Appel was born on June 12, 1896 in Wolfskehlen im Ried near Darmstadt. After the First World War he studied German , Romance studies and art studies at the universities of Bonn , Leipzig and Giessen . He obtained his doctorate in 1924 in Gießen. phil. with a thesis on the subject of the description of the physical appearance of the human being in the German novel between 1870 and 1900. After completing his doctorate, he did a legal clerkship in Darmstadt, Gießen, Butzbach and Homburg. After the death of his first wife Karola von Wachter in 1925, he took a seven-year break from teaching. During this break he worked for two semesters as a sculptor at the Städelschule with Richard Scheibe and one season as an assistant dramaturge in Darmstadt. Most recently he was senior teacher at the Johanneum (Hamburg) .
In 1934 the first volumes of poetry, To Marie and Blood and Smile, were published . This was followed in 1935 by the poetry volume (Langen-Müller publishing house, Munich). In 1946, the publishing house Claassen and Goverts in Hamburg published a new edition of Appels New Poems , which appeared in the last year of the war . In his essays published by Hauswedell, Hamburg, he wrote particularly about the sculptor Renée Sintenis . His last publication Liedgedichte und Bildgedichte appeared in 1965 and was to become part of a four-volume series; these volumes should contain approximately 270 unpublished poems.
In the 1950s his poems also appeared in national newspapers, so u. a. in the weekly newspaper Die Zeit .
- The description of the physical appearance of humans in the German novel between 1870 and 1900. Dissertation, Giessen, September 23, 1924.
- To Marie. Ellermann, Hamburg 1935.
- Death and life. Verlag der Blätter für die Dichtung, Hamburg 1936.
- Poems. Langen-Müller, Munich 1935.
- The poem in our time . Sponholtz, Hanover 1946.
- New poems. Claasen and Goverts, Hamburg 1946.
- Rudolf Hagelstange , Carl Georg Heise and Paul Appel: Renee Sintenis. Construction Publishing House, Berlin 1947.
- Garden in autumn. together with Imre Reiner , Ars librorum, Frankfurt a. M. 1964
- Song poems and picture poems. Roether, Darmstadt 1965.
- Heinrich Tessenow. Edited by Paula Appel. Hamburg 1973.
- KF Ertel: The poet Paul Appel. In: Hessian homeland. Volume 27, Issue 1, 1976, p. 4.
- Albrecht Goes: Paul Appel. Poems In: The literature: monthly magazine for literary friends 38 (1935/36), p. 287.
- Kurt Ihlenfeld: New Poetry. On Paul Appel's poems in: Eckart: Blätter für Evangelische Geisteskultur 11 (1935), pp. 541-543.
- Detlev Lüders: Paul Appel. In: Handbook of contemporary German literature: German literature 1910-1964 . Munich 1965, pp. 58-59.
- Eugen Gottlob Winkler: Paul Appel. To his poems In: ders. Poems, shapes and problems. Eugen Gottlob Winkler's estate. Edited by Walter Warnach. Pfullingen 1956, pp. 365-371.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German poet and essayist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 12, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wolfskehlen near Darmstadt|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 18, 1971|
|Place of death||Hamburg|