Joseph Victor Widmann
Joseph Victor Widmann (also: Joseph Viktor Widmann and Josef Viktor Widmann ; born February 20, 1842 in Nennowitz (Brněnské Ivanovice), now part of Brno ; † November 6, 1911 in Bern ) was a Swiss writer , editor , columnist , literary critic and Journalist .
Life, work and aftermath
Widmann spent his childhood and youth in the rectory of Liestal , where his father Joseph Otto Widmann, a former Cistercian monk from Heiligenkreuz Abbey , was a reformed city pastor. A frequent guest in the rectory was Widmann's friend Carl Spitteler, who was three years his junior . After attending school in Liestal and Basel, he studied Protestant theology and philosophy in Basel, Heidelberg and Jena. In 1865 Widmann married Carl Spitteler's widowed aunt Sophie Brodbeck, b. Ernst (1836–1911), from Winterthur . In 1868 he became director of the Bern residents 'girls' school, but in 1880 - despite his extraordinary popularity with students - he was relieved of his post or not re-elected because, in the opinion of the authorities , his epics Buddha and Moses and Zipora express a " corrosive worldview" brought. From 1880 he was feuilleton -Redaktor at the Bern newspaper Der Bund .
Widmann acquired the house on the "Murihalde" in Bern from the mother of the later artist and writer Bertha Züricher , who reported several times during the Berner Woche about her memories of Widmann in words and pictures .
During his lifetime, Widmann was one of the most influential literary critics and promoters in Switzerland. He encouraged Carl Spitteler to pursue his career as a writer, supported Ida Bindschedler , discovered Ricarda Huch and Robert Walser , whom he helped to get his first publications, traveled through Italy with Johannes Brahms from 1874 and corresponded with Gottfried Keller .
"I have never known anyone who, like he did when he appeared, aroused joy all around and refreshed the courage to face life."
“Meanwhile, his noble liveliness instilled in me the greatest confidence. Encouragement and encouragement emanate from people who are able to charm. "
“You have mastered the great task of writing another Italian trip, and you have blown the bird in front of many newcomers. Even the splitting of the travel subject into two persons, who have to divide each other in views and judgments, is an ingenious grip, like the egg of Columbus, and carried out with as much grace as wisdom, in that with Müslin the extravagant quirk is everywhere in the right place and that makes the humor all the finer. And so what the two gentlemen see and enjoy, in spite of the century that has almost passed since Göthe, still brings so much of the new, unsaid, surprising that the volume of Hesperian literature will in future be integrated. "
«Apart from Leuthold and Gottfried Keller, there is no one among contemporary Swiss poets who could dispute the palm of his hand; Even Gottfried Keller lags behind him when it comes to mastering form. "
Widmann's critical review of Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil in the Bund was one of the earliest reception of Nietzsche and may have won the then almost completely unknown philosopher some readers; Nietzsche himself felt at least partially misunderstood in this.
To commemorate Widmann, the Widmann fountain was built in Bern in 1914 at the southern end of the Hirschengraben (opposite the Bund editorial office at the time ) , which has been adorned by Hermann Haller's bronze statue Young Man with Blue Thrush since 1923 . In Liestal one and was the 1946th a. Widmann's poetry museum opened. On the 50th anniversary of Widmann's death, the Widmann fountain was inaugurated on November 6, 1961 in the playground of the Burg secondary school in Liestal; originally a relief with the title The Saint and the Animals was attached to one side of the basin . There are streets named after J. V. Widmann in Liestal and Thun . In Venice there is a Calle Larga Widmann that merges into the Ponte Widmann (Widmann Bridge), on the other side of which the Sotoportego Widmann branches off to the right in a southerly direction . Widmann's estate is kept in the Liestal Poet and City Museum and in the Bern Burger Library.
"As a poet he has proven himself through his imagination, strength of characteristics, nobility of disposition and an uncommon ease of speech treatment."
