Calendar overview 1826
Joseph Nicéphore Nièpce creates
the world's first permanent photograph .
|John Walker invents the match .||Spanish Inquisition is carried out in Valencia .|
|1826 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1274/75 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1818/19 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1231/32 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2369/70 (southern Buddhism); 2368/69 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1188/89 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4159/60 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1241/1242 (turn of the year 4th / 5th August)|
|Jewish calendar||5586/87 (September 2/3)|
|Coptic calendar||1542/43 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2136/37 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2137/38 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1882/83 (April)|
Politics and world events
Portugal / Brazil
- April 26th : After the death of his father Johann VI. Emperor Peter I of Brazil ascends the throne of Portugal as Peter IV .
- April 29 : Portugal's Constitutional Charter , the country's second constitution , comes into force.
- May 2 : Peter IV of Portugal abdicates in favor of his daughter Maria II , but keeps the Brazilian throne. Since Queen Maria II is still a minor, Isabella Maria of Portugal leads the reign .
Russia / Ottoman Empire
- April 4 : As part of the Greek struggle for freedom, which has been going on since 1821, Russia and Great Britain conclude an agreement in St. Petersburg that provides for the creation of an independent Greek state under Ottoman suzerainty. France joins this " Petersburg Protocol " in July 1827.
- April 10 : The inhabitants of the city of Mesolongi , besieged by Ottoman troops for a year in the course of the Greek Revolution, attempt an escape, which is betrayed and ends in a massacre of those who flee.
- June 14th / 15th : After a decision to dissolve the Janissaries and a rebellion triggered by this, Mahmud II has the Janissaries destroyed, which he describes as a “charitable event”.
- October 6th : The Treaty of Akkerman , today's Bilhorod-Dnistrowskyj , between Russia and the Ottoman Empire forces the Sublime Porte to regulate the situation in Serbia and the Danube principalities in the Russian sense.
Other events in Europe
- July 31 : The Inquisition's last death sentence is carried out in Valencia . The last victim is the teacher Cayetano Ripoll , who allegedly spread heretical teachings.
- February 24th : The Arakan Empire in Southeast Asia falls under British protection. It will be incorporated into British India .
- Siams King Rama III. and the British envoy Henry Burney sign the Burney Treaty . The Siamese sovereignty over the northern states of the Malays Kedah , Kelantan , Perlis and Terengganu is confirmed in the treaty . At the same time, British rule over Penang and its right to undisturbed trade with Kelantan and Terengganu are guaranteed. However, the Malay states are not contractual partners.
- The Anuvong Rebellion begins.
- January 15 : The first edition of the satirical newspaper Figaro appears in Paris . Forty years later, the paper became a daily newspaper .
- January 30th : The Menai Suspension Bridge between the Isle of Anglesey and mainland Wales opens.
- July 1st : Georg Christian von Kessler founds the first German sparkling wine cellar in Esslingen am Neckar .
- The porcelain manufactory , which still exists today, is founded in Herend in the Kingdom of Hungary .
science and technology
- February 27 : The Austrian officer and amateur astronomer Wilhelm von Biela discovers the comet named after him . When it returns around twenty years later, a comet is observed to disintegrate into several parts for the first time .
- March 10th : John Herschel documents the discovery of a galaxy in the constellation Virgo , now NGC 4380 .
- April 29th : The Scottish astronomer James Dunlop , who works in Australia, spots the galaxy NGC 4945 in the constellation Centaur, which heralds the beginning of a remarkable series of discoveries : starburst galaxy ,
- May 28, the giant galaxy NGC 1566 in swordfish , 60 million light years away ,
- June 30th the galaxy NGC 6744 in the constellation Peacock, 25 million light years away .
- July 7th in the constellation crane the two galaxies NGC 7552 and NGC 7582 and in the sculptor the galaxy NGC 134 .
- July 14th in the crane the two galaxies NGC 7410 and NGC 7590 and in the sculptor the galaxy NGC 7793 .
- August 3rd a blue globular cluster in the Large Magellanic Cloud for the first time . It is later cataloged as NGC 1818 .
- August 4th the galaxies NGC 7049 in the constellation Indian and the galaxy NGC 55 in the sculptor.
