Abdullah II bin al-Hussein
Abdullah II bin al-Hussein ( Arabic عبد الله الثاني بن الحسين, DMG ʿAbd Allāh aṯ-ṯānī bin al-Ḥusain ; * January 30, 1962 in Amman ) is the king of the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan .
The eldest son of King Hussein and his second wife, Princess Muna , trained at the Sandhurst Military Academy cadet school and served in the British Army . He studied international politics at Pembroke College of Oxford University and at Georgetown University in Washington, DC After graduation, he returned as a professional officer back to Jordan. There he continued his military career with the armed forces of Jordan , in which he was promoted to deputy commander of the national elite troops in 1993, to brigadier general in 1994 and finally to major general in 1998 .
|Jordanian royal family|
SM King Abdullah II.
In 1993 he married the Palestinian Rania Al-Yasin , during the turmoil of the Second Gulf War in Kuwait had fled.
The couple has four children:
- Crown Prince Hussein , born June 28, 1994
- Princess Iman , born September 27, 1996
- Princess Salma , born September 26, 2000
- Prince Haschem , born January 30, 2005
On January 25, 1999, he was appointed heir to the throne by a decree planned for a long time by his father, but surprising to the general public. Before him, his uncle Hassan Ibn Talal held this position for 34 years. After the death of his father, Abdullah became King of Jordan on February 7, 1999.
Abdullah, who next to Morocco's King Mohammed VI. is one of the two incumbent heads of state in the Arab world who claim to be descended directly from the prophet Mohammed , and is highly regarded in the Islamic world as a mediator in various conflicts. At the same time, he is also very open to the West. However, human rights activists continually criticize the lack of freedom of the press and freedom of speech , which persists in Jordan even under Abdullah's rule.
As an avowed Star Trek fan, he took on an extra role as Lieutenant Junior Grade in the science fiction series Star Trek: Spaceship Voyager (episode 2x20 The Traitor ) in 1996 .
- 2002: Special level of the Grand Cross , highest level of the Federal Cross of Merit
- 2016: International Peace Prize of Westphalia
- 2018: Templeton Prize
- The last chance. My struggle for peace in the Middle East , Deutsche Verlagsanstalt, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-421-04460-0 .
- Message from Amman ( Amman Message )
- ↑ Abdullah ibn al-Hussein. In: Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki. Retrieved June 11, 2016 .
- ^ Prize of the Peace of Westphalia. In: www.domradio.de. March 17, 2016, accessed March 17, 2016 .
- Official website of King Abdullah
- Abdullah II in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Short biography and reviews of works by Abdullah II. Bin al-Hussein at perlentaucher.de
King of Jordan
|SURNAME||Abdullah II bin al-Hussein|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||عبد الله الثاني بن الحسين (Arabic)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Jordanian king|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 30, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Amman|