Railways , historic railroad administration called, are public or privately organized companies , the railway -Verkehrsleistungen provide ( railway companies , power supply companies) or railway infrastructure operate ( railway infrastructure companies , EIU). However, this also includes wagon keepers who do not have their own license to drive on routes (e.g. VTG AG ).
Definition in EU law
Directive 2001/14 EC defines railway undertakings in Article 2 as follows:
“(J) any public or private company authorized under applicable Community law whose main activity is the provision of rail transport services for the transport of goods and / or people, whereby this company must ensure traction; this also includes companies that only provide traction; "
The Regulation (EU) no. 1370/2007 extended this concept to the effect that the railway traffic performance is no longer the main activity of the company must.
- List of African Railway Companies
- List of Asian Railway Companies
- List of European railway companies
- List of North American Railroad Companies
- List of South American Railway Companies
- List of railway companies in Oceania
- List of German railway companies
- List of Austrian railway companies
- List of Swedish railway companies
- List of Swiss railway companies
- List of railway companies in the United Kingdom