Ernst von Wolzüge
Ernst von Wolhaben came from the Lower Austrian nobility and was raised by an English governess . He studied German literature, philosophy and art history in Strasbourg and Leipzig . Afterwards he was a reader of the Grand Duke of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach . In 1882 he moved to Berlin , where he first became a publisher's editor and then a freelance writer . In 1891/92 he was with Martin Greif and Hermann Heiberg on the board of the Association for Book Lovers.
From 1892 to 1899 he lived in Munich , where he founded the Free Literary Society and also came into contact with Sophia Goudstikker . His novel The Third Sex deals with the phenomenon of this woman and her friends. Then he returned to Berlin and started the first German cabaret with the Überbrettl (the term was evidently intended as an ironic allusion to Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of the "Übermenschen"). That earned him the name "Brettl-Baron". He had to end his cabaret project in 1902 due to economic difficulties, and in 1905 he moved to Darmstadt . After another attempt to found a theater in Berlin, he finally went to Bavaria in 1918 and settled in Puppling near Wolfratshausen .
As an opponent of the Weimar Republic , he wrote anti-democratic cabaret verses as early as 1921. In November 1932 he published an election call for Hitler in the Völkischer Beobachter , in which Hitler was described as " the candidate of the German intellectual world ".
Wolzog died in Puppling on July 30, 1934 at the age of 79. His grave is in the Kalbsrieth cemetery .
He had been married to the singer Elsa Laura von Wolehmen since 1902 .
In the Soviet occupation zone his writings Mein Vortragsbuch (1922) and How I Killed Myself (1923) and in the German Democratic Republic When the Old Towers Fall (1925) were placed on the list of literature to be discarded.
Works (in selection)
Novels and short stories
- The Children of Your Excellency , Roman. Engelhorn, Stuttgart 1888 (Engelhorn's General Novel Library)
- The Great Comteess , Roman, 1890
- The cool blonde . Berlin moral image in two volumes. Engelhorn, Stuttgart 1891 (Engelhorn's General Novel Library)
- Experienced, heard, lies . Berlin 1892
- The heir to the throne . Novel in two volumes. Engelhorn, Stuttgart 1892. 152 p. (Engelhorns Allgemeine Romanbibliothek, Salon - Issue No. 3)
- The good crocodile and other stories from Italy , 1893
- The derailed. A catastrophe in seven days and one evening before , 1894
- Die Erbschleicherinnen , novel in two volumes, 1895
- Ecce ego - I'll come first! Novel 1896
- The Gloria Pants. 's Meikatel and the Sexack. Two stories , 1897
The Kraft Mayr . A humorous novel by musicians. 1897 ( filmed in 1935 with Paul Hörbiger under the title If the music wasn't )
- The Kraft Mayr . A humorous novel by musicians. (To Franz Liszt). Singer, Berlin 1933. 399 pp.
- The Kraft Mayr . A humorous novel by musicians. (To Franz Liszt). Juncker, Berlin 1940. 399 pp.
- Tales of Sweet Girls , short stories, 1898
The third gender . Roman, 1899
- The third gender . Novel. Weichert, Berlin 1930. 320 pp.
- A royal woman. And other stories from Munich Carnival , 1900
- The poor sinner , novel in two volumes, 1902
- Vom Peperl and other rarities , 1902
- What happened to Uncle Oskar with his mother-in-law in America , 1904
- From Schnurrpfeifer's bag of lies. 10 fairy tales for clever children , 1908
The Grand Duchess a. D. Roman. 1908
- The Grand Duchess a. D. Roman. Engelhorn, Stuttgart 1922
- The Grand Duchess a. D. Roman. Kulturelle Verlags-Gesellschaft, Berlin-Wilmersdorf, 1935. 288 pp.
- The Grand Duchess a. D. Roman. Peter Oestergaard, Berlin-Schöneberg, 1938, 288 pp.
