After studying classical philology , Lesky received his first lectureship in Graz in 1924. From 1920 to 1932 he taught as a teacher at the Academic Gymnasium in Graz . In 1932 he was appointed associate professor of Greek studies in Vienna and in 1936 full professor in Innsbruck. There he was dean in 1937/37 and vice-rector in 1942 .
Lesky belonged in the era of National Socialism of the NSDAP at (membership number 7252762). After the war, however, Lesky was able to make credible that he had only joined the NSDAP for reasons of career policy. As a former NSDAP member, he had to register after the end of the Second World War , but was able to practice his profession again as early as 1946 after a decision by the denazification commission . In 1949 he returned to the University of Vienna , where he worked until his retirement in 1967. 1958/59 he was dean, 1963/64 also rector of the university.
One focus of his research was the Greek epic and its relation to myth . His study of Greek tragedy and his history of Greek literature became standard philological works. In addition, written Lesky numerous articles for the revision of Pauly Realencyclopädie of classical archeology (RE), studies on the reception history of Homer and a study on the Cretan writing Linear B .
Albin Lesky became a corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in 1942 , which was suspended from 1945 to 1948 because of his registration as a member of the NSDAP. In 1950 Lesky was elected a full member. In addition, he was its vice-president from 1963 to 1969 and its president from 1969/1970. In this function he was particularly committed to maintaining the humanistic grammar schools in Austria. His other scientific memberships also included that of a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute .
Lesky has received numerous awards and honorary doctorates for his scientific merits, including a. from the universities of Innsbruck, Athens, Ghent, Glasgow, Thessaloniki and a Dr. hc rer. pole. of the University of Graz . Since 1958 he has been a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and since 1959 of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences . and since 1966 the British Academy .
In 1994, Leskygasse in Vienna- Donaustadt (22nd district) was named after Erna and Albin Lesky. Since 1998, a gate on the university campus of the University of Vienna has also been named after the couple.
- 1959: Wilhelm Hartel Prize from the Austrian Academy
- 1964: Austrian Decoration of Honor for Science and Art
- 1966: Purkyne Medal from the Jan Evangelista Purkyně University in Brno
- 1970: Prize of the City of Vienna for the humanities
- 1971: Ring of Honor of the City of Vienna
- 1971: Pour le mérite for science and the arts
- 1971: Honorary doctorate from the University of Graz
- 1973: Hansischer Goethe Prize
- Electricity without a bridge . Leykam, Graz 1918.
- Alcestis, the Myth and the Drama . Hölder-Pichler-Tempsky, Vienna 1925.
- The Greek tragedy . Kröner, Stuttgart 1938.
- The cosmos of the Choephores . Hölder-Pichler-Tempsky, Vienna 1943.
- Humanism as an inheritance and a task . Rauch, Innsbruck 1946.
- Upbringing . Tyrolia, Innsbruck 1946.
- Thalatta . Rohrer, Vienna 1947.
- The mask of Thamyris . Rohrer, Vienna 1951.
- Sophocles and the humane . Rohrer, Vienna 1952.
- Homer research in the present . Sexl, Vienna 1952.
- The deciphering of Linear B . Rohrer, Vienna 1954.
- The tragic poetry of the Hellenes . Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht , Göttingen 1956.
- History of Greek Literature . Francke, Bern 1957; 2nd edition Bern / Munich 1963.
- Divine and human motivation in the Homeric epic . Winter, Heidelberg 1961.
- Collected Writings . Francke, Bern 1966.
- Homeros . Druckmüller, Stuttgart 1967.
- Heracles and the Ketos . Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1967.
- From the Eros of the Hellenes . Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1976.
- Alois Kernbauer: Albin Lesky. In: Walter Höflechner (Ed.): Articles and materials on the history of science in Austria (= publications from the archive of the University of Graz. Volume 11). Akademische Druck- und Verlagsanstalt, Graz 1981, ISBN 3-201-01175-4 , pp. 299-302.
- Hubert Petersmann : Albin Lesky (1896–1981) and Rudolf Hanslik (1907–1982). In: Eikasmós . Volume 4, 1993, pp. 249-252.
- Oliver Schelske, Hans-Ulrich Berner: Lesky, Albin. In: Peter Kuhlmann , Helmuth Schneider (Hrsg.): History of the ancient sciences. Biographical Lexicon (= The New Pauly . Supplements. Volume 6). Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2012, ISBN 978-3-476-02033-8 , Sp. 726-728.
- Gerhard Winkler : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 14, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-428-00195-8 , p. 330 f. ( ).
- Literature by and about Albin Lesky in the catalog of the German National Library
- Albin Lesky in the Vienna History Wiki of the City of Vienna
- Street names in Vienna since 1860 as “Political Places of Remembrance” (PDF; 4.4 MB), p. 302f, final research project report, Vienna, July 2013.
- Peter Goller, Gerhard Oberkofler: University of Innsbruck: Denazification and rehabilitation of Nazi cadres (1945–1950) . Innsbruck 2003, p. 27.
- Albin Lesky obituary at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (PDF file).
- Members of the HAdW since it was founded in 1909. Albin Lesky. Heidelberg Academy of Sciences, accessed June 24, 2016 .
- Deceased Fellows. British Academy, accessed June 28, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 7, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Graz|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 28, 1981|
|Place of death||innsbruck|