|owner||Publisher Heinz Heise|
Telepolis is an online magazine from Heise Zeitschriften Verlag . The online magazine, which was also published in print until 1998 , reflects, according to its own account, “critically the social, political, scientific, cultural and artistic aspects of the digital age”. In June 2019, the Telepolis website reached around 11.4 million IVW -checked page impressions . In addition to books, printed special issues will continue to be sold under this title.
Telepolis was founded by the editors Armin Medosch and Florian Rötzer after they jointly designed and organized the Telepolis series of events in 1995 . In 2001 the team was expanded to include the Munich journalist Michaela Simon .
In 2002 the publisher reduced the budget for operational reasons and Armin Medosch had to close his editorial office in London. After that, the classic network policy issues that Telepolis made known in the internet scene played a somewhat less important role at times.
However , this topic was taken up again later with the mention of network problems such as the waves of warnings about domains , copyright , imprint etc. In 2004 the editorial team was expanded to include Wolf-Dieter Roth , who left the magazine in 2007 together with Michaela Simon and a few other authors.
From November 2012 to 2014, Telepolis organized a series of talks in cooperation with the Bavarian America Academy in Munich
Both news and opinion articles appear on Telepolis. The magazine reports and comments primarily on current political events as well as scientific topics and aspects of digital culture.
By Mathias Bröckers a Special appeared to conspiracy theories about September 11, 2001 , which to him by Wolfgang Wippermann Semitism accusations brought. Telepolis offers reader forums for all articles , in which often controversial discussions take place.
Heiseverlag has been publishing the Telepolis series of books since 2000 , including the volume Vom Ende der Anonymität - Die Globalisierung der Monitoring edited by Christiane Schulzki-Haddouti , as well as Netzpiraten, edited by Armin Medosch and Janko Röttgers . In November 2004, the first Telepolis Special, edited by Harald Zaun , appeared as a glossy magazine with the title How researchers and spacemen want to track down ALIENS .
- Media theory and media criticism
Telepolis deals with media theory , online media and alleged information warfare ; In September 2014 Telepolis published an internal résumé of a minutes of the ARD's program advisory board from June 2014 that were not intended for the public . A short time later, Der Spiegel published a description in which on the one hand the wording of the program advisory board, but also the manner in which Telepolis announced it was unusual were described: “Both the form and severity of the criticism and the way in which it was made public are unprecedented in the history of ARD. Only a four-page résumé torn out of context was pierced to the public. "
In 2019, Gaby Weber wrote on Telepolis that Bayer AG's takeover of Monsanto was financed with taxpayers' money. The allegation was based on the fact that the Bundesbank had bought corporate bonds from Bayer . The daily newspaper (taz) rated this report as a false report that Weber was subject to two mistakes, namely that the Bundesbank had tax money and that the central banks' monetary policy was something like subsidies .
The Americanist and conspiracy theorist Michael Butter placed Telepolis in 2019 among the alternative media such as KenFM , NachDenkSeiten or Rubikon , which would all form a counter- public to the traditional quality media and public broadcasting . They used conspiracy theories like that of the " lying press " and sold them as serious news.
- European Prize for Online Journalism 2000
- Grimme Online Award 2002
In 2002 the magazine received the Grimme Online Award . The jury justified the award in the media journalism category : “Incorruptible, independent of the major publishing houses and their commercial interests, expertly and at a high level, important topics are discussed here even if they are not even in the topic planning for most websites . Whether eavesdropping by the secret services, topological effects of quantum mechanics, an overview of the conspiracy theories against the attack on the WorldTradeCenter or the latest advances from the Brussels Commission on copyright or cookies: difficult, important, controversial topics from science, technology, politics, art are everyday occurrences Bread of the offer from Heise-Verlag [...]. "
- LeadAward 2004
In 2004 Telepolis achieved third place in the special interest online magazine category of the LeadAwards .
Well-known former and current Telepolis authors are:
- Franz Alt
- Alexander Bahar
- Tilman Baumgartel
- Ralf Blank
- Mathias Broeckers
- Hauke Brunkhorst
- Ernst Corinth
- Jürgen Elsässer
- Jörg Phil Friedrich
- Bettina "Twister" Hammer
- Marcus Hammerschmitt
- Frank Hartmann
- Ulrich Herb
- Ulrich Heyden
- Jörg on the Hövel
- Gabriele Hooffacker
- Tomasz Konicz
- Stefan Krempl
- Stanislaw Lem
- Lev Manovich
- Georg Meggle
- Stefan Münker
- Peter Nowak
- Moritz Reichelt
- Janko Röttgers
- Florian Rötzer
- Klaus Schmeh
- Heike Schrader
- Paul Schreyer
- Christiane Schulzki-Haddouti
- Roland Seim
- Rüdiger Suchsland
- Alexander Unzicker
- Gaby Weber
- Willy Wimmer
- Harald fence
- Telepolis short profile. In: Heise Online . Heise Medien GmbH & Co. KG, accessed on November 22, 2019 .
- Michaela Simon: 10 years Telepolis. In: Telepolis. March 6, 2006, accessed November 28, 2014 .
- Telepolis turns 10th In: Digitalcourage . [foebud.org] March 7, 2006, archived from the original on December 7, 2014 ; accessed on May 29, 2018 .
- Markus Kompa: Cold War Leaks, Amerika Haus Munich, January 20, 2014
- program booklet amerikahaus May June July 2014
- Telepolis short profile. In: Media Portal. Heise Medien, accessed on November 28, 2014 .
- Wolfgang Wippermann : Agents of Evil. Conspiracy theories from Luther to today , be.bra. Verlag, Berlin 2007, pp. 134-140.
- Christiane Schulzki-Haddouti (ed.): From the end of anonymity - the globalization of surveillance. Telepolis. H. Heise, Hannover 2001, ISBN 3-88229-192-3 .
- Armin Medosch, Janko Röttgers (ed.): Netzpiraten - the culture of electronic crime. Telepolis. H. Heise, Hannover 2001, ISBN 3-88229-188-5 .
- Harald Zaun (ed.): Aliens. Telepolis special. Heise, Hannover 2005.1 (also as e-paper - CD-ROM).
- Dietmar Neuerer: Does the ARD report too critical of Russia? In: handelsblatt.com. September 18, 2014, accessed November 28, 2014 .
- Benjamin Bidder: Program Advisory Board accuses ARD of "anti-Russian tendencies". In: Spiegel Online. September 23, 2014, accessed November 28, 2014 .
- Incorrect report on Monsanto purchase . taz.de , June 26, 2019.
- Michael Butter: Conspiracy (theory) panik. “Filter Clash” of two publics . In: Heiner Hastedt (ed.): Power of interpretation of diagnoses of the time. Interdisciplinary perspectives . transcript Verlag, Bielefeld 2019, ISBN 978-3-8376-4592-7 , pp. 197–211, here p. 205 (accessed from De Gruyter Online).
- Grimme Online Award - 2002. In: Adolf Grimme Institute . Archived from the original on November 29, 2016 ; accessed on May 29, 2018 .
- Lead Awards 2004 - Winner .