- The bible bunny. An incident from the Friderician period , Roman, 1908
- My first adventure and other short stories , 1910
- Sorrowful Beauty , novel, 1910
- The imperial maneuver and other stories , 1911
- The poet in Dollarica . Pieces of flowers, fruit and thorns from the fairy tale of the unconditional present. 1912 ( digitized version )
The Lifesaver and Other Tales , 1912
- The Lifesaver and Other Stories , 1921
- The baptism of fire , 1912
The gentleman in high boots and other humoresques. 1913
- The gentleman in high boots and other humoresques. Hillger, Berlin, Leipzig, 1931. 111 pp. (Kürschner's book treasure. New edition, No. 135a)
Peter Karn . Life, love and suffering of a German musician. Novel. 1914
- Peter Karn . Life, love and suffering of a German musician. Novel. Kulturelle Verlags-Gesellschaft, Berlin 1935. 315 pp.
- The Cuckoo's Egg and Other Funny Stories , 1914
- Landsturm in the fire , 1915
- The girl with the swans , three stories, 1916
Damned Love , novel, 1919
- Damn love . Novel. New edition. 4th - 6th thousand Sonnemann-Verlag, Halle (Saale) 1926. 345 pp.
- The good old German Schwankbuch . That is: good tales and loose swans ... Verlag der Freunde, Wolfenbüttel 1922
- The arch heretic . A novel about the suffering of the truthful. (New edition). G. Westermann, Braunschweig, Hamburg 1924. 490 pp.
- Sem - the fellow citizen . Novel. Brunnen-Verlag, Berlin 1924. 255 pp. (Series: New German Novels)
When the old towers fall . Novel. Eysler, Berlin 1925. 303 p. ( Digitized version )
- When the old towers fall . Novel. Neuthor-Verlag, Michelstadt 1996. 246 pp.
- The battlefield of the Savior . Novel. Frundsberg-Verlag, Magdeburg 1926. 308 pp.
- North German stories . G. Westermann, Braunschweig & Hamburg 1926. 291 pp.
The pot of the Danaids . Story from the German Bohême. Hillger, Berlin, Leipzig 1927. 127 pp. (Kürschner's Treasure of Books, No. 6)
- The pot of the Danaids . Story from the German Bohême. Hillger, Berlin, Leipzig 1929. 127 pp. (Kürschner's treasure of books. New edition, No. 30)
- He photographs! , A Nervous Story in Verse, 1890
- Verses About My Life , 1907
Plays and music
- The rascals . Tragic comedy in three acts. Fontane, Berlin 1892, VI, 80 pp.
- The Excellency's Children , Comedy, 1893
- Daniela Weert , 1894
- Distress . A song poem , music by Richard Strauss , 1901
- The May Bride. A consecration game in 3 acts , 1909
- A princely cuff, game in 5 acts , 1912
- King Karl , tragedy, 1914
- Daniel in the Lions' Den , burlesque opera, music by Amélie Nikisch , 1914
- Female , comedy, 1915
- The whip , play, 1918
The way of the cross . Dramatic poem in six pictures. Sonnemann - Verlag, Halle (Saale) 1926
- The way of the cross : Third day: Fausti Ascension or The German Devil . The music for the plot from the author. Sonnemann - Verlag, Halle (Saale) 1926. 114 p. (Also digitized edition)
- The German devil . Dramatic poem. Rather, Munich 1933. 104 pp.
- As I got me killed . Memories and experiences. G. Westermann, Braunschweig & Hamburg 1922. 327 pp.
- Wilkie Collins . A critical biographical attempt , 1885 ( digitized version )
- George Eliot , 1885
- Views and prospects. Collected studies of music, literature, and theater , 1908
- Dr Porphyrius Dermenjoglus Strange Clinic , 1910
- Hard words to be said 1919
- Englishman , 1920
- Open letter to the Christian nobility of the German nation , 1920
- My lecture book . Serious and cheerful lecture pieces. Universal-Verlag, Munich / Leipzig 1922
- Grand masters of German music: Bach - Mozart - Beethoven - Weber - Wagner . Bosse, Regensburg 1924
- Legends of the Edda , 1929
- Hans von Schweinichen: Own biography , 1885
- Lauensteiner Hexameron or the stories of the six prison beards from over there and over there . Verlag der Freunde, Wolfenbüttel 1924, 151 pp.