- August 5th the galaxies NGC 300 in the constellation Sculptor and NGC 986 in the constellation Chemical Furnace .
- On September 2nd and the following days, several galaxies were surveyed in the southern sky:
- NGC 1316 and NGC 1380 in the chemical furnace,
- the globular cluster NGC 419 in the Toucan ,
- and NGC 1493 in the constellation Eridanus ;
- September 5th in the constellation Phoenix the bar-spiral galaxy known today as NGC 7689 ,
- September 27th and 28th the galaxies NGC 1313 (constellation network ) and NGC 1433 (constellation pendulum clock ),
- October 4th in the dove the galaxy NGC 1792 ,
- October 29th in Eridanus the galaxies NGC 1487 and NGC 1532 ,
- November 5th in swordfish the galaxies NGC 1549 , NGC 1617 and NGC 1672 as well
- November 24th, again in the constellation Chemical Furnace, the galaxy NGC 1350 .
Teaching and Research
- February 11 : The University of London is created as an alternative to the religiously influenced universities of Oxford and Cambridge .
- December 14th : At a lecture in Berlin, the scientist Carl Ritter used the words orography (height description) and hypsometry (height measurement), which are becoming established as technical terms , for the first time.
- November 27th : The pharmacist John Walker invents the match , but it burns irregularly and still smells unpleasant.
- First photograph of the world by Joseph Nicéphore Nièpce
- Otto Unverdorben produces aniline from indigo for the first time.
- The Hungarian Benedictine and natural scientist Ányos Jedlik invents soda water .
- April 7th : In Munich , King Ludwig I lays the foundation stone for the Alte Pinakothek , which will house his collection of paintings.
- Eleven artists found the Royal Scottish Academy in Edinburgh .
- James Fenimore Cooper publishes the novel The Last of the Mohicans , the second published part of his leather stocking cycle.
- Joseph Freiherr von Eichendorff publishes his novella From the life of a good-for-nothing .
- Wilhelm Hauff publishes the novel Lichtenstein , a romantic legend from the history of Württemberg.
- Friedrich Froebel publishes his main literary work, Human Education .
- The sheets for literary entertainment appear for the first time in Leipzig .
- Wilhelm Hauff's fairy tale almanac for the year 1827 appears
Music and theater
- February 21 : The world premiere of the opera Caritea, Regina di Spagna by Saverio Mercadante takes place at the Teatro La Fenice in Venice.
- March 19 : In Genoa is foundation for the Teatro Carlo Felice placed.
- April 12 : In London's Royal Opera House is Carl Maria von Weber's opera Oberon premiered. The libretto is by James Planché after Christoph Martin Wieland .
- May 30th : The world premiere of the opera Bianca e Fernando by Vincenzo Bellini held at the Teatro San Carlo in Naples. The libretto is by Domenico Gilardoni . Gaetano Donizetti, who was present at the world premiere, was very positive about the work.
- July 25th : The heroic-comic opera Roland's Knappen by Heinrich Dorn is premiered in Berlin.
- October 9 : At the de Académie Royale Musique in Paris, the opera Le siège de Corinthe by Gioachino Rossini premiered. The libretto is by Luigi Balocchi and Alexandre Soumet . The literary model is Maometto II , an earlier unsuccessful opera by the composer. The piece, which hits the zeitgeist of the Greek independence movement, becomes a great success that lasts for years.
- Establishment of the Turkish barracks in Munich
- February 17th : Pope Leo XII. recognizes the regular clergy of the Oblates , which Eugene of Mazenod founded as a missionary community.
- April 9 : Rabbi Isaak Mannheimer inaugurates the city temple built by Joseph Kornhäusel in Vienna.