“In Joseph Victor Widmann's writings, Dr. Bettelheim repeats the same ideal that fulfills all Viennese poetry from Grillparzer to Saar and Marie Ebner ; this ideal is called: "Peace to the soul". Widmann is the healthy child of a healthy cross between the Austrian and Swiss spirit; the columnist Widmann shows the same grace as the columnists of Vienna. "
«Known to the readers of the“ Bund ”as a brilliant columnist and critic, JV Widmann is at the same time our most versatile and productive poet, who, however, has not yet found the recognition he deserves, although he has been a writer for 30 years in Germany only broke through the barriers of literary cliques with the performance of his play “Beyond Good and Evil”. He is just one of the real poets, and it is well known that in Germanic countries these are only gauged for their meaning at the age of 60 or rather 70, usually long after their death . "
«Several of his much-read travel books […] clearly reveal their columnist origins and really need not be ashamed of them. Because Widmann is one of the not exactly numerous luminaries of the modern art genre brought to life by journalism, which intersperses the studies of the historian, critic and philosopher with elements of lyrical and epic poetry and pours the mixture thus obtained into a new, graceful form that we call feuilleton . The columnist should be an artist, and Widmann is a master of this art. "
«He seems to have retained just as much of the light Viennese blood as serves to pleasantly revive the Swiss national character. Our heavy, tough human pastries can use such sourdough well. "
«Widmann is one of the most subtle poets going there, but his works have not yet reached the people enough. He was one of those poets who, according to Lessing, are more praised than read. "
«Widmann was an exemplary journalist; receptive, cosmopolitan, well-educated, so that he could draw inspiration from the day's processes and combine it with higher points of view, witty, witty, not too easy and not too difficult, more stimulating than instructive, rich in ideas, with all mobility stuck in the basis of character. In addition, he was a poet. He had an admiration that I couldn't understand for Spitteler, for whom he prepared the way as much as possible and whom he placed high above himself; on the other hand, I believe that he, not Spitteler, had the native poetic spirit, even though he may have expressed himself in a limited area. He had a lyrical vein, the lyre was his own, which you put into the hands of poetry when you depict it figuratively. Since Spitteler lacks the lyric-melodic element, I did not want to allow him to be considered a poet. Widmann was too free to be angry with me for this, just as he did not regard me less or give up because Spitteler wanted nothing to do with me. Until his death he tried tirelessly to support me by discussing my books and references; I still sometimes worry that I haven't shown him enough how grateful I felt his kindness. "
«Hold it up and worth it! He loved your country, his mountains, his freedom. He loved you too, and perhaps most of all when, as a stranger, he felt that his being was not rooted in your nationality, that he was called to set up the image of a freer, higher humanity before you. And despite that love, he never flattered you. Don't forget that either! "
Josef Viktor and Sophie Widmann's children were the painter Johanna Viktoria Schäfer-Widmann (1871–1943; see literature: 1939 ), the painter Fritz Widmann (1869–1937), who settled in Zurich in 1899 and lived in the Brahmshaus in Rüschlikon , Maria Clementine (1868–1965), who was briefly married to the editor and local researcher Eligio Pometta , and the writer Max Widmann (1867–1946; see selected volumes , letters and literature: 1922/24 ); his daughter or J. V. Widmann's granddaughter was the actress Ellen Widmann . - Widmann's biographer Elisabeth Widmann (1871–1969; see literature: 1922/24 ), who also wrote for the Bund and its “Sunday paper”, was his half-sister.
- 1905: Bauernfeld Prize
- 1909: Honorary gift from the German Schiller Foundation in Weimar (1,000 marks)
- “Very authoritative people planned” to propose Widmann for the Nobel Prize on the occasion of his 70th birthday , but this had to be avoided due to his sudden death.
- The stolen veil. Dramatized fairy tale based on Musäus . Winterthur 1864.
- Erasmus from Rotterdam. Historical game from the time of the Reformation. (Anonymous.) Winterthur 1865.
- Iphigenia in Delphi. A play. Winterthur 1865.
- Arnold of Brescia. Tragedy in five acts. Frauenfeld 1866.
