Friedrich Wilhelm Carl Gemoll (born November 21, 1850 in Pyritz , Pomerania ; † April 25, 1934 in Liegnitz ) was a German grammar school director and classical philologist , whose name is best known for his Greek-German school and concise dictionary .
Wilhelm Gemoll graduated from high school in his hometown Pyritz in 1869. His subsequent studies were interrupted for a year by military service in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 (as a reservist he was promoted to secondary lieutenant in 1875 ). Gemoll received his doctorate in 1872 with a thesis on the letters of Pliny in Halle and passed the examination for the higher teaching post in 1873. After completing his training in a seminar year at the grammar school in his hometown of Pyritz, he was a teacher in various places in Lower Silesia from 1874, initially for half a year at the grammar school in Wohlau , and from October 1874 to March 1881 at the municipal grammar school in Ohlau. In 1881 Gemoll became rector of the Realprogymnasium in Striegau , in 1884 director of the grammar school in Kreuzburg in Upper Silesia . Finally in 1889 he went to the municipal evangelical high school in Liegnitz as director . After a sports accident shortly before Christmas 1912 and a stroke a little later, Gemoll was unable to walk and retired in 1913.
His older brother was the classical philologist Albert Gemoll, born in 1847 .
Gemoll is today primarily as the author of Ancient Greek - German - dictionary Greek-German school and Handwörterbuch known, the first time in 1908 appeared and currently is in the 10th edition as revised edition (Fall 2006). It is one of the standard works for teaching ancient Greek and includes the vocabulary of the ancient authors Aeschylus , Aristophanes , Aristotle , Arrian , Bakchylides , Demosthenes , Euripides , Herodotus , Hesiod , Homer , Isaios , Isocrates , Lukian , Lykurgos , Lysias , New Testament , Pindar , Plato , Plutarch , Polybios , Sophocles , Thucydides , Theocritus , Timotheus , Xenophon . In addition, it also takes into account other rarer sources such as the ostraca and papyri edited by Ulrich Wilcken , Theodor Preger's Inscriptiones Graecae metricae or Wilhelm Dittenberger's Sylloge inscriptionum Graecarum .
- De temporum ratione in Plinii epistularum IX. libris observata . 1872, OCLC 250762120 (Dissertation University of Halle 1872, 34 pages, versionhttp: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A10996180_00001~SZ%3D~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D )
- Adnotationes criticae in L. Annaei Senecae Dialogos . Ohlau 1877 program.
- Hygini Gromatici liber de Munitionibus castrorum . Teubner, Leipzig 1879.
- Investigations into the sources, the author and the time of writing the Geoponica . Calvary, Berlin 1883. Reprint 1972, 2003: Sendet Reprint Verlag, Vaduz 2003, ISBN 978-3-500-24630-7 .
- Nepualii fragmentum peri ton kata antipatheian kai sympatheian et Democriti peri sympatheion kai antipatheion recensuit, adnotationes et prolegomena adieci . Striegau 1884 program.
- Adnotationes criticae in L. Annaei Senecae epistulas morales . Kreuzburg 1886 program.
- Contributions to the criticism and explanation of Xenophon's anabasis . Kreuzburg program 1888/1889.
- Critical remarks on Latin writers . Liegnitz 1890 program.
- with Albert Gemoll: Critical sheets . Striegau 1890.
- The realities with Horace . 4 volumes. Gaertner, Berlin 1892–95.
- (Ed.): Xenophontis Expeditio Cyri . Editio maior. Teubner, Leipzig 1899. New edition 1909. Editio minor 1903.
- The manuscripts of the Petro-Pauline Church Library in Liegnitz . Liegnitz 1900 program.
- Notes on Xenophon's anabasis . Liegnitz 1906 program.
- Greek-German school and manual dictionary . Tempsky, Vienna / Freytag, Leipzig 1908. ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A10930493_00001~SZ%3D~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D )
- Announcements of the history and antiquity association in Liegnitz . H. 3, 1909-1910, pp. 301-304.
- Thomas More's Utopia . In: Festschrift for the 600th anniversary of the secondary school in Liegnitz on October 20 and 21, 1909. Seyffarth, Liegnitz 1910, pp. 1–10.
- Xenophon: anabasis. Text output for school use . 4th edition. Teubner, Leipzig 1910. 9th edition 1937.
- On the criticism and explanation of Xenophon's kyrupedia . Liegnitz 1912 program ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0Absb00094503~SZ%3D~doppelseiten%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D )
- Xenophontis Institutio Cyri . Editio maior. Teubner, Leipzig 1912. Editio minor ibid.
- School dictionary on Xenophons Anabasis, Hellenika and memorabilia . 2nd impression. Tempsky, Vienna / Freytag, Leipzig 1920.
- The apophthegma. Literary historical study . Hölder-Pichler-Tempsky, Vienna / Freytag, Leipzig 1924.
- Norbert Thiel: Gemoll, Friedrich Wilhelm Karl . In: Hubert Unverricht (Hrsg.): Liegnitzer Lebensbilder of the city and district. Volume 1: A-L . Hofheim / Taunus 2001, pp. 176–182 (with picture)
- Literature by and about Wilhelm Gemoll in the catalog of the German National Library
- Personal form from Wilhelm Gemoll in the personal file of the BIL expert body in the archive database of the Library for Research on Educational History (BBF)
- Online version of the 1st edition of the dictionary
- So the personnel sheet. Wilhelm Pökel , Philological Writer's Lexicon , Krüger, Leipzig 1882, p. 91, mixes the information on Wilhelm Gemoll with those on his brother Albert.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gemoll, Friedrich Wilhelm Carl (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 21, 1850|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pyritz|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 25, 1934|
|Place of death||Liegnitz|