August Sauer attended the Schottengymnasium in Vienna and graduated from high school in 1873 . He then studied German philology , English and history at the University of Vienna . In 1877 he was promoted to Dr. phil. PhD . After studying in Berlin , he completed his habilitation in Vienna in 1879. This was followed by academic intermediate positions at the University of Lemberg and the Karl-Franzens University of Graz . In 1892 he followed the call of the Karl Ferdinand University to the chair for German language and literature. In 1907/08 he was rector of the university. He was the editor of works by Johann Wilhelm Ludwig Gleim , Ferdinand Raimund and Franz Grillparzer .
- Corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (1903)
- Councilor (1912)
- Corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (1915)
- Member of the German Music Academy Prague (1921)
- Ring of Honor of the City of Vienna (1925)
- Honorary member of the Modern Language Association
- Joachim Wilhelm von Brawe, Lessing's pupil (1878)
- with Jakob Minor : Studies on Goethe Philology (1880)
- Ewald von Kleist's works. Part 1-3. Ed. U. accompanied with annotations (1881–1882) (digitized version)
- Images of women from the heyday of German literature (1885)
- The concept of landscape , in: Berliner Börsen-Courier No. 439 of September 21, 1926. First supplement, p. 1 (Sauer's last newspaper article)
- R. Pichl: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 9, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1988, ISBN 3-7001-1483-4 , p. 438 f. (Direct links on , ). In:
- Stefan Jordan: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 22, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11203-2 , p. 451 f. ( ). In:
- Sigfrid Faerber : I am Chinese. The Viennese literary historian Jakob Minor and his letters to August Sauer. Frankfurt / M .: Lang, 2004. ( Review )
- Steffen Höhne (Ed.): August Sauer (1855-1926) - an intellectual in Prague in the field of tension between cultural and scientific politics. Vienna 2011, ISBN 978-3-412-20622-2 .
- Georg Stefansky : August Sauer , Stuttgart 1927.
- Literature by and about August Sauer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on August Sauer in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Partial estate of August Sauer (ÖNB)
- sauer-seuffert.onb.ac.at : The correspondence between August Sauer and Bernhard Seuffert 1880 to 1926. Digital edition , ed. v. Bernhard Fetz , Hans-Harald Müller , Marcel Illetschko, Mirko Nottscheid and Desiree Hebenstreit, Vienna: Austrian National Library 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian Germanist and literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 12, 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wiener Neustadt , Lower Austria|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 17, 1926|
|Place of death||Prague|