- Orgetorix. A tragedy. The Swiss people. Frauenfeld 1867 ( PDF, 16.5 MB ).
- Buddha. An epic poem in twenty songs. - Internet Archive , Bern 1869.
The miracle fountain of Is. Versepos. Frauenfeld 1871
- Published in 1872 under a pseudonym as Kalospinthechromokrene or the Wunderbrunnen von Is. A "ride into the old romantic country" with many knight jumps into the modern present. Executed as an epic poem in twelve songs by Messer Lodovico Ariosto Helvetico
- The celebratory poem. Comedy in two acts. Bern 1873.
- Moses and Zipora. A heavenly, earthly idyll in twelve songs. Berlin 1874.
The taming of the resentful . Comical opera in four acts based on Shakespeare's comedy of the same name, freely edited by Joseph Viktor Widmann. Music by Hermann Goetz . Leipzig [approx. 1875] (premiered in Mannheim in 1874).
- Bilingual text book The Taming of the Shrew - The Taming of the Shrew. - Internet Archive , New York after 1910.
- A pleasure in people. Rectory idyll. Zurich 1877 ( digitized 2nd, revised edition).
- Oenone. Tragedy. 1879.
- The queen of the east. Acting in five acts. Zurich 1880.
Rector Müslin's Italian Journey. Travel description. Zurich 1881.
- New edition under the title Rector Müslin in Italy. Basel / Leipzig 1924.
- New edition under the title Rector Müslin's Italian Journey. Novel in Edition Wanderwerk, o. O., 2017.
- From the barrel of the Danaids. Twelve stories. Zurich 1884.
Walks in the Alps. Walking studies and chats. Frauenfeld 1885 ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-rara.ch%2Fzut%2Fcontent%2Ftitleinfo%2F2245281~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~ double-sided% 3D ~ LT% 3DDigitalisat% 20at% 20e-rara.ch ~ PUR% 3D ).
- Changed and increased editions 1892, 1896, 1898, 1909, 1914, 1920.
- The storm. Musical fairy tale in three acts. Text based on Shakespeare's magic comedy, edited by J. V. Widmann. Music by Ernst Frank . Hanover 
- The stone heart. Romantic opera in three acts. Text by JV Widmann freely adapted from a fairy tale by Hauff. Music by Ignaz Brüll . Leipzig 1888 (premiered in Vienna in 1888).
- The patrician. Life picture from modern society. - Internet Archive , novella. Bern 1888.
- Beyond the Gotthard. People, cities and landscapes in Upper and Central Italy. - Internet Archive , Frauenfeld 1888.
- Manasseh. Dramatic poem in 3 scenes by Joseph Victor Widmann for solo voices, choir and orchestra composed by Friedrich Hegar , op. 16 (oratorio). Leipzig; Zurich 
- Manuel Venegas. Opera in a prelude and three acts. (Based on a novella by Alarcon .) Poetry by Jos. V. Widmann. Music by Richard Heuberger . Self-published by the composer [Leipzig 1889].
Cozy stories. Two stories from a small Swiss town (= The Rose Brothers. Idyllic story from the boozy years of several small townspeople and The Lions in the Country Town. Story ). Berlin 1890.
- New edition under the title Cozy Stories. Lüdin, Liestal 1917.
Tourist novels (= Doctor Seyboldt's holiday trip; The hero of the Eiger; The wrong time of Mantua; The devil's salad; A miracle of St. Liszt; The still life; Mr. Quendel's Goethesche Harzreise in the Odenwald ). Stuttgart 1892.
- From: The hero of the Eiger in: German stories from Switzerland (series “Classic Library for German Youth”). New life, Berlin 1956.
- From: The wrong time of Mantua (and autumn days in the Bernese Alps from: Walks in the Alps , edition 1892 ff.). Good writings, Bern 1942.
- Prince and singer. Opera in one act. The poem is executed in verse by JV Widmann according to the composer's idea and plan. Music by Felix Mottl . Berlin [approx. 1893]
- Beyond Good and Evil. Play in three acts. - Internet Archive , Stuttgart 1893.
