Paul Aellen (born May 13, 1896 in Basel , † August 19, 1973 in Heiligenschwendi ) was a Swiss botanist . Its official botanical author abbreviation is " Aellen "; previously the abbreviation “ Aell. " in use.
Live and act
Aellen dealt particularly intensively with the plant families of the foxtail family (Amaranthaceae) and the goosefoot family (Chenopodiaceae); the latter is currently classified in the foxtail family. Aellen was a teacher at various schools in Schaffhausen (1921–1927) and Basel (until 1958).
The German botanist Oskar Eberhard Ulbrich named the plant genus Aellenia from the foxtail family (Amaranthaceae) in his honor. This was then assigned to the goosefoot family (Chenopodiaceae); However, the genus has currently been dissolved and the species it contains are added to the genus Halothamnus .
- Revision of the Australian and New Zealand Chenopodiaceae ... In: Botan. Jahrb., Volume 68, Pages 345-434, 1937-1938.
- Robert Zander : Zander concise dictionary of plant names . Ed .: Fritz Encke , Günther Buchheim, Siegmund Seybold . 13th, revised and expanded edition. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart 1984, ISBN 3-8001-5042-5 .
- H. Hürlimann: In memory of Paul Aellen (1896–1973) . In: Bauhinia 5 (2), pp. 103-104, 1974
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymic plant names . Extended Edition. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin, Free University Berlin Berlin 2018. 
- Walter Erhardt among others: The great pikeperch. Encyclopedia of Plant Names . Volume 2, page 1871. Verlag Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart 2008. ISBN 978-3-8001-5406-7
- Literature by and about Paul Aellen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Paul Aellen at the IPNI
- Heinrich Zoller: Aellen, Paul. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 13, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|
|DATE OF DEATH||19th August 1973|
|Place of death||Heiligenschwendi|