- January 6 : Adolf Kirchhoff , German classical philologist and researcher († 1908 )
- January 9 : August Anschütz , German legal scholar († 1874 )
- January 11 : Giuseppe Battaglini , Italian mathematician († 1894 )
- January 12 : Alfred Deléhelle , French composer († 1893 )
- January 15 : Clementine Abel , German writer († 1905 )
- January 17 : James N. Tyner , American politician († 1904 )
- January 18 : Joseph-Henri Altès , French flautist and composer († 1895 )
- January 19 : Gustav Hertzberg , Professor of History at the University of Halle († 1907 )
- January 24th : Friedrich Bötticher , Lord Mayor of Magdeburg († 1895 )
- January 27 : Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin , Russian writer and satirist († 1889 )
- January 27 : Richard Taylor , American politician and Southern general († 1879 )
- January 28 : Louis Favre , Swiss engineer, responsible for the construction of the Gotthard tunnel († 1879 )
- February 2 : Napoléon Alkan , French composer and music teacher († 1906 )
- February 3 : Walter Bagehot , British economist, journalist, constitutional theorist († 1877 )
- February 3 : Hermann Schubert , Austrian Benedictine, preacher and pastor († 1892 )
- February 4 : Halbert E. Paine , American politician and general († 1905 )
- February 7th : Jakob Friedrich Alois Hemberger , German architect and construction clerk from the Grand Ducal Baden († 1906 )
- February 11 : Heinrich Vieweg , German publisher and bookseller († 1890 )
- February 14 : Albin Ackermann-Teubner , German publisher and bookseller († 1903 )
- February 14 : Charles-Gustave Smith , Canadian organist, composer, painter and music teacher († 1896 )
- February 14 : Frederik Christian Lund , Danish genre and portrait painter († 1901 )
- February 15 : George Johnstone Stoney , Irish physicist († 1911 )
- February 16 : Franz von Holstein , German composer († 1878 )
- February 16 : Joseph Victor von Scheffel , German writer and poet († 1886 )
- February 16 : Walpurga Schindl , Tyrolean poet († 1872 )
- February 17 : Adam Krolczyk , German Protestant missionary in China († 1872 )
- February 18 : Lea Frederika Ahlborn , Swedish artist († 1897 )
- February 19 : Claus Pavels Riis , Norwegian poet († 1886 )
- February 22 : Samuel James Renwick McMillan , American lawyer and politician († 1897 )
- February 25 : John B. Page , American politician († 1885 )
- March 1 : John Thomas , Welsh harpist and composer († 1913 )
- March 5 : Heinrich Ludwig Banck , German banker and merchant († 1895 )
- March 6 : Marietta Alboni , opera singer († 1894 )
- March 6 : Emil Heinrich Otto Müller , German classical philologist and pedagogue. († 1914 )
- March 7 : John Davis , American politician († 1907 )
- March 12 : Robert Lowry , Baptist clergyman and composer († 1899 )
- March 19 : Stanislas Graf von Escayrac de Lauture , French explorer of Africa († 1868 )
- March 20 : Augustus Wollaston Franks , British archaeologist and curator of the British Museum († 1897 )
- March 21 : Louis Arsène Delaunay , French actor († 1903 )
- March 23 : Léon Minkus , Austrian ballet composer († 1917 )
- March 27 : Ernst Andolt , German writer, lawyer and politician († 1901 )
- March 27 : Johannes Overbeck , German classical archaeologist († 1895 )
- March 29 : Christian Almer , mountain guide, mountaineer († 1898 )
- March 29 : Wilhelm Liebknecht , co-founder of the SPD, MdR († 1900 )
- April 2 : Georg II , German nobleman, patron of the theater and director († 1914 )
- April 2 : Henry Howard , American politician († 1905 )
- April 3 : Vincent Adler , Hungarian composer and pianist († 1871 )
- April 4 : Zénobe Gramme , Belgian electrician and designer († 1901 )
- April 4 : Herrmann Julius Meyer , German publisher († 1909 )
- April 5 : Friedrich Schünemann-Pott , American free thinker and German theologian († 1891 )
- April 6 : Gustave Moreau , French painter († 1898 )
