Erich Schmidt (literary scholar)
After studying with Wilhelm Scherer , he was from 1875 private lecturer in literary history and from 1877 associate professor for German philology in Strasbourg , from 1880 then full professor in Vienna . In 1885 he became director of the Goethe Archive in Weimar . In 1887 he received a professorship for German language and literature at the Friedrich Wilhelms University in Berlin. In 1890 he gave the keynote address at the inauguration of the Lessing monument in Berlin's Tiergarten . From 1909 to 1910 he was rector of the university. From 1906 until his death he was President of the Goethe Society in Weimar. In 1895 he was accepted as a full member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences . The author and women's rights activist Helene Stöcker , who studied with him in Berlin in the 1890s, describes Schmidt as a “beautiful appearance, agile, amiable, cosmopolitan, with a large group of schoolchildren around them, most of whom adored him. “In 1904, the women's rights activist Gertrud Bäumer was one of the first women in Germany to receive her doctorate .
Erich Schmidt's final resting place is a family grave in Cemetery IV of the Jerusalems- und Neue Kirche congregation on Bergmannstrasse in Berlin-Kreuzberg , which was preserved from 1990 to 2012 as an honorary grave for the State of Berlin .
- Wolfgang Höppner: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 23, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-11204-3 , p. 182 f. ( ). In:
- Eberhard Lämmert u. Werner Richter (Ed.): Wilhelm Scherer, Erich Schmidt. Correspondence. Erich Schmidt, Berlin 1963.
- Literature by and about Erich Schmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Erich Schmidt in the German Digital Library
- Schmidts manuscripts and letters in libraries and archives
- The small encyclopedia , Encyclios-Verlag, Zurich, 1950, volume 2, page 553
- address for the unveiling of the Berlin Lessing monument
- Jörg Kuhn: Otto Lessing (1846-1912). Sculptor, painter, craftsman . Phil. Diss. FU Berlin 1994 (On the Lessing Monument and the ceremonial inauguration by Erich Schmidt)
- Members of the previous academies. Erich Schmidt. Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities , accessed on June 12, 2015 .
- Helene Stöcker: Memoirs, ed. by Reinhold Lütgemeier-Davin u. Kerstin Wolff. Cologne: Böhlau, 2015, 55.
- Angelika Schaser: Helene Lange and Gertrud Bäumer. A political community. Cologne: Böhlau, 2010, 104–106.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 20, 1853|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Jena|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 29, 1913|
|Place of death||Berlin|