Luisenstadt educational association
The Berlin Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein e. V. was founded on May 29, 1991. The main goal of the association was the research and dissemination of the history of Berlin and Brandenburg . The association was dissolved on December 31, 2014.
The founder and managing director of the social and cultural history association was the philosopher and historian Hans-Jürgen Mende , a co-founder of the historian Kurt Wernicke. The name Luisenstadt was intended to express that the association feels connected to the Berlin Enlightenment and, derived from it, adopts the principles of tolerance: Berlin's Luisenstadt was once shaped by Germans, Huguenots and Bohemians. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the association campaigned to support and promote the coexistence and growing together of Germans in East and West.
The association organized lectures and guided tours, had a historical information service ready, operated a database on Berlin history , set up a Berlin library and published the Berlin monthly from April 1992 to June 2001 . The association financed its employees through public funding projects; in the 1990s, up to several hundred employees were involved. In 2008 the online encyclopedia included a street name directory with 14,000 entries, extensive district encyclopedias for Mitte , Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg and Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf as well as a Berlin chronicle with 27,000 lemmas and the portraits of 183 mayors since the Middle Ages.
Immediately before Christmas 2008, the association's board of directors removed all of its internet content from the server. Only the main page remained active, the measure was justified with the lack of financial support from the Berlin Senate. Since 2007, the association has not received funding from the Senate and the Federal Labor Office for " ABM measures ". At the beginning of 2009, Mende asked then Mayor Wowereit for financial support for various publications on the history of the city. By 2006 around 40,000 to 50,000 photos of Berlin had been digitized, but due to a lack of funds, the images could not be uploaded so far.
In mid-July 2009 the databases of the server could be activated again for the network through an agreement with kaupert media gmbh . The Kaupert media gmbh took over the complete data bank of existing Internet site of Luis Municipal Education Association and worked on a common Internet site at the address berlin.kauperts.de .
In 2014 the general meeting decided to dissolve the association at the end of the year. The Association for the History of Berlin has taken over the holdings of the extensive library into its library.
A selection of works published and edited by Edition Luisenstadt :
- Hainer Weißpflug, Kathrin Chod, Herbert Schwenk: Berliner Bezirkslexikon . Ed .: Hans-Jürgen Mende , Kurt Wernicke. Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein, Haude and Spener, Berlin (Edition Luisenstadt; Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf  ISBN 3-7759-0479-4 , Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg  ISBN 3-8954-2122-7 , Mitte  ISBN 3-8954 -2111-1 ).
- Hans-Jürgen Mende (Hrsg.): Lexicon - All Berlin streets and squares - From the foundation to the present . Neues Leben, Berlin 1998, ISBN 3-355-01491-5 ( Edition Luisenstadt , 4 volumes, 2300 pages).
- Kurt Wernicke: A Millennium of German History in a European Context. An overview . Ed .: Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein. Trafo, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-89626-585-2 .
- Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein e. V.
- Publications of Edition Luisenstadt
- Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein - 15 years in the service of Berlin . ( Memento from July 14, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Kultstral. The Stralauer Webmagazin, No. 34, July / August 2006 ( scroll down ) via Internet Archive
Sven Jansen: Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein - 15 years in the service of Berlin . Kultstral, No. 34, July / August 2006
A brief portrait . Luisenstadt educational association
- Newsletter No. 12/2014 of the Association for the History of Berlin; Retrieved August 21, 2015
- Lothar Heinke : Information portal 'Luise'. A piece of Berlin disappears from the Internet . In: Der Tagesspiegel , February 2, 2009
Andreas Gandzior: neu mit Chair of their own history . In: Die Welt , November 18, 2007
Matthias Matussek : Split off from the people's body . In: Der Spiegel . No. 1 , 1990, p. 140-141 ( online ).
- fü: Bildungsverein must take Berlin Lexicon from the Internet . In: Die Welt , December 27, 2008
Kauperts saves Luise . kaupertmedia.de July 15, 2009
Kauperts rescues Luise - famous Berlin archive saved from closure . openpr.de July 15, 2009