Bagge's father was the principal at the Coburg grammar school. After Selmar Bagge began his musical studies at an early age, he was a student of Dionys Weber at the Conservatory in Prague from 1837 and later with Simon Sechter in Vienna . From 1851 to 1855 he taught at the conservatory in Vienna, after which he worked as a music critic and journalist. From 1863 to 1865 he was the editor of the Allgemeine musical newspaper .
Bagge married the pianist Justine Wendelstadt (1825–1908), a daughter of the painter Carl Friedrich Wendelstadt, in Frankfurt am Main on August 10, 1854 .
He composed four symphonies , a piano concerto, two masses , chamber music and choral works, songs and piano pieces in the tradition of Beethoven and Schumann . His textbook of musical art became famous .
- Thoughts and views on music and musical states in a series of collected essays , Vienna 1860 ( digital copy )
- Textbook of Tonkunst or General Music Theory. For musicians, amateurs and art lovers , Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel 1873 ( digitized version )
- About musical directions. A lecture given on the occasion of the festive inauguration of the new music school building in Basel, on November 5, 1873 , Basel 1873
- Robert Schumann and his Faust scenes , 1879
- The historical development of the sonata , Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel 1880
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Bagge, Selmar . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 14th part. Imperial-Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1865, p. 387 f. ( Digitized version ).
- G. Eglinger: Selmar Bagge . In: Annual report of the General Music School Basel , Basel 1896/97.
- Adam Adrio : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1953, ISBN 3-428-00182-6 , p. 537 f. ( ).
- Works by and about Selmar Bagge in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Selmar Bagge in the German Digital Library
- Sheet music and audio files by Selmar Bagge in the International Music Score Library Project
- Selmar Bagge estate in the Basel University Library
- Catalog of works on Klassika
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 30, 1823|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Coburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 16, 1896|
|Place of death||Basel|