Hellmut Flashar (pronunciation (IPA) [ˈflashaɐ̯] , born December 3, 1929 in Hamburg ) is a German classical philologist who worked as a professor of classical philology at the Universities of Bochum (1965–1982) and Munich (1982–1997) and as a medical historian worked.
Flashar grew up in Berlin , attended Wald-Oberschule from 1940 and, after graduating from high school in 1948, studied classical philology and philosophy at the Humboldt University and the Free University of Berlin (until 1950) and in Tübingen (until 1954). There he received his doctorate in 1954 with Wolfgang Schadewaldt with a dissertation on the dialogue ion as a testimony to Platonic philosophy and then worked (until autumn 1956) as a research assistant in the Platon archive in Hinterzarten . In 1955 he passed the state examination in Berlin and was an assistant at the University of Tübingen from 1959-61, where he completed his habilitation in 1961 with a thesis on the pseudo-Aristotelian problemata physica . He then worked as a lecturer in Tübingen.
In 1965 he followed a call to the newly founded Ruhr University Bochum . There he was Dean of the Philosophical Faculty in the academic year 1970/71. From 1982 until his retirement in 1997 he was a professor at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich , where he also held the Dean's office from 1992–93.
1990-94 he also held events at the University of Leipzig . In 2003 he was visiting professor at the Institute for Theater Studies at the University of Vienna . He has been living in Bochum again since 2012.
Flashar was President of the Mommsen Society from 1970 to 1976 and is a member of numerous scientific advisory boards. He is a corresponding member of the Saxon Academy of Sciences and the German Archaeological Institute (since 1979). In 1994 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon, and in 1998 the Ausonius Prize of the University of Trier .
In his research, Flashar deals with broad areas of ancient literature. Early on, his main focus was on Greek philosophy , especially that of Plato and Aristotle . Since the 1960s he has worked on the Aristotle Complete Edition in German , which is published under the supervision of the Berlin Academy of Sciences . Flashar has been editor of the complete edition since 1967. He is also the editor in charge of the standard work Die Philosophie der Antike (Basel: Schwabe), for which he himself wrote Volume 3 (Older Academy, Aristotle, Peripatos ). Another research focus of Flashars is the Greek tragedy , the meaning and impact of which he traced from antiquity to the history of theater and music in modern times. In addition to basic monographs, Flashar also published his own translations of ancient tragedies and edited the translations of his teacher Schadewaldt. Other research areas Flashars are ancient history , medical history , history of science and philosophy of science .
- The Ion dialogue as a testimony to Platonic philosophy . Dissertation. Tübingen 1954. (Revised version: (= Writings of the Section for Classical Studies 14). Berlin 1958)
- Aristotle: works in German translation. Volume 19: Problemata physica . Berlin 1962.
- Plato: Ion. Greek and German . (= Tusculum library ). Munich 1963.
- Melancholy and melancholy in the medical theories of antiquity . Habilitation thesis Berlin 1965, Berlin 1966.
- The Epitaph of Pericles. Its function in the history of Thucydides . Heidelberg 1969.
- Aristotle: works in German translation. Volume 18: Opuscula. Part 2: Mirabilia . 2nd, corrected edition. Berlin 1981.
- The philosophy of antiquity. Volume 3: Older Academy - Aristotle - Peripatos . Basel 1983.
- Plato: Ion. Greek and German . Stuttgart 1988. (Bibliographically amended edition 2002 ( Reclams Universal-Bibliothek 8471))
- Eidola. Selected small fonts . Berlin / Amsterdam 1989. (with picture and list of writings)
- Staging of antiquity. The Greek Drama on the Modern Stage 1585–1990 . Munich 1991.
- Sophocles. Poet in democratic Athens . Munich 2000.
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy and the Greek Tragedy. Incidental music in the context of politics, culture and education . Stuttgart / Leipzig 2001.
- Spectra. Small writings on drama, philosophy and the reception of antiquity . (= Classica Monacensia 29). Tuebingen 2004.
- Aristotle: works in German translation. Volume 20: Fragments. Part 1 . Berlin 2006.
- Euripides: Electra . Frankfurt am Main 2006.
- Aristotle. Teacher of the West . CH Beck, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-406-64506-8 .
- Hippocrates. Master of the healing arts. Life and work. CH Beck, Munich 2016, ISBN 978-3-406-69746-3 .
- with Konrad Gaiser : Synusia. Ceremony for Wolfgang Schadewaldt on March 15, 1965 . Pfullingen 1965.
- Ancient medicine . (= Ways of research . 221). Darmstadt 1971.
- On the problem of grammar and language training . (= Ancient language teaching. 1). Stuttgart 1973.
- Humanities as a task. Cultural-political perspectives and aspects . Berlin / New York 1978.
- Philology and Hermeneutics in the 19th Century . Göttingen 1979.
- Greek reading book . Frankfurt am Main 1987.
- Classical Studies in the 1920s. New questions and impulses . Stuttgart 1995.
- Tragedy. Idea and transformation . (= Colloquium Rauricum. 5). Stuttgart 1997.
- Greek world. Classical authors of Greece . Frankfurt am Main / Leipzig 1997.
- Médecine et morale dans l'antiquité: dix exposés suivis de discussions . Bonn 1997.
- Literature by and about Hellmut Flashar in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hellmut Flashar at the Institute for Classical Philology at LMU Munich
- Hellmut Flashar's blog
- How did the discussions at Lykeion go? In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung . July 2, 2013, p. 30.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 3, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamburg|