Hermann Arnold (painter, 1846)
Live and act
Hermann Arnold attended Latin and grammar school and from 1860 to 1862 a drawing and modeling school in Munich. In 1863 he went to the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich and from 1866 studied together with Alois Gabl , Ludwig Glötzle and Max Fürst under Johann von Schraudolph . He painted portraits of Ludwig II and Princess Sophie, among others, and was also active as a poet and actor.
In 1870 he took part in the Franco-German War as a lieutenant in the Landwehr , was wounded in the battle of Beaugency by a shot in the right foot and made invalid . So he could devote himself to painting again and visited the studios of Arthur von Ramberg and Alexander von Wagner . From 1872 he created several genre pictures and character figures.
Hermann Arnold was secretary of the Munich artists' cooperative from 1881 to 1884 . For the organization of an exhibition of Spanish painting in 1883 he was awarded the Commander's Cross of the Order of Isabelle. In 1885 he was appointed professor at the Grand Ducal Saxon Art School Weimar , where he was secretary from 1885 to 1889.
Hermann Arnold was married to Wilhelmine Freie von Schönhueb and had six children.
- Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Bavarian Order of Military Merit
- Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Bavarian Order of Michael
- War memorial for the campaigns of 1870–1871
- Commander's Cross of the Order of Isabelle, Spain
- 1872: Mother's prayer
- 1872: Flooding on the Baltic Sea
- 1872: King of the marksmen
- 1873: neighborhood children
- 1878: love letter
- 1880: the curious
- 1882: Hard Choice or A Rural Paris
- 1883: The village schoolmaster
- 1883: Tryst at the garden wall or the neighborhood children
- 1883: roses in a dream
- 1883: The moment before the purchase was made
- 1884: Village gallery
- Hyacinth Holland : Arnold, Hermann. In: Anton Bettelheim (Hrsg.): Biographisches Jahrbuch and German Nekrolog. Reimer, Berlin 1897, pp. 47-48 ( archive.org ).
- Rudolf Vierhaus (Ed.): German Biographical Encyclopedia. Volume 1: Aachen – Baniß. Saur, Munich 2005, ISBN 978-3-598-25031-6 , pp. 232-233 (digitized p. 232 , p. 233 ).
- Hyacinth Holland : Arnold, Hermann . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 46, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1902, p. 51 f.
Notes and individual references
- The date of birth May 7th can also be found in other sources.
- Weimar. - art school. on bierl-antiquariat.de
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 6, 1846|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 25, 1896|
|Place of death||Jena|