Ernst Vogt (born November 6, 1930 in Duisburg ; † August 9, 2017 ) was a German classical philologist . He worked as a professor at the Universities of Mannheim (1967–1975) and Munich (1975–1999) and was President of the International Thesaurus Committee from 2002 to 2014 .
Vogt studied classical philology, philosophy , archeology , ancient history , papyrology and linguistics at the universities of Bonn , Tübingen and Athens from 1950 to 1956 (as a scholarship holder of the German Academic Exchange Service ). In 1956 he was in Bonn at Hans Herter Dr. phil. doctorate , passed the first state examination and became a research assistant at the Philological Department of the University of Bonn. From 1959 to 1967 he was the editor-in-chief of the Rheinisches Museum für Philologie magazine . In 1960 he completed his habilitation in Bonn, and in 1966 he was appointed adjunct professor.
In 1967 Vogt accepted an appointment as full professor at the University of Mannheim, where he was dean of the Faculty of Linguistics and Literature in 1971/72. In 1970 he took over the editor-in-chief of Gnomon magazine , which he held until 1999. From 1973 to 1975 he was chairman of the research council and member of the administrative board of the University of Mannheim, 1974-76 deputy chairman of the Philosophical Faculty Conference. In 1975 he was appointed to the LMU Munich and co-editor of Gnomon . Since 1974 member of the commission for the Heidelberg branch of the Année Philologique in the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences , Vogt was elected as a full member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences in 1977. Since 1978 he was there member of the commission for the publication of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (1986-2014 chairman), the commission for the Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum and the Aegina commission (since 1984: commission for the study of the ancient urban system). In 1979 he became a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute . 1980-88 he was liaison professor of the German National Academic Foundation , 1981-83 Dean of the Faculty of Linguistics and Literature I. Since 1982 he was a member of the Patristic Commission of the Union of German Academies of Sciences , since 1983 a member of the International Thesaurus Commission (1988– 2002 Vice President, 2002–2014 President). 1986–90 he was a member of the Senate of the LMU Munich. In 1986 he became a member of the commission for the publication of a second series of the Acta conciliorum oecumenicorum of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (chairman since 1988). In 1991 he was visiting professor at the Tor Vergata University in Rome. In 1994 the Union of German Academies of Science appointed him its representative in the Union Académique Internationale (until 2008); In 1994 he also became a member of the commission for the publication of the German inscriptions of the Middle Ages and the early modern period (Munich department) of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. In 1997 he received the Praemium Classicum Clavarense from the Associazione Italiana di Cultura Classica . From 1997 Vogt was a member of the Comitato scientifico internazionale of the journal Eikasmos , in 1999 he retired. From 2000 he was a member of the advisory board of the Görres Society . In 2002 he was visiting professor at the University of Naples .
Vogt dealt with the history of literary forms and genres, with Hellenistic and Imperial Greek literature, with the history of transmission and reception, and with the history of classical philology .
- Procli hymni. Accedunt hymnorum fragmenta, epigrammata, scholia, fontium et locorum similium apparatus, indices . Wiesbaden 1957 ( Classical Philological Studies 15; Dissertation, RFWU Bonn)
- Investigations into the text of Justin's dialogue with the Jew Tryphon . Bonn 1960 (habilitation thesis, not published)
- with Olof Gigon , Hildebrecht Hommel , Albin Lesky , Arnaldo Momigliano , Carl Werner Müller , Hans-Joachim Newiger , Gustav Adolf Seeck and Martin L. West : Greek literature . Wiesbaden 1981 ( New Handbook of Literary Studies 2)
- August Böckh's work as a challenge for our time . Berlin 1998
- The Leipzig Museum of Antiquities and Greek Literature . Munich / Leipzig 2001; Reprinted in: Erich Lamberz (Hrsg.), Literatur der Antike und Philologie der Neuzeit. Selected writings . Berlin / Boston 2011, p. 22ff. (online) .
- Erich Lamberz (Hrsg.): Literature of antiquity and philology of the modern age. Selected writings . Berlin / Boston 2011, (online)
- Walther Kranz : The Greek Philosophy . 5th edition, Bremen 1962
- Walther Kranz: Studies on ancient literature and its continuation. Small fonts . Heidelberg 1967
- Hans Herter : Small writings . Munich 1975
- with Peter Schreiner : Karl Krumbacher. Life and work . Munich 2011
- Werner Suerbaum (Ed., With Uwe Dubielzig): Festgabe for Ernst Vogt on his 60th birthday on November 6, 1990. Memories of classical philologists. Collected and edited with the assistance of Uwe Dubielzig. by Werner Suerbaum. Pátron, Bologna 1993 (Eikasmós, Volume IV). - Review by: Georg Pfligersdorfer, in: Journal of the Savigny Foundation for Legal History. Romance Department 112, 1995, pp. 671-677.
- Literature by and about Ernst Vogt in the catalog of the German National Library
- ^ Obituary notice in the Süddeutsche Zeitung of August 12, 2017, accessed on August 13, 2017
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 6, 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Duisburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 9, 2017|