Negri studied at the universities of Pavia , Graz , Vienna and Prague . In 1843 he was appointed " Professor of Political Science " at the University of Padua. During the Wars of Independence in 1848 he was one of the first professors to take the Italian side. As the rector of the university, Negri armed the students, but had to evacuate the city on June 10, 1848 after the fall of Vicenza. He turned to Turin , where he soon became rector of the university and entered the ministry under Vincenzo Gioberti .
After the battle of Novara he became director of the consular system in the Foreign Office and kept this position, in which he got to know almost every country in Europe on his missions, including under Massimo d'Azeglio , Urbano Rattazzi and Camillo Benso von Cavour . After the government moved to Florence, he founded the Italian Geographical Society there in 1867 (today's seat in Rome) and headed it until 1872. His last official position was the administration of the Consulate General in Hamburg 1873–74. Since then he has lived secluded in Turin.
- La grandezza italiana. Studi, confronti e desiderii . Tipografia Paravia, Turin 1864.
- Idea elementari per una legge in materia di acque , 1864
- La storia politica dell'antichita . Venice 1867 (3 vols., German translation by Karl von Reinhardstöttner Hamburg 1882)
- Memorie storico-politiche dei Greci e dei Romani . Turin 1842.
- Due Mesi si escursione alle coste Belgiche, Olandesi e Germaniche. Ricordi e riflessioni . Gazetta, Florence 1871.
- I Passati viaggi antartici e l'ideata spedizione italiana. Riflessi . Is. de 'Sordo-Muti, Genoa 1880.
- Le memorie di Giorgio Pallavicino . Turin 1882.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Negri, Christoforo . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 20th part. Imperial-Royal Court and State Printing House, Vienna 1869, p. 130 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Karl von Reinhardstöttner: Cristoforo Negri Nota biografica . Luglio, Florence 1889 (reprint from Bollettino della Società Geografica Italiana ).
- D. Giglio: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 7, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1978, ISBN 3-7001-0187-2 , p. 57 f. (Direct links on , ). In:
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian politician, diplomat and geographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 13, 1809|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Milan|
|DATE OF DEATH||1896|