life and work
Trump began studying at the Stuttgart School of Applied Arts in 1912 , but this was interrupted by the First World War. He continued it in 1919 together with Imre Reiner (1900–1987) and Walter Brudi (1907–1987) at FH Ernst Schneidler (1882–1956). From 1923 to 1926 he worked as a ceramist in southern Italy and Sardinia.
Then Trump was a professor at the crafts and arts school in Bielefeld and in 1929 at the master school for Germany's book printers under Paul Renner (1878-1956) together with Jan Tschichold (1902-1974) teacher of font design and typography. From 1931 to 1934 he worked as director of the higher graphic technical college in Berlin.
In 1934 he left Berlin at Renner's request and took over the management of the Munich school after the latter was forced to be recalled by the Nazis. 1930 to 1935 he designed fonts for H. Berthold AG ; from 1937 he worked for the type foundry CE Weber, Stuttgart. From 1939 to 1945 Trump did military service again, where he was seriously wounded shortly before the end of the war.
After 1945 the Munich school was rebuilt. From 1953, after his retirement, Trump worked as a freelance artist. During this time, Trump found increasing international recognition, especially in the USA, where he designed exhibitions in New York, among other places .
In addition to his typeface work, he created an extensive graphic work from posters, book covers and vignettes, through signets and prints to postage stamps.
- In 1982 Trump was awarded the TDC Medal by the Type Directors Club of New York .
- 1983: Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
All writings were published by CE Weber in Stuttgart with the exception of City and Trump Deutsch (H. Berthold, Berlin).
- City (1930-1937)
- Trump German (1936/1937)
- Schadow (1938–1952)
- Forum I (1948)
- Dolphin I (1951)
- Forum II (1952)
- Amati (1951)
- Codex (1954)
- Palomba (1954)
- Trump Mediaeval (1954–1962)
- Dolphin II (1955)
- Signum (1955)
- Time Script (1956-1958)
- Trump engraving (1960)
- Jaguar (1965)
- Mauritius (1968)
- Trump (TR)
- Carter, Sebastian Twentieth Century Type Designers London, New York [WW Norton] 1995
- Lehnacker, Hans [Ed.] Vita Activa. Georg Trump Pictures, Fonts & Typefaces. Munich, Typographic Society Munich 1967.
- Literature by and about Georg Trump in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and list of publications (PDF; 907 kB) on the Klingspor Museum website
- Short biography and list of publications on the Linotype website
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German calligrapher, typographer, graphic artist and teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 10, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brettheim (Rot am See)|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 21, 1985|
|Place of death||Munich|