- April 7 : Hermann Berens , German pianist and composer († 1880 )
- April 9 : Francis B. Stockbridge , American politician († 1894 )
- April 25 : John Routt , American politician († 1907 )
- April 30 : Julius von Ficker , German-Austrian historian († 1902 )
- April 30 : Jonathan Ross , American politician († 1905 )
- May 1 : Heinrich Bertram , German educator († 1904 )
- May 3rd : Charles XV. , King of Sweden († 1872 )
- May 4 : Frederic Edwin Church , American landscape painter († 1900 )
- May 5 : Eugénie de Montijo , wife of Napoleon III, Empress of France († 1920 )
- May 9 : Oscar Berger-Levrault , French philatelist († 1903 )
- May 13 : Hermann von Schlagintweit , German naturalist and explorer († 1882 )
- May 15 : Henri Mouhot , French naturalist and explorer († 1861 )
- May 21 : Gabriel Hubert Iser , German Imperial Judge († 1907 )
- May 21 : Adolf Heinrich Lier , South Tyrolean landscape painter († 1882 )
- May 23 : Kaspar Eisenkolb , Romanian-German composer († 1913 )
- May 24 : Marie Goegg-Pouchoulin , first women's rights activist in Switzerland († 1899 )
- May 26 : Richard Christopher Carrington , English astronomer and well-known solar researcher († 1875 )
- May 27 : Marie Helene Aarestrup , Norwegian genre, portrait and animal painter († 1919 )
- May 28 : B. Gratz Brown , American politician († 1885 )
- May 28 : Carl Johann Lüdecke , German architect († 1894 )
- June 1 : Carl Bechstein , German piano maker († 1900 )
- June 8 : Thomas Faed , British realism painter († 1900 )
- June 14 : Sigmund Aschrott , German industrialist and town planner († 1915 )
- June 15 : Josef Pischna , Bohemian pianist and composer († 1896 )
- June 16 : Eduard Crüsemann , wholesale merchant and co-founder of North German Lloyd († 1869 )
- June 16 : John Pool , American politician († 1884 )
- June 21 : Georg von Neumayer , German geophysicist and polar researcher († 1909 )
- June 24 : Theodore Fitz Randolph , American politician († 1883 )
- June 26 : Adolf Bastian , German ethnologist, university professor, collector († 1905 )
- June 27 : Franz Xaver von Zottmann , German bishop of the Volga Germans in Saratow († 1901 )
- June 29 : Theodor Formes , German opera singer (tenor) († 1874 )
- July 3 : Rudolf Westphal , German classical philologist († 1892 )
- July 4 : Angus Cameron , American politician († 1897 )
- July 6 : Nicolaas Wilhelm Pieter Rauwenhoff , Dutch biologist († 1909 )
- July 8 : Friedrich Chrysander , German musicologist († 1901 )
- July 11 : John Fowler , English inventor and engineer († 1864 )
- July 11 : Franz Grashof , German engineer († 1893 )
- July 18 : Mariano Ignacio Prado , Peruvian President († 1901 )
- July 22nd : Julius Stockhausen , German singer, singing teacher and conductor († 1906 )
- July 23 : Alexander Afanassjew , researcher of Russian fairy tales († 1871 )
- July 26 : John Irvin Gregg , American general in the Civil War († 1892 )
- July 27 : Adolph von Hansemann , German banker († 1903 )
- July 30th : Reinhard Friedrich von Adelebsen , German politician († 1883 )
- July 31 : George Hoadly , American politician († 1902 )
- August 2 : John P. Stockton , American politician († 1900 )
- August 5 : Paul Stumpf , German politician and manufacturer († 1912 )
- August 6 : Rolf Boldrewood , Australian author († 1915 )
- August 7th : August Engelbrekt Ahlqvist , Finnish linguist († 1889 )
- August 8 : Charles Galibert , French composer († 1858 )
- August 13 : William Thomas Best , English organist († 1897 )
- August 15 : Theodor Albert Anton Muther , German legal scholar and historian († 1878 )
- August 21 : Carl Gegenbaur , German researcher († 1903 )
- September 3 : Wilhelm Speidel , German composer, pianist and university lecturer († 1899 )
- September 6 : Heinrich von Maltzan , German orientalist and writer († 1874 )
- September 6 : Leopold Ullstein , German publisher († 1899 )