- The sisters. Opera in three acts by JV Widmann. Music by Franz Kessel . Erfurt J.] (WP on March 14, 1895 in Trier).
- 'I am the enthusiast. Idyll. Frauenfeld 1896.
- The do-gooders and other stories. Book of novels II. Verlag der literary Gesellschaft, Vienna 1896.
- Young and old. Three seals. - Internet Archive (= The Zelter; The Royal Bride; An old Paris ). New, increased edition, Leipzig 1897.
- Cockchafer comedy. - Internet Archive , play in three acts. Frauenfeld 1897.
- Summer hikes and winter trips. - Internet Archive , Frauenfeld 1897 ( digitized version from the University of Tübingen).
Johannes Brahms in memories. - Internet Archive , Berlin 1898.
- Under the title Memories of Johannes Brahms at Rotapfel, Zurich 1980, ISBN 3-85867-100-2 .
- Sicily and other areas of Italy. Journeys with Johannes Brahms told by J. V. Widmann. Frauenfeld 1898 ( archive.org , 2nd edition reviewed by the author / 3rd thousand 1903).
- Lysander's Girl • Oenone. Modern antiques by J. V. Widmann. Frauenfeld 1901.
- Aretin's muse. Drama in four acts. Frauenfeld 1902.
- Ceremony for the opening of the new city theater in Bern in 1903. Bern in 1903.
- Calabria - Apulia and strolling around the northern Italian lakes. Frauenfeld 1904.
- The saint and the animals. Play. Frauenfeld 1905 ( archive.org , 9th / 10th thousand 1911; digitized version of the 1919 edition).
- From the other part of the world. Two stories. Basel 1906.
You beautiful world! New trips and hikes in Switzerland and Italy. Frauenfeld 1907.
- New edition in Edition Wanderwerk, o. O., 2017.
- Modern antiquities. The head of Crassus • Oenone • Lysander's girl. Frauenfeld 1911.
- Poems. Frauenfeld 1912.
Published posthumously (selection)
- Ricarda Yikes. Essays on their seals. Insel-Verlag, Leipzig 1913 (16 pages).
- The death of Heracles. A previously unpublished poetry for music. Separately printed 1913/1914.
- A double life and other stories. Bern 1915.
- Adolescence and other stories. Bern 1915.
Doctor Wild's honeymoon. Narrative. Basel 1923.
- New edition : Edition Wanderwerk, o. O., 2017.
- The do-gooders. Historical novella. Frauenfeld 1923.
- Seven stories. Frauenfeld 1942.
- The wrong time of Mantua. Autumn days in the Bernese Alps. Bern 1942.
- Jugendeselei / Die Hasen von Turfflingen. Two stories. Bern 1949.
- Max Widmann (Ed.): Selected features. - Internet Archive , Frauenfeld 1913
- Jonas Fränkel (Ed.): Features. Bern / Stuttgart 1964.
- Elisabeth Müller, Roland Schärer (Ed.): Dear readers, do not say: No! Selected texts. Cosmos, Muri bei Bern 1986, ISBN 3-305-00170-4 .
- Rudolf Käser, Elsbeth Pulver (ed.): “A journalist out of temperament”. Josef Viktor Widmann. Selected features . Zytglogge, Gümligen 1992, ISBN 3-7296-0426-0 .
- Carl Spitteler: Das Haus Widmann , in the anthology “Autobiographical Writings”, sixth volume “Collected Works” on behalf of the Swiss Confederation. Artemis Verlags-Aktiengesellschaft, Zurich 1947.
- Max Widmann (ed.): Love letters from the young JV Widmann. Basel 1921.
- Max Widmann (eds.): Gottfried Keller and JV Widmann. Correspondence. - Internet Archive , Basel / Leipzig 1922 (excerpts from the Gottfried Keller pages of the University of Zurich).
- Charlotte von Dach (Ed.): Josef Viktor Widmann. Correspondence with Henriette Feuerbach and Ricarda Huch. Introduction by Max Rychner . Artemis, Zurich 1965.
