Mansfield learned the age of nine to play chess from his father, the national active correspondence chess played. Mansfield published his first assignments at the age of 15. Within 65 years he composed around 980 two-moves . He won more than 100 first prizes. His main merit was his contribution to the development of the classic two-move in the 20th century.
His compositions are characterized by original ideas, strict economy, clarity and expressiveness of thought. A two-pass topic bears his name:
A white battery is controlled by two black figures. If one of them ties itself up, the battery can dull while switching off the other.
Meredith Tournament, Australia, 1928
1. Qg4 – e2 (threatens Qxe7 mate )
1.… Nc5 – b7 (a6, a4, b3, e6, e4) 2. Qe2 – b5 mate. Secondary parades of the jumper follow.
1. ... Nc5-d3 second Ld5-c6 matt
1 ... Nc5-d7 2. Ld5-f7 matt
1 ... e7-e6 (e5) 2. Ta8xd8 matt
From 1949 to 1951 Mansfield was President of the British Chess Problem Society (BCPS) , from 1963 to 1971 President of the Permanent Commission on Chess Composition at FIDE ( PCCC ) .
His unusual first name Comins is a tribute to the good work of two Miss sisters . Comins , who raised his father, goes back to his mother's decision not to use long names.
Comins Mansfield had three children.
- Alain Campbell White: A genius of Two-Movers. C.Mansfield . 1936
- Comins Mansfield: Adventures in Composition . 1942
- Brian Harley: The modern Two-Move chess problem . London 1958
- Barry Peter Barnes: Comins Mansfield, Chess-Problem by a Grandmaster . British Chess Problem Society, 1976, ISBN 0-905479-00-9
- Comins Mansfield (14th June 1896 - 28th March 1984) , Chessdevon.co.uk, 25 August 2008 (English)
- Compositions by Comins Mansfield on the Schwalbe's PDB server
- Games by Comins Mansfield on Britbase as of December 11, 2018
- Anatoli Jewgenjewitsch Karpow u. a .: Chess - encyclopedic dictionary . Sowjetskaja enzyklopedija, Moscow 1990, ISBN 5-85270-005-3 , p. 264 (Russian)
- Grand master for chess compositions
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English chess composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 14, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Witheridge|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 28, 1984|
|Place of death||Paignton|