- September 7th : Armand David , French Lazarist and naturalist († 1900 )
- September 8 : Disma Fumagalli , Italian composer and music teacher († 1893 )
- September 9 : Friedrich I , Grand Duke of Baden († 1907 )
- September 12 : Otto Michaelis , economic liberal, journalist and politician († 1890 )
- September 12 : Richard Pohl , composer and music writer († 1896 )
- September 13 : Rudolf Henneberg , painter († 1876 )
- September 16 : Ernst I , Duke of Saxe-Altenburg († 1908 )
- September 17 : Bernhard Riemann , German mathematician († 1866 )
- September 20 : Carl Wilhelm Julius Appelius , German lawyer († 1900 )
- September 21 : Gustave Moynier , lawyer and co-founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross († 1910 )
- October 1 : Carl Theodor von Piloty , German painter († 1886 )
- October 2 : Paul Emanuel Spieker , German architect († 1896 )
- October 2 : Gustav Heinrich Wiedemann , German physicist († 1899 )
- October 7 : Eugène Pruyssnaere , Belgian African explorer († 1864 )
- October 7 : William B. Bate , American politician and major general in the Confederate Army († 1905 )
- October 8 : Emily Blackwell , American doctor and suffragette († 1910 )
- October 8 : Matt Whitaker Ransomware , American officer and politician († 1904 )
- October 13 : Lafayette C. Baker , American spy and intelligence officer († 1868 )
- October 17 : Hermann Ludwig von Wartensleben , Prussian general († 1921 )
- October 18 : Wilhelm Walther , German artist, professor and creator of the Princely Train in Dresden († 1913 )
- October 19 : Colomba Antonietti , Italian patriot († 1849 )
- October 28 : Wilhelm Christoph Friedrich Arnold , German lawyer, legal, economic and cultural historian and politician († 1883 )
- October 31 : Joseph Roswell Hawley , American politician and governor of Connecticut († 1905 )
- November 1 : John Roberts Reading , American politician († 1886 )
- November 10 : Oden Bowie , American politician († 1894 )
- November 11th : Johann Nepomuk Martin von Appel , Austrian general († 1906 )
- November 14 : Heinrich Lang , German theologian († 1876 )
- November 19 : William Crowninshield Endicott , American politician († 1900 )
- November 21 : Christian Wilhelm Ludwig von Abeken , German politician († 1890 )
- November 22nd : Hyacinthe Aube , French admiral and governor of Martinique († 1890 )
- November 23 : Hermann Rudolph Aubert , German physiologist († 1892 )
- November 24th : Carlo Collodi , Italian writer (Pinocchio) († 1890 )
- December 1 : Sereno Watson , American botanist († 1892 )
- December 3 : George B. McClellan , American politician and general († 1885 )
- December 4 : Johann von Lutz , Bavarian politician († 1890 )
- December 8 : Friedrich Siemens , German industrialist († 1904 )
- December 7th : Filippo Pagnamenta , Swiss politician and Italian major general († 1892 )
- December 7th : Edmund Gibson Ross , American politician († 1907 )
- December 10 : John Henry Kinkead , American politician († 1904 )
- December 10 : Franz Susemihl , German classical philologist († 1901 )
- December 11th : August Ritter , professor of mechanics and astrophysicist († 1908 )
- December 15 : Robert Waterman , American politician († 1891 )
- December 16 : Giambattista Donati , Italian astronomer († 1873 )
- December 18 : John Mercer Brooke , military, professor and inventor († 1906 )
- December 18 : Theodor von Sickel , German-Austrian historian († 1908 )
- December 19 : Jakob Maurer , German landscape painter († 1887 )
- December 21 : Tomás León , Mexican composer and pianist († 1893 )
- December 26 : William Clayton Anderson , American politician († 1861 )
- December 28 : Conrad Busken Huet , Dutch writer and critic († 1886 )
- December 28 : James H. Slater , American politician († 1899 )
- December 29 : Ludwig Ackermann , German politician († unknown)
- December 29th : Leopold von Pebal , Austrian chemist († 1887 )
