Tisserand studied mathematics and physics at the École normal supérieure . He was employed as an adjunct at the Paris observatory in 1866 and came to Toulouse in 1873 as director of the observatory , where he also became a professor. In 1878 he was appointed a member of the Paris Academy of Sciences ( Académie des sciences ). In 1883 he succeeded Victor Puiseux on the chair of celestial mechanics at the Sorbonne in Paris. In 1884 he was elected a corresponding member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences . In 1892 he took over the management of the Paris observatory . There he led, among other things, the Carte du Ciel project in the course of which the entire sky should be mapped photographically . At the same time he initiated a photo atlas of the moon, the Atlas photographique de la lune . This was only replaced as an astronomical reference work in the course of the moon landings.
In recognition of this, the lunar crater Tisserand and the asteroid (3663) Tisserand were named after him. Shortly before his death, he developed a criterion for checking cometary orbits, the Tisserand criterion . In his honor, a memorial was unveiled in his birthplace in 1899.
- Traité de mécanique céleste , 4 volumes, 1860
- Thèses présentées à la Faculté des sciences de Paris , 1868
- Sur l'étoile double 70 p Ophiuchus , 1876
- Recueil complémentaire d'exercices sur le calcul infinitésimal , 1877
- Mémoire sur les déplacements séculaires du plan de l'orbite du huitième satellite de Saturne , 1877
- Discours prononcé au nom de l'Observatoire national de Paris , 1883
- Leçons de cosmographie , with Henri Andoyer , 1895
- William I. McLaughlin, Sylvia L. Miller: In the Shadows of Giants. In: Spectrum of Science. 8, 2005, , pp. 86-91 (article on the life and work of the astronomer).
- Information on Félix Tisserand in the database of the Bibliothèque nationale de France .
- Publications by Tisserand in the Astrophysics Data System
- Obituaries for Tisserand in the Astrophysics Data System
- O. Callandreau: Death notice. Astronomische Nachrichten, Vol. 142 (1896), p. 17. (Obituary to FF Tisserand)
- Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 241.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Tisserand, François Félix|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French mathematician and astronomer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 13, 1845|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nuits-Saint-Georges|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 20, 1896|
|Place of death||Paris|