- Werner Stauffacher (ed.): Carl Spitteler - Joseph Viktor Widmann. Correspondence. Haupt, Bern 1998, ISBN 3-258-05679-X .
- Josef Viktor Widmann in the personal dictionary of the canton of Basel-Landschaft.
- Councilor Luck: Josef Viktor Widmann. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Charles Linsmayer : Josef Viktor Widmann 1842–1911 (untitled and untitled) at linsmayer.ch.
- Josef Lang : A Swiss pioneer and pioneer . In: Tages-Anzeiger from July 10, 2018.
- Josef Viktor Widmann at bergliteratur.ch (“Ankers Book of the Week”, February 20, 2017).
- Charles Linsmayer: «That damned amusement» . In: Der Bund from October 31, 2011.
- Daniel Goldstein: A friendship that almost fell by the wayside and a storm at Utzigen Castle . In: Der Bund of October 30, 2011.
- Kosch (gre.) Et. al .: Widmann, Joseph Viktor . In: Deutsches Literatur-Lexikon Volume 31, de Gruyter 2011, Sp. 612–614 ( preview of the book on Google Books).
- Kosch, Bigler-Marschall (Ed.): Widmann, Josef Viktor . In: Deutsches Theater-Lexikon Volume 6, 2008, p. 3311.
- Dirk Strohmann: Josef Victor Widmann . In: Andreas Kotte (Ed.): Theater Lexikon der Schweiz . Volume 3, Chronos, Zurich 2005, ISBN 3-0340-0715-9 , pp. 2092 f.
- The opera projects with the Swiss poet Josef V. Widmann . In: Sibylle Ehrismann (Ed.): "Up on the mountain, deep in the valley ...". The Swiss inspirations of Johannes Brahms . Hug, Zurich 1997, p. 39 ff.
- Kaspar Birkhäuser : Josef Viktor Widmann . In: The Personal Lexicon of the Canton of Basel-Landschaft, Liestal 1997.
- Elsbeth Pulver: The pleasure of the sudden. Josef Viktor Widmann as a literary critic . In: Swiss monthly issue 2/1992, pp. 115–123 ( PDF at e-periodica.ch ).
- Martin Zingg: Josef Viktor Widmann. Kultur-Genie (review on “A journalist made of temperament” ). In: Die Zeit No. 44/1992.
- Werner Günther: Josef Viktor Widmann. In: Poets of modern Switzerland. II. Francke, Bern 1968, pp. 118-185 ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3Ddichterderneuere00gnth~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~doppelseiten%3D~LT%3DDigitalisat~PUR%3Din the Internet Archive). version
- Max Rychner : J. V. Widmann's correspondence with Henriette Feuerbach and Ricarda Huch . In: Swiss monthly magazine - magazine for politics, economy, culture , vol. 44 (1965), pp. 954–967 ( digitized at e-periodica.ch).
- Jonas Fränkel : JV Widmann. 2nd, revised edition. Tschudy, St. Gallen 1960.
- Ursula Müller: Josef Viktor Widmann as columnist and column editor (dissertation). University of Bern 1954.
- Gottfried Bohnenblust: Joseph Victor Widmann. Speech on his hundredth birthday (Abridged version of a Lucerne speech of February 20, 1942). In: Neue Schweizer Rundschau issue 11, March 1942, pp. 690–699 ( digitized from e-periodica.ch).
- Charlot Strasser : Josef Viktor Widmann on his hundredth birthday. The poet and cultural educator of the people (commemorative publication for the 100th birthday). Oprecht, Zurich 1942.
- Hans Kaeslin: Arnold Ott, Carl Spitteler, Josef Viktor Widmann. Memories. In: Aarauer Neujahrsblätter 1941, pp. 29–34 ( digitized at e-periodica.ch).
- Josef Viktor Widmann and the Duke of Meiningen. Memories from Johanna Viktoria Schäfer-Widmann . In: Sunday newspaper of Basler Nachrichten , vol. 33, no. 23 of June 4, 1939, p. 89 f.