- December 31 : Henry Hiles , English composer, organist and music teacher († 1904 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Georg Ritter von Aichinger , Austrian nobleman († 1891 )
- Francisco Júlio de Caldas Aulete , Portuguese politician, didactician, Romanist, Lusitanist and lexicographer († 1878 )
- Jules Holzapffel , French painter († 1866 )
- Mishkin-Qalam , Persian calligrapher († 1912 )
January to April
- January 1 : William Kennedy , American politician (* 1775 )
- January 3 : Louis Gabriel Suchet , Marshal of France (* 1770 )
- January 17th : Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga , Spanish violinist and composer (* 1806 )
- January 23 : Abraham Woodhull , American spy (* 1750 )
- January 24 : Henry H. Chambers , American politician (* 1790 )
- January 26 : Christian Gottlob Thube , German Protestant theologian, mystic and prophet (* 1742 )
- January 30 : Fyodor Rostoptschin , Russian general and minister (* 1763 )
- February 2 : Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin , French writer and gastronomic critic (* 1755 )
- February 14 : Johannes Daniel Falk , theologian and writer (* 1768 )
- February 15 : Joseph Wanton Morrison , British general (* 1783 )
- February 15 : Scipione Breislak , Italian geologist (* 1750 )
- February 20 : Matthew Murray , English engineer (* 1765 )
- February 26 : John Gaillard , American politician (* 1765 )
- March 1 : Friedrich Weinbrenner , German architect and master builder of classicism (* 1766 )
- March 10th : John VI. , King of Portugal and Emperor of Brazil (* 1767 )
- March 14th : Sebastian Vitus Schlupf , German sculptor (* 1761 )
- March 16 : Johann Severin father , German theologian and linguist (* 1771 )
- March 23 : Ernst Gottlieb Bengel , German theologian (* 1769 )
- March 24th : Mathieu de Montmorency-Laval , French general and statesman (* 1766 )
- March 28 : Jean-Jacques Lequeu , French architect (* 1757 )
- March 29 : Domenico Pino , Italian general in Napoleonic service (* 1760 )
- March 29 : Johann Heinrich Voss , German poet and translator (* 1751 )
- April 2 : Joseph Leopold Strickner , Austrian painter and engraver (* 1744 )
- April 7th : Lucie-Madeleine d'Estaing , French nobleman and mistress of Louis XV. (* 1743 )
- April 8 : Maria Kunigunde of Saxony , canon and last abbess of Essen (* 1740 )
- April 10th : Thaddäus Müller , Swiss theologian (* 1763 )
- April 13 : Franz Danzi , German composer (* 1763 )
May to August
- May 2 : Antoni Malczewski , Polish poet (* 1793 )
- May 13 : Christian Kramp , Alsatian doctor, mathematician and physicist (* 1760 )
- May 13 : Johann Baptist von Spix , German zoologist and researcher (* 1781 )
- May 16 : Louise von Baden , daughter of Margrave Karl Ludwig von Baden (* 1779 )
- May 18 : Karl Christian Gottlieb Sturm , German agricultural economist (* 1780 )
- May 21 : Georg Friedrich von Reichenbach , Bavarian inventor and engineer (* 1771 )
- May 24th : Friedrich Ernst Fesca , German composer (* 1789 )
- May 25 : Amarindra , King of Thailand (* 1737 )
- May 30th : André Coindre , French Catholic. Priest and founder of an order (* 1787 )
- June 1 : Johann Friedrich Oberlin , German pastor and social pioneer (* 1740 )
- June 7th : Joseph von Fraunhofer , German optician and physicist (* 1787 )
- June 15 : August Friedrich Wilhelm Rudolph , German educator (* 1771 )
- June 18 : Georg Friedrich Karl , Count of Waldeck-Limpurg (* 1785 )
- June 20 : Miguel José de Azanza , Spanish officer, colonial administrator and viceroy of New Spain (* 1746 )
- July 4th : Grigory Orlov , Russian statesman and scholar (* 1777 )
- July 4th : Thomas Jefferson , American politician, 3rd President of the USA (* 1743 )
- July 5 : Joseph Louis Proust , French chemist (* 1754 )
- July 5 : Thomas Stamford Raffles , researcher, founder of Singapore (* 1781 )
- July 5 : Karl Friedrich Stäudlin , German Protestant theologian (* 1761 )
