Josef Becker (politician, 1905)
Life and work
After attending school, Becker completed an apprenticeship as a shoemaker, which he completed with a journeyman's examination. He then worked in this profession and passed the master's examination in the shoemaking trade in 1929. From 1930 until the dissolution of the unions in 1933 he was union secretary at the Central Association of Christian Leather Workers . He then worked in a shoe factory until 1937, before he went into business for himself in 1937 and was elected head master of the Pirmasens shoemakers' guild that same year . In March 1945, his company was completely destroyed in an air raid. From 1945 to 1952 he was head master, later honorary master of the Pirmasens shoemaker's guild.
Becker died on October 19, 1996 in the Maria Rosenberg nursing home .
Before 1933 Becker was a member of the Center Party . After the " seizure of power " by the National Socialists, he was unable to continue his political and trade union work. In 1945 he took part in the founding of the CDP , from which the Rhineland-Palatinate state association of the CDU later emerged. In 1946 he was elected to the board of the CDU district association Pirmasens and was later chairman until 1968.
Becker had been a member of the citizens' council since July 1945 and from 1946 to 1979 a member of the council of the city of Pirmasens. In 1946/47 he was a member of the Advisory State Assembly of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate . He was a member of the German Bundestag from its first election in 1949 to 1972. In parliament he represented the Zweibrücken constituency from 1949 to 1965 and then the Pirmasens constituency until 1972 .
From 1946 to 1948 Becker was second mayor in Pirmasens.
- Freiherr vom Stein plaque (1955)
- City honor plaque of the city of Pirmasens in silver (1960)
- Federal Cross of Merit (1969)
- City honor plaque of the city of Pirmasens in gold (1980)
- In 1980 the Petersberg community granted Josef Becker honorary citizenship.
- Order of Merit of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate (1986)
- Honorary Citizen of the City of Pirmasens (1995)
- Rudolf Vierhaus , Ludolf Herbst (eds.), Bruno Jahn (collaborators): Biographical manual of the members of the German Bundestag. 1949-2002. Vol. 1: A-M. KG Saur, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-598-23782-0 , pp. 49-50.
- The President of the Landtag Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): The representatives of the free people: The members of the Consultative State Assembly and the Landtag Rhineland-Palatinate from 1946 to 2015. 2016, ISBN 3-658-04751-8 , p. 52.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), Member of the Bundestag, Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 8, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bochum|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 19, 1996|
|Place of death||Waldfischbach castle albums|