- Maria Waser : Josef Viktor Widmann. Of man and poet, of God seeker and lover of the world . Huber, Frauenfeld 1927.
- Walter Scheidlin: Josef Viktor Widmanns Weltanschauung (dissertation). Zurich / The Hague 1924.
- Elisabeth Widmann, Max Widmann: Josef Viktor Widmann. A picture of life. 2 volumes. Huber, Frauenfeld 1922/24.
- Pero Slepčević: Josef Viktor Widmann. In: Buddhism in German literature (dissertation, 7th chapter). Gerold, Vienna 1920, pp. 55–63 ( digitized in the Internet Archive).
- Jonas Fränkel: JV Widmann. Three studies. Vienna, Leipzig, Zurich 1919 ( snippet view on Google Books).
- Jonas Fränkel: Biographical sketch. In: Biographisches Jahrbuch und Deutscher Nekrolog Volume 17, Berlin 1915, pp. 256–272 ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3DBiographisches JahresbuchUndDeutscherNekrologBd171912~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~doppelseiten%3D~LT%3DDigitalisat~PUR%3D in the Internet Archive); under the title J. V. Widmann. A previous biographical attempt in: Wissen und Leben , Vol. 7, Volume 14 (April 1, 1914 - September 15, 1914), pp. 177–186 ( digitized in the Internet Archive) and p. 202–214 ( digitized in the Internet Archives).
- Otto von Gruyeres : Josef Viktor Widmann. February 20th. In: Switzerland No. 4/1913, pp. 79–82.
- Letters from Joseph Victor Widmann. Communicated by Richard Heuberger . In: Der Merker Nr. 2/1912, pp. 59–63.
- Jonas Fränkel: JV Widmann. A memorial speech. Eugen Rentsch, Munich 1912.
- Charlot Strasser: On J. V. Widmann's seventieth birthday (February 20, 1912). In: Die Schweiz , Vol. 16 (1912), p. 75 ( digitized at e-periodica.ch).
- Rudolf Hunziker : Josef Viktor Widmann. In: Swiss Pedagogical Journal No. 21/1911, pp. 309–319 ( digitized at e-periodica.ch).
- Hedwig Bleuler-Waser : J. V. Widmann. For his sixtieth birthday (February 20, 1902). In: Die Schweiz , Vol. 6 (1902), pp. 89-94 ( digitized from e-periodica.ch).
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Widmann, Joseph Victor . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 55th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1887, pp. 250–252 ( digitized version ).
- Review of Aus dem Fasse der Danaiden , in: Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung of February 14, 1884, № 1423 (Mittagsblatt), p. 4 ( digitized by ANNO ).
- Widmann, Joseph Viktor. In: Franz Bornmüller: Biographical Writer's Lexicon of the Present. Verlag des Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig 1882, p. 766 f. ( Digitized in the Internet Archive).
- Rudolf Gottschall : Humorous poems. Review of u. a. The miracle fountain of Is , in: Leaves for literary entertainment of August 8, 1872, p. 500 f or 503 f. ( Digitized at ANNO).
- Literature by and about Joseph Victor Widmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by Joseph Victor Widmann at Zeno.org .
- Various texts by JV Widmann in Swiss periodicals on the E-Periodica portal of ETH Zurich (selection):
- The hammock (satire). In: Nebelspalter , Issue 37 of September 14, 1966, p. 36 f .; PDF (20.3 MB)
- The Petersinsel in the Bielersee (essay about the St. Petersinsel in the Bielersee , with drawings by Fritz Widmann). In: Switzerland , issue 13/1898, pp. 297–303; PDF (8.3 MB)
- A double life (narrative). In: The Bern Week in Words and Pictures , Issues 29 (July 21, 1923) to 41 (October 13, 1923)
- Congratulations from the Federal Council on Gottfried Keller's 70th birthday . In: Am häuslichen Herd , issue 20 of July 15, 1940, p. 474 f .; PDF (2.3 MB)
- From walks in the Alps. Wandering Studies and Chats (1885):
- Features by JV Widmann at ANNO :
- Personal information about the composer Hermann Götz. In: Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung . № 703 (Morgenblatt) of February 11, 1882, p. 1 f.
