Coming from a well-to-do family, he received his doctorate in law in Turin in 1864 . In Milan he attended the Scapigliatura movement . In 1869 he returned to Vicenza and worked as a lawyer. He soon left this profession to devote himself entirely to literature. He was a member of the Accademia Roveretana degli Agiati .
In his works one notices a constant tension between duty and passions, faith and reason.
Fogazzaro found new means of interpretation in the theories of positivism and evolutionism. The Catholic Church placed his works Il santo and Leila on the Librorum Prohibitorum index in 1905 and 1911, respectively .
- Miranda , Little Poem in Verse, 1874
- Valsolda , Assembly in honor of Valsolda , 1876
- Malombra , Roman, 1881
- Daniele Cortis , novel, 1885
- Fedele , short stories, 1887
- Il mistero del poeta , novel, 1888
- Piccolo mondo antico , novel, 1895
- Discorsi , essay, 1898
- Scienza e dolore , essay, 1898
- Il dolore nell'arte , essay, 1901
- Piccolo mondo moderno , Roman, 1901
- Il santo , novel, 1905
- Leila , Roman, 1910
- 1940: Little Old World
- 1942: Malombra
- Lucia Strappini: FOGAZZARO, Antonio. In: Fiorella Bartoccini (ed.): Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI). Volume 48: Filoni-Forghieri. Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Rome 1997.
- Paolo Marangon: Il modernismo di Antonio Fogazzaro. Il Mulino, Bologna 1998, ISBN 88-15-06834-1 .
- Literature by and about Antonio Fogazzaro in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Antonio Fogazzaro in the German Digital Library
- Works by Antonio Fogazzaro : text, concordances, word lists and statistics
- Concordances of "Malombra" based on the original Italian text
- Works by Antonio Fogazzaro in the Gutenberg-DE project
- History of the Academy ( Memento of the original from March 20, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 25, 1842|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vicenza|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 7, 1911|
|Place of death||Vicenza|