Herbst studied history, German literature , philosophy and political science at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen . With a thesis on the persecution of the First International by the great powers in the Empire time he became in 1973 a doctorate . He completed his habilitation with a study that was published in 1982 under the title The Total War and the Order of the Economy . His academic teachers in Göttingen were Reinhard Wittram , Rudolf von Thadden and Rudolf Vierhaus .
After a short teaching position in Göttingen, Ludolf Herbst became deputy director of the Munich Institute for Contemporary History in 1983 . From 1991 to 2008 he was Professor of Modern and Contemporary History at the Humboldt University in Berlin .
- Total war and economic order. The war economy in the field of tension between politics, ideology and propaganda 1939-1945 , Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-421-06119-X .
- Option for the west. From the Marshall Plan to the Franco-German Treaty , Deutscher Taschenbuch-Verlag, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-423-04527-2 .
- National Socialist Germany 1933–1945 , Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1996, ISBN 3-518-11285-6 .
- Edited with Rudolf Vierhaus , Bruno Jahn (co-workers): Biographical manual of the members of the German Bundestag. 1949–2002 , KG Saur Verlag, Munich,
- Complexity and chaos. Basics of a theory of history , Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-406-49455-2 .
- Edited with Thomas Weihe: The Commerzbank and the Jews 1933–1945 , Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-406-51873-7 .
- Hitler's charisma. The invention of a German Messiah , S. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2010, ISBN 978-3-10-033186-1 .
- Literature by and about Ludolf Herbst in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Ludolf Herbst at perlentaucher.de
- Humboldt University of Berlin. Institute for History: Prof. Dr. Ludolf Herbst
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 21, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wülfinghausen|