Karl Abetz was the older brother of the Nazi diplomat Otto Abetz . After completing his school career, Abetz took part in the First World War from 1914 to 1918 . He then studied forest sciences at the TH Karlsruhe and the University of Freiburg and received his doctorate in Freiburg in 1922 with the dissertation “The importance of combining different stages of production for forestry”. He then embarked on an administrative career. After the forest traineeship, he was appointed forest assessor in 1924. Promoted to forestry council, he was employed by the forestry department in the Baden Ministry of Finance from 1927 and from 1928 headed the forestry facility and research institute of the state of Braunschweig. Abetz was appointed head forest master in 1931 and regional forest master in 1933.
After the transfer of power to the National Socialists , Abetz joined the NSDAP on May 1, 1933 . From 1934 he headed the Braunschweig State Forest Administration. In June 1934, Abetz was appointed full professor for forest management and forest management at the Forestry University of Hannoversch-Münden , where from November 1934 he headed the newly founded institute for “forest management and forest management”. Abetz moved to the University of Freiburg in 1935, where he taught as a full professor for forest policy.
After the beginning of the Second World War , he did military service. From 1942 until the end of the war, Abetz was general adviser in the Berlin Reich Forestry Office while retaining his Freiburg professorship. In this function he was the most influential employee of the General Forestry Master Friedrich Alpers and worked on the draft of the Reich Forest Act.
After the war, Abetz stayed in Freiburg again and was imprisoned by the French occupation authorities for a few months. He was also dismissed from his university post. From 1947 he worked for the Baden state forest administration. Abetz was only able to resume his professorship at the university in 1949. In addition, until his death he was in charge of the business administration department at the Baden-Württemberg Forest Research and Research Institute.
Abetz was editor of the magazine Allgemeine Forst und Jagdzeitung . He published in particular on the topics of forest management and forest taxation.
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Helsinki (1957)
- Since 1972, the Karl Abetz Prize , founded in 1971, has been awarded by the Faculty of Forestry at the University of Freiburg for outstanding theses and dissertations i. d. Usually awarded every two years.
- E. Assmann: Karl Abetz †. In: Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt. Volume 83, No. 3/4, 1964, pp. 118-121.
- G. Hildebrandt: Prof. Dr. Dr. hc Karl Abetz †. In: Forest Archive. Volume 35, No. 6, 1964, pp. 124-129.
- F. Kropp, Z. Rozsnyay: Lower Saxony forest biography: a source volume. In: Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Forests (ed.): From the forest. Volume 51, Hannover 1998, pp. 29-34.
- K. Mantel: Professor Abetz - an obituary for his work. In: The forest and wood host. Volume 19, No. 4, 1964, pp. 73-74.
- Abetz, Karl. In: Bernd Ottnad (Ed.): Badische Biographien . New series, Volume I, Stuttgart 1982, p. 4 f.
- H. Rubner: German Forest History 1933–1945. 2nd Edition. St. Katharinen 1997.
- Silke Seemann: The political cleansing of the teaching staff of the Freiburg University after the end of the Second World War (1945–1957) . Freiburg 2002.
- J. Speer: Karl Abetz in memory. In: Allg. Forest and hunting newspaper. Volume 135, No. 4, 1964, pp. 85-87.
- J. Speer: The memory of Karl Abetz. In: Allgemeine Forstzeitschrift. Volume 19, No. 19, 1964, p. 243.
- Literature by and about Karl Abetz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biographical information on important foresters (PDF; 119 kB) at http://www.fwl.wi.tum.de
- Roderich von Detten: Karl Abetz - a biographical sketch
- Ernst Klee: Das Personenlexikon zum Third Reich , Frankfurt am Main 2007, p. 9.
- Forest archive, volumes 28-30, M. & H. Schaper., 1957
- Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg - Karl Abetz Prize
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German forest scientist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 29, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Building block|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 28, 1964|
|Place of death||Freiburg in Breisgau|