 )
- October 4th : Christophe-Philippe Oberkampf , French cloth manufacturer (* 1738 )
- October 5 : Karl Bertuch , German journalist and writer (* 1777 )
- October 13 : Joachim Murat , King of Naples and Marshal of France (* 1767 )
- October 13 : Friedrich Wilhelm Strieder , German librarian, lexicographer and historian (* 1739 )
- October 14 : Christian Ludwig August von Arnswaldt , electoral-Brunswick-Lüneburg politician (* 1733 )
- October 22 : Claude-Jacques Lecourbe , officer in various European armies (* 1759 )
- October 26 : Cornelis van der Aa , Dutch bookseller and writer (* 1749 )
- October 28 : Jacob Fidelis Ackermann , German physician (* 1765 )
- November 15 : Stephen Heard , American politician (* 1740 )
- November 17th : Luigi Asioli , Italian singer and composer (* around 1767 )
- November 17th : Dorothea Viehmann , source of the fairy tale collection of the Brothers Grimm (* 1755 )
- November 25th : Johann Peter Salomon , violinist, composer, conductor and music impresario (* 1745 )
- December 2 : Jan Potocki , Polish novelist, historian and ethnographer (* 1761 )
- December 5 : Christian Gottfried Gruner , German physician and historian (* 1744 )
- December 7th : Michel Ney , Marshal of France and Prince of the Moscow River (* 1769 )
- December 15 : Giuseppe Bossi , Italian painter and scholar (* 1777 )
- December 17th : Anna Pestalozzi , wife of Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi (* 1738 )
- December 19 : Benjamin Smith Barton , American botanist (* 1766 )
- December 23 : Franz Xaver von Auffenberg , Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal (* 1744 )
- December 29th : Sarah Baartman , Khoikhoi woman exhibited in London and Paris (* around 1789 )