- Pergival Pollard: Entente cordiale between art and music hall. How some poets decided that popular tunes should have poetic words. Hence the "Cabaret" and other festive things . In: New York Times . August 30, 1908.
- Amelia von Ende: A representative "young german". Ernst Freiherr von Wolzüge. Novelist, Playwright, and Musician . In: New York Times January 7, 1911.
- OH Brandt : Ernst von Wolzüge . In: The beautiful literature . 29, H. 10, October 1928, , pp. 465-474 [with detailed bibliography, compiled. v. Ernst Metelmann].
- Stephan Kohler: The father of "Überbrettl". Ernst von Wolzüge in correspondence with Richard Strauss . In: Yearbook of the Bavarian State Opera . 3, 1979/80, , pp. 100–120 [the correspondence mainly concerns Wolzogen's libretto for Strauss' opera “Feuersnot”, the new production of which was performed on July 11, 1980 at the Munich National Theater].
- Angela Gudrun Schmitt: Ernst von Woliehen as a theater maker. Munich - Berlin. From the naturalistic-oriented experimental theater to the literary cabaret stage . Master's thesis at the Institute for Theater Studies at the Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich 1984 (Reviewer: Dieter Borchmeyer ), [So far the only scientific monograph that also emphasizes Wolzogen's central artistic intention. With a detailed bibliography and a rarity in the appendix: the handwritten “House rules for the 'Colorful Theater'” with the signatures of all ensemble members].
- Ernst von Wolzüge: humor and naturalism . (1890). In: Manfred Brauneck , Christine Müller (ed.): Naturalism . Metzler, Stuttgart 1987, pp. 403–407 ( manifestos and documents on German literature 1880–1900 ).
- Theodor Lessing : Review. E. v. Wolzug: "Der Kraftmayr" (Göttinger Zeitung, November 17, 1906). In: Theodor Lessing: Night Critics. Small writings 1906–1907 . Edited by Rainer Marwedel. Wallstein, Göttingen 2005, pp. 71-175 [pointed, important criticism of Wolo's bestseller].
- Frank Eberhardt: The “Colorful Theater” on Köpenicker Strasse . In: Berlin monthly magazine ( Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein ) . Issue 8, 2000, ISSN 0944-5560 , p. 49-58 ( luise-berlin.de ).
- Literature by and about Ernst von Wolzüge in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Ernst von Wolzüge in the German Digital Library
- Works by Ernst von Wolzüge in the Gutenberg-DE project
- Ernst von Wolzüge in Monacensia
- Partial estate in the Bavarian State Library
- Grave site of Ernst von Wolzüge on knerger.de
- Wolzog, Ernst Ludwig Freiherr von. Hessian biography. (As of April 23, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Helene Stöcker: Memoirs. The Unfinished Autobiography of a Woman Moving Pacifist , ed. by Reinhold Lütgemeier-Davin and Kerstin Wolff. Boehlau Verlag, Cologne 2015, p. 84.
- Ernst Klee : The cultural lexicon for the Third Reich. Who was what before and after 1945. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2007, ISBN 978-3-10-039326-5 , p. 675.
- German Administration for Popular Education in the Soviet Occupation Zone , accessed on December 15, 2012
- Letter W, list of literature to be discarded. Published by the Ministry for National Education of the German Democratic Republic. Third addendum from April 1, 1952 (Berlin: VEB Deutscher Zentralverlag, 1953). .
|SURNAME||Wolzüge, Ernst von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wolzog, Ernst Freiherr von (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer and founder of cabaret in Germany|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 23, 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wroclaw|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 30, 1934|
|Place of death||Puppling|