Aggházy was a student of Robert Volkmann , Anton Bruckner and Franz Liszt . From around 1879 he gave concerts as a pianist. From 1883 he worked as a teacher at the Stern Conservatory in Berlin. He later taught at the Nemzeti Zenede in Budapest.
In addition to the opera Maritta , he mainly wrote chamber music and piano pieces.
Music for the stage
- A Borzáné Marcsája (Mrs. Borza's daughter Marie) , Singspiel in 3 acts. Together with: Jenő Hubay. Libretto: Tihané Almási Balogh. First performance: May 8, 1880, Budapest, Volkstheater
- Szép leányok (Beautiful Girls) , music for the play by Gergely Csiky. First performance: February 4, 1881, Budapest, Volkstheater
- A Művészet diadala (Triumph of Art) , pantomime in 1 act (op. 28). Libretto: K. Pejacsevich. Composed in 1894
- Maritta, a korsós Madonna (Maritta, the Madonna with the jug) , opera in 2 acts (op. 32). Libretto: Irene K. Fuhrmann. Composed in 1895. First performed: October 14, 1897, Budapest, Royal Opera House. The subject is taken from the book The Monasteries of Christendom. The action takes place in the Spanish monastery of Yuste
- A Ravennai nász (The Wedding of Ravenna) , opera in 2 acts. Libretto: Dezső Orbán. Composed in 1908. Not listed.
Instrumental and vocal music
- Elégia for piano, dedicated to Aloyse Bodó
- Etude de concert for piano op. 21, dedicated to Franz Liszt
- Poëmes hongroise for piano 4 hands op. 13, published in 1887 by Bote & Bock in Berlin
- Danse de Noces for piano four hands op. 15, published in 1890 by Harmonia in Budapest
- Suite hongroise for piano four hands op. 19, published in 1890 by Harmonia in Budapest. I Mélodie II Danse III Intermezzo IV Rhapsody
- Trois Mazurkas for piano op.26, 1895
- Four piano pieces op. 41 I Duo II Ritornello III Badinage IV Prelude and Fugue , published in 1912 by D. Rather in Leipzig
- Six songs for a voice with piano accompaniment op. 30, dedicated to Raimund Zur-Mühlen, published by C. Kieslers Musikverlag in Leipzig. I In the wonderful month of May Text: Heinrich Heine II The flowers are looking III Rogue song IV This is a roar V Tell me who once VI Death
- Serenata alla Chitarra for piano, published by Weinholtz in Berlin in 1885
- Sonata dramatique for piano and violin , composed around 1885
- Valse sentimentale , composed around 1885
- Spiritual variations on Es ist ein Ros sprung for piano
- Piano quintet in G minor, 1897
- Wilibald Gurlitt , Carl Dahlhaus (editor): Riemann Musik-Lexikon. In three volumes and two supplementary volumes. Agghazy, Carolus. 12th completely revised edition. 1. Personal section A – KB Schotts-Söhne, Mainz 1959, p. 11 (first edition: 1882).
- Wilibald Gurlitt , Carl Dahlhaus (editor): Riemann Musik-Lexikon. In three volumes and two supplementary volumes. Aggházy, Károly. 12th completely revised edition. 4. Supplementary volume, personal section A – KB Schotts-Söhne, Mainz 1972, p. 8 (first edition: 1882).
- Aggházy Károly in Magyar Életrajzi Lexicon (Hungarian)
- List of stage works by Károly Aggházy based on the MGG at Operone
- Sheet music and audio files by Károly Aggházy in the International Music Score Library Project
- elegia as digitized in the International Music Score Library Project
- Etude de concert op. 21 as a digitized version in the International Music Score Library Project
- Four piano pieces op.41 as a digital copy in the International Music Score Library Project
- Six songs op. 30 as a digitized version in the International Music Score Library Project
- Riemann Musiklexikon, 1959.
- Major and minor . In: Signals for the musical world . tape 37 , no. 8 . Leipzig January 1879, p. 120 ( onb.ac.at ).
- August Beer: Maritta . In: Pester Lloyd . Budapest October 15, 1897, p. 2, 7 ( onb.ac.at ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Aggházy, Carolus; Aggházy, Carl; Aggházy, Cároly|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian pianist and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 30, 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||pest|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 8, 1918|
|Place of death||Budapest|