Minor first attended the Schottengymnasium in Vienna. Since he was unable to become an actor due to a hearing defect, he studied German at the University of Vienna with Karl Tomaschek (1828–1878) and Richard Heinzel and received his doctorate there in 1878. After a year at the University of Berlin with Karl Müllenhoff and Wilhelm Scherer , he completed his habilitation 1880 for German language and literature.
In 1885 he returned to Vienna, where he was initially associate professor and from 1888 professor for German language and literature, succeeding Erich Schmidt . In 1898 he became a corresponding member and in 1905 a full member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences .
- Christian Felix Weisse and His Relationship to Eighteenth Century German Literature (Innsbruck 1880) ( online )
- Studies in Goethe Philology (Vienna 1880; with August Sauer )
- Johann Georg Hamann in its importance for the Sturm und Drang period. Frankfurt a. M .: Ruetten & Loening, 1882
- The fate tragedy in its main representatives. Frankfurt a. M .: Ruetten & Loening, 1883
- Schiller. His life and his works. 2 vols. Berlin: Weidmann, 1890
- Ferdinand of Saar. A study. Leipzig; Vienna: Fromme, 1898
- Goethe's Faust. History of origin and explanation. 2 vols. Stuttgart: Cotta, 1901
- From the old and new Burgtheater. Zurich [u. a.]: Almathea Verl., 1920
- Friedrich Schlegel . His prosaic youth writings 1794–1802. 2 vols. Konegen, Vienna 1882.
- Lessing's childhood friends. Christian Felix Weisse, Johann Friedrich von Cronegk , Joachim Wilhelm von Brawe , Friedrich Nicolai (1883)
- Novalis ' writings (1907, 4 volumes)
- Ferdinand von Saars Complete Works (1908, 12 volumes)
In 1930 the Minorgasse in Vienna- Penzing (14th district) was named after him.
- Sebastian Meissl: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 17, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1994, ISBN 3-428-00198-2 , pp. 543-545 ( version ). In:
- Moriz Enzinger : In: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 6, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1975, ISBN 3-7001-0128-7 , p. 311 f. (Direct links on , ).
- Directory of the writings of Jakob Minor (1913, edited by Rita Zoebl-Minor)
- Sigfrid Faerber: I am Chinese. The Viennese literary historian Jakob Minor and his letters to August Sauer. Frankfurt / M .: Lang, 2004. ( Review )
- History of the Austrian Goethe Society , accessed on May 22, 2011.
- Jakob Minor grave site , Vienna, Zentralfriedhof, Group 43, Group Extension A, Row 4, No. 21.
- Literature by and about Jakob Minor in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Jakob Minor in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 15, 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 7, 1912|
|Place of death||Vienna|