Carl von Prantl (philosopher)
Carl Prantl , knight of Prantl since 1872 (born January 28, 1820 in Landsberg am Lech , † September 14, 1888 in Oberstdorf im Allgäu ) was a German philosopher .
At the age of 17 he began to study classical antiquity in Munich (among others with Friedrich Thiersch and Leonhard Spengel ), which he completed after 4 years with his dissertation. A travel grant brought him to Berlin in 1842/43, where he mainly heard from August Boeckh and Friedrich Adolf Trendelenburg . From 1847 he was associate professor, from 1859 full professor of philology and 1864 of philosophy in Munich .
The Bavarian Academy of Sciences elected him an extraordinary member in 1848, and in 1857 he was appointed a full member. He was also a member of the Academy in Berlin . In 1872 he received the Knight's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Bavarian Crown and was thereby elevated to the personal nobility as Knight von Prantl . For the year 1879/80 he was elected Rector of Munich University . In 1883 he received the Bavarian Maxilians Order for Science and Art .
The burial place of Karl Prantl is located on the old southern cemetery in Munich (burial ground 10 - row 10 - Place 13/14) Location .
His son was the botanist Carl Prantl .
Works and publications
Prantl published numerous treatises on the history of philosophy , on the philosophy of law and on logic .
His main work is the
- History of Logic in the Occident (Munich 1855–70, 4 vols .; vol. 2 in 2nd ed. 1885).
Other publications include a .:
- Aristotle on colors (Munich 1849)
- The present task of philosophy (Munich 1852)
- Overview of Greco-Roman Philosophy (Stuttgart 1854)
- Aristotle: Eight Books of Physics (Greek and German, Leipzig 1854)
- Aristotle: Four books on the building of heaven (Greek and German, Leipzig 1857)
- Philosophy in Proverbs (Munich 1858)
- Michael Psellus and Petrus Hispanus (Munich 1867)
- History of the Ludwig Maximilians University in Ingolstadt, Landshut, Munich (Munich 1872, 2 vol.)
- Commemorative speech at Trendelenburg (Munich 1873)
- Understanding and Judging (Munich 1877)
- Clemens Baeumker : Prantl, Carl von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 55, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1910, pp. 854-872.
- Literature by and about Carl von Prantl in the catalog of the German National Library
- All 4 volumes of the “History of the Logic of the Occident” as full text and PDF on GoogleBooks
- Bibliography , Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities 2002 (PDF file; 51 kB)
|SURNAME||Prantl, Carl von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Prantl, Carl Ritter von (full name); Prantl, Carl|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian of philosophy|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 28, 1820|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Landsberg am Lech|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 14, 1888|
|Place of death||Oberstdorf in the Allgäu|