Diomede Cardinal Falconio OFM (born September 20, 1842 in Pescocostanzo , Province of L'Aquila , Italy ; † February 8, 1917 in Rome ) was Archbishop of Acerenza e Matera , later a diplomat of the Holy See and Cardinal Curia of the Roman Catholic Church .
Diomede Falconio entered the Franciscan order in 1860 and studied Catholic theology and philosophy in various houses of the order . In 1865 he traveled to the United States, where he received the sacrament of ordination on January 4, 1866 .
He then worked as a professor of philosophy at St. Bonaventure University in Allegany County , NY , where he also held leadership roles in the formation of priests. In 1883 he returned to Italy and until 1889 headed the order district of the Franciscans in Abruzzo as Provincial . Diomede Falconio was elected General Procurator of his order in October 1889 and held the office of General Visitator in the provinces of Naples and Pouilles .
On July 11, 1892, Pope Leo XIII appointed him . to the Bishop of Lacedonia . The episcopal ordination received Diomede Falconio six days later by Cardinal Raffaele Monaco La Valletta , co-consecrators were the Curia Archbishops Antonio Grasselli and Tancredo Fausti . In 1895 Diomede Falconio became Archbishop of Acerenca e Matera, in 1899 the Pope appointed him Apostolic Delegate in Canada , in 1902 he entrusted him with the same task in the USA , where he turned to the problems of Italian immigrants and referred to the in this context of Pope Leo XIII. Encyclical Quam aerumnosa published in 1888 .
Pope Pius X accepted him on November 27, 1911 as a cardinal priest with the titular church of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli in the college of cardinals , Pope Benedict XV. appointed him Cardinal Bishop of Velletri in 1914 and Prefect of the Religious Congregation in 1916 . Diomede Falconio died in Rome on February 8, 1917 and was buried in the Franciscan church of Pescocostanzo.
- Andre Chapeau OSB and Charles N. Bransom: Franciscan bishops. Franciscan Studies, Edition XLVII, 1987.
- Joseph Bernard Code: Dictionary of American Hierarchy. New York 1964, pp. 86-87.
- Jean LeBlanc: Dictionnaire biographique des évêques catholiques du Canada. Les diocèses catholiques canadiens des Églises latine et orientales et leurs évêques; repères chronologiques et biographiques, 1658-2202. Ottawa 2002.
- M. Sanfilippo: Diomede Falconio et l'Église Catholique en Amérique du Nord. 1992, pp. 43-47.
- Falconio, OFM, Diomede. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed August 5, 2016.
- Entry on Diomede Falconio on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on August 5, 2016.
Bishop of Lacedonia
|Serafino Cardinal Vannutelli||
Cardinal Bishop of Velletri
|Basilio Cardinal Pompili|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Falconio, Cardinal Diomede (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian clergyman, archbishop and cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 20, 1842|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pescocostanzo , L'Aquila Province , Italy|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 8, 1917|
|Place of death||Rome|