- July 9 : Charlotte von Lengefeld , wife of Friedrich Schiller (* 1766 )
- July 17 : Joseph Graetz , German organist, composer and music teacher (* 1760 )
- July 18 : Isaac Shelby , American officer and first governor of Kentucky (* 1750 )
- July 22nd : Giuseppe Piazzi , Italian astronomer priest , mathematician and theologian, discoverer of the first planetoid (* 1746 )
- July 24 : Richard Clough Anderson , American politician (* 1788 )
- July 25th : Kondrati Rylejew , Russian poet (* 1795 )
- July 25 : Mikhail Bestuschew-Ryumin , Russian revolutionary and leader of the Decembrist uprising (* 1801 )
- July 25 : Pawel Pestel , Russian revolutionary (* 1793 )
- August 10th : August Schumann , German bookseller, publisher and lexicographer (* 1773 )
- August 12 : Victor Hugues , French colonial administrator under Robespierre, Napoleon I and Louis XVIII. (* 1762 )
- August 13 : René Laënnec , French doctor, inventor of the stethoscope (* 1781 )
- August 15 : Franz Dinnendahl , designer of the first steam engine in the Ruhr area (* 1775 )
- August 19 : Joseph McIlvaine , American politician (* 1769 )
- August 26 : Waller Taylor , American politician
September to December
- September 7th : Robert Wright , American politician (* 1752 )
- September 18 : William S. Pennington , American politician (* 1757 )
- September 19 : Johann Konrad Schiede , pastor and author (* 1760 )
- September 22nd : Johann Peter Hebel , German poet, Protestant theologian and educator (* 1760 )
- September 25th : Friederike Dorothea von Baden , Swedish Queen (* 1781 )
- September 26 : Alexander Gordon Laing , British African explorer (* 1793 )
- September 30th : Julie Philippine Clara Auguste Anschel , German writer and actress (* 1780 )
- October 1 : Ernst Christoph Helle , German manufacturer and local politician (* 1759 )
- October 3 : Jens Immanuel Baggesen , Danish writer (* 1764 )
- October 7th : Johann Daniel Lawaetz , German businessman and Danish budget adviser (* 1750 )
- October 8 : Friedrich Krupp , German industrialist (* 1787 )
- October 10 : Félix Berenguer de Marquina , Spanish colonial administrator, governor of the Philippines and viceroy of New Spain (* 1736 )
- October 19 : François-Joseph Talma , French actor (* 1763 )
- October 20 : François-Antoine Boissy d'Anglas , French politician (* 1756 )
- October 22 : Leopold Leonhard von Thun and Hohenstein , Bishop of Passau (* 1748 )
- October 25 : Hans Conrad von Orelli , Swiss Protestant clergyman and university professor (* 1770 )
- October 25 : Philippe Pinel , French psychiatrist (* 1745 )
- October 28 : Martin Johann Wikosch , Austrian pedagogue (* 1754 )
- November 9 : Bernhard Heinrich Overberg , German theologian and educator (* 1754 )
- November 19 : Joel Abbot , American politician (* 1776 )
- November 22nd : Pavel Mašek , Czech composer (* 1761 )
- November 23 : Johann Elert Bode , German astronomer, discoverer of the planet Neptune (* 1747 )
- November 24th : Clarke Abel , British physician and naturalist (* 1789 )
- December 3 : Levin August von Bennigsen , Russian general (* 1745 )
- December 5 : Aloys Basselet von La Rosée , Bavarian civil servant and judge (* 1747 )
- December 7th : John Flaxman , British sculptor (* 1755 )
- December 10 : Benedikt Schak , Austrian tenor and composer (* 1758 )
- December 11th : Maria Leopoldine of Austria , Austrian Archduchess, Queen of Portugal and Empress of Brazil (* 1797 )
- December 19 : Johann Lorenz Rugendas , German painter and art publisher (* 1775 )
- December 26th : Adolph Wilhelm Schack von Staffeldt , Danish poet (* 1769 )
- December 28 : Simon Moritz von Bethmann , German banker (* 1768 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Ahmad al-Ahsā'ī , founder of Shaykhism (* 1753 )
- Charlotte Kanitz , German writer (* 1773 )
- Jean Laffite , French privateer (* around 1780 )