- From the letters of Aretin. In: Neue Freie Presse № 13421 (Morgenblatt) of January 4, 1902, pp. 1-4.
- Individual poems by JV Widmann in Swiss periodicals on the E-Periodica portal of ETH Zurich (selection, chronological):
- A strange inn. In: Hôtel Revue № 52 of December 29, 1894 [p. 1]; PDF (3.6 MB)
- The red cross (poem about the idea and nature of the red cross ). In: Das Rote Kreuz , issue 6/1937, p. 137; PDF (302 KB)
- Miraculous Tendons (poem). In: Am häuslichen Herd , issue 24 of September 15, 1938, p. 571, on e-periodica (ETH Zurich); PDF (1.1 MB)
- Firdusi (poem about the Persian poet Firdausi ). In: Am häuslichen Herd , issue 9 of February 1, 1941, p. 205; PDF (1.1 MB)
- Totenvolk (poem about the Carolinian death march ). In: Am häuslichen Herd , issue 8 from January 15, 1945, p. 141; PDF (1.1 MB)
Criticism of religion by Josef Victor Widmann on Alois Payer's website:
- The Religious Thought of Socialism (1881)
- The Sins of God (1882)
- The great pamphlet against the French Israelites by Eduard Drümont (1887)
- On the life picture of Salomon Vögelin (1888)
- From my theological time (1891, excerpt)
- English muckers and a Catholic prayer (1891)
- Another failed theodicy (1899)
- Leo Tolstoy's peace treaty (1904)
- The Sermon and Philosophy of Messina (1909)
- Online archive catalog of the estate of Joseph Viktor Widmann from the Bern Burger Library
- Table of contents of the five travel books published by Huber in Frauenfeld at Internet Archive
- Photo: JV Widmann's birthplace in Nennowitz in Moravia (when the plaque is attached). In: Switzerland , Vol. 17 (1913), p. 93.
- Joseph Otto Widmann in the personal dictionary of the canton of Basel-Landschaft. See also Liestal Citizen Family Book. Organized alphabetically and according to relationships and edited by J. Widmann, Pastor. Liestal 1860.
- History of the city of Liestal at readsal.ch.
- Myliestal: rectory. Retrieved October 9, 2019 .
- Carl Spitteler: The Widmann rectory in Liestal. In: The Bern Week in words and pictures . Issue 41 (1913), pp. 323–326 ( PDF, 5 MB at e-periodica.ch).
- Encyclopedia entry in the Historisch-Topographisches Lexikon der Stadt Bern; Article The residents' girl school in Bern on the annual report of the educational institution in: Pedagogical observer № 29 of July 20, 1877, p. 2 f.
- Maria Waser: Josef Viktor Widmann , Huber, Frauenfeld 1927, p. 115
- Charles Linsmayer : Josef Viktor Widmann 1842–1911 .
- Bertha Züricher: My first memory of JV Widmann. In: Switzerland № 4/1913, p. 91 f.
- Roman Bucheli : Read Robert Walser , NZZ from May 27, 2006.
- A friendship that almost fell by the wayside , the Bund, November 30, 2011
- Victor Ravizza: A sense rests: Johannes Brahms in Italy , sections “Oddities” and “And the Music”, NZZ from 9 September 2018.
- Cosmos Verlag website for the book Dear readers, do not say: No! .
- Robert Walser: Poet life . Huber, Frauenfeld 1918, p. 17 ( digitized in the Internet Archive).
- Keller - Widmann correspondence at the Gottfried Keller portal of the University of Zurich .
- Widmann-Brunnen in the series "Once and Now" of the weekly newspaper Bernerbär .
- Chronicle for the month of July 1946 at baselland.ch, accessed on January 21, 2018.
- Ernst Zimmerli: Baselbieter Heimatbuch, Volume 9, 1962, p. 209. Photo: Rosmarie Leu-Müller, Liestal
- In the playground of today's Burgstrasse secondary school (Burgstrasse 35), see chronicle for the month of November 1961 at baselland.ch, accessed on January 21, 2018.
