Wilfried Stroh (born December 26, 1939 in Stuttgart ), also Valahfridus , is a German classical philologist .
Wilfried Stroh studied classical philology in Tübingen , Vienna and Munich from 1959 and received his doctorate in Heidelberg in 1967, where he obtained his habilitation in 1972 after research stays in London, Strasbourg and Münster. From 1972 to 1976 he was a lecturer and associate professor at the University of Heidelberg , since 1976 a full professor at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich , where he retired in 2005.
Among other things, Stroh is known for his efforts to make Latin a living language . The “Colloquium Latinum” is a weekly event at the University of Munich , in which a Latin text is discussed exclusively in Latin. He also deals with ancient rhetoric ( Cicero ) and erotic literature ( Ovid ) as well as Latin metrics . Stroh is also an expert on Jakob Balde , the "German Horace", a Jesuit writer from the Baroque period. Since 1984 he has been chairman of the Sodalitas Ludis Latinis faciundis eV association . Sound recordings of some of his lectures in Latin are available on the Internet. Stroh received the Ausonius Prize for 2012.
- Ovid in the judgment of posterity. A testimony collection (= Libelli series. Vol. 234, ZDB -ID 846543-5 ). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1969.
- The Roman energy of love as an advertising poetry. Hakkert, Amsterdam 1971, ISBN 90-256-0574-5 .
- Taxis and tactics. The art of advocacy in Cicero's court speeches. Teubner, Stuttgart 1975, ISBN 3-519-07406-0 (also: Heidelberg, University, habilitation paper, 1972).
- Cupid in Monte Docto. God Amor on Toompea. Frisinga, Freising 1987, ISBN 3-88841-020-7 .
- Apocrypha. Remote writings. Edited by Jürgen Leonhardt and Georg Ott. Steiner, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-515-07667-0 .
- as editor: Jan Novák : Musica poetica Latina. De versibus Latinis modulandis. A musical Latin poetics. Edidit commentarioque instruxit. Sodalitas Ludis Latinis Faciundis, Munich 2001.
- Baldeana. Investigations into the life's work of Bavaria's greatest poet (= Münchner Balde-Studien. Vol. 4). Edited by Bianca-Jeanette Schröder . Utz, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-8316-0347-2 .
- Latin is dead, long live Latin! Small story of a great language. List, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-471-78829-5 (in French: Le latin est mort, vive le latin! Petite histoire d'une grande langue (= Le Miroir des Humanistes. Vol. 8). Traduit de l'allemand et du latin par Sylvain Bluntz. Les Belles Lettres, Paris 2008, ISBN 978-2-251-34601-4 ; also translated into Hungarian, Spanish and Polish).
- Samples of Latin verse art. Spoken and explained. 2nd, revised and supplemented edition. Sodalitas Ludis Latinis Faciundis, Munich 2007 (audio book on 2 CD and text booklet).
- Cicero. Orator, statesman, philosopher (= Beck series. Vol. 2440). Beck, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-406-56240-2 (2nd, revised edition, 2010; also translated into Italian).
- The power of speech. A little history of rhetoric in ancient Greece and Rome. Ullstein, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-550-08753-0 (also translated into French).
- Christ and Cupid. Emblems from Jacob Baldes' poet class from 1628 , after preliminary work by Günter Hess ed. by Veronika Lukas, Wilfried Stroh and Claudia Wiener, Schnell & Steiner, Regensburg (2012) 2013 (Jesuitica vol. 18), ISBN 978-3-7954-2576-0 .
- Ralf von den Hoff / Wilfried Stroh / Martin Zimmermann: Divus Augustus. The first Roman emperor and his world , CH Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-406-66052-8 .
- Scripta Treverorum: Latin walks through 2000 years of Trier , Kliomedia, Trier 2014, ISBN 978-3-89890-187-1 .
- Literature by and about Wilfried Stroh in the catalog of the German National Library
- Stroh's site at the University of Munich
- Why is there a Latin language but not a country where only Latin is spoken?
- Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger (KStA) from April 4, 2013 Culture Latin for the teaching profession : "Education is too half for me"
- ↑ Wilfried Stroh (Valahfridus): Sound recordings of Latin-language lectures on Stroh.userweb.mwn.de.
- ↑ Cf. also Rome, as far as the moon = News & Stories, April 1, 1991, Sat.1 ( Alexander Kluge in conversation with Heiner Müller and Wilfried Stroh) - Transcription on cultural history in dialogue.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Stroh, Wilfried Rudolf; Valahfridus (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 26, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|