Carl Edvard Cohen Brandes (born October 21, 1847 in Copenhagen , † December 20, 1931 ibid) was a Danish politician of the party Det Radikal Venstre , theater critic, playwright and novelist.
Edvard Brandes is the brother of Georg Brandes , whom he helped with his ideas and projects all his life. Brandes studied Philology and Linguistics at the University of Copenhagen . After graduation, from 1871 to 1904, he worked a. a. as a theater critic and above all supported modern socio-critical drama . Henrik Ibsen , Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson and August Strindberg appreciated his criticism. Together with Viggo Hørup and Hermann Meyer Bing , Brandes founded the newspaper Politiken , of which he was also editor-in-chief from 1901 to 1904. From 1909 to 1910 Brandes was appointed finance minister in his country. From 1913 to 1920 he held this post again.
Alongside his brother Georg, Edvard Brandes was one of the most important figures in the liberal bourgeoisie in Denmark at the end of the 19th century. He was an important dramaturge . His pieces, which were regularly performed in his time, are currently not performed.
- 1889: A politician (En politiker)
- 1898: The blinding work of happiness (Lykkens Blændværk)
- 1899: The young blood (Det unge Blod)
- 1881: Medicines (Lægemidler)
- 1882: a visit (Et Besøg)
- 1882: On rocky ground (Paa gyngende Grund)
- 1883: Garman & Worse (Garman & Worse), stage adaptation of the novel by Kielland
- 1884: An engagement (En Forlovelse)
- 1885: A Break (Et Brud)
- 1888: superiority (Overmagt)
- 1891: According to the law (Under Loven)
- 1895: Asgerd (Asgerd)
- 1898: Little Drama (Smaa Skuespil)
- 1901: The prima donna (prima donna)
- 1904: Hard on hard (Hårdt mod hårdt)
- 1904: Vera (Vera)
Writings on the theater
- 1880: Dansk Skuespilkunst
- 1881: Fremmed Skuespilkunst
- 1898: Holberg og hans Scene
- Kristian Hvidt: Edvard Brandes . Gyldendal, Copenhagen 1987, ISBN 978-87-02-03860-6 .
- Birgitt Müller: Brandes, Edvard , in: Handbuch des Antisemitismus , Volume 2/1, 2009, p. 98f.
- Literature by and about Edvard Brandes in the catalog of the German National Library
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Brandes, Carl Edvard Cohen (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish cultural politician and writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 21, 1847|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Copenhagen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 20, 1931|
|Place of death||Copenhagen|