Karl Ludwig of Austria
Karl Ludwig was the third son of Archduke Franz Karl after the later Emperor Franz Joseph I and the later Emperor Maximilian of Mexico . After the death of Emperor Maximilian of Mexico in 1867 he was the oldest living brother of Emperor Franz Joseph I and therefore - from the death of Crown Prince Rudolf in 1889 until his own death - heir to the throne. He was the father of Franz Ferdinand (heir to the throne 1896–1914) and Archduke Otto Franz Joseph , father of the last Emperor of Austria, Karl I.
Karl Ludwig's highest political function was that of the Imperial and Royal Governor in Tyrol . He was appointed by Franz Joseph I in 1855. In 1861 he gave up the office when the emperor with the February patent enacted an imperial constitution that subordinated the governor to the minister of the interior; He considered this inappropriate for a member of the ruling family.
After the death of Crown Prince Rudolf in 1889, he was automatically heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy . Karl Ludwig died of an illness that he contracted on a trip to Egypt and Palestine when he drank (contaminated) Jordan water for religious reasons . There he visited his son Franz Ferdinand, who was curing his tuberculosis in Cairo .
Marriages and offspring
- Franz Ferdinand (1863–1914) ⚭ 1900 Countess Sophie Josephine Albina , daughter of Count Bohuslaw Chotek-Chotkova and Wognin and his wife, Countess Wilhelmine Kinsky von Wchinitz and Tettau
- Otto Franz Joseph (1865–1906) ⚭ 1886 Princess Maria Josepha , daughter of King George I of Saxony and his wife Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal
- Ferdinand Karl Ludwig (1868–1915), (Ferdinand Burg) ⚭ 1909 Berta Czuber, daughter of the university professor Emanuel Czuber
- Margarete Sophie (1870–1902) ⚭ 1893 Duke Albrecht of Württemberg , son of Duke Philipp of Württemberg and his wife Archduchess Marie Therese of Austria
- Maria Annunziata (1876–1961), abbess in Prague
- Elisabeth Amalie (1878–1960) ⚭ 1903 Prince Alois , son of Prince Alfred von und zu Liechtenstein and his wife Princess Henriette of Liechtenstein
|Pedigree of Karl Ludwig of Austria|
Karl Ludwig of Austria
- Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL). Volume 3, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1965, p. 240. In:
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Habsburg, Karl Ludwig . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 6th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1860, pp. 395–397 ( digitized version ).
- Oscar Criste: Karl Ludwig . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 51, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1906, pp. 53-56.
- Biography in the Austrian Biographical Lexicon of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Friedrich Weissensteiner : Franz Ferdinand - The prevented ruler . Öst.Bundesverlag, 1983
|SURNAME||Karl Ludwig of Austria|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Karl Ludwig Joseph Maria of Austria (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian Archduke and heir to the throne|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 30, 1833|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna - Schönbrunn|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 19, 1896|
|Place of death||Vienna - Schönbrunn|