- in Thun at streetdir.ch, accessed on January 21, 2018.
- Blog entry from July 29, 2018 (with a photo of the street sign) by René P. Moor on “The Stepper”, accessed on March 11, 2019.
- Maria Waser: Widmann in Venice. In: Switzerland , vol. 14 (1910), p. 94 ff.
- Joseph Victor Widmann's estate in the catalog of the Burgerbibliothek Bern .
- Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon , Volume 20. Leipzig 1909, p. 591; Full text at zeno.org .
- Neue Freie Presse № 11237 of December 5, 1895, p. 5 (Small Chronicle); Digitized at ANNO .
- At the domestic stove № 4, Volume IV (1900/01), p. 106; Digitized for e-periodicals.
- Neues Wiener Tagblatt (daily edition) № 50, February 20, 1902, p. 9; Digitized at ANNO.
- Switzerland, Vol. 6 (1902), p. 90; Digital version (PDF, 8.2 MB)) at e-periodica.ch.
- Neues Wiener Journal № 6483, November 8, 1911, p. 6; Digitized at ANNO.
- Radio-Wien № 46, August 12, 1927, pp. 2092 f .; Digitized at ANNO.
- Ricarda Huch: Spring in Switzerland. Autobiographical representation. Zurich 1938. Published in: Gesammelte Werke , Vol. 11 , Keipenheuer & Witsch, Köln u. Berlin 1966, p. 192.
- Otto von Greyerz : Josef Viktor Widmann. February 20th. In: Switzerland. № 4/1913, p. 82.
- Why in Zurich? Our survey to Bern artists who live and work in Zurich. In: Zürcher Illustrierte № 14 (1933), p. 436 (accessed on February 26, 2020).
- Detailed information on Fritz Widmann in the Kalliope network .
- Person Sheet on the private website for the Lousmeau-Dupont Family by David Dupont.
- Max Widmann in the personal dictionary of the canton of Basel-Landschaft.
- Look around. Switzerland. In: News of the Association of Swiss Librarians , Issue 4 (1969), p. 112 ( digitized at e-periodica.ch).
- Neue Freie Presse № 16245 of November 11, 1909, p. 8 ("Kleine Chronik") ( digitized at ANNO )
- according to Max Widmann "the German Schiller Prize" (see Josef Viktor Widmann. A picture of life. Second half of life. Huber, Frauenfeld and Leipzig 1924, p. 348.)
- Anton Bettelheim : "Biographical" by JV Widmann. In: Supplement to the Neue Freie Presse No. 16934 of November 12, 1911, pp. 31–34, here page 33, column 3 (heading “Literaturblatt”) .
- according to BLKÖ (see literature) "Schwank"
- as an author in Meyers Konversations-Lexikon 1905 and BLKÖ
- A huge oratorio with explosive content . Text with an overview of the contents of the concert on June 23, 2018 on the website of the «men’s choir zürich» ( program as PDF; 730 KB ).
- Detailed presentation and analysis (with music examples) in: Hermann Kretzschmar : Guide through the concert hall. II. Department. Volume II. Oratorios and secular choral works. Leipzig 1920 (4th edition), pp. 393-407 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Margaret Ross Griffel: Operas in German: A Dictionary (Revisited edition). Rowman & Littlefield, 2018, p. 440.
- Dramatized by Otto von Greyerz under the title Der Weltverbesserer. Comedy in two acts (based on Widmann's novella “Die Weltverbesserer”) ( digitized version of the 1912 edition in the Internet Archive ).
- Dirk Strohmann: Maurice Maeterlinck's reception in the German-speaking countries (1891-1914) , p. 213
|SURNAME||Widmann, Joseph Victor|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Widmann, Joseph Viktor; Widmann, Josef Viktor|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss journalist and writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 20, 1842|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nennowitz , today part of Brno|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 6, 1911|